ADVERTISEMENT

If Wisconsiin Beats Purdue today I predict Announcement made Imediately

I totally agree. I actually think if Purdue is willing to pay over $6 million a year that Louisville shouldn't match. He's not worth that. He's obviously my top choice and the guy I want but not at that cost. There are a number of other coaches I like that Louisville could get and pay less than $5 million a year.

For Brohm to even be making what he's making now is a little crazy. Some of these coaches like him, Mark Stoops, Lovie Smith, etc...are honestly being overpaid based on their resume but that seems to be par for the course in todays game.
This kind of money is insane for programs that have historically been good but not great programs. The bottom line is they would have to start recruiting in the top 15 consistency to reach consistent success on the field. Neither program is in a hot bed for recruiting, that has been proven year in year no matter the coach. It won't be worth it in down years i.e. 8-4 or 9-3 years which is were these programs are going to finish more times than not.

Purdue throws 6M, I think they are willing, that is a big gamble. I can't believe the market is 6M for any coach that hasn't proven he can build a program that can could compete for a divisional title. He is 7-6 and 6-6. Don't get me wrong that is a really good start for where Purdue was at, but is it would a 2M bump? Crazy money and athletes can't get paid...geez.

Reactions: EKYCard643
It’s a good gamble for Purdue. Look ... everyone seems convinced that either Louisville or Purdue is gonna pay between 5 and 6 ... in the grand scheme of expenses, what’s another 1-2 million? Plus, if he ultimately goes to a true blue blood or NFL (like many suspect), it’s only a year or 2 of that extra freight and you can probably demand a larger buyout that makes it neutral.

The only risk is Brohm tanking .. which seems pretty remote. Worst case 8 or so wins a year and decent bowl .. probably break even.

We didnt think Petrino would tank to the tune of a 14M buyout. So yeah, thats always a risk.

dang, i had to work last night and turned the tv off with Purdue winning and i figured had to wait another week. but man, must have sucked being a purdue fan thinking you had that game won and you were keeping brohm. now you are thinking to yourself, WTF?!? just happened and was that the final straw. oh the devastating emotional roller coaster of college athletics

Reactions: JohnsyRick
dang, i had to work last night and turned the tv off with Purdue winning and i figured had to wait another week. but man, must have sucked being a purdue fan thinking you had that game won and you were keeping brohm. now you are thinking to yourself, WTF?!? just happened and was that the final straw. oh the devastating emotional roller coaster of college athletics
That game didn't decide Brohm's fate

Reactions: idaho_bob
I sort of hope not. I'm not sure Brohm has proven to be worth that yet. In my opinion, he is worth 6 to Purdue max. Only reason that much is because if he leaves, the recruiting class breaks up and goes every which direction and Purdue is back to step 1. If he does leave though, I'm calling Dino Babers if I'm AD.
Barbers might be headed to USC

Barbers might be headed to USC
We shall see. I'm still not sure Purdue will need to look for a coach. I'm leaning towards Brohm staying ATM. Hope I'm right because Purdue football can't afford to lose him for at least one more year. That or they need a guy that can hold most of this recruiting class together so they can continue to take the next steps.

I doubt it's being announced before iu game. In fact, I doubt Brohm has even agreed to anything with either team. Purdues AD is at charleston right now. Which indicates nothing is happening.

Bobinski was at the football game on Saturday, presented an award or something on the field during one of the time outs.

Bobinski was at the football game on Saturday, presented an award or something on the field during one of the time outs.
He was in Charleston when I originally typed that. He was at the first two basketball games and then flew back for the football game. Not sure if he went back down for the championship game yesterday or not.

You never know the truth, but I trust this source......said there were some discussions heading into the weekend and UL was trying to stairstep the contract and Brohms side didn't like the terms. I am guessing to the specifics, but would imagine starting at 3-4m or so for a 7 year contract that would max out at 6-6.5. That would make sense based on the numbers you hear. I have thought all along you wouldnt hear anything until the days after IU game. He either leaves or is firm in saying that he is not going to UL. Even with all that, still a strong chance he leaves Purdue no matter what, whether for UL, other school, or maybe even the NFL.

You never know the truth, but I trust this source......said there were some discussions heading into the weekend and UL was trying to stairstep the contract and Brohms side didn't like the terms. I am guessing to the specifics, but would imagine starting at 3-4m or so for a 7 year contract that would max out at 6-6.5. That would make sense based on the numbers you hear. I have thought all along you wouldnt hear anything until the days after IU game. He either leaves or is firm in saying that he is not going to UL. Even with all that, still a strong chance he leaves Purdue no matter what, whether for UL, other school, or maybe even the NFL.

It might have been over the buyout. Remember Vince said we wouldn’t do that again. Who knows

I don’t think so!

I don’t think so!

Think or know? Because unless you know your point is meaningless

Then Louisville will match it.

But i doubt Purdue would offer that.
BOT has stated (from my sources), they are willing to start at $6 million at the negotiating table. That's a huge jump for Purdue in terms of commitment from the AD and university to the football program. I have believed it would take a $6.5 million offer plus a salary pool of $5-$5.5 million for his assistants and support staff to retain him.

If Purdue comes out with $7 million, I'd place them at a 75% chance to land Brohm for the simple fact I don't think UofL can rationally offer a $40 million contract, plus the support staff/assistant coach salaries, plus the cost of other things that are associated with a new coaching regime (moving coaches, replacing signage, etc). The last one came to light when an online journalist pointed out that if Minny were to replace Fleck next season, it would cost Minny at least $1 million to just take down all of his signage and propaganda. It's a cost we rarely associate with a coaching change.

To be honest, there are very few coaches that are worth or deserve 7M a year. If you all do that, I don't see us matching that nor should we. Good luck with that!

Reactions: GoldCard
To be honest, there are very few coaches that are worth or deserve 7M a year. If you all do that, I don't see us matching that nor should we. Good luck with that!

Amen to that.

If Jeff can get Purdue to pay him that then more power to him. No shortage of quality candidates that I'll sign up for right now at $3-$5 million per year.

*I don't think Purdue will offer him that much money but I do think it would take a substantial offer on their part to keep him. I think Purdue would need to start talking at $6 million and go from there. I personally think Purdue would have to insanely overpay to keep him. A slight bump over what Louisville's offering probably won't do it. I think as long as Louisville pays him between $4-$5 million and give him the budget he wants for his staff then he's taking it.

Agreed! I dont think we have to match, but be competitive. Hell the way AD's do it nowadays, if he were to come here, we would extend after 2 years and give him some insane contract anyways.......

Reactions: EKYCard643
Amen to that.

If Jeff can get Purdue to pay him that then more power to him. No shortage of quality candidates that I'll sign up for right now at $3-$5 million per year.

*I don't think Purdue will offer him that much money but I do think it would take a substantial offer on their part to keep him. I think Purdue would need to start talking at $6 million and go from there. I personally think Purdue would have to insanely overpay to keep him. A slight bump over what Louisville's offering probably won't do it. I think as long as Louisville pays him between $4-$5 million and give him the budget he wants for his staff then he's taking it.

And rest assured Purdue is more than ready and prepared to do so. He is under contract to Purdue and our intention is to keep it that way and allow him to finish what he has started and fulfill the goals he, his staff, his players and his incoming recruits have set for the Boilermaker program.

And rest assured Purdue is more than ready and prepared to do so. He is under contract to Purdue and our intention is to keep it that way and allow him to finish what he has started and fulfill the goals he, his staff, his players and his incoming recruits have set for the Boilermaker program.

That might be true. I know a lot of you guys are very confident in your AD and you've reiterated his commitment to football but I would need to see it to believe it. There's a big difference between a school going from near the bottom in the P5 conferences for coaches pay to near the top in 4-5 years. As I've pointed out in a previous post paying him over $6 million a year would have him in the top 7-8 coaches in all of college regardless of sport. Big difference between $4 million and $6-$7 million.

Like I said, if they want to hitch their wagon to Brohm that much then go for it. Jeff should 100% take that money and stay there.

That might be true. I know a lot of you guys are very confident in your AD and you've reiterated his commitment to football but I would need to see it to believe it. There's a big difference between a school going from near the bottom in the P5 conferences for coaches pay to near the top in 4-5 years. As I've pointed out in a previous post paying him over $6 million a year would have him in the top 7-8 coaches in all of college regardless of sport. Big difference between $4 million and $6-$7 million.

Like I said, if they want to hitch their wagon to Brohm that much then go for it. Jeff should 100% take that money and stay there.
Good post. This change at Purdue goes above the AD...it goes to the BOT, who is willing to pay what it takes to field a competitive program. They just dropped $65-70MM on a new football performance complex. They will pony up to keep Brohm, or find another coach if he wants to go home.

Reactions: destewart
Good post. This change at Purdue goes above the AD...it goes to the BOT, who is willing to pay what it takes to field a competitive program. They just dropped $65-70MM on a new football performance complex. They will pony up to keep Brohm, or find another coach if he wants to go home.

Personally I think there's always going to be a disconnect in people's minds about paying for "things" and paying for quality people. Its easy to sell an addition or a new building or a new locker room. You can see that, you can be wow'ed by the design drawings and you can see how impressive its going to look. Paying for a person is a lot different. Its an entire mentality change that typically changes over time. Is Purdue willing to go from 0-100 in 3 years? You guys seem to think so...is Purdue willing to pay that amount of money to Jeff Brohm? We don't know...we know they want to keep him obviously but is he THE guy? Is he the guy they're going to break the bank for? Don't know. I'm sure they would bump him up to $5 million to keep him. $6? $7? I can see them offering an increasing contract that might result in him getting $6 a year in like year 5 but I would be shocked if they offered anything close to $7 a year and I would be shocked if they offered an immediate bump to $6 starting next year.

Purdue has money, thats obvious but people with money are smart enough to know you can't just throw it around recklessly if you want to make more. At some point there's a place in everyone's mind that no matter how much you want to keep the guy or you believe in the guy that you know you have to let him walk.

Personally I think there's always going to be a disconnect in people's minds about paying for "things" and paying for quality people. Its easy to sell an addition or a new building or a new locker room. You can see that, you can be wow'ed by the design drawings and you can see how impressive its going to look. Paying for a person is a lot different. Its an entire mentality change that typically changes over time. Is Purdue willing to go from 0-100 in 3 years? You guys seem to think so...is Purdue willing to pay that amount of money to Jeff Brohm? We don't know...we know they want to keep him obviously but is he THE guy? Is he the guy they're going to break the bank for? Don't know. I'm sure they would bump him up to $5 million to keep him. $6? $7? I can see them offering an increasing contract that might result in him getting $6 a year in like year 5 but I would be shocked if they offered anything close to $7 a year and I would be shocked if they offered an immediate bump to $6 starting next year.

Purdue has money, thats obvious but people with money are smart enough to know you can't just throw it around recklessly if you want to make more. At some point there's a place in everyone's mind that no matter how much you want to keep the guy or you believe in the guy that you know you have to let him walk.
Agree with you. Purdue is a traditionally conservative school. But they are looking to change the athletic culture. I can tell you that Purdue LOVES the Brohms. He fits the culture at Purdue, which is not easy to find. Now, will he stay? I have no idea, but Purdue will not lose Brohm without emptying their gun. Still think he goes home.

President Daniels and local elected officials have secured commitments for more than $2.2 billion of investment in Purdue and West Lafayette over the next ten years including research park expansion whjch has already brought companies like GE Jet Engines, Rolls Royce and several biotech startups to the community. Yes, the Big Ten Network, jointly owned by Fox and the Big Ten has provided the fuel to drive the athletic department’s growth. Most important was the cultural change which brought fresh blood, new ideas and dynamic new marketing and fund raising personnel and ideas to the athletic department. The Big Ten is more than an athletic association, it is a consortium of 14 major research universities with more than 600,000 students. The largest such academic organization in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Academic_Alliance

Nothing is done recklessly. When others were seeking many more high profile coaches our AD zeroed in on
Jeff Brohm and despite others advising him against it, with the support of his Father he chose to come to West Lafayette. The marriage has been a good one. The foundation is poured and Purdue intends to do great things in the future, with Jeff at the helm of the football program.

Reactions: beardownboiler
i don't think money is the issue at all even if purdue offers him the vault, it simply comes down to whether he wants to come back to his hometown and be a legend or stay in lafayette and be a hero.

i don't think money is the issue at all even if purdue offers him the vault, it simply comes down to whether he wants to come back to his hometown and be a legend or stay in lafayette and be a hero.
If he wins 10 games in a season, he is a legend at Purdue. I love my university and the football program but to be honest it isn't the most consistent program over time. These are the Purdue's best seasons:
10 wins: 1979
9 wins: 8x (most recent 2003)
8 wins: 8x (most recent 2007)

If Brohm gets to 8 wins, he is viewed as an amazing coach...if he got to 10, Boilers every where would lose their collective minds.

They asked Jeff flat out if he would be the coach at Purdue next year and he didn't say yes.

Are you going to be the coach at Purdue next year?
"complete speculation, completely false, I love it where i am."

All very media savvy answers without confirming he's staying at Purdue.

3 times now he's danced around the question.

Conversely he did not say he wouldn’t be coaching at Purdue. At a time when decomitments are happening at many schools including Georgia, Oklahoma and Alabama that sure suggests whatever Purdue’s 24 recruits are being told has not impacted their confidence in the coach and staff that recruited them.

Conversely he did not say he wouldn’t be coaching at Purdue. At a time when decomitments are happening at many schools including Georgia, Oklahoma and Alabama that sure suggests whatever Purdue’s 24 recruits are being told has not impacted their confidence in the coach and staff that recruited them.

You've been a reasonable poster on here so this isn't meant to sound condescending.

Do you honestly think for even a half second that those recruits know absolutely anything? That they would be told any level of truth about what was going on in the situation? If you're a legit recruit currently committed to Purdue and you're not doing your due diligence as far as at least looking into a plan B school/staying at Purdue regardless/following Brohm then you're an idiot. I mean there's a decent chance Brohm leaves...everyone in college sports knows that. I mean, Milton Wright committed like a week ago and he freaking lives in Louisville and knows the likelihood of Brohm leaving Purdue. Kids commit to coaches....Wright of all people knows for certain that if Brohm leaves he has offer waiting at Louisville.

The staff would be telling the recruits they weren't going anywhere even if the contract had already been signed. It would be shady as hell on their part to be working for Purdue and telling kids to hold tight they'll get an offer once they get to Louisville or telling them that their HC was planning to take another job.

You've been a reasonable poster on here so this isn't meant to sound condescending.

Do you honestly think for even a half second that those recruits know absolutely anything? That they would be told any level of truth about what was going on in the situation? If you're a legit recruit currently committed to Purdue and you're not doing your due diligence as far as at least looking into a plan B school/staying at Purdue regardless/following Brohm then you're an idiot. I mean there's a decent chance Brohm leaves...everyone in college sports knows that. I mean, Milton Wright committed like a week ago and he freaking lives in Louisville and knows the likelihood of Brohm leaving Purdue. Kids commit to coaches....Wright of all people knows for certain that if Brohm leaves he has offer waiting at Louisville.

The staff would be telling the recruits they weren't going anywhere even if the contract had already been signed. It would be shady as hell on their part to be working for Purdue and telling kids to hold tight they'll get an offer once they get to Louisville or telling them that their HC was planning to take another job.

George Karlaftis, from West !afayette H.S., Coach Brohm’s first five star recruit, who committed more than a year ago, tonight announced he will sign his NLI with Purdue on December 19th in West !afayette. He has said he’s fulfilling his committment. The ball is in the corner of the man who asked this kid with deep Boilermaker ties to give him his pledge.

ADVERTISEMENT