ADVERTISEMENT

IMHO Some team, probably sUcKy is going to go all Tranfers, no undergrads

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
honestly, someone should just go all in and build a team entirely of experience laden transfer's. cal will prbably do it and reinvent the game again, but screw recruiting freshman, get 13 seniors who want to play and win and you'd probably be guaranteed a final four run. you heard it hear first folks

Iowa St pretty much did that a few years ago, I think a lot of teams were trending there. What are there, 1200 guys in the transfer portal? Wasn't Arky a lot of transfers?

UNC tried something close to that in 2020 and mixed in with some freshman and it was a disaster.

Some teams may have no choice. I think I read that 6 Cincinnati players entered the Portal, and that was before their coach got canned. Also, I don't think they had any freshmen coming in.

This will be the wild Wild West until the 1 time transfer comes into play. Once a player transfer they probably aren’t transferring again because of having to sit out 1 year.

Recruiting high school players gets real tricky. Most are a gamble and need development which they don’t have the patience for.

We can thank Saint John and coach K for this new world. The promotion of one and done has played a significant role in the devaluing of a college education which 95% of the players need.

Reactions: Mayoman
I hate to defend Calipari, but I don't think he's responsible for 1AD. 1AD is a direct result of the NBA's draft restriction that forced high school players back into college for a year. Cal, Coach K and others benefitted from the policy for sure. But these guys were "matriculating" from freshman year to the NBA regardless of what college team they were on.

I hate to defend Calipari, but I don't think he's responsible for 1AD. 1AD is a direct result of the NBA's draft restriction that forced high school players back into college for a year. Cal, Coach K and others benefitted from the policy for sure. But these guys were "matriculating" from freshman year to the NBA regardless of what college team they were on.

A good reason to return to the old rule of Freshman ineligibility so they get time to adjust to the demands of college life educational requirements.

Do away with this thought process of 'I want to go to t he league now' one and done BS that has perverted the CBB game and some normalcy of being a student athlete and not a minor league ball player.

An education is forever....a BB career is fleeting at best....and a get rich quick scheme that the majority of BB players never get to see anyway % wise.

A good reason to return to the old rule of Freshman ineligibility so they get time to adjust to the demands of college life educational requirements.

Do away with this thought process of 'I want to go to t he league now' one and done BS that has perverted the CBB game and some normalcy of being a student athlete and not a minor league ball player.

An education is forever....a BB career is fleeting at best....and a get rich quick scheme that the majority of BB players never get to see anyway % wise.
LOL, how dare players try and make money when they can instead of playing for free. Cbb stopped being about being an education a long time ago and it wasn't the players that did it. It wasn't long ago we were complaining about Mahmoud caring more about speed school than bball. Fans are only loyal as long as players are winning sitting quietly giving canned feel good answers without expressing a real opinion.

I think it is funny when someone thinks that a college education, room & board and books is no big deal. Most of these athletes will never make it in the pro’s but with a college education they have a chance at making a good living. That is why I am glad that they are starting that league where you can go right from high school.
This is great for the NBA because now they can evaluate a player for $100,000 instead of signing him to a million dollar contract just to watch him flop. It also gets rid of these players who think they are being cheated by not being paid ( or should I say their parents aren’t getting paid)?

Reactions: Mayoman
LOL, how dare players try and make money when they can instead of playing for free. Cbb stopped being about being an education a long time ago and it wasn't the players that did it. It wasn't long ago we were complaining about Mahmoud caring more about speed school than bball. Fans are only loyal as long as players are winning sitting quietly giving canned feel good answers without expressing a real opinion.
LoL. See Kosmas answer.

Look beyond the trees to see the forest.

If its only about making money.....go to the G league or overseas to play and skiip college.

Getting to play basketball to get a 4 year d degree that you will have for a lifetime and is something that can't be taken away from you, is invaluable and enhances your lifetime earning capacity.

Making it to the NBA is statistically a low % of success for the majority of players that aspire to that profession....the many that don't make it will be able to use that degree in hand aiding them in the path to financial success for life.

One unfortunate injury ends a career in basketball swiftly....having a degree gives a security net to fall back on and the injury does not prevent the potential success in another career opportunity outside of basketball or football, etc., etc.

The NCAA and the media have bastardized the idea of student athlete and only the fans and those athlete/students that see the value of a college degree can flip this system as it currently exists. College is not for everyone.

Go to the G league and make it to the NBA that way. And college and pro coaches alike could recommend that way to the young men and women of today and not push them to one year 1 or 2 years in college, etc, etc----

Or the young ones themselves can wake up to the benefits of having a college degree and what it means over a lifetime of earnings versus not making it to the pros.

LoL. See Kosmas answer.

Look beyond the trees to see the forest.

If its only about making money.....go to the G league or overseas to play and skiip college.

Getting to play basketball to get a 4 year d degree that you will have for a lifetime and is something that can't be taken away from you, is invaluable and enhances your lifetime earning capacity.

Making it to the NBA is statistically a low % of success for the majority of players that aspire to that profession....the many that don't make it will be able to use that degree in hand aiding them in the path to financial success for life.

One unfortunate injury ends a career in basketball swiftly....having a degree gives a security net to fall back on and the injury does not prevent the potential success in another career opportunity outside of basketball or football, etc., etc.

The NCAA and the media have bastardized the idea of student athlete and only the fans and those athlete/students that see the value of a college degree can flip this system as it currently exists. College is not for everyone.

Go to the G league and make it to the NBA that way. And college and pro coaches alike could recommend that way to the young men and women of today and not push them to one year 1 or 2 years in college, etc, etc----

Or the young ones themselves can wake up to the benefits of having a college degree and what it means over a lifetime of earnings versus not making it to the pros.

Most players go to college for multiple seasons and graduate. Throughout the Ncaa's multiple divisions they dont even sniff the nba do just as you say. We dont care about any of those guys. We care about the few good enough to win D1 championships and possibly having pro aspirations staying instead of making money for themselves but make tons for a league thats pro in every way except paying players.

Its not like schools steer guys towrad tough degrees. That would interfere with bball. See Mahmoud or Aaron Craft for tOSU. There is a reason there are tons of communications majors.

Last edited:
I disagree with you in regards to your statement that we don’t care about the players that aren’t pro material. I cheer for all the Cardinal players in all sports and I can honestly say that the athletes in our non revenue sports work just as hard as the athletes trying to make it as a pro athlete. I also don’t think it is up to a university to choose the major that a student wishes to study. I don’t know if you have ever attended college or not but there really is no easy major.
Someone who majors in Physical Education has to take the same core curriculum courses that a biology major has to take. Everyone should look up what courses each major requires before they think one is easier than the other. The only exception I would agree with is medical school or law school because of the length or number of courses that are required to earn their degree.

Reactions: rh62531
gocards1987:

to the contrary, most schools, particularly UL is totally committed to educating their scholarship athletes and obtaining graduation. It is the fans who seem to be enamored with attracting OaD recruits with NBA potential. My favorite UL players stayed for all 4 years and graduated; some never got a professional sniff, but they were a joy to watch.

I disagree with you in regards to your statement that we don’t care about the players that aren’t pro material. I cheer for all the Cardinal players in all sports and I can honestly say that the athletes in our non revenue sports work just as hard as the athletes trying to make it as a pro athlete. I also don’t think it is up to a university to choose the major that a student wishes to study. I don’t know if you have ever attended college or not but there really is no easy major.
Someone who majors in Physical Education has to take the same core curriculum courses that a biology major has to take. Everyone should look up what courses each major requires before they think one is easier than the other. The only exception I would agree with is medical school or law school because of the length or number of courses that are required to earn their degree.

Im a UofL grad. I know what gen ed courses are. They are less than half of your curriculum. Its not like an engineering major and a history major are 3 classes away from one another. Schools cannot tell you what major you are allowed to take but athletes in the higher profile majors aren't encouraged to take harder majors that are more time consuming. Im not taking shots at any major but there is a truth in that some are harder to get through than others.

When 2 of the most recognized programs promote the 1 and done along with the media it devalued a college education.

Cal made it sound like he was solving generational poverty. Which was BS and self serving. The results of promotion of the one and done is every kid thought the NBA was the only option. That has led to unrealistic expectations of players and their support system. A college education became secondary for a large group of basketball players where a college education could easily change their life.

The colleges themselves (NCAA) are the problem. They aren’t nimble enough to adjust to the times. They should leading the way on NIL because it benefits the very people they are advocating for. Instead they are worried about leveling the playing field which is impossible.

Reactions: rh62531
gocards1987:

to the contrary, most schools, particularly UL is totally committed to educating their scholarship athletes and obtaining graduation. It is the fans who seem to be enamored with attracting OaD recruits with NBA potential. My favorite UL players stayed for all 4 years and graduated; some never got a professional sniff, but they were a joy to watch.
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. UofL is interested in winning ball games and making money. Keeping the athletes academically eligible and keeping a good APR is part of maintaining the program, but we are not different than every other major college athletics program.

I value my UofL degree and it's done me well, but we offer the same OaD kids that Kansas, Duke, sUcKs, & others all off and we'd take them all just the same. We aren't passing on OaD kids because we care about academics, they just aren't choosing us. Do you think Bellarmine or NKU says they don't get top 100 recruits like UofL because they care more about academics?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT