ADVERTISEMENT

Interim-President Greg Postel

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
I have been very disappointed to hear the continual doubts, accusations, and distrust of the current Inter-President Greg Postel by many on this message board, the media, and even Howie and Jack. I understand that everyone is upset, I am in that camp as well, but throwing stones or casting doubts on Postel is unaffair and counter-productive. Everyone needs to put yourself in the shoes of the President and think about what are his responsibilities and what he's dealing with:

1) He is the Interim-President of the University of Louisville! Not the Inter-President of the Louisville Athletics Corporation. I was so happy to see him on Wednesday standing behind a podium with the Minerva seal of the University. For many of you, you may not realize that this is the seal that represents the Academic side of the University, not the Cardinal bird head. Personally, it's bothered me as Alumnus of the University and University volunteer to see how the Cardinal bird head is everywhere now on campus (thanks President Ramsey). I'm fine with it being on athletic buildings, painted on the roads, but it's been plastered everywhere, even on academic signage. What other university puts their mascot logo all over campus? To me its just another sign of how warped this school has become with regards to athletics, athletics (tail) has been wagging the dog (school) for too long. What you're seeing is resetting of the chairs on the deck, which was long overdue.

images
CyNNonZUoAAzMY9.jpg

2) Postel serves at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees, so their influence upon his decisions must be considered.

3) Postel's focus should be academics and fundraising for the university, but ever since he's stepped foot in the President's office its been nothing but athletic scandals. Being that he's trying to raise the academic profile of the school and raise money, these scandals have been nothing but counter-productive to his agenda and the school's.

4) Tom Jurich as VP of Athletics, reports to Postel and is tasked with ensuring that his department complies with the rules of the NCAA and unfortunately, he has failed miserably over the past few years. Yes, the scandals are only in basketball, but that's the face of the university's athletics. THE FREAKING FBI HAS BEEN ON UOFL'S CAMPUS....LET THAT SINK IN.

5) You have to ask yourself, if Postel did or was to ask Jurich to fire Pitino and he refused to do so (as many have speculated in the media), then how can Postel continue to employ one of his VP's who will not follow his direction? Especially when Tom Jurich would have more than enough reasons to fire that employee.

I am so tired of seeing "LOUISVILLE" every morning on the bottom line of ESPN. If it's bothering me as much as it is, then I can't imagine how it feels to be an long-time employee and President of the University you love. So, give the man a chance and quit trying to undermine him. I personally think he's doing a fantastic job.

Last edited:
i heard jack coffee on howie this mornign and he had completely different take. he said coffee had said previously that he didn't believe in athletics and eh believes postel is fighting for money to go to the things he wants money for instead of athletics. said basically a power struggle and he's jealous of jurich and that athletics are the money maker on campus. he said postel doesn't like this and wants to exert his control over things and get money for his areas he wants improved even though athletics generates all the money. not my opionion just what i heard but definiteyl a different viewpoint form the OP

I have been very disappointed to hear the continual doubts, accusations, and distrust of the current Inter-President Greg Postel by many on this message board, the media, and even Howie and Jack. I understand that everyone is upset, I am in that camp as well, but throwing stones or casting doubts on Postel is unaffair and counter-productive. Everyone needs to put yourself in the shoes of the President and think about what are his responsibilities and what he's dealing with:

1) He is the Interim-President of the University of Louisville! Not the Inter-President of the Louisville Athletics Corporation. I was so happy to see him on Wednesday standing behind a podium with the Minerva seal of the University. For many of you, you may not realize that this is the seal that represents the Academic side of the University, not the Cardinal bird head. Personally, it's bothered me as Alumnus of the University and University volunteer to see how the Cardinal bird head is everywhere now on campus (thanks President Ramsey). I'm fine with it being on athletic buildings, painted on the roads, but it's been plastered everywhere, even on academic signage. What other university puts their mascot logo all over campus? To me its just another sign of how warped this school has become with regards to athletics, athletics (tail) has been wagging the dog (school) for too long. What you're seeing is resetting of the chairs on the deck, which was long overdue.

images
CyNNonZUoAAzMY9.jpg

2) Postel serves at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees, so their influence upon his decisions must be considered.

3) Postel's focus should be academics and fundraising for the university, but ever since he's stepped foot in the President's office its been nothing but athletic scandals. Being that he's trying to raise the academic profile of the school and raise money, these scandals have been nothing but counter-productive to his agenda and the school's.

4) Tom Jurich as VP of Athletics, reports to Postel and is tasked with ensuring that his department complies with the rules of the NCAA and unfortunately, he has failed miserably over the past few years. Yes, the scandals are only in basketball, but that's the face of the university's athletics. THE FREAKING FBI HAS BEEN ON UOFL'S CAMPUS....LET THAT SINK IN.

5) You have to ask yourself, if Postel did or was to ask Jurich to fire Pitino and he refused to do so (as many have speculated in the media), then how can Postel continue to employ one of his VP's who will not follow his direction? Especially when Tom Jurich would have more than enough reasons to fire that employee.

I am so tired of seeing "LOUISVILLE" every morning on the bottom line of ESPN. If it's bothering me as much as it is, then I can't imagine how it feels to be an long-time employee and President of the University you love. So, give the man a chance and quit trying to undermine him. I personally think he's doing a fantastic job.

That’s all well and good but that dogs tail has been the catalyst that moved this University forward academically as well as athletically. It’s what moved us into the ACC. Do you think if we relied on academics we would be in the ACC. Also the Cardinal is the mascot for our University and the students whether you like it or not relate to that more than the crest. Now I do like that Postel stood behind the crest as the President should. But don’t belittle what Jurich and athletics has done for this University.
I think the issues with Postel is just the unknown. If he handles this correctly and in favor of UL then he’ll be fine if not they’ll be a mutiny. There are to many characters on the BOT that many question their motives. I for one believe many do not have the best interest of the University in mind. Starting with Grissom.
As an Alum sports is my best connection to the University, it’s also how my kids became interested in UL and then students and now alumni.
Yes BB needs to be cleaned up but the others sports are clean. And I hate what going on but there are many issues outside of athletics that are much bigger like oh let’s see how about accreditation for one.

I love UofL and what Bevin, Grissom and Postel are doing is vital to the resurrection of Louisville's academic reputation and financial welfare. I am sorry the University needs to cleansed and the cleaning has to start now. Same is true for the Athletic Department.

Lol. What academic reputation? Other than WVU, UofL has always been a lower tier academic school. Not hating on that. They've always served an urban mission. That's part of it.

That’s all well and good but that dogs tail has been the catalyst that moved this University forward academically as well as athletically. It’s what moved us into the ACC. Do you think if we relied on academics we would be in the ACC. Also the Cardinal is the mascot for our University and the students whether you like it or not relate to that more than the crest. Now I do like that Postel stood behind the crest as the President should. But don’t belittle what Jurich and athletics has done for this University.
I think the issues with Postel is just the unknown. If he handles this correctly and in favor of UL then he’ll be fine if not they’ll be a mutiny. There are to many characters on the BOT that many question their motives. I for one believe many do not have the best interest of the University in mind. Starting with Grissom.
As an Alum sports is my best connection to the University, it’s also how my kids became interested in UL and then students and now alumni.
Yes BB needs to be cleaned up but the others sports are clean. And I hate what going on but there are many issues outside of athletics that are much bigger like oh let’s see how about accreditation for one.
Top 5 post of the week.

Spot on - as an Alum I couldn't agree more with this. The relationship between Ramsey and Jurich and their love of this university were the engine behind our rise over the last decade. If you go from the Campus in in the early 2000's and now it's completely different. It's not just buildings, it's programs, opportunities, mindset, and results. We are not and have never been a land grant university with the full backing of a state government holding us up on a pedestal. I have said this before but we have had to fight and claw our way to where we are today. Name another university that has had the growth and success as ours (overall) over the past 20 years? Good Luck. Yes we have run into some challenges that should and are being addressed (yes good bye RP), but political interference should not have been the answer and is the driving reason we were put on probation academically.

The academic department could not get us here on their own...it took partnering with an athletic department to really ignite the boosters (full pun intended) to drive us further up.

I'm good with giving Postel a chance but he has to show me that he LOVES this university. That's what I expect and require from a President. Every waking thought is on how we can be more and achieve more. Every waking action should be on making those thoughts a reality. Nothing he has done has shown me that yet. He has yet to show me that he can see that Academics and Athletics need to be partners and serve to enable one another to enhance their own successes as well as lift one another up from challenges.

I expect a Board to be of comparable mindset...but slightly different. Much like a parent with kids in high school, they should be enablers to our success and ideas while also holding us accountable for our (the President and summarily University representatives) actions. Our success is their success and that should drive their motives and action. I'm also not sold on this being the case for the current board (nor the Governor who appointed them based on the previous statements).

That's the reason I have not nor see a reason to donate since the regime change. Without a healthy athletics department there will not be a healthy university. Without a healthy university there is no healthy Louisville (economically but also in other regards). Without a healthy Louisville there is no health Kentucky (the Greater Louisville Area is a driver of too much along many socio-economic and comparable avenues). If certain people haven't learned that lesson...then we all will get a healthy reminder in the coming days, weeks, and months.

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts -

If the future success of the athletics dept depends on Tom Jurich being at the helm, then perhaps TJ hasn't done a good enough job building the infrastructure. Some people are builders and some are maintainers. He is great at building but not sure about maintaining.

At some point UofL needs to consider outside perception especially in light of the fact that it only takes 3/4 vote to remove a school from the ACC. In the 2 major sports that matter, UofL looks like a renegade, win at all costs program. If Postel bows down to Jurich, this perception that athletics is the tail wagging the dog will only continue.

Couple of thoughts -

If the future success of the athletics dept depends on Tom Jurich being at the helm, then perhaps TJ hasn't done a good enough job building the infrastructure. Some people are builders and some are maintainers. He is great at building but not sure about maintaining.

At some point UofL needs to consider outside perception especially in light of the fact that it only takes 3/4 vote to remove a school from the ACC. In the 2 major sports that matter, UofL looks like a renegade, win at all costs program. If Postel bows down to Jurich, this perception that athletics is the tail wagging the dog will only continue.

I can see some degree of agreement but there is a very clear difference in evaluating "future success" when implementing a well designed transition/succession plan when one is retiring versus "Hey it's Wednesday we just fired the top guy, let's see how the system responds."

I would also say that he has done quite an exemplary job of maintaining what he has built. There are very few programs that have regressed, very steady climb in almost all regards and sustained excellence for many.

The point I would concede is that I don't see a clear succession plan on who he is grooming to replace him. That could very well exist and be established within the department and it simply hasn't made itself known (or more widely known). Alternatively, he could very well just not be ready to start setting up his retirement and wishes to continue in his role for the foreseeable future. In either case I'm not loosing too much sleep on the topic as of yet.

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts -

Louisville isn’t in the ACC except for Jurich.

Couple of thoughts -

Ok I’ll bite what sport besides BB? And as far as maintaining well 21 out of 22 sports are clean. If you bring up that playbook deal get over it. That was ridiculous. Jurich is an expert at building and maintaining and in this business if you’re not moving forward your backing up. It’s that plain and simple. I think some people either weren’t around or have forgotten where we started and what Jurich has done for this University. He deserves to go out with respect and admiration not fired for being to loyal to a coach that most in the fan base wanted to give another chance too. Everyone one has a right to their opinion, but watch what you wish for because that BOT may or may not be in our corner. And that is a huge concern.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Couple of thoughts -

And if that’s not good enough how about top University for Title lV and a graduation rate of 83%. Looks like he’s maintaining and moving forward.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
ADVERTISEMENT