ADVERTISEMENT

If we win NIT or even a hint of championship game does Padgett get the full time gig?

KYjellyforU

No-Ranking Prospect
Oct 17, 2003
just curious...I like the kid....
Does he deserve a shot at the head coach full time If he takes this team to the finals or even wins the NIT?

Reactions: wilkie01
I’d say Padgett is like the 5th or 6th coach down on the list. Best case scenario for him to become U of L’s coach is to remain on staff as an assistant under a more veteran coach and whenever that coach retires in about 15 years he steps in at 48. If he is forced to right this ship with such little experience it may result in poor response from the fans when he takes about 5-10 years to get us in contention for a title again. I’d say that is the best he could give us. 3 years of crap with the nonexistent recruiting class followed by a long climb up.

We’re playing for 69th place by winning the nit... so as likable as he is let’s pass
I don' like the take that we are playing for 69th place.. We're playing to win "A Tournament " that actually has some pretty good teams in it. I would argue we have beaten as good of teams as the slapdicks so far and probably have a tougher road to the NIT Final Four than they do the NCAA Final Four.. If we played every team in the NCAA tournament it wouldn' be a stretch to say we would be favored over 50 of them, so to say we're playing for 69th place is little brotherish..

He probably won't, but I think most fans are being too hard on him.
Probably true but then again, no coach should have thin skin. I doubt coach Padgett has thin skin, and I'm fairly confident he doesn't much give a damn what we think about the job he's done. He had a team that pre-season ranked 16th, and failed to make the NCAA tournament. There were 5 other teams pre-season ranked who failed to make the NCAA tourney - #10 USC, #14 Notre Dame, #19 Northwestern, #22 St. Mary's, and #24 Baylor.

Brey had a decent excuse since he lost his best player for most of the ACC schedule. IDK about the other 4. Still, when you have that type of expectation pre-season, it's not asking too much to be included in the field of 68.

I like Padgett but he's not ready for this challenge. I'd rather see him turn this into a HC job at a mid major where he can work his way up.

If we do keep him to absorb losses I hope he gets a real coaches salary.

The last 'experienced' coaching hire went 19-13 in his first year and got to the NIT second round. So any discussion on the value of experience based on an initial season seems out of place.

Was just having more than solid talent on hand was going to make this a cake walk season for Padgett? Really? No staff, turmoil, new, interim AD who is an arch-rival alumni; interim President; politically appointed BOT? No distractions for coach or players here this season, eh?

As an interim, inexperienced, first time, thrown into the fire coach, Coach David Padgett has accomplished more than probably any coach could have - first time or experienced. If he does get the nod it should not be looked as 'settling'. He has earned a shot at the position beyond this season.

When it comes to alternatives to Coach Padgett there is on 'brand name' coach who may be on the market that may be a great hire.

That would be Tom Izzo if he bails on MSU and their scandal.

The last 'experienced' coaching hire went 19-13 in his first year and got to the NIT second round. So any discussion on the value of experience based on an initial season seems out of place.
Slightly different circumstance. Coach Pitino was taking over a program coming off 12-19 record and turned that around to 19-13. THAT is what bringing fresh new blood with experience to the table gets you. David Padgett doesn't have the experience yet still won 19 games with all the crap he was dealt, but that included a team full of talented division talent. Pitino didn't have top division 1 talent to deal with in 2001 but that's my opinion. You are certainly entitled to your own.

Reactions: CardsDan
Poor comparison. The last 'experienced" coach didn't have anywhere near the talent this team has, not even close..

I Agree Padgett did a good job under the circumstances he was faced with, problem is this team repeated the same mistakes all year. Also, Padgett is too much one of the guys. Needs to learn to be the boss not a buddy..

He will do well in time, who knows, may be back here some day..

Poor comparison. The last 'experienced" coach didn't have anywhere near the talent this team has, not even close..

I Agree Padgett did a good job under the circumstances he was faced with, problem is this team repeated the same mistakes all year. Also, Padgett is too much one of the guys. Needs to learn to be the boss not a buddy..

He will do well in time, who knows, may be back here some day..
And you know that’s true based on what? Were you at all the practices? This team had their HC taken away from them right before the season started. They had all the speculation of what was going to happen regarding the appeals. The last thing these guys needed was a Bobby Knight discipline riding their asses. They needed a coach who was in their corner. I don’t think he babies them either except his philosophy and CRP’s differed. We always debated that with all the injuries our players had was that CRP overtrained some of his players.

He has done a pretty good job. It is actually pretty amazing how 1 or 2 plays at the end of certain games could have change everyone's opinion of Coach Padgett.

Miami, FSU, Clemson, Seaton Hall, Purdue, Virginia, Syracuse if someone would have made a play or the team execute better all those games were 1 possession type of games. Every game came down to a player mistake, not executing or missing a shot. It really wasn't lack of coaching that cost them wins.

I think his biggest weakness was he wasn't hard enough on key players when they continued to take bad shots, turning it over or playing awful team defense. At the end of the day greatest attribute of any successful coach is pushing the right button at the right time. He is still learning that part of coaching which is completely understandable.

Very difficult to hand the keys over to him at this point.

And you know that’s true based on what?

Know what part is true ?

The last thing this team needed was a buddy for a coach. There wasn't one ounce of self discipline or mental toughness on this team. I didn't have to be at practice to see that. I was at a lot of games and watched a lot on tv.. Same mistakes over and over. No need to look any farther than the end of the Virginia game..

I greatly appreciate Padgett taking on the challenge under terrible circumstances, he probably over achieved. Didn't help he had bump on a log Trent Johnson for an assistant.. The experience will serve him well in the future..

At this point I am for hiring Padgett. He has been there for us as a player and a coach. He has led us with honor and dignity in the midst of messes and caused by others. Beat Mississippi State. I hope he wins the NIT. GO CARDS!

Reactions: American Male
At this point I am for hiring Padgett. He has been there for us as a player and a coach. He has led us with honor and dignity in the midst of messes and caused by others. Beat Mississippi State. I hope he wins the NIT. GO CARDS!
Please, do not devalue this job and set your sites a little higher !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT