ADVERTISEMENT

If the one and done rule is overturned?

Cardinal Cash

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2016
How is that going to affect teams like UK and even college basketball recruiting in general? When the best athletes stop going to college will the game become less enjoyable? What is the general consensus? I've heard that this rule could be done sooner rather than later.

It used to be allowed for kids to go straight to the NBA. The top 3 or 5 high school kids will go straight to the NBA, and the rest will go to college. I don't think it will affect much at all.

Reactions: Cats192
How is that going to affect teams like UK and even college basketball recruiting in general? When the best athletes stop going to college will the game become less enjoyable? What is the general consensus? I've heard that this rule could be done sooner rather than later.

Just curious - where have you heard this rule could be done sooner rather than later?

If the HS players had a direct path to the NBA straight out of HS - the college game would truly suffer. Not only would the top players go, but so would the next cut lower players - they'd settle for the D League invite.

It seems like lately the top kids have been going to lesser schools like Fultz, Simmons, and Porter so I don't think it will change too much

Coach Cal has shown he can win big without NBA Lottery talent. Said nobody.

The better coaches: I'll name a few that all know.
Rick Pitino, Coach Cal, R. Williams, Coach K.
All won before the OAD.
All have won during OAD.
All will win after the OAD.

Some won by using the OAD.
Some won by not using the OAD.

If anyone suffers, it will be the second tier coaches.

Just curious - where have you heard this rule could be done sooner rather than later?

If the HS players had a direct path to the NBA straight out of HS - the college game would truly suffer. Not only would the top players go, but so would the next cut lower players - they'd settle for the D League invite.
I heard it discussed the other day on draft coverage. Something was said along the lines of the OAD rule hasn't helped the NCAA or the NBA significantly so Silver has discussed changes in the future.

It will be interesting to see what decision they make. I think they should make them go to college for two years at least.
Associate's degree makes sense. Basically like a junior college. For kids that really want to play in the NBA it at least makes them take school seriously if they don't jump straight to the league which I think should be an optIon.

All won before the OAD.
All have won during OAD.

Cal's record prior to OAD was average at best.

The NBA controls what happens. To me it's all about the money. They will make kids stay in school 2-3 years before becoming eligible for the NBA. By doing this it's lessens the odds that a player will get two max contracts during there careers.

I'm interested to see if more top players don't go overseas similar to what Emmunial Mudiay did a few years ago. The only downside is they'll get more exposure in the US. But it's hard to turn down at least 6 figures as a teenager.

All won before the OAD.
All have won during OAD.

Rick Pitino
Roy Williams
Mike Krzyzewski
John Calipari

One of those four didn't win a championship before OAD. I'll give ya one guess as to who didn't.

Yeah, at UMass, where he went to a final four. It's not like he was at a big time school with great resources.

Like I said, he also won a total of 1 NCAA tournament games his first FIVE years at Memphis and went to 3 NITs.

Was a one hit wonder till the OAD saved him.

Was that prior to UK?

He's a mediocre bench coach - their own fans will tell you that - especially after they lose to a less talented team in March. Or when they're sleepwalking during the regular season SEC road schedule.

It's great that you respect the history of their program good for you. Believe it or not, I respect their program and ability to win - but the built in advantages that exist with UK wouldn't help him in a potential era where the elite players can go straight to the NBA or D League.

I'm not saying he'd go to the NIT 3 out of every 5 years while he did at Memphis pre OAD. But I am saying he's just an average at best bench coach.

If you eliminate the top shelf recruits - recruiting becomes a REAL crap shoot. Recruiting classes as we know it lean on the top shelf in most instances to rank the classes. He's even had his share of misses that are on the 5 star level, just like everybody else.

Since he's never won at a high level WITHOUT lottery talent, I'm just making a fair assumption he wouldn't continue to win at the rate he's currently winning WITH the lottery talent.

Last edited:
Marcus Camby. 2nd pick in NBA draft - that's the lottery. Far and away best player @ UMASS for their E8 and FF team.

Thanks for stopping by.
Came to UMass as a skinny beanpole. It's not like he jumped to the NBA after his freshman year. He came in with some potential, but he definitely wasn't a lottery pick his freshman year.

He's a mediocre bench coach - their own fans will tell you that - especially after they lose to a less talented team in March. Or when they're sleepwalking during the regular season SEC road schedule.

It's great that you respect the history of their program good for you. Believe it or not, I respect their program and ability to win - but the built in advantages that exist with UK wouldn't help him in a potential era where the elite players can go straight to the NBA or D League.

I'm not saying he'd go to the NIT 3 out of every 5 years while he did at Memphis pre OAD. But I am saying he's just an average at best bench coach.

If you eliminate the top shelf recruits - recruiting becomes a REAL crap shoot. Recruiting classes as we know it lean on the top shelf in most instances to rank the classes. He's even had his share of misses that are on the 5 star level, just like everybody else.

Since he's never won at a high level WITHOUT lottery talent, I'm just making a fair assumption he wouldn't continue to win at the rate he's currently winning WITH the lottery talent.
Okay, so what's Rick's excuse? He obviously doesn't want to mess with oad kids, so where are all of his titles? He gets his players for 3 to 4 years, if he's such a great coach then why does Cal have better tournament results since 09/10?

Rick Pitino
Roy Williams
Mike Krzyzewski
John Calipari

One of those four didn't win a championship before OAD. I'll give ya one guess as to who didn't.
If we are looking for common denominators, each of those coaches won their first championship at a blue blood and have never won a title when not at a blue blood. (And Pitino's second title, which now looks to be vacated, was at a top 10 program after 13 years.)

If we are looking for common denominators, each of those coaches won their first championship at a blue blood and have never won a title when not at a blue blood. (And Pitino's second title, which now looks to be vacated, was at a top 10 program after 13 years.)

Duke was not a blue blood when krzyzewski took over. Far from it. I'll ask you the same question as I asked your buddy. Why do you come to a Louisville Cardinal board to seek validation for a Kentucky Wildcat coach?

Reactions: shadow force

And since you want to come over here and throw jabs by saying... "And Pitino's second title, which now looks to be vacated"... then with that logic Calipari has no relevance before the OAD era whatsoever.

Came to UMass as a skinny beanpole. It's not like he jumped to the NBA after his freshman year. He came in with some potential, but he definitely wasn't a lottery pick his freshman year.

He was a lottery pick. Twist yourself into a pretzel all you want.

Calipari has had lottery picks on all his "good" teams throughout his coaching career.

Shouldn't be such a tough pill to swallow.

Okay, so what's Rick's excuse? He obviously doesn't want to mess with oad kids, so where are all of his titles? He gets his players for 3 to 4 years, if he's such a great coach then why does Cal have better tournament results since 09/10?

The thread is about the impact of OAD talent getting to go straight to the NBA. Since Pitino wins without OAD talent - your post above is completely off topic.

I bet you think you made an awesome point. You didn't.

Why does that matter?

Because the thread is about the impact of the OAD rule being changed, and the results of coaches prior to the OAD era could be pertinent to the conversation.

Your grade school teachers really failed you. You should be mad at them, not UofL posters on the UofL board.

Have a great summer champ.

And to answer your question... your other buddy poppycat stated that the "better" coaches won before the OAD. Not so sure Calipari was considered one of the "better" coaches before the OAD

I'm sure - Calipari wasn't. He reached one FF prior to the OAD. In his first five years at Memphis he reached the NIT 3 times and won one little NCAA game in that time frame.

To make it simple - he had a great run at one job and was doing lousy at the other. Add the two stints together, and it equals what I said in my very first post - the guy was an average coach prior to the OAD era.

Not sure why it hurts them so bad - oh wait I know why. They are some insecure clowns, that's why.

If we are looking for common denominators, each of those coaches won their first championship at a blue blood and have never won a title when not at a blue blood.

If you are looking to go off topic, you're doing a great job.

The topic is how would the OAD rule change impact college basketball.

A UK fan tried to say Calipari was a great coach prior to the OAD - and that's just wrong.

And since you want to come over here and throw jabs by saying... "And Pitino's second title, which now looks to be vacated"... then with that logic Calipari has no relevance before the OAD era whatsoever.

Good call out.

Irrelevant. Much like 99.9% of the posts they've generated in this thread.

The only way one and done ever gets changed is if the NBA and the players association decide on it. The NBA would like a two and done, the players association would like them to come straight out of high school. Until those two come together and decide it will stay the same.

Absolutely nothing will change if one and done changes. The elite schools will still be elite and schools like UK and Duke will still get the elite of the elite that comes to school. UK will replace the kids that go pro out of high school with other elite kids that might not be as good but will form the foundation of more solid, cohesive team due to smaller roster turnover. Also the kids that weren't projected as first round picks will now be forced to stay in school and will allow UK to field much more experienced, talented teams.

If the 2 and through or 3 and through rule had been in place UK likely wouldn't have gotten Cousins, Wall, Davis, Gilchrist, Knight, Skal, Townes, Nerlens, Randle, Fox, Monk....but...kids like Booker, Bledsoe, Ullis, Teague, Briscoe, Orton, Young, Murray, Lyles, Lamb, etc...all would have been at UK for multiple years and formed teams that would have likely been much better than the teams UK ended up with.

Bottom line....I would say the only outcome for college basketball fans that weakens UK at all is if the NBA goes back to the old rule and places no restrictions on when they can go. If you're looking for the best way to take power away from Cal...the current system is the best option as I don't see them ever going back to the old way. Cal has shown that even with an absolutely insane abundance of talent that its difficult to win a title with inexperience in March.

Last edited:
We've had this discussion a few times over the years.

An argument can be made the NBA OAD rule helps NCAA basketball quality, but I don't agree with that. I think it hurts the overall quality of basketball since the very top talent doesn't stick around long enough to really excel and grow as a college player.

Imagine the great moments we all would have missed had some of the very best only went to college for just a year? Players like Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, James Worthy, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Jerry West, and Pete Maravich just to name a few? The list of great college talent goes on and on. Those great college players would have left after 1 semester had the money been worth it, and the game itself would have suffered.

I agree with those who say the baseball rule should be adopted. Either 0 years in college or a minimum of 3. The NBA has the NBDL for players who choose not to go to college. It's time the NBA does what's best for their own game too. Right now the NBA is nothing but a shell of its former level of really great players. Now it's diluted with a bunch of raw talent that doesn't understand how to play.

Reactions: poppycat and SoulSr
If you are looking to go off topic, you're doing a great job.

The topic is how would the OAD rule change impact college basketball.

A UK fan tried to say Calipari was a great coach prior to the OAD - and that's just wrong.
How is that off topic? It is providing an alternative explanation for the argument that Cal's success is due to the OAD era. The fact remains that each of the top coaches cited have only won a title (and have had nearly all of their success) at top 7-8 programs. It took a while to build Memphis from the terrible program it was, and yes this coincided with the OAD era, but there is no way to prove that he wouldn't have had the same success, just like there is no way to prove that the other top coaches cited (including Pitino) would have had similar or greater success at lesser programs.

Calipari has never been to a Final Four before the OAD era.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT