ADVERTISEMENT

If Wisconsiin Beats Purdue today I predict Announcement made Imediately

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
i think if purdue loses, the signing will be announced asap. if they win, we've got to wait until season is over

Negative. After today.
They play IU.
Win and be 6-6. Bowl eligible.

Now lose to IU, then i can see that happening.

I want them to win out including the bowl game.

They asked Jeff flat out if he would be the coach at Purdue next year and he didn't say yes.

Are you going to be the coach at Purdue next year?
"complete speculation, completely false, I love it where i am."

All very media savvy answers without confirming he's staying at Purdue.

3 times now he's danced around the question.

Reactions: Smithereen

They asked Jeff flat out if he would be the coach at Purdue next year and he didn't say yes.

Cause he loses all leverage. Nothing is different from last year to this year. Just saying. Louisville is going to have to pay dearly for him from what I've read. It will be interesting to see. Brohm is in a win win situation. If Purdue pays him 6 mil, he wins. If Purdue doesn't pay him, he goes to Louisville. It's a win. He commits to one or the other, he loses all negotiation leverage.

Cause he loses all leverage. Nothing is different from last year to this year. Just saying. Louisville is going to have to pay dearly for him from what I've read. It will be interesting to see. Brohm is in a win win situation. If Purdue pays him 6 mil, he wins. If Purdue doesn't pay him, he goes to Louisville. It's a win. He commits to one or the other, he loses all negotiation leverage.

He wont break the bank here.
However he's worth it.

Right. I mean, obviously you can spin this to fit whatever narrative you want.

I still don't believe he was ever offered the Tennessee job based on whats been released. Actually its not even a belief at this point, aside from one report there is nothing that shows Tennessee offered him the job even among all the info and all the candidates that we know were part of UTs search. So I'm not convinced it is similar to last year. Plus, even if it were similar to last year you're dealing with a much different situation with Louisville.

I think you may be right and this could be a media savvy way to force Purdue to give him another raise, but this is also the exact tactic that every coach uses before they leave for the job that everyone says they're taking.

Reactions: ChicagolandBoiler
Then Louisville will match it.

But i doubt Purdue would offer that.
Why wouldnt they? They certainly have the money as that's not an issue. Purdue is becoming one of the better jobs in the big ten with the resources going into the football program. They are determined to win. I do think it's probably 50-50 right now. It's not a done deal I don't think.

Negative. After today.
They play IU.
Win and be 6-6. Bowl eligible.
if they lose i think they'll make the decision because purdue will realize that the team is distracted and it'll give their interim a chance to rally the team and win the final game and get bowl eligible. and if they are bowl eligible i doubt they'd let brohm coach anyways so best to get last win with interim coach,.like us

Not saying I don't believe you but I would like to read the article where Yahoo says Purdue is willing to pay $7-$8 million. If thats true then now they've lost all leverage and secondly.....I mean paying him that much would literally put him in the top 6-7 coaches in the country...regardless of sport. He would be up there with Harbaugh, Cal, Coach K, Dabo and be making more than Urban Meyer, Jimbo, Tom Herman, etc...I know Purdue has started making sports a priority from the financial side, but it would be surprising to see that Purdue's football coach is one of the highest paid coaches in all of college athletics.

Reactions: Smithereen
Not saying I don't believe you but I would like to read the article where Yahoo says Purdue is willing to pay $7-$8 million. If thats true then now they've lost all leverage and secondly.....I mean paying him that much would literally put him in the top 6-7 coaches in the country...regardless of sport. He would be up there with Harbaugh, Cal, Coach K, Dabo and be making more than Urban Meyer, Jimbo, Tom Herman, etc...I know Purdue has started making sports a priority from the financial side, but it would be surprising to see that Purdue's football coach is one of the highest paid coaches in all of college athletics.
At the same time, it would make a statement to the rest of the country and recruits that they are serious. Brohm is already making just under 4.

if they lose i think they'll make the decision because purdue will realize that the team is distracted and it'll give their interim a chance to rally the team and win the final game and get bowl eligible. and if they are bowl eligible i doubt they'd let brohm coach anyways so best to get last win with interim coach,.like us

I don't think so. When have you ever seen a coach leave a job before the end of the year? Plus, I would assume most of Purdue's staff will be coming with Jeff so whomever they make "interim" will likely be leaving as well. I just don't see Tyra making any kind of announcement until December 6th. He's made it clear that he's going to get his guy/gal and hire the best coaches but at the same time be more fiscally responsible and intelligent with his deals so I don't see him leaving $1 million dollars on the table just to sign Jeff a week or two early. If Jeff is coming and he's going to want to coach his guys through the season. If he's coming nothing Purdue can do in the few weeks before December 6th is going to change his mind.

At the same time, it would make a statement to the rest of the country and recruits that they are serious. Brohm is already making just under 4.

It would but thats like going from 0-100 real quick. Jeff's salary now is just "competitive" with most major D1 programs. There's a big difference between signing him to a competitive, realistic contract and moving your chips all in and signing him to a contract that nearly doubles his salary. I'm sure Purdue has money but like I said, thats a big, big change in demeanor in a short time.

It would but thats like going from 0-100 real quick. Jeff's salary now is just "competitive" with most major D1 programs. There's a big difference between signing him to a competitive, realistic contract and moving your chips all in and signing him to a contract that nearly doubles his salary. I'm sure Purdue has money but like I said, thats a big, big change in demeanor in a short time.

It is but look how quickly things have already changed. It took a lot just to get our AD to pay Hazell $2 million a year when he started in 2013 and now Brohm is basically making double that. A lot of changes have occurred in the last few years and our athletic department realizes the value in a good football program.

Don't see any decision or announcement until after Nov. 24th. Not waiting would be poor form and bad optics on the situation on both sides. I would not expect that from Tyra or Brohm.

That is true that he wouldn't coach the bowl game.

If Purdue loses, a monday or Tuesday announcement of an agreement reached in priciple would be College Christmas !

That is true that he wouldn't coach the bowl game.

If Purdue loses, a monday or Tuesday announcement of an agreement reached in priciple would be College Christmas !
I doubt it's being announced before iu game. In fact, I doubt Brohm has even agreed to anything with either team. Purdues AD is at charleston right now. Which indicates nothing is happening.

I doubt it's being announced before iu game. In fact, I doubt Brohm has even agreed to anything with either team. Purdues AD is at charleston right now. Which indicates nothing is happening.
All that indicates is that nothing is happening on the purdoo side of things.

All that indicates is that nothing is happening on the purdoo side of things.
Your right. Because nothing needs to be happening right now. They probably started talking about a contract extension before Louisville fired their coach. Purdue has what looks to be a really good AD. And it's showing.

If course it’s not. Neither is 7-8M. I was just responding to something ridiculous with more ridiculousness.
Well yes. 8 mil probably isn't happening. 6 wouldn't surprise me though. Purdue isn't hurting for money, is a pretty good job with investments in place to only become a better job, and the AD and president are willing to do whatever it takes to win in football. This isn't a bad job like it was 3 years ago. It's not even comparable. And it shows in every aspect. And it's all thanks to Mike Bobinski. A good hire like Brohm helps results come sooner.

I guess let me ask this, how is it ridiculous for Purdue to pay Brohm 7 million but it's not for Louisville to pay Brohm 7 million? Louisville paid Petrino basically the same Brohm made at Purdue.

Yahoo reports Purdue is willing to pay him between 7 and 8 mil.
I love Brohm here at Purdue, but 7 to 8 million, for what? I would think there would be other options just as good, for less. Not saying he won't win, but he still hasn't proven he can win consistently at the Power 5 level. Paying that much for the current results is flat out financially irresponsible!!!

I love Brohm here at Purdue, but 7 to 8 million, for what? I would think there would be other options just as good, for less. Not saying he won't win, but he still hasn't proven he can win consistently at the Power 5 level. Paying that much for the current results is flat out financially irresponsible!!!
Current results?? You mean taking over a sh!t program like Purdue that had gone 9-39 over the past 4 years before Jeff arrived? Then going 7-6 and winning a Bowl game in his first year? Or are you forgetting about the 3 ranked teams Purdue has beaten this year including humiliating #2 Ohio St. 49-20. And all of this in just over a year and half on the job.

But you be you and wait on a more seasoned coach. I hear Ron Zook is available.

In the words of Denis Leary: “I hate Purdue, when the fk have they ever won anything?”

Current results?? You mean taking over a sh!t program like Purdue that had gone 9-39 over the past 4 years before Jeff arrived? Then going 7-6 and winning a Bowl game in his first year? Or are you forgetting about the 3 ranked teams Purdue has beaten this year including humiliating #2 Ohio St. 49-20. And all of this in just over a year and half on the job.

In the words of Denis Leary: “I hate Purdue, when the fk have they ever

In the words of Denis Leary: “I hate Purdue, when the fk have they ever won anything?”
Lol!! I'm not saying he's not a good coach, he has done wonders at Purdue! But to pay him 8 million, I say pass, you guys can have him.

I don't think either school goes to 7-8 million for Jeff. I would like to havehim at Louisville but not for that much he really hasn't proofed he worth that kind of money.

I don't think either school goes to 7-8 million for Jeff. I would like to havehim at Louisville but not for that much he really hasn't proofed he worth that kind of money.
I think Purdue offers 5.8 this year. Why that number? Gut feeling they want to make him 4th highest paid coach next year behind Urban, Harbaugh, and lovie Smith.

Reactions: boilermaker1975

Nope. This is the dance we’ve been through to many times. You guys just haven’t been there. We’ve had coaches do that dance and their gone. Pitino would come out and say nope I’m staying here. He would kill rumors immediately. Denny same thing. So unless they come out and kill it well I would be nervous if I was a Purdue fan.

Why wouldnt they? They certainly have the money as that's not an issue. Purdue is becoming one of the better jobs in the big ten with the resources going into the football program. They are determined to win. I do think it's probably 50-50 right now. It's not a done deal I don't think.
Dude, Jeff Brohm is your program. Don’t make it seem like anyone can win at Purdue, because unless they’re an alumni of Purdue, they aren’t sticking around.

I know many have already proclaimed Brohm our new savior, but I hope we are prepared for the chance he doesn't leave Purdue. Talking to a couple of his former teammates and friends...this is not even close to a done deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT