ADVERTISEMENT

If Wisconsiin Beats Purdue today I predict Announcement made Imediately

George Karlaftis, from West !afayette H.S., Coach Brohm’s first five star recruit, who committed more than a year ago, tonight announced he will sign his NLI with Purdue on December 19th in West !afayette. He has said he’s fulfilling his committment. The ball is in the corner of the man who asked this kid with deep Boilermaker ties to give him his pledge.

I mean thats all fine and good and I wish the kid good luck at Purdue. He sounds like a best case scenario kid for Purdue as he's committing to the school more than the coach.

But just as this kid has deep Purdue ties, so does Jeff Brohm have deep Louisville ties. If you're going to lose your coach you can't be angry if he leaves for a pro job or his alma mater.

I mean thats all fine and good and I wish the kid good luck at Purdue. He sounds like a best case scenario kid for Purdue as he's committing to the school more than the coach.

But just as this kid has deep Purdue ties, so does Jeff Brohm have deep Louisville ties. If you're going to lose your coach you can't be angry if he leaves for a pro job or his alma mater.

Actually the big reason he committed to Purdue was Brohm. If Brohm leaves, there’s a good chance he flips to Michigan.

Reactions: wernox1988

You do not get it. You think relationships are something that are important except when it comes to your hometown and then nobody else means anything. This kid is telling Jeff, “Coach, I have you my word and now I am fulfilling my committment. You gave me your word. Will you fulfill it?”

Karlaftis has been instrumental in helping Purdue’s coach (yes, that is who he is) recruit a Top 25 class.
His West Lafayette team plays for the state title this weekend in Lucas Oil Stadium.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
You do not get it. You think relationships are something that are important except when it comes to your hometown and then nobody else means anything. This kid is telling Jeff, “Coach, I have you my word and now I am fulfilling my committment. You gave me your word. Will you fulfill it?”

Karlaftis has been instrumental in helping Purdue’s coach (yes, that is who he is) recruit a Top 25 class.
His West Lafayette team plays for the state title this weekend in Lucas Oil Stadium.

I get what he's doing. That's all fine and good....my point was that, that kid doesn't know what Brohm is going to do and the fact that he's made that public announcement proves absolutely nothing. Of course that kid wants Jeff Brohm to stay, he committed to him.

Jeff Brohm isn't going to not take a job because a good recruit is coming next year. That's insanely short sided and why I've said that if Jeff wants to be Louisville's coach there isn't anything aside from vastly overpaying him that will change his mind.

I get what he's doing. That's all fine and good....my point was that, that kid doesn't know what Brohm is going to do and the fact that he's made that public announcement proves absolutely nothing. Of course that kid wants Jeff Brohm to stay, he committed to him.

Jeff Brohm isn't going to not take a job because a good recruit is coming next year. That's insanely short sided and why I've said that if Jeff wants to be Louisville's coach there isn't anything aside from vastly overpaying him that will change his mind.

You have obviously established your position should he not meet your expectations.

Maybe karlaftis does know what Brohm is going to do. Just a thought.

Maybe karlaftis does know what Brohm is going to do. Just a thought.
You can tell Purdue fans have never had a big time coach that others are looking to poach... Your quotes of Brohm saying this or saying that are damn meaningless on either side. This is a business and in the end he doesn't really care much about you or anyone else except for his family and his own aspirations.

You people are grasping straws running over here to us....but but he said this, a recruit did that....you sound desperate. Just hold onto your panties and you'll know one way or the other soon enough. If he leaves it's not the end of the world, if he stays then great for you.

And quite frankly....if Purdue is dumb enough to pay him 6 mil a year..I hope they keep him. I like Brohm but he ain't worth that at this point. We need to go a different route than pay him that. Purdue may not even go to a bowl in their weak division and I predict Indiana beats them

@Chapman123 I think you hit the nail on the head about Purdue fans never having dealt with their coaches being constantly poached and that's not a slap at Purdue thats just part of the life that Louisville fans have grown accustomed to.

I have no idea what Brohm will do...I know what a few people more connected and smarter than me think he's going to do but thats it. If you think Brohm is out here being honest and telling high school coaches and recruits what his true plans are then I don't know what to tell you aside from, you're wrong.

I also agree with the $6 million statement. Listen, Brohm is Louisville royalty and he's a great coach....but he's not worth $6 million a year. I would rather go pay Luke Fickell $3.5 million and go poach some some great OC and pay him over a million a year. The huge aspect of the Brohm hire that makes him so appealing is the idea that he might stay regardless of who comes after him and that would allow Louisville to sustain the stability they've never had.

You can tell Purdue fans have never had a big time coach that others are looking to poach... Your quotes of Brohm saying this or saying that are damn meaningless on either side. This is a business and in the end he doesn't really care much about you or anyone else except for his family and his own aspirations.

You people are grasping straws running over here to us....but but he said this, a recruit did that....you sound desperate. Just hold onto your panties and you'll know one way or the other soon enough. If he leaves it's not the end of the world, if he stays then great for you.
But people have tried to steal Purdue's coaches though... In my life, Purdue has been pretty good at hanging onto them.

But people have tried to steal Purdue's coaches though... In my life, Purdue has been pretty good at hanging onto them.

When? Not being a smarta$$ just curious because the only instance I remember is a few rumors of Matt Painter talking with other schools but he stayed at Purdue.....which happens to be his alma mater. Funny how that worked out.

When? Not being a smarta$$ just curious because the only instance I remember is a few rumors of Matt Painter talking with other schools but he stayed at Purdue.....which happens to be his alma mater. Funny how that worked out.

Matt Painter to Missouri. Gene Keady on numerous occasions. Joe Tiller several times.

Reactions: EKYCard643
Matt Painter to Missouri. Gene Keady on numerous occasions. Joe Tiller several times.
Yeah - Keady to San Francisco college - lol. Any of those offers from schools higher on the food chain or, even remotely analogous to the Brohm situation?

Reactions: Chapman123
Yeah - Keady to San Francisco college - lol. Any of those offers from schools higher on the food chain or, even remotely analogous to the Brohm situation?

Keady was at Purdue for a long time, there was a "he's leaving for X" story every year until this one with Arizona State.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/15/...l-keady-will-continue-to-coach-at-purdue.html

Tiller was a candidate for the Colorado job in 1999 as well but I don't know if the interest was mutual

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1999-01-14-9901140043-story.html

Keady was at Purdue for a long time, there was a "he's leaving for X" story every year until this one with Arizona State.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/15/...l-keady-will-continue-to-coach-at-purdue.html

Tiller was a candidate for the Colorado job in 1999 as well but I don't know if the interest was mutual

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1999-01-14-9901140043-story.html
So as a purdoo fan - you think that ASU basketball and Colorado football are "higher on the food chain" than those respective boil sports?

Purdue is coming off a period of long tenured coaches.....Keady and Painter kinda skew the curve especially....But back then, the PAC 10 was at the same level of the B1G, ASU ended up hiring Bill Frieder and the team he left just prior to the tourney won the '89 title.

Colorado ended up hiring Northwestern's coach and was less than 10 years removed from the 1990 title.

So in the case of Keady I'd say it was a lateral move and motivated by money and in the case of Tiller it would have represented an easier path to a potential title but in terms of "prestige" it was a move up while today it would be a step down....Tiller always looked at the long game and had Brees on the roster and Orton in the pipeline.
The situation we find ourselves in today is much different because there's been so much consolidation and the TV money is crazy. If Coach Brohm wants to go home, I certainly understand that, but to suggest that Purdue isn't a factor given the four years prior to his arrival is just silly.

Last edited:
That's insanely short sided

George-Costanza-OMG-Facepalm.gif

Coach Brohm last year. Purdue paid Brohm the same thing Tennessee's coach got. Not to mention other potential schools that called Brohm. Obviously Purdue paid him to keep him.

Conversely he did not say he wouldn’t be coaching at Purdue. At a time when decomitments are happening at many schools including Georgia, Oklahoma and Alabama that sure suggests whatever Purdue’s 24 recruits are being told has not impacted their confidence in the coach and staff that recruited them.
Why would they give up an offer to play and study at a great university before they know anything for sure?Lack of de commitments means nothing.

Petrino has been your coach ever since you've joined a P5 conference. Louisville was having their coaches poached while they were conference USA and big east which isn't the same as where they are at now or where Purdue has always been. Only the elite schools poach from other P5 schools and there is rarely if ever a lateral move from one P5 school to another.

I guess you guys can relate to MAC schools by bragging about the number of coaches that bigger schools have taken from you so congrats?

Petrino has been your coach ever since you've joined a P5 conference. Louisville was having their coaches poached while they were conference USA and big east which isn't the same as where they are at now or where Purdue has always been. Only the elite schools poach from other P5 schools and there is rarely if ever a lateral move from one P5 school to another.

I guess you guys can relate to MAC schools by bragging about the number of coaches that bigger schools have taken from you so congrats?
Your post might make sense if UofL coaches were being poached by bottom dwelling (purdoo for example) to middling (Miss. St for example) P5 programs however; the last three UofL football coaches that left of their own accord went to

- Michigan State
- Atlanta Falcons
- University of Texas

Now I'll grant you - MSU isn't really "elite" - well not unless you stack them up against loser programs like the Boils. So the point is - UofL primarily hires guys that the elite CFB or NFL guys want, whereas purdoo hires mediocre losers coveted by the likes of missouri, san francisco, and arizona state.

Post fail.

6 conference championships, 7x conference coach of the year. What's funny about Keady?

We aren't gonna brag about Pitino now are we?
Not from the perspective of who's a better human being - though you do have to question keady's judgement to wear that dead rat on his head for so long.

As far as basketball coaches? keady isn't in the same stratosphere as Pitino. If you don't know that - you're as dumb as they come.

Your post might make sense if UofL coaches were being poached by bottom dwelling (purdoo for example) to middling (Miss. St for example) P5 programs however; the last three UofL football coaches that left of their own accord went to

- Michigan State
- Atlanta Falcons
- University of Texas

Now I'll grant you - MSU isn't really "elite" - well not unless you stack them up against loser programs like the Boils. So the point is - UofL primarily hires guys that the elite CFB or NFL guys want, whereas purdoo hires mediocre losers coveted by the likes of missouri, san francisco, and arizona state.

Post fail.
Yea you got your coaches poached while you weren't in a big time conference which was my point. You helped prove it.

I honestly don't know but did anyone come after petrino after Louisville was in the ACC or was that what the massive buyout was there to prevent?

- Michigan State
- Atlanta Falcons
- University of Texas

Post fail.

And lasted how long?

Yea you got your coaches poached while you weren't in a big time conference which was my point. You helped prove it.

I honestly don't know but did anyone come after petrino after Louisville was in the ACC or was that what the massive buyout was there to prevent?
So in your world, purdoo was better off relating to other bottom feeder programs because no one wanted any of your loser coaches.

Got it.

So in your world, purdoo was better off relating to other bottom feeder programs because no one wanted any of your loser coaches.

Got it.
Purdue has two bad football and basketball coaches since 2000 and their programs are bottom feeders? Wow. That's... Something. Purdues precious AD was pretty bad. Now they have a new one. I think it's a stretch to say Purdue is a bottom program in the power 5. Especially when said program has some of the best training facilities in the big ten and the football program is on the rise with or without Brohm. As for basketball, it's finished in the top 4 of the conference 10 of the last 13 years. A couple big injuries aways from making potential runs.

Got it.
I'm saying a bottom feeder in a big conference is better than winning in a bad conference. When Purdue was a bottom feeder under Hazell it was a better job than a winning wku program. Who doesn't believe this?

The list of schools that Louisville coaches have came from since 2000 have been Utah st, Tulsa, western Kentucky, and SEC assistant coaches. You take from lower conferences or power conference assistants.

That's why Louisville had their coaches poached from them. that won't happen while they are in the ACC unless it's to one of the big big teams.

As far as Purdue, they haven't had their head coaches poached but have had assistant coaches poached for head coach in jobs in both sports with it happening fairly regularly in basketball.

Purdue has two bad football and basketball coaches since 2000 and their programs are bottom feeders? Wow. That's... Something. Purdues precious AD was pretty bad. Now they have a new one. I think it's a stretch to say Purdue is a bottom program in the power 5. Especially when said program has some of the best training facilities in the big ten and the football program is on the rise with or without Brohm. As for basketball, it's finished in the top 4 of the conference 10 of the last 13 years. A couple big injuries aways from making potential runs.
purdoo is, and has been historically, a bottom feeder in the big 10 conference. That’s just a fact.

Could purdoo break out of the big 10 basement? Conventional wisdom says no.

Particularly after JB leaves.

I'm saying a bottom feeder in a big conference is better than winning in a bad conference. When Purdue was a bottom feeder under Hazell it was a better job than a winning wku program. Who doesn't believe this?

The list of schools that Louisville coaches have came from since 2000 have been Utah st, Tulsa, western Kentucky, and SEC assistant coaches. You take from lower conferences or power conference assistants.

That's why Louisville had their coaches poached from them. that won't happen while they are in the ACC unless it's to one of the big big teams.

As far as Purdue, they haven't had their head coaches poached but have had assistant coaches poached for head coach in jobs in both sports with it happening fairly regularly in basketball.
You’re saying - conference welfare money > winning program.

Beyond the undeserved money - P5 bottom feeders are better jobs because they come with higher potential ceiling. That’s what Hazell thought anyway.

Reactions: Chapman123

While UofL was in the Big East it was on the level of today’s p5 conferences. The Big East had an automatic BCS bid for the winner of the Big East. You are putting the Big East (at the time we were a member) and conf USA on the same level, and they were no where close. In those few years we were in the Big East we smoked the acc champ in the Orange Bowl and WVU whooped Oklahoma in the sugar, just to name a few.
And as far as the old Big East b-ball when we were in, there is absolutely no comparison to a conf like conf USA, hell at that time, you could barely compare the big ten being on par to Big East competition top to bottom.

You’re saying - conference welfare money > winning program.

Beyond the undeserved money - P5 bottom feeders are better jobs because they come with higher potential ceiling. That’s what Hazell thought anyway.
That's the path almost every coach takes if they want to move up the ladder. That's just how it goes. That's why you lost your coaches previously and how you took the ones that you got when they left.

The school that brings in the coach is making a gamble on the success at the lower level translating. It doesn't always work out. Hazell for example or any coach that was poached out of Louisville recently.

While UofL was in the Big East it was on the level of today’s p5 conferences. The Big East had an automatic BCS bid for the winner of the Big East. You are putting the Big East (at the time we were a member) and conf USA on the same level, and they were no where close. In those few years we were in the Big East we smoked the acc champ in the Orange Bowl and WVU whooped Oklahoma in the sugar, just to name a few.
And as far as the old Big East b-ball when we were in, there is absolutely no comparison to a conf like conf USA, hell at that time, you could barely compare the big ten being on par to Big East competition top to bottom.

I agree that the big east is better than Conference USA which is why Louisville made the move. You got to admit though that the big east wasn't respected like the other conferences that had BCS tie in games. Other than 2006 it never had more than 2 ranked teams at seasons end. After WVU, only twice did a big east team finish in the top 10. Louisville once and UC once. Both times the coaches left the school (petrino to the NFL and Kelly to ND) after the season.

I do also agree with your take on the old big east basketball. That was a great league for basketball.

Reactions: kentuckyshame
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT