ADVERTISEMENT

I'm still in favor of going after Randy Shannon

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
I'd love to see him come on as DC. Was always a good DC and wired in tight with Florida recruiting.

I know I hate to bring a successful staff here especially with the outstanding staff we just lost.

Stupid take. It’s not a comparison, it’s a matter of logic. A rising tide may lift all ships, but this cliche shouldn’t relate to upward mobility in the workplace. Satterfield was good, but does that now mean we should automatically promote 40k assistants to 200k jobs? Ride coattails much? The way Card fans should view this, is that Satterfield now has means to get better. Don’t be generic and promote your buddies.

I know I hate to bring a successful staff here especially with the outstanding staff we just lost.

Stupid take. It’s not a comparison, it’s a matter of logic. A rising tide may lift all ships, but this cliche shouldn’t relate to upward mobility in the workplace. Satterfield was good, but does that now mean we should automatically promote 40k assistants to 200k jobs? Ride coattails much? The way Card fans should view this, is that Satterfield now has means to get better. Don’t be generic and promote your buddies.

Lol. Nope I earned my way in the U.S. Army. No coattails there. But just because they earned $40,000 doesn’t mean there not good. Didn’t you learn anything from Bobby? You can be a great coach but without good assistants success doesn’t follow. He’ll bring who he feels he needs and want to come. If it’s two or all I’m fine.

I can see both sides of this discussion I myself want the best assistant coaches we can get. We are paying good money and you're right Petrino learned the hard way. Most good coaches are surrounded by good assistant coaches and most weren't good friends or relatives.

I can see both sides of this discussion I myself want the best assistant coaches we can get. We are paying good money and you're right Petrino learned the hard way. Most good coaches are surrounded by good assistant coaches and most weren't good friends or relatives.

My point is I’ll trust CSS to pick his staff

I still think we bring in Woody as DC. Bryan Brown has a VERY bright future, but I don't think he takes over DC gig just yet.

Lol. Nope I earned my way in the U.S. Army. No coattails there. But just because they earned $40,000 doesn’t mean there not good. Didn’t you learn anything from Bobby? You can be a great coach but without good assistants success doesn’t follow. He’ll bring who he feels he needs and want to come. If it’s two or all I’m fine.

Meant no personal offense to you, just pointing out that you have to be good. Not just be connected to someone good. Let’s get his very best from App State and hire the best from elsewhere where needed

Meant no personal offense to you, just pointing out that you have to be good. Not just be connected to someone good. Let’s get his very best from App State and hire the best from elsewhere where needed

No offense taken. We’re in agreement

The head coach is only as good as the staff he surrounds himself with. I’d say CSS is very good because of the assistants he surrounded himself with at App State. They spent the past 6 years building a program together and will carry that momentum to Louisville.

Satterfield prefers and runs a 3-4 scheme Shannon is a base 4-3 scheme guy would not work from a philosophical standpoint.
That doesn't matter. ;) It's all about recruiting don't cha know? :p

I agree with the philosophical difference.

There is much more to winning than recruiting or coaching. You need both of course. Or at least be able to recruit to your coaching. We have dogged uk and Stoops for their "good" recruiting, but poor performance (until this season)

But chemistry is just as important, and we of all fan bases, should know this. After all, we blamed the flop in '16 on the Petrino/Grantham feud over Wakeyleaks or whatever.

The coaching staff is the most important "unit" on the team. The players can see if a staff has it together or not.

So I want one that can work together regardless the "names".

Reactions: Mayoman
I would say UofL could pay Shannon more as a positional coach than UCF is paying him as a coordinator. I might be wrong?

14in4d.jpg

No on Randy Shannon.

Whoever CSS wants.....that is who I want to for him. All these former HC's like Shannon who got fired when they were supposedly in their prime....just NO!

Clean start with a clean slate to me means....no one with past ties to UofL or has beens....all need to be avoided. JMO. Go Cards. Go CSS.

New start with new blood.

Reactions: wilkie01
Guys, Brown led the nation's 6th ranked defense. If he led a top 50 defense, ok, we'd all be like Satt is helping out his buddy. It's the 6th ranked defense. The 2018 Cards' defense was ranked 122nd.

source.gif

I want few app state assistant coaches. Very few.
Why? Argue all you want about schemes, but football comes down to blocking and tackling no matter what level at which your are playing. Have we seen either lately? Besides, it will be a couple of years before we are relevant and they will sort themselves out.

Reactions: wilkie01
Until a coach fails at picking his staff (ie Bobby) he should have complete control of selecting it. Dont want the administration creating resentment or micromanaging. As far as Brown goes, he was successful with Satterfield and if thats who the Coach wants that who the Coach gets despite there being "better" candidates out there that you would have to force in.

Last edited:
Much more important that the HC picks his staff, likes his staff and works well with his staff. We've seen what happens when the opposite happens.

Brown is big time get. There were rumblings of his taking over the HC position and he's a young, up and coming coach.

I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I'm willing to bet he will be an ace recruiter and be great at Louisville.

Yeah, because Schiano has done such a horrible job at Ohio State..............

There is no one that is going to turned this defense around next year so people need to understand whomever the DC is they aren't going to produce a top 50 defense in year 1.

Here is what to like about Brown,
1) He played in the SEC
2) He has coached in a system that has had top 30 defenses consistently
3) He is considered coach on the rise
4) He is young, he should be able relate to high school kids
5) Players are retaining and executing his game plan

Keep in mind this is a unique, but simple defense or at least that is what I think Satterfield said at the press conference. You need coaches that understand what they are doing. You don't want guys who run a 4-3 they need guys that have been in a 3-4 system. I think Woody ends up here if he doesn't get App St job. It is just a natural fit.

Wasn’t that a knock on Grantham they he ran complicated schemes and was hard for some of the players to grasp?

The term Satterfield used was simple and easy to understand. When I hear complicated in college that scares me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT