ADVERTISEMENT

If Padgett wins at Notre Dame

Cardinal Cash

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2016
Just give him the job for at least another year. Maybe as a “Players coach” he can recruit a few one and dones. At this point we are hamstringing the next guy because 2018 has no actual players committed. That is an impossible case to overcome. We need to name a coach well before the next signing period or we will be playing a bunch of walk-ons out there. Also, we need to start going after a few guys who are a little bit below our typical standards because we just need the bodies. 2018-19 could be a nightmare season if we don’t figure out who the next coach is gonna be and who will be a part of the 2018 recruiting class.

IMO, it’s too good a job to just reward it to DP by default. The position should be opened up to gauge the number of candidates interested at season’s end. If he has a great year, he gets an interview.

While our last two games have given us reason to be hopeful for a successful season let’s not get ahead of ourselves, we’re not even ranked!

Plus, it makes perfect sense to bring in a new coach if he’s one of the top ten coaches in the country that has proven he can recruit! At the end of the day, we must have a guy that can get players. DP has zero track record of being able to do that.

Padgett deserves more latitude than basing his future on the outcome of a game or two. His body of work for the season is his audition for the UofL job IMO.

I'm pulling for him to succeed.
Im pulling for the team to succeed as well, and that of course includes DP. That said, UofL is too big / good of a job to hand it over to someone who’s not ready for it. Let’s not forget - this is a talented roster - one that was picked top 10-15 preseason so it’s not as if he is working with kids who don’t know the system or can’t play.

I can think of more than a few situations when a guy was given the keys before he was ready and drove it into the ditch. UofL is not some mid major that has to settle. Should Padgett get the job and fail - that would set the program back another 5 years. There’s too much riding on things to risk it - no matter what happens this year.

I think we should be ranked in the next poll. Winning on the road at FSU and barely losing to Clemson is nothing to scoff at. All of our losses are to ranked teams, and we are piling up good wins now that we are in conference. As big of a deal as it is to get the coach, the players matter more at this point. if no one is available to suit up for the cards who can coach a team without any players? It’s already probable that we have no 2018 class. What happens if we get very behind in the 2019 class? We’d be screwed for 3 years minimum. That can’t happen.

Im pulling for the team to succeed as well, and that of course includes DP. That said, UofL is too big / good of a job to hand it over to someone who’s not ready for it. Let’s not forget - this is a talented roster - one that was picked top 10-15 preseason so it’s not as if he is working with kids who don’t know the system or can’t play.

I can think of more than a few situations when a guy was given the keys before he was ready and drove it into the ditch. UofL is not some mid major that has to settle. Should Padgett get the job and fail - that would set the program back another 5 years. There’s too much riding on things to risk it - no matter what happens this year.
I was wondering who would bring up the fact that they were preseasoned ranked #16 and imply that they should be playing at this level. Ask Arizona #3, UK #5, Florida #8, WVU #11 and Minnesota #15 what those preseason rankings mean? How do you tell if a guy’s ready to take over? Don’t you have to give him the opportunity first?

I really do respect your point of view because I 100% understand it. The UofL job is easily one of the better college coaching jobs in division 1. It's hard to fathom coach Padgett getting the job permanently because of his lack of experience. I get that.

With that in mind, we cannot ignore the current BOT and president of the university. As much as it pains me to write this, I honestly feel the current BOT does not have the athletic departments best interest at heart, nor do I feel the current president does either.

David Padgett might end up the only choice despite his lack of experience or because of it. Just saying.

What made Denny Crum ready for the job at Louisville, him being a HC at a Junior College for a few years!?!?!?

:cool:

How about Coach K? Played for Bobby Knight 3 years. DP played for Self 1 year and Pitino for 3 years. Coach K was an asst for Knight 1 year. Padgett served on Pitino’s staff 2 years. Coach K was HC at Army 5 year’s earning 1 NIT. Padgett served as an asst at IUPUI for 3 years. Padgett also played some professional ball for about two years.

It’s not about the players fellas. They deserved this year to get who they wanted but forward it should be up to the administration who they think will lead us in the long run for years and years down the road. No one said DP cant go back to Assistant or us help him find a mid major HC job unless he wants to stay. But it’s hard for the admin to hand DP the job when you’re going to have plenty of multi-year proven coaches right at the doorstep.

There’s been plenty complaints about Padgett this season. I think we can all agree that we should probably be 15-2 or 16-1. Lack of late game coaching hurt us a few games and cost us. This isnt the only year you’d see that with Padgett. Not saying you wouldnt see it at all with proven coaches but you can’t sit here and tell me Padgett should get it over Mack, Marshall, White, etc. This is still Pitino’s players, system, etc. This year helps to do great but the talent on this roster should be Elite Eight or greater with this years CBB under any proven coach. That’s why I’m not really gauging this years success for DP. Now if the production you see on the court doesnt tell you that we’re elite 8 or better, then that’s where the issue arises. I’m just saying DP needs to learn and get his kinks out at a smaller school because this is an easy Top 7 job and people do want it.

Reactions: BPGhost
There’s been plenty complaints about Padgett this season. I think we can all agree that we should probably be 15-2 or 16-1. Lack of late game coaching hurt us a few games and cost us. This isnt the only year you’d see that with Padgett. Not saying you wouldnt see it at all with proven coaches but you can’t sit here and tell me Padgett should get it over Mack, Marshall, White, etc. This is still Pitino’s players, system, etc. This year helps to do great but the talent on this roster should be Elite Eight or greater with this years CBB under any proven coach. That’s why I’m not really gauging this years success for DP. Now if the production you see on the court doesnt tell you that we’re elite 8 or better, then that’s where the issue arises. I’m just saying DP needs to learn and get his kinks out at a smaller school because this is an easy Top 7 job and people do want it.
Sure I bet there’s a lot of guys who want the job at U of L but how many are actually deserving? I know just rattle off the best coaches in America and they all want to come here.
Mack - he’s lost at Providence, barely beat E. Tenn st., got smoked by Arizona St.
White - lost to Ole Miss, Florida St and Loyola????
Marshall - lost to Oklahoma (no disgrace there), lost to Notre Dame (also not a bad loss) and squeaked by 3 over Tulsa, yeah Tulsa!
Nobody with any self respect would welcome being an assistant after being the interim head coach (unless Pitino himself were welcome back). You talk about these were Pitino’s players. They were also DP’s players. He was a current assistant and knows these players better than anyone right now.

The necessity to name a head coach is going to become apparent over the summer when we have a whopping 0 recruits committed. If we don’t name an HC by the end of February, then we’ll likely end with 0 recruits. That would be catastrophic to the program. I’m all for hiring one of these guys, I don’t see Marshall leaving for U of L because he’s had a grudge against us in the past and bigger opportunities may be coming in the Tar Heel State, and I’m not sure Mack would either because he is a homegrown product at X. We’ll see if we can get one of these guys, but if we have no players it won’t matter who the coach is.

The necessity to name a head coach is going to become apparent over the summer when we have a whopping 0 recruits committed. If we don’t name an HC by the end of February, then we’ll likely end with 0 recruits. That would be catastrophic to the program. I’m all for hiring one of these guys, I don’t see Marshall leaving for U of L because he’s had a grudge against us in the past and bigger opportunities may be coming in the Tar Heel State, and I’m not sure Mack would either because he is a homegrown product at X. We’ll see if we can get one of these guys, but if we have no players it won’t matter who the coach is.
Look it’s not catastrophic unless North Korea decides to launch a nuke at Papa John’s Stadium. By my count and unless we get the death penalty or another post season ban, I see 8 guys coming back and there’s always the opportunity for a talented walkon. As fans, we want to judge CDP by the wins and losses but we don’t have a clue as to what kind of relationship he’s building with the players. Believe me that goes a long way. You’re always going to have some players think they know more than the coach until they learn they don’t.

Look it’s not catastrophic unless North Korea decides to launch a nuke at Papa John’s Stadium. By my count and unless we get the death penalty or another post season ban, I see 8 guys coming back and there’s always the opportunity for a talented walkon. As fans, we want to judge CDP by the wins and losses but we don’t have a clue as to what kind of relationship he’s building with the players. Believe me that goes a long way. You’re always going to have some players think they know more than the coach until they learn they don’t.
4 freshmen, MacMahon, Sutton, King, Ray? If we get all of those guys back I think we’ll be in decent shape, but I am worried that if we don’t get anyone in the 2018 class that there will be a domino effect that involves a lot of transfers. At any rate, I think as long as we return more than 6 of our scholarship players, we can have a respectable season next year if we don’t have any big injuries.

Also a possibility of receiving transfers in future years, including next. Going to be very interesting to see how the roster ends up looking.

4 freshmen, MacMahon, Sutton, King, Ray? If we get all of those guys back I think we’ll be in decent shape, but I am worried that if we don’t get anyone in the 2018 class that there will be a domino effect that involves a lot of transfers. At any rate, I think as long as we return more than 6 of our scholarship players, we can have a respectable season next year if we don’t have any big injuries.
Wasn’t even counting Ray. Steven Enoch. Players can transfer if we get a postseason ban. If we don’t then they are subject to all transfer rules, unless they are a graduate, they have to sit out at least one year. Then they have to find a place where somebody wants them and needs them AND is willing to give them a scholarship. How many guys do you see that could and would do that on this roster. Enoch, Sutton and McMahon have all used up one year of sitting out.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
We have an interim president, interim ad, interim coach and a board that fired TJ and is turning the emphasis to academics. They are also facing potentially huge settlements with RP and TJ, as well as huge losses due to NCAA penalties, and declining attendance. They are not going to spend the money for a premium coach or AD. If this is true, they should go ahead with contracts for the interim guys, so that some sense of normalcy can start, especially with recruiting. Waiting for a coaching search that is handicapped by low dollars puts us years behind where we would be embracing DP and VT right now. Just my take...

What comes first education or NBA? Colleges are for producing scholars and professional men and women. Not pro athletes!

Sure I bet there’s a lot of guys who want the job at U of L but how many are actually deserving? I know just rattle off the best coaches in America and they all want to come here.
Mack - he’s lost at Providence, barely beat E. Tenn st., got smoked by Arizona St.
Marshall - lost to Oklahoma (no disgrace there), lost to Notre Dame (also not a bad loss) and squeaked by 3 over Tulsa, yeah Tulsa!
Nobody with any self respect would welcome being an assistant after being the interim head coach (unless Pitino himself were welcome back). You talk about these were Pitino’s players. They were also DP’s players. He was a current assistant and knows these players better than anyone right now.

Pitino - lost to WKU a few years ago at home, lost to a shitty Providence team by like 30 in one of the FF years. Odd losses/close wins over bad teams, it happens.

That said, I'll be pretty impressed with DP if he goes DP on dat @ss and the Cards win at Notre Dame tonight. I won't be ready to award him the HC job forever, but I'll be pretty damn impressed and I think it puts him in the conversation, or at least keeps him from being excluded by it. I don't expect to win tonight, every year I just write a big L when there's a game in South Bend. It just is what it is.

I think Chris Mack is a great coach. He has a class around 50 recruiting wise, yet makes some nice pushes into the tournament every year. ANd his teams are in a good league. Not saying he's the guy, but he's in the conversation when a permanent coach is considered after this season

Shaka Smart, IMO, is a STAR. His havoc/youth/energy/charisma/caring for his players would be an amazing fit in Louisville. He needs to be in the conversation just like Chris Mack. He's at Texas, and basketball i a footnote there, plus the culture is just weird. He won at VCU, a program that cares about basketball. I don't know how his recruiting classes were but I'm guessing they were no better than Mack's. Just imagine Shaka with a program with passion, facilities, and P5 access.

Last edited:
We have an interim president, interim ad, interim coach and a board that fired TJ and is turning the emphasis to academics. They are also facing potentially huge settlements with RP and TJ, as well as huge losses due to NCAA penalties, and declining attendance. They are not going to spend the money for a premium coach or AD. If this is true, they should go ahead with contracts for the interim guys, so that some sense of normalcy can start, especially with recruiting. Waiting for a coaching search that is handicapped by low dollars puts us years behind where we would be embracing DP and VT right now. Just my take...
The first step is based on what we hear from the NCAA. That will determine what we can and maybe need to do.

Pitino - lost to WKU a few years ago at home, lost to a shitty Providence team by like 30 in one of the FF years. Odd losses/close wins over bad teams, it happens.

That said, I'll be pretty impressed with DP if he goes DP on dat @ss and the Cards win at Notre Dame tonight. I won't be ready to award him the HC job forever, but I'll be pretty damn impressed and I think it puts him in the conversation, or at least keeps him from being excluded by it. I don't expect to win tonight, every year I just write a big L when there's a game in South Bend. It just is what it is.

I think Chris Mack is a great coach. He has a class around 50 recruiting wise, yet makes some nice pushes into the tournament every year. ANd his teams are in a good league. Not saying he's the guy, but he's in the conversation when a permanent coach is considered after this season

Shaka Smart, IMO, is a STAR. His havoc/youth/energy/charisma/caring for his players would be an amazing fit in Louisville. He needs to be in the conversation just like Chris Mack. He's at Texas, and basketball if a footnote there. Plus the culture is just weird there. He won at VCU, a program that cares about basketball. He'd win even more here.
So why doesn’t CDP get a pass because he lost to 4 ranked teams and beat 1?

There’s no doubt that Mack and Shaka are good coaches, but can anyone with certainty say that Louisville are their ultimate destinations? Maybe CDP is not the guy but at least he has close ties to the program and to the City.

I think it was CRP who was in favor of only 1 year contracts for coaches. Make them earn it each year just like scholarships are earned. Why should someone who performs well in another environment get an automatic multi year contract. Either a new coach should have to prove themselves like Padgett is doing or Padgett deserves at least 2 years.

Reactions: American Male
So why doesn’t CDP get a pass because he lost to 4 ranked teams and beat 1?

There’s no doubt that Mack and Shaka are good coaches, but can anyone with certainty say that Louisville are their ultimate destinations? Maybe CDP is not the guy but at least he has close ties to the program and to the City.

I think it was CRP who was in favor of only 1 year contracts for coaches. Make them earn it each year just like scholarships are earned. Why should someone who performs well in another environment get an automatic multi year contract. Either a new coach should have to prove themselves like Padgett is doing or Padgett deserves at least 2 years.

I think I pretty clearly said that CDP at this point should definitely be in the conversation, especially if his team does something no one can do and wins in South Bend. That's like beating the Patriots in Foxborough.

Last edited:
Also a possibility of receiving transfers in future years, including next. Going to be very interesting to see how the roster ends up looking.

If the proposed new transfer rule is approved, I could see some mid-majors looking to move up. The "iffy" status might not matter as most don't expect to make the tourney anyway.
Playing for a major in a power 5 could be very enticing.

Just give him the job for at least another year. Maybe as a “Players coach” he can recruit a few one and dones. At this point we are hamstringing the next guy because 2018 has no actual players committed. That is an impossible case to overcome. We need to name a coach well before the next signing period or we will be playing a bunch of walk-ons out there. Also, we need to start going after a few guys who are a little bit below our typical standards because we just need the bodies. 2018-19 could be a nightmare season if we don’t figure out who the next coach is gonna be and who will be a part of the 2018 recruiting class.

Why would you give anyone the job and put a 1 or 2 year limit on it? Whoever is the next coach be it David or someone else, they need to know the school is behind them for a good amount of time to rebuild program and guide through the rough waters. Hiring someone for 1 year or 2 is more damaging I think...how would they recruit?

Reactions: American Male
I like the adjustments he's made to date,win or lose tonite.The players on this team are becoming a TEAM,instead of just a bunch of players,running about.I believe that reflects on the coach,whether he's here next year or not.

He's here right now and that's ok by me.

I like the adjustments he's made.

Ears I have not been able to view as much this year as in the past - when did DP insert Williams into the starting 5?

It seems the switch has given Williams even more confidence, more of a cemented opportunity to contribute - and more importantly help keep Mahmoud out of foul trouble? He hasn't picked up a 4th foul in ACC play. That probably changes tonight though!

Why would you give anyone the job and put a 1 or 2 year limit on it? Whoever is the next coach be it David or someone else, they need to know the school is behind them for a good amount of time to rebuild program and guide through the rough waters. Hiring someone for 1 year or 2 is more damaging I think...how would they recruit?
OADs don’t care how long a guy will be here past a year. But the best way to do it is give him a 5 year contract with a somewhat short leash. If we miss the NCAAs for 2 consecutive years, then we could look elsewhere.

How about Coach K? Played for Bobby Knight 3 years. DP played for Self 1 year and Pitino for 3 years. Coach K was an asst for Knight 1 year. Padgett served on Pitino’s staff 2 years. Coach K was HC at Army 5 year’s earning 1 NIT. Padgett served as an asst at IUPUI for 3 years. Padgett also played some professional ball for about two years.
I think that if DP becomes a successful HC at a D1 program for 4-5 years, then he could be considered but, shouldn’t be until then.

What I've seen thus far, if it continues, is enough to award DP the job.

A guy performing IN the job gets my vote over a guy somewhere else who MIGHT perform better in the same job. The latter is too speculative and uncertain...
Except he’s coaching guys that were signed by others and there’s absolutely no evidence to suggest that he can get players at the level necessary to succeed in the ACC. Too big a risk unless, no one with any proven results and stature is interested.

They weren’t Padgett’s players except in the most liberal use of the word. They are now but, who is he going to replace them with?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT