ADVERTISEMENT

If you were the AD

Well I'm going to irritate some of my fellow Card fans but why Jeff Brohm? Just because he played here is not the reason to hire him as a replacement for CSS. Yes, if Jeff had gone out and set the world on fire as a head coach elsewhere then he would be a prime candidate for our job but guess what? He hasn't exactly set the world on fire as a head coach. There will be other candidates and that includes Jeff Brohm but to assume he is going to automatically be our new coach is, in my opinion, a wrong headed assumption. Yes, Jeff has an excellent background and perhaps he would make a successful head coach, but other than "maybe" being successful recruiting local kids I'm just not convinced. But if CSS is fired and Jeff Brohm is our new coach I will support but he should be held to a high standard here.

GO CARDS!!!

The class is very good, but it's not top ten. But, what you do is keep the recruiters on board who have been recruiting the prospects. We'll lose some, but so freaking what. Get Satt the **** out of here.
Sunbelt Scotty made a huge jump this week - from #29 to #10 on coacheshotseat.com. Only Scott Frost can keep him from his destiny with #1.

Well I'm going to irritate some of my fellow Card fans but why Jeff Brohm? Just because he played here is not the reason to hire him as a replacement for CSS. Yes, if Jeff had gone out and set the world on fire as a head coach elsewhere then he would be a prime candidate for our job but guess what? He hasn't exactly set the world on fire as a head coach. There will be other candidates and that includes Jeff Brohm but to assume he is going to automatically be our new coach is, in my opinion, a wrong headed assumption. Yes, Jeff has an excellent background and perhaps he would make a successful head coach, but other than "maybe" being successful recruiting local kids I'm just not convinced. But if CSS is fired and Jeff Brohm is our new coach I will support but he should be held to a high standard here.

GO CARDS!!!
I posted this elsewhere but I believe it speaks to your question and, poses one to you. In the event that you are one of the babies that has me on ignore - well then NM.

1. He’s a really good recruiter.
2. He runs an exciting offensive scheme - puts up a lot of points against better defenses week in and week out than UofL faces and, never plays “not to lose”.
3. His ties to the university suggest that if he were to come here - he’d stick around giving UofL the stability it has lacked since Howard.
4. He’s publicly and recently explained his reasoning why he didn’t take the job four years ago and expressed his interest in the job should it come open again.
5. He’s not Saban but, in the opinion of many - he’s a top 15 college coach and is paid like it. We’ve seen what you get when you go bargain hunting. He has work to do on the defensive side of the ball but he seems adaptable.

Is he THE answer? Who’s out there that checks as many boxes that are so desperately needed to move the program forward AND, UofL would have a realistic shot at?

Once more- we can’t afford Brohm. Indeed, we can’t really afford anybody.
Well then - let’s just shut it all down. 🤓

They couldn’t afford to fire Mack and hire Payne but they did. What they can’t afford to to fall even further down the food chain as the game of musical conferences plays on. Don’t do something and UofL will be in the outside looking in at 64 other P5 teams.

First, we can afford new coaches. It is a false narrative that UofL sports are broke. Second, JB's record at Purdue is not one of success and if he came here and posted a similar record about 1/2 of the fans here would be all over him like a cheap suit after 4 years. Yes, he's a UofL alum, but please tell me what else qualified him to be our head coach over CSS. Look I like JB and the Brohm family but I love the University of Louisville much, much more. I'd like nothing more if JB had established himself as a great D1 head football coach, but the reality is that he hasn't, as of yet.

GO CARDS!!!

First, we can afford new coaches. It is a false narrative that UofL sports are broke. Second, JB's record at Purdue is not one of success and if he came here and posted a similar record about 1/2 of the fans here would be all over him like a cheap suit after 4 years. Yes, he's a UofL alum, but please tell me what else qualified him to be our head coach over CSS. Look I like JB and the Brohm family but I love the University of Louisville much, much more. I'd like nothing more if JB had established himself as a great D1 head football coach, but the reality is that he hasn't, as of yet.

GO CARDS!!!

Yes, his record isn’t great but take it in context. Purdue is one of the toughest major conference coaching jobs - try recruiting to an engineering school in West Lafayette, IN. Look at their record before he got there. And look at their record outside of few good years with Tiller as HC. Purdue plays a demanding schedule in a very tough division. I can also tell you that he has re-invigorated their fanbase. They know that on any given weekend they can beat anybody. Trying to compare Satt to Brohm is an insult. In hindsight, it looks like Satt was primarily the beneficiary of a great revolving door system at App. They haven’t missed a beat since he left despite being two coaches removed from him. And the guy that followed him - Drinkwitz - isn’t exactly tearing things up at Mizzou. And if having success at a smaller school is so important then consider what Brohm did at WKU. It stands up well to Sunbelt Scottie’s efforts.

Also I’ve seen some people saying Dave Ragone. I love Ragone but with the December signing period it is really, really tough to hire an NFL guy for a college head coaching position due to timing. I find it hard to believe he’d leave the Falcons (especially after they drafted Ridder) during the regular season.

No fan in Louisville is more concerned or disappointed in what we witnessed last Saturday, as I have been a UL football fan dating back to when Frank Camp was our head coach. We have had several unsuccessful coaches over the last 53 years, but perhaps more disconcerting, has been our inability to retain those who were at the time quite successful.

Aside from Howard Schnellenberger, I cannot think of a single new hire that had the sort of resume coming in, that included successful experience as a HC at a P5 conference school.

Satterfield still has a lot of explaining to do about Saturday, but more importantly he has an opportunity to turn this 2022 humiliating start, into a positive outcome. I for one believe we need to hang in there a little longer before throwing him out. For starters, I see no evidence of any other candidates who can insure improvement over where we ar right now. If you think there are any coaches out there that see UL has a destination, please identify those names, as I cannot come up with a single one.

GO CARDS!!!
“Great” is subjective. Money says a lot about the perception an industry has about an individual’s worth. Purdoo is paying Brohm 6M based upon his results and their belief that he can continue the upward trajectory that Brohm put them on.

Two new questions and the same one that you didn’t answer previously.

1. If Brohm isn’t “great” - how would you then characterize him as a HC?

2. Name someone who “has established himself as a great HC” that would entertain the thought of coming ti UofL.

3. Who out there in the coaching ranks checks more of UofL’s boxes than Brohm and is a realistic get?

If you think there are any coaches out there that see UL has a destination, please identify those names, as I cannot come up with a single one.
As said only a million times before - Jeff Brohm.

Please explain why you think differently.

Reactions: nccardfan
“Great” is subjective. Money says a lot about the perception an industry has about an individual’s worth. Purdoo is paying Brohm 6M based upon his results and their belief that he can continue the upward trajectory that Brohm put them on.

Two new questions and the same one that you didn’t answer previously.

1. If Brohm isn’t “great” - how would you then characterize him as a HC?

2. Name someone who “has established himself as a great HC” that would entertain the thought of coming ti UofL.

3. Who out there in the coaching ranks checks more of UofL’s boxes than Brohm and is a realistic get?
1. Fair to a middle of the road Head Coach.
2. The search must be done.
3. Exactly the reason a thorough search MUST be done. Our investment in football is too great NOT to do a cross the board search for the best possible candidate. If that candidate happens to be Jeff Brohm then so be it and he will
have my support. To hire someone simply because he is a UofL legacy is absolutely the wrong thing to do. If he proves himself at another school then, by all means, go get him. Do you think Jeff has totally proven himself at this
point? And just how long would you give him to bring UofL into competition for an ACC title?

GO CARDS!!!

Posted something similar to this in the boo thread sorry if it's kind of a repeat.

But fans have been through a lot. You try to gain perspective through rough times but the combo of this sport and our other big sport suffering is testing fans to extremes never seen before.

Then you factor in the side $ players are making, and the transfer portal carousel, and it really does start to get us to question what it means to the player to be on the team and just how much fans can put into all this.

If the season is over at halftime of game one it's just really hard to stick with it.

Hoping for a massive turn around but it's hard to be optimistic. Just need a change in culture so it seems, etc.

Posted something similar to this in the boo thread sorry if it's kind of a repeat.

But fans have been through a lot. You try to gain perspective through rough times but the combo of this sport and our other big sport suffering is testing fans to extremes never seen before.

Then you factor in the side $ players are making, and the transfer portal carousel, and it really does start to get us to question what it means to the player to be on the team and just how much fans can put into all this.

If the season is over at halftime of game one it's just really hard to stick with it.

Hoping for a massive turn around but it's hard to be optimistic. Just need a change in culture so it seems, etc.

I’m just incredulous that Satt is at his press conference talking about a lack of energy IN GAME 1. I mean wtf!!! What is wrong with the coaching staff that they couldn’t mentally prepare the team? And what is wrong with the players that they would come out with no energy? Do they all not give a $hit? And why should I as a fan give a $hit if these well paid coaches and some well-paid athletes seemingly don’t give a $hit? There is some big disconnect. And yes, it is disheartening as heck to be 30 minutes into the season and it looked like all is already lost.

I’m just incredulous that Satt is at his press conference talking about a lack of energy IN GAME 1. I mean wtf!!! What is wrong with the coaching staff that they couldn’t mentally prepare the team? And what is wrong with the players that they would come out with no energy? Do they all not give a $hit? And why should I as a fan give a $hit if these well paid coaches and some well-paid athletes seemingly don’t give a $hit? There is some big disconnect. And yes, it is disheartening as heck to be 30 minutes into the season and it looked like all is already lost.
Hank it does feel like it's all coming to a boil. I believe the coach will be shown the door at some point unless there is a radical change in performance. With realignment, NIL, transfer carousel, it's just a real tough spot fans are sitting in. I don't think anyone requires multiple AA's and a preseason top 3 ranking. It's been a rough, rough go for what feels like forever.

Here is the question nobody wants to answer.... say brohm doesnt want or takes the job.... then who? i believe that is the list most are wanting to know

Here is the question nobody wants to answer.... say brohm doesnt want or takes the job.... then who? i believe that is the list most are wanting to know

Typically you don’t go for what you just had so I would doubt uofl would pursue a head coach from a G5 school. Presumably then you’d be looking at coordinators - Josh Gattis, Jeff Lebby, Alex Grinch. Of those, I’d want Gattis. I’d imagine Bill O’Brien would get mentioned and I think Neal Brown would love to move from WVU.

Last edited:
Reactions: pappy52 and gocds
1. Fair to a middle of the road Head Coach.
2. The search must be done.
3. Exactly the reason a thorough search MUST be done. Our investment in football is too great NOT to do a cross the board search for the best possible candidate. If that candidate happens to be Jeff Brohm then so be it and he will
have my support. To hire someone simply because he is a UofL legacy is absolutely the wrong thing to do. If he proves himself at another school then, by all means, go get him. Do you think Jeff has totally proven himself at this
point? And just how long would you give him to bring UofL into competition for an ACC title?

GO CARDS!!!
I think that based upon his reclamation project at purdoo - he is significantly better than “middle of the road” but, reasonable people can disagree about that I suppose. My main point - to which I don’t think you’ve proposed another / better candidate - is that he’s the best person for the UofL job that appears to be obtainable. If you have another name - and not just a comment about a search - then bring it forth.

I firmly believe that he would be more successful at UofL in the ACC than he’s been at purdoo in the B1G - as there’s no question that the ACC pales in comparison. Most importantly, I believe that he would offer one super important thing that other candidates would not - and that is the desire and willingness to stick around. You simply cannot have a successful program when you have a new HC every 4-5 years - I don’t care who you are.

Reactions: SpotHogCard

I think you have to go the P5 OC/DC route, younger up & coming guy but on the front lines in recruiting. What hiring a G5 HC showed me is they bring their world with them and that includes their recruiting connections....at the G5 level. Satterfield basically kept on doing the App State thing until NIL and all these sudden 4* guys from California of all places (lol). We saw this with Kragthorpe as well, those heated recruiting battles with Buffalo, etc. When you hire a OC/DC from the P5 level, they have all those connections and expectations.

We're not going to get an established P5 HC. We have to go the OC/DC route, and their P5 connections will only make NIL more effective without the "aw shucks we need to play better" stuff we're getting now.

Today at the presser Satt mentioned several times about the lack of energy. If you are a head coach that cannot get your team “up” for game 1 then I don’t care who you recruit. That shows an inability to connect with your team which is job 1 of a head coach.
Hell, if you got guys who lack energy to play football, then maybe its a recruiting issue?

I didn't think the topic was out of bounds. The responses were split. It's not like he didn't deserve a little grief.

The dude jumped up to #10 on this hot seat list after the opener. It's a national website, no bias. Guys high up on these lists don't always make it through a season.

That said, things might have changed a little. And they could really change if they end up having a good year despite the first loss.

But if that doesn't happen, I ain't gonna bump the thread.

Last edited:
I think the criticism after Syracuse was warranted. There are still games to be played though. The results are all the matters. They have to consistently play like they did against UCF. They are just too inconsistent with their performances.

The reality is they could start out 5-1 and people would still not want him as coach. That is fine just say that no matter what the team does you want him fired.

The reality is they could start out 5-1 and people would still not want him as coach. That is fine just say that no matter what the team does you want him fired.
This could be true for some but for sure not me. If they find a way to get that W next Friday they just might go on a heater. And I will be in all these threads to celebrate that if it happens.

Reactions: Mayoman
This could be true for some but for sure not me. If they find a way to get that W next Friday they just might go on a heater. And I will be in all these threads to celebrate that if it happens.
To me FSU game is the show me game. A brand name and good team they have to play extremely well in this game. They can’t lay an egg like they have so often in these situations.

This kind of game separated Petrino-Strong-JL-Howard for all the other coaches. They always performed well in these games. Satterfields teams have not. We will see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT