ADVERTISEMENT

If Wisconsiin Beats Purdue today I predict Announcement made Imediately

When? Not being a smarta$$ just curious because the only instance I remember is a few rumors of Matt Painter talking with other schools but he stayed at Purdue.....which happens to be his alma mater. Funny how that worked out.
Yeah, it hasn't been since 2000 that a Purdue coach has tried to be poached. Tiller was a hot commodity after 3 or 4 years at Purdue but wanted to stay at Purdue. Hope was a disaster (not of his own doing) and Hazel was just the epitome of pouring gas on a fire bad. Jim Coletto wasn't going to be hired by anyone and Fred Akers before him was Hazel-esqe in his ineptitude.

This is the first time in my 34 years that Purdue football has had to deal with this and only the second time the major revenue sports has (Matt Painter and Missouri). The only one you could point to would be Women's Basketball with Lyn Dunn, Carolyn Peck, and Kristy Curry. And that's me trying REALLY HARD to make an argument for Purdue athletics.

I agree that the big east is better than Conference USA which is why Louisville made the move. You got to admit though that the big east wasn't respected like the other conferences that had BCS tie in games. Other than 2006 it never had more than 2 ranked teams at seasons end. After WVU, only twice did a big east team finish in the top 10. Louisville once and UC once. Both times the coaches left the school (petrino to the NFL and Kelly to ND) after the season.

I do also agree with your take on the old big east basketball. That was a great league for basketball.

Not gonna disagree that national perception of old big east football was not great, but it was still better than the non p5’s now.

As far as Petrino and Kelly leaving, no one can blame them. One left for NFL, the other for arguably the best college football job there is.

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
I actually agree that Louisville fans are putting too much stock in the "Brohm legacy" basket. He might not care about that. But I also think Purdue fans are putting too much stock in the athletic budget basket. He won't have say in immediate expansion projects at Louisville because all of those projects are done. Large nice stadium, indoor practice complex, new weight room. This was the first season of the new $61 million dollar expansion to the stadium, a brand new 40,000 square feet academic center in the stadium...etc...etc..So all those perks that Purdue is enticing him with are already built at Louisville and Jeff knows that. Jeff also knows that salary isn't going to be an issue to a certain degree. Which is why I stated that Purdue could probably certainly convince him to stay by offering him a ludicrous contract that Louisville wouldn't match. People also fail to even consider the drastic disadvantage of living in West Lafayette when compared to Louisville...I mean its like 1/10th the size? Normally that wouldn't be a consideration but I do think the drastic difference between the two cities could come into play.

So in conclusion here's a summary: Brohm has a solid Purdue team coming back and a solid recruiting class coming in. He knows he can probably poach a few of the recruits. As I've stated on this topic multiple times I'm of the opinion that aside from offering him a massive salary there's absolutely nothing Purdue can sell him on that Louisville can't at least match or top. Football coaches aren't so short sighted that they think about the recruiting class they're leaving behind if they take another job. I can't imagine that's ever played a part in a football coaches decision to take a job or not.

So...my opinion is....if Jeff Brohm stays at Purdue his salary will exceed $6 million a year. Aside from that happening he will be Louisville's next coach.

Yeah, it hasn't been since 2000 that a Purdue coach has tried to be poached.

Which says a lot for the zeitgeist around Purdue football right now. Purdue is actually in a great spot. If Brohm does come back to UofL it doesn’t say anything bad about Purdue, due to Brohm having personal ties to UofL. You all are coming off a bowl win, and Brohm has shown other coaches you can get great players there and compete for a division title being on that side of the Big Ten. He’s also proven to other potential coaches you can compete against the big boys of the big ten, eg osu and MSU (which was a game I watched and thought Purdue was going to win).

Not gonna disagree that national perception of old big east football was not great, but it was still better than the non p5’s now.

As far as Petrino and Kelly leaving, no one can blame them. One left for NFL, the other for arguably the best college football job there is.
Can't disagree with anything you said there

purdoo is, and has been historically, a bottom feeder in the big 10 conference. That’s just a fact.

Could purdoo break out of the big 10 basement? Conventional wisdom says no.

Particularly after JB leaves.
Please explain how Purdue basketball has been a big ten bottom feeder.

He said Purdue, so I though he meant as a whole. Purdue has had a few down years in football recently. Not sure how that impacts the job now though.

But his last line gave away the fact he was speaking to football, so not sure how you could confuse that.

Possibly a function of only having 8 teams.
Possibly but a lot of 9-4 teams finished unranked in that league. Cincinnati went 10-3 and finished outside the top 25 one year. That's not a how the respected conferences get treated. It's why in almost the same conference UCF has 20+ consecutive wins and barely cracked the top 10 while Northwestern for example jumped into the rankings at 6-4 with a MAC school loss and will end up top 16 or so after they beat Illinois this week.

I actually agree that Louisville fans are putting too much stock in the "Brohm legacy" basket. He might not care about that. But I also think Purdue fans are putting too much stock in the athletic budget basket. He won't have say in immediate expansion projects at Louisville because all of those projects are done. Large nice stadium, indoor practice complex, new weight room. This was the first season of the new $61 million dollar expansion to the stadium, a brand new 40,000 square feet academic center in the stadium...etc...etc..So all those perks that Purdue is enticing him with are already built at Louisville and Jeff knows that. Jeff also knows that salary isn't going to be an issue to a certain degree. Which is why I stated that Purdue could probably certainly convince him to stay by offering him a ludicrous contract that Louisville wouldn't match. People also fail to even consider the drastic disadvantage of living in West Lafayette when compared to Louisville...I mean its like 1/10th the size? Normally that wouldn't be a consideration but I do think the drastic difference between the two cities could come into play.

So in conclusion here's a summary: Brohm has a solid Purdue team coming back and a solid recruiting class coming in. He knows he can probably poach a few of the recruits. As I've stated on this topic multiple times I'm of the opinion that aside from offering him a massive salary there's absolutely nothing Purdue can sell him on that Louisville can't at least match or top. Football coaches aren't so short sighted that they think about the recruiting class they're leaving behind if they take another job. I can't imagine that's ever played a part in a football coaches decision to take a job or not.

So...my opinion is....if Jeff Brohm stays at Purdue his salary will exceed $6 million a year. Aside from that happening he will be Louisville's next coach.

A couple of things: .Purdue just built a state of the art $65 million football only complex that is one of the nicest facilities in all of football. The stadium needs some work which is happening soon.

Last: I think you all and a lot of the college football world will be shocked how much Purdue is going to offer Brohm to stay. Top 5 money....

Last: I think you all and a lot of the college football world will be shocked how much Purdue is going to offer Brohm to stay. Top 5 money....
And I think that you - but not a lot of the CFB football world will not be shocked when JB comes home to UofL.

Good luck with butch jones!

Nope. This is the dance we’ve been through to many times. You guys just haven’t been there. We’ve had coaches do that dance and their gone. Pitino would come out and say nope I’m staying here. He would kill rumors immediately. Denny same thing. So unless they come out and kill it well I would be nervous if I was a Purdue fan.

Well at least we’re pretty
Bobinski was at the football game on Saturday, presented an award or something on the field during one of the time outs.

He and our Board President took one of our planes to Charleston right after football game....One of the perks of having the second largest airport in Indiana on Campus.

Well at least we’re pretty

He and our Board President took one of our planes to Charleston right after football game....One of the perks of having the second largest airport in Indiana on Campus.
The 2nd largest in Indiana you say?!?

Fascinating stuff.

All this talk about budgets and facilities is kind of pointless. Look everyone has big enough budgets and facilities. The past success and failure is somewhat pointless other than projecting a programs ceiling. Can anyone from either school say what Brohm real cares about in terms of success? Does he really think Purdue/Louisville can play for a title? Does he believe Purdue/Louisville give him the best shot to land a job at a program he truly believes can play for a title or a NFL job.

Louisville fans all believed Howard truly believed in winning a title because of what he did at Miami. I have learned no coach really believes that will happen. They use the job to reach their own personal goals. Bottom line is history tells us he is moving on at some point no matter where he ends up. His decision only means he thinks that program is the best path to his personal goal whatever that is.

Airport trash talk? Seriously? 2nd biggest in the state you say? Did we mention the University of Louisville is in...Louisville, the home of Louisville International Airport. Not to mention it's airport is home to Worldport, the worldwide hub of UPS. Also, the Kentucky Air National Guard's 123rd Airlift Wing operates C-130 transport aircraft from the co-located Louisville Air National Guard Base. Hell...we could fly our entire student body to Charleston and transport the entire Brohm family's (Jeff, Greg, and Brian) belongings back to Louisville, all under the watchful eye of the Kentucky Air National Guard. If air superiority is a deciding factor for Brohm, it's all over for Purdue. :cool:

Airport trash talk? Seriously? 2nd biggest in the state you say? Did we mention the University of Louisville is in...Louisville, the home of Louisville International Airport. Not to mention it's airport is home to Worldport, the worldwide hub of UPS. Also, the Kentucky Air National Guard's 123rd Airlift Wing operates C-130 transport aircraft from the co-located Louisville Air National Guard Base. Hell...we could fly our entire student body to Charleston and transport the entire Brohm family's (Jeff, Greg, and Brian) belongings back to Louisville, all under the watchful eye of the Kentucky Air National Guard. If air superiority is a deciding factor for Brohm, it's all over for Purdue. :cool:

Jeff is 5 minutes from the airport where he boards a university jet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT