ADVERTISEMENT

Is UL interested in coming to the B1G?

jimmygoiu

No-Ranking Prospect
Sep 5, 2001
With all of the changes, UL has been discussed as a potential B1G member. Would that be of interest to the UL fans? TIA

Warning: OP is a IU fan. Looks like he’s a repeat offender here for being, well a typical IU fan.

Reactions: gocds
There were some who were adamant the ACC would never invite UL. If (huge if) OSU and/or Michigan leave the BIG for the SEC, those remnants will be looking directly at UL and WVU as natural candidates for replacement.

I now doubt that any team LEAVES the Big 10. Buyout is very high. What the chance may be is 2-4 team expansion.

It seems 20 team leagues are the goal.

I mean the 2 conference guaranteed not to be gutted from expansion are the $EC and BIG TEN. The Big Ten has more money and exposure, and the teams are somewhat closer to our area. Not to mention, a strong basketball league as well.

If they offered, I'd jump quickly.

We've always been more of a midwestern city in my opinion.

More natural rivalries to get the fan base excited.

IU, Purdue, Ohio State, and Illinois are so close and would be geographical fits.
Michigan State & Michigan are always in our way to a title in March. We have some history with Rutgers too. Not to mention that games against a Wisconsin would be fun too.

That's been my 1 issue with the ACC, we just don't feel connected to the league. I don't know if it's because the teams are either too southern or too far into the northeast, but unless it's a national brand like Duke basketball or Clemson football, a lot of the games dont have that edge like they used to. The Big East basketball felt fun and all the games were big. The Big East football slate we had WVU & Cincy like old times.

I doubt this is a serious scenario. I think the ACC grant of rights runs until 2035-ish, making the scenario impossible unless the ACC completely dissolves (and why would it, the grant or rights runs until 2035 lol).

Reactions: CardsFirst
I'm still pissed about the loss of Big East basketball, by the way. The Saturday night BET championship was must-see TV.
It never felt like a "club" in that league. They embraced us from day 1.

The ACC has been nice, but in hoops it pretty much caters to Duke and UNC, and now Virginia is getting on that level.

Nah I'm good. I hate the big ten and most of their schools. I'd rather join the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmac1029
Well that ain’t ever, ever gonna happen. The cayuts would always black ball UofL.

GO CARDS!!!
I mean they said the same thing about A&M and USC , but the SEC is going after Texas and maybe Clemson. I think if it brings in money that pact goes out the window.

It never felt like a "club" in that league. They embraced us from day 1.

The ACC has been nice, but in hoops it pretty much caters to Duke and UNC, and now Virginia is getting on that level.
We start winning and we would get the same coverage. Packed and Durham always include us in that tier. The last couple of years have been rough things will improve

I mean they said the same thing about A&M and USC , but the SEC is going after Texas and maybe Clemson. I think if it brings in money that pact goes out the window.
Pact what pact. The grant of rights holds the ACC together. The buyout is in the 420K range per team. No ones leaving the ACC anytime soon.

Pact what pact. The grant of rights holds the ACC together. The buyout is in the 420K range per team. No ones leaving the ACC anytime soon.
Apparently there has been an agreement between UK, USC, A&M, and Florida that they wouldn't let the in state rivals in. I don't think anyone is leaving the ACC.

Clemson has absolutely no motivation to leave the ACC; please someone show me how that would improve any single aspect of their program. They sellout every home game, they compete for a NC every year and are recognized as one of the best college football programs in this country.

The ACC is rock solid, and anyone who tells you the other ACC schools want UL out of the conference are members of the tiny and irrelevant Jerry Eaves fan club.

Personally I think Louisville should join the AFC North. If you're going to bolt, bolt big time.

No one is leaving the ACC until 2035 or as we approach it. Someone besides Clemson needs to start winning games though if it wants to continue beyond that.

"Clemson has absolutely no motivation to leave the ACC; please someone show me how that would improve any single aspect of their program. They sellout every home game, they compete for a NC every year and are recognized as one of the best college football programs in this country.

The ACC is rock solid, and anyone who tells you the other ACC schools want UL out of the conference are members of the tiny and irrelevant Jerry Eaves fan club.
Texas had every reason to stay in the Big 12. Their own network. Control over the league. Easy schedule. Sellout every home game. If they were to win, they'd compete for a title every year. Same as Oklahoma. Both recruited just fine. Until it wasn't fine.

Like Don Draper said in Mad Men in a pitch to get a new client.

"Are you? You're happy with 50%? You're on top and you don't have enough. You're happy because you're successful. For now. But what is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness. I won't settle for 50% of anything. I want 100%. You're happy with your agency? You're not happy with anything. You don't want most of it, you want all of it. And I won't stop until you get all of it.

Does Clemson feel solid today? Yes. Is the ACC solid today, Yes.
But look at it like this, they start seeing the Big Ten and SEC teams make a super conference. They start getting several millions more per year. People start to look at the SEC/Big Ten as the only games that matter, it makes their games less of a value.

Think about the SEC going to 9 games, who will Clemson schedule if they can't get the big matchups? On Clemson's schedule, they have only 1 team that's preseason top 25 and that's Georgia in week 1. The new landscape will have less games like that. If their games matter less, it will hurt seeding. It will give the SEC bigger advantages in facilities and coaching hires. Recruits will still go to Clemson, but SEC/Big Ten super-conference will have more appeal for top prospects and transfers. They'll want to play in games that matter.

It's little things that lead to this build up. If there's a several million difference, it changes things. I don't care about "oh the contract is great and the SEC and Big Ten are just hype" because hype matters and branding matters. If we don't get ND in the ACC full time it's going to be bad for the league.

It's all about $ right?

If Clemson feels it's in their best interest financially to flip, they'd do it, if they can legally.

It's a pretty up in the air time and ya gotta hope UofL doesn't get left out on the carousel.

Lefors:
Texas unlike Clemson is not considered a favorite every year to be a NC contender. There is no evidence that Texas is remotely close to dominating the BIG 12, conversely there is significant evidence that Clemson will continue to dominate the ACC.

Reactions: gocds
Lefors:
Texas unlike Clemson is not considered a favorite every year to be a NC contender. There is no evidence that Texas is remotely close to dominating the BIG 12, conversely there is significant evidence that Clemson will continue to dominate the ACC.
That's just because Texas isn't good right now. But if you give them the right coach, their program is on another level than Clemson. Their money, brand, and recruiting base is way better.

And you all keep looking at circumstances as they are TODAY. You aren't thinking about it if things change. If the playoffs expand to 12 teams, then what will dominating the ACC mean. Yeah, right NOW with 4 teams it's best for them to dominate a weak ACC. But if it gets to a points where 3 loss SEC teams can make the playoffs, all while making more money and being able to draw in more recruits.

An expanded playoff and more money will give the SEC better money, recruiting, and seeding. The SEC will be a NFL minor league and all their games will be considered bigger. Whether its true or not, that's how ESPN will portray it.

I mean should we go back to the AAC? I mean seriously, we were dominating it and constantly ranked in the Top 25. We got to 2 BCS bowls and were national title contenders. It's been much harder in the ACC and we seemed to look better when we had a clear path to a BCS bowl and top 15 ranking. We moved because of $$$. I mean would you trade places with Cincy right now or would they kill to be in our spot? Miami and VT haven't been national title contenders since leaving the Big East either, would they go back? No.

If we don't make a move to get ND and WVY, then we risk losing Clemson and ND. Contracts can be broken so don't think the rights deal matters. If ESPN thinks adding ND to the Big Ten will make them better, they'll find a way around it.

If, If and more Ifs Lefors ……… Texas fans have been waiting for this anticipated domination for decades; I expect the SEC competition will drill them further down the food chain.

ADVERTISEMENT