ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting the Media didn't kill Louisville close win...

Feb 19, 2003
or diminish the chances of Lamar Jackson winning the Heisman...got that from watching ESPN Gameday this morning and the halftime segment on the ABC Game. Just win and to quote Green Bay Packers All Pro QB Aaron Rodgers...R-E-L-A-X...

I was going to start a thread on this, but this one works fine...

We as fans tend to look at the downside in situations like this game. But it can't be argued that what we saw last nite was a show of respect and pretty much a complete sell-out on the part of a good coach and disciplined football team to win a game. Duke pretty much knew if it tried to stand toe-to-toe with U of L, it probably would have been a five-touchdown blowout. NOT trying to control the clock and limit U of L's possessions is suicide for most teams. But they do that stuff when they're playing in a Super Bowl.

If this had been our basketball team winning a 60-50 game against a mid-level ACC team, we would be thinking more constructively after a similar slowdown game. Because it's football, because we want to now see more style points, and because some of us think we still have something to prove about the legitimacy of our football program, we think a little differently.

It doesn't surprise me that some national pundits see last nite's result in a sl. different light. Last nite's game was good on a few fronts... You learned how far other teams will go to win a game, maybe even trying to play a different style of football. You learned how well your team and individual players will handle a situation where they don't get to execute plays exactly like they want to or have in the past. And you got a win anyway, on national TV and in front of good crowd.

Great programs who eke out tough games when the opponent is completely selling out to get the "W" still get credit for that situation...

Last edited:
A lot of these conference games are going to be tough. They are more important and the teams are more familiar with each other. I thought Duke had a great game plan and they executed it well. We need to be prepared to see more teams using the same strategy.
This is one of the weekends every year where there are usually a lot of upsets and we survived it. Right now late in the 3rd quarter Clemson is tied with NC State 10-10 at Clemson.

A lot of these conference games are going to be tough. They are more important and the teams are more familiar with each other. I thought Duke had a great game plan and they executed it well. We need to be prepared to see more teams using the same strategy.
This is one of the weekends every year where there are usually a lot of upsets and we survived it. Right now late in the 3rd quarter Clemson is tied with NC State 10-10 at Clemson.

This is Big Boy Football...A Win is A Win is A Win...

To springboard off some these informed comments, I think most people who follow college football know how good a coach Cutcliffe is. In fact ESPN had a poll where they asked which coach given a bye week would they least like to face....and Cutcliffe was picked 3rd, up there with Saban and Meyer.

It was what happens when a well coached team plays their guts out and as others have said Duke knew their only chance was to play relentless defense and try to keep Lamar and our offense off the field.

It also is what happens when you get inside your opponents 15 yard line 3 times and come up with zero points in a conference game as the Cards did last night. Going to have to finish drives to beat NC State next week.

Duke's grit was impressive and them playing with 5 defensive backs seemed to have worked. Lamar was tentative at times mainly because our receivers were having trouble getting open.

It was what happens when a well coached team plays their guts out and as others have said Duke knew their only chance was to play relentless defense and try to keep Lamar and our offense off the field.

It also is what happens when you get inside your opponents 15 yard line 3 times and come up with zero points in a conference game as the Cards did last night. Going to have to finish drives to beat NC State next week.

Duke's grit was impressive and them playing with 5 defensive backs seemed to have worked. Lamar was tentative at times mainly because our receivers were having trouble getting open.

Lamar had a lot of problems passing last night, not all of that was coverage. He'll get better.

Lamar had a lot of problems passing last night, not all of that was coverage. He'll get better.
No doubt he was not as sharp as he has been. That beautiful call and play fake on 3rd down was an ugly overthrow to a wide open TE.

Like you said, he's going to get better and what I did like was that he threw no picks and didn't take unnecessary chances when our guys were covered. It's also amazing that he runs for 144 yards and it just looks normal at best.

or diminish the chances of Lamar Jackson winning the Heisman...got that from watching ESPN Gameday this morning and the halftime segment on the ABC Game. Just win and to quote Green Bay Packers All Pro QB Aaron Rodgers...R-E-L-A-X...

Duke is very well coached. That long drive of theirs late was a thing of beauty. Cards still won by 10 coming out sleepy from a bye week. It seems like bye weeks are great for getting healthy but when the other team is NOT coming off a bye, the performance seems sluggish. Duke was down 3 late and had a chance to win this game, but the Cards did what they needed to.

Other good teams struggled this weekend, too. It's a win, relax. I see a more vintage performance coming against NCST.

With all due respect. I must be watching other shows, because I'm hearing the Duke game hurt us. People are saying it hurt our chances.

Duke is very well coached. That long drive of theirs late was a thing of beauty. Cards still won by 10 coming out sleepy from a bye week. It seems like bye weeks are great for getting healthy but when the other team is NOT coming off a bye, the performance seems sluggish. Duke was down 3 late and had a chance to win this game, but the Cards did what they needed to.

Other good teams struggled this weekend, too. It's a win, relax. I see a more vintage performance coming against NCST.
Duke never had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead in the 4th Qtr.

Herbstreit said that we didn't play great but it's a long season and those games are to be expected. But pointed out that we played through it and won and bottom line that's what needs to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT