ADVERTISEMENT

If the one and done rule is overturned?

I'm late to this thread and don't care to go back and check...

If anyone has discussed the effects of such a change, there is little doubt IMO who it affects the most and that's LPT. I'm not saying good or bad because you don't know--too many variables in play. But it should impact them the most. Consider that::

• A good recruit has to stay more than one year, but...
  • Will that affect how many blue chippers Lite signs? Why would a 5-star kid sign with a team that has a full team of 5-stars returning?
  • And won't that drive 5-star kids to other teams with better coaches?
  • Compounded by the fact that there would be sixty or more Rivals 5-star kids playing college basketball in a given year (two full classes plus the carryovers).
  • All of which will reduce LPT’s talent monopoly while they still have the same coach on the bench during games.
Any slappy thinking this is blue skies for the home team needs to be careful what he wishes for.

“Elite program,” my a$$...
You seem to have put great thought in your post. Unfortunately, it will not.

If the one and done rule is changed there are a few areas where UK could be hurt and a few where it might help.

First off it would depend what system they set up...if its setup for a straight out of high school or 3 years in college then I do think that might have a huge impact on UK. I think more kids would try overseas and/or the DLeague and I think more kids would skip college altogether. It would force Cal to completely alter his recruiting and completely change the way in which he markets and targets talent. It would also force him to scout and develop players more effectively and efficiently. Off the top of my head Cauley-Stein and Ullis were the only two significant players he's brought to UK that weren't 5 star kids and Ullis was still a McDonalds AA....so scouting out develop-able talent isn't his strong suit. Also, players would probably look to a coach who has more of a reputation for developing talent. Most of the top kids going to school in a 3 and done system probably wouldn't be considered NBA locks in the current system so it stands to reason that kids would look at the coaches who develop players the best and go to schools that turn kids that might not be NBA players into NBA players. This would be a big selling point for a program like Louisville.

If however its a 2 and done scenario where high school kids can go but if you come you must stay 2 years....I think it would probably force the top 8-10 players into the draft but might not have as huge of an impact as some think. Since 2009 Cal would certainly lost: Cousins, Wall, Knight, T. Jones, Anthony Davis, MKG, Noel, Randle, Twins, Townes, Skal, Fox and Monk but who knows the butterfly effect that would have had on UKs recruiting if they knew they were going to have Sophomore Bledsoe and Orton or Sophomre Marquis Teauge, Devin Booker, Trey Lyles, Doron Lamb, James Young, Jamal Murray, etc. Who knows if those kids would have even came to UK in a 2 and done system but if we assume they still come then as a UL fan give me whatever Freshman replaced all those kids instead of having to face a Sophomore version of those guys.

feiAqR
People tend to get too caught up in a specific definition or a specific mindset on what constitutes a "good coach."

You're insane if you don't think Cal's a good coach.....Now, is Cal the best tactician? No. Does he develop players? Thats tough to say, most of the kids that come play for him are successful, even the kids that didn't live up to the hype. The Twins, Poythress, Skal, Teague, etc. However...newsflash guys...recruiting is part of coaching and he's the John Wooden of recruiting. Getting a group of guys that have never played together to play together and do it well....is coaching.

You're comparing apples to oranges when you compare what Cal does with what Rick does. Cal has the benefit of recruiting the elite of the elite and putting them in a system that best showcases their talent. Rick more or less has to take the best players he can get that fit his system...Rick recruits very well, but year in and year out Rick's best recruit would probably be Cal's 4th or 5th best recruit and that talent gap is why Cal always wins. Gorgui Dieng is one of my favorite players of all time but no amount of coaching is going to make him better than Anthony Davis. Most years Cal's Freshman come into college basketball better than ULs developed sophomores and juniors and because of that people assume he can't coach because he doesn't "develop" them. But they fail to discuss the difficulty of coaching freshman and the difficulty of dealing with a new roster every year.

Rick and Cal are both great coaches - they just aren't coaching the same way.
Do I want a good recruiter or a good tactician? Edit: I failed to get the why not both girl meme in this reply.

Anytime. And that's one guy. At UMASS. A program he built in his on. Logical minds can't deny that that was good coaching.

In this thread I credited him with doing a great job @ UMASS. He also did a lousy job his first 5 years at Memphis - these are the time frames he coached prior to OAD - so a couple great yrs at a very tough place to win + 5 lousy years equals out to average results pre OAD.

Reactions: drcats2013
If the one and done rule is changed there are a few areas where UK could be hurt and a few where it might help.

First off it would depend what system they set up...if its setup for a straight out of high school or 3 years in college then I do think that might have a huge impact on UK...
The Players' Union will have to be managed, but the last thing it sounds like the NBA wants is more kids who aren't ready for pro ball. It's not about fairness to the kids, it's about saving the owners from themselves. They can't NOT draft kids with potential unless they're prevented from doing so. The longer they have to wait, the better that decision is made.

IMO just about any scenario will affect LPT. TBD whether good or bad...

Last edited:
The Players' Union will have to be managed, but the last thing it sounds like the NBA wants is more kids who aren't ready for pro ball. It's not about fairness to the kids, it's about saving the owners from themselves. They can't NOT draft kids with potential unless they're prevented from doing so. The longer they have to wait, the better that decision is made.

IMO just about scenario will affect LPT. TBD whether good or bad...
We can't deny that it makes no sense to try and make kids who don't care at all about school go to college. I've said this until I'm blue in the face. Kids like Ben Simmons are not good for college basketball. It's stupid to make kids go to school when they don't care one iota about their studies. Not saying you're wrong. The NBA will always win the day. But I think these kids should be out of the college game.

Reactions: poppycat
the last thing it sounds like the NBA wants is more kids who aren't ready for pro ball. [...] it's about saving the owners from themselves.

I believed this was true until I read Silver's comments on getting rid of OAD, and his logic blew my mind at first but after thinking about it, what he said makes sense. Silver is saying he wants to get these kids into a D-League situation right away, where they can get NBA sanctioned training in their most critical years for development.

If you read between the lines of Silver's statements, it's a backhanded slap in the face to Calipari. Calipari has coached the lion's share of these guys in college, and according to what Silver is suggesting, Calipari is doing a poor job of preparing them with fundamentals for the NBA. Silver seems to think the players would be better off in a D-League getting instruction from NBA experts rather than subpar instruction from college coaches. I think he's right.

I believed this was true until I read Silver's comments on getting rid of OAD, and his logic blew my mind at first but after thinking about it, what he said makes sense. Silver is saying he wants to get these kids into a D-League situation right away, where they can get NBA sanctioned training in their most critical years for development.

If you read between the lines of Silver's statements, it's a backhanded slap in the face to Calipari. Calipari has coached the lion's share of these guys in college, and according to what Silver is suggesting, Calipari is doing a poor job of preparing them with fundamentals for the NBA. Silver seems to think the players would be better off in a D-League getting instruction from NBA experts rather than subpar instruction from college coaches. I think he's right.
I'm not a Calipari fan by a long shot but I think this a stretch. Otherwise they wouldn't open their arms to former college coaches like Donovan and the Celtics coach.

Reactions: poppycat
I believed this was true until I read Silver's comments on getting rid of OAD, and his logic blew my mind at first but after thinking about it, what he said makes sense. Silver is saying he wants to get these kids into a D-League situation right away, where they can get NBA sanctioned training in their most critical years for development...
I heard his comments but didn't read any of the written accounts. As I understood his issue, the NBA is overpaying for kids who are big risks. Why that is and how to fix it are the questions going forward.

If Silver wants more of a minor league system of 18- and 19-year olds, it won't be to play a bunch of junior millionaires. That defeats the purpose. His owners want to be better judges of talent and potential BEFORE they commit big money. Evidently, one year in college isn't enough time under the "right" coaching to indicate that.

But back to the college game, IMO just about any change of substance affects LPT while Lite is there more than most other teams.

"Elite program," my a$$...

I'm not a Calipari fan by a long shot but I think this a stretch. Otherwise they wouldn't open their arms to former college coaches like Donovan and the Celtics coach.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I was just going by what Silver said:

“My sense is it’s not working for anyone,” Silver said Thursday night before Game 1 of the N.B.A. finals. “It’s not working for the college coaches and athletic directors I hear from. They’re not happy with the current system. And I know our teams aren’t happy either, in part because they don’t necessarily think the players who are coming into the league are getting the kind of training that they would expect to see.”

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/sports/basketball/adam-silver-nba-draft-one-and-done.html

That last part is what struck me. To me, he's saying his NBA people are telling him that Calipari and the other college coaches aren't getting these guys prepared properly. Also, I realize some of these guys are doing well, but the question is whether they can and should be doing better. The NBA Commissioner seems to be saying they can and should be doing better.

I have no idea if Silver was just talking or if he's serious about a change. But it makes sense to me, that if they're unhappy with the tutelage these prodigies are getting playing in college, that they'd want to bring them into the NBA environment at a younger age.

Reactions: nccardfan
...it makes sense to me, that if they're unhappy with the tutelage these prodigies are getting playing in college, that they'd want to bring them into the NBA environment at a younger age.
That's not my takeaway... It's true the NBA wants to better know what they're getting before they lock themselves into lucrative contracts for the draftees. If that's possible at 19 years old with "better coaching", fine. But it may not be possible at 19 years old, period. Silver probably wants to be careful saying that.

I don't think any changes will be driven by the welfare of the players, rather, by the teams and owners. Simply getting kids drafted and paid millions at 18 years old won't accomplish that...

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I was just going by what Silver said:

“My sense is it’s not working for anyone,” Silver said Thursday night before Game 1 of the N.B.A. finals. “It’s not working for the college coaches and athletic directors I hear from. They’re not happy with the current system. And I know our teams aren’t happy either, in part because they don’t necessarily think the players who are coming into the league are getting the kind of training that they would expect to see.”

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/sports/basketball/adam-silver-nba-draft-one-and-done.html

That last part is what struck me. To me, he's saying his NBA people are telling him that Calipari and the other college coaches aren't getting these guys prepared properly. Also, I realize some of these guys are doing well, but the question is whether they can and should be doing better. The NBA Commissioner seems to be saying they can and should be doing better.

I have no idea if Silver was just talking or if he's serious about a change. But it makes sense to me, that if they're unhappy with the tutelage these prodigies are getting playing in college, that they'd want to bring them into the NBA environment at a younger age.
I did not see calipari's name mentioned anywhere in the article. Speculation or opinion?

The rules and strategy in the NBA differs greatly from the college game. College level allows for junk defenses and there is little to none of that in the NBA today.

A true minor league NBA system could allow the NBA to apply pro "rules" for the younger players toiling in the minor league level, and help those players make a smoother transition to the pro game.

I think this is part of what Silver is hinting at when he says NBA front office and coaching personnel are saying they are disappointed the college players aren't as ready for the pros as they had hoped.

We can't deny that it makes no sense to try and make kids who don't care at all about school go to college. I've said this until I'm blue in the face. Kids like Ben Simmons are not good for college basketball. It's stupid to make kids go to school when they don't care one iota about their studies. Not saying you're wrong. The NBA will always win the day. But I think these kids should be out of the college game.

I agree - holding them hostage just doesn't seem appropriate. The NBA needs to go ahead and incorporate a real minor league system. It could actually have a more positive impact on college hoops.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
College coaches have jobs to win games in college, try to help mold character for life experiences. NBA coaches' job is to train a player to win pro games.
Some overlap and some coaches try to overlap too much........just my opinion.
It's take more than 1 year to mold character and instill values......the NBA won't wait that long......they want teenagers with potential and cry if they don't act like older adults.

In this thread I credited him with doing a great job @ UMASS. He also did a lousy job his first 5 years at Memphis - these are the time frames he coached prior to OAD - so a couple great yrs at a very tough place to win + 5 lousy years equals out to average results pre OAD.
The academic level at UMass was a standing joke - no, lol, it was a Guffaw, lol. Both of their stars had sub 1.5 GPA averages for more than 1 season. The optics were so bad, Cal bailed to the Nets where he screwed up royally, particularly on the PR level.....thence to Memphis, thence to WWW/Nike/CAA where the world suddenly changed dramatically. The Bledsoe affair was so tawdry, the NY Times picked up on it. It literally defied belief that a speech-challenged kid would ace Algebra 3 before even taking Algebra 2, ha ha. Only in the American South. Calipari is learning to coach - he has to pick up something over all this time given the players he inherits. But he was also a big huge bust for anyone wanting a closer.

Pitino, Roy, Self, K and even Jim Boeheim, Belien at Michigan, Huggy Bear would have fared far better with the same kids.

Calipari was born as a big time coach standing in the baseline between third and home, 10 feet from hiome and he still couldn't close but once, with clearly the greatest assemblages of talent in UK history - or anyone else's history. His election to the HOF demeaned that Museum beyond measure or caring.

His legacy is etched in stone and it is quite embarrassing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT