ADVERTISEMENT

ICYMI- Rules changes for College, can fair catch inside 25 to get ball on 25

Yes, but a squib has no hang time, so it allows a run back that will rarely pin them deep.

The KO is on the snowflake hit list. Soon there will be no KO. I think that in the compromise we will start on the 20 vs 25.

Yes, but a squib has no hang time, so it allows a run back that will rarely pin them deep.

The KO is on the snowflake hit list. Soon there will be no KO. I think that in the compromise we will start on the 20 vs 25.

Its always a free ball like in an onside kick. So a lot can happen. Pooch kicks that hit the ground are free balls, so I suspect that the receiving teams will have to adjust thier formations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rollem Cards
A lot of players will still choose to run it back. Moat teams kick into the endzone anyhow. Moving the starting spot to the 15 or 20 would make more teams simply kick it into the endzone.

I think if you kick it out of bounds it should be treated like a punt and the receiving team gets the ball there. This would place a premium on a kicker’s skill to go for the “coffin corner” and would also reduce kicking in the end zone, which is boring. There would be fewer returns which would supposedly reduce injuries, though I’m not sure how many injuries really happen on kick offs.

Reactions: wilkie01
reality is, the new studies have found even on touchbacks there are tons of injuries on kickoff, a much higher % than normal plays. lawsuits will eliminate the kickoff as most concussions are occurring on the kickoffs, even if out of the endzone. you'll see each possession simply start at the 25 within 5 years for every level of the sport. the nfl is already talking about it so it's basically a done deal. just too many people running at full speed head on into each other. if watch what goes on away from the ball, dudes get lit up non stop

the problem with the squib is many times is ends of at the 35 or so and doesn't get deep so only technically used for instances to make the clock start running. rarely if ever used as an actual strategy to get the ball deep.

as for allowing kickoffs to be placed where they go out of bounds, well the thought is you put the ball on a tee, have no one rushing at you. put the ball in play if you are a pro. i see the point of just making kickoff's a talent contest of who can get it closer to the endzone but what happens when they suck and the ball actually stays in bounds and all the collisions still occur? just because ball went out of bounds players still have to run the field in case it stays in. nothing solved regretfully but i like the thought

Yes I talked abt this w Bobby several seasons ago.

I think it is dead certain there will be no kickoffs in a few years. The only kicking game left will be punting and field goals.

I think if you kick it out of bounds it should be treated like a punt and the receiving team gets the ball there. This would place a premium on a kicker’s skill to go for the “coffin corner” and would also reduce kicking in the end zone, which is boring. There would be fewer returns which would supposedly reduce injuries, though I’m not sure how many injuries really happen on kick offs.
You would have to stipulate that the ball must first hit in bounds or else they would kick it out of bounds on the fly and the receiving teams would not have a chance to return the kickoff. I think that would be bad for the game. Every team would try to kick the ball out of bounds on the fly inside the 10.

I think any effort to eliminate kickers from football is a good thing. I've never been comfortable with a guy who couldn't make the soccer team being on the football field.

Kickoffs, in my opinion, will never be totally removed from the game. The issue has been injuries and, as someone else posted, there are injuries everywhere on the field during KOs. But there are too much that happens during KOs to totally eliminate them, such as onside kicks and fumbles. I think having a “fair catch” rule inside the 30 yardline that puts the ball, say on the 30, might be what happens. The officials need to be ready to blow their whistles and to throw flags for unnecessary contact if that occurs. The total elimination of injuries will never happen in football . . . Or basketball or baseball or soccer or any other sport that requires running. How about lacrosse where there is considerable physical contact and that goes for soccer also.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

goods, i have to disagree, studies show there are like triple to quadruple the amount of nijuries on kickoffs, even for touchbacks,, where they thought would be less injuries but they have found no impact at all. you have guys running full speed. on punts at least, there is initial block at line and usually hits are blindside hits by the returning team. but as for kickoff, you will see them gone and then for onside kicks, the kicking team will have to declare theyiare doing it so they can line up.

no more surprise element, but play will still exist. otherwise, they are simply going to put the ball on the 25 yard line. no more opening kickoffs to start the game. those will be history in less than five years. the injuries, and thus lawsuits, dictate it. if you keep kickoffs, then every player who gets hurt is going to cite injury studies. even when they moved kickoff line up to there would be more touchbacks, injuries did not change one bit on kickoffs. they still hit each other full speed. trust me, gone on all levels of the sport within five years. nfl is currently discussing removing it. i listen to dan patrick everyday and he's almost always right on what his insiders are telling him and this is the path forward. kickoff is gone

goods, i have to disagree, studies show there are like triple to quadruple the amount of nijuries on kickoffs, even for touchbacks,, where they thought would be less injuries but they have found no impact at all. you have guys running full speed. on punts at least, there is initial block at line and usually hits are blindside hits by the returning team. but as for kickoff, you will see them gone and then for onside kicks, the kicking team will have to declare theyiare doing it so they can line up.

no more surprise element, but play will still exist. otherwise, they are simply going to put the ball on the 25 yard line. no more opening kickoffs to start the game. those will be history in less than five years. the injuries, and thus lawsuits, dictate it. if you keep kickoffs, then every player who gets hurt is going to cite injury studies. even when they moved kickoff line up to there would be more touchbacks, injuries did not change one bit on kickoffs. they still hit each other full speed. trust me, gone on all levels of the sport within five years. nfl is currently discussing removing it. i listen to dan patrick everyday and he's almost always right on what his insiders are telling him and this is the path forward. kickoff is gone

Well hell, when they gonna just start using flags and turn into flag football?

I agree with gocds for what it is worth.

When what you said happens in the NFL....is the day that their popularity and TV/attendance ratings take a dive. Who is gonna wana watch this game turn into a sissy sport?

Never mind, I know the PC folks are redefining gender roles all the time. Just never thought FB would become one of their victims. Can hardly wait for the days when the cheerleaders become ? oriented squads too.:rolleyes::oops::(;):p

reality is, the new studies have found even on touchbacks there are tons of injuries on kickoff, a much higher % than normal plays. lawsuits will eliminate the kickoff as most concussions are occurring on the kickoffs, even if out of the endzone. you'll see each possession simply start at the 25 within 5 years for every level of the sport. the nfl is already talking about it so it's basically a done deal. just too many people running at full speed head on into each other. if watch what goes on away from the ball, dudes get lit up non stop

the problem with the squib is many times is ends of at the 35 or so and doesn't get deep so only technically used for instances to make the clock start running. rarely if ever used as an actual strategy to get the ball deep.

as for allowing kickoffs to be placed where they go out of bounds, well the thought is you put the ball on a tee, have no one rushing at you. put the ball in play if you are a pro. i see the point of just making kickoff's a talent contest of who can get it closer to the endzone but what happens when they suck and the ball actually stays in bounds and all the collisions still occur? just because ball went out of bounds players still have to run the field in case it stays in. nothing solved regretfully but i like the thought

I don't know the science here, but if the injury rate is not the same with punts (presumably that'll still be part of the game, and really hard to think of taking the punt out of FB)...why not just line up in punt formation at midfield for all kickoffs (i.e. no buffer zone to ramp up running speed)...just change the kickoff to a punt off, possibly mandate upright stance for all players for the initial punt and allow for a 10 yard minimum gain for fake punt/onside kick. If there isn't the 10 (20 when we add in the run up for the kicking team) yard buffer, no high speed blindside hits...I'd think.

My point is that there can be creative solutions to modify and make it safer without totally changing the game. The game has to change, it has already and must some more...that's the whole point of looking at how/why/when injuries occur.

When what you said happens in the NFL....is the day that their popularity and TV/attendance ratings take a dive. Who is gonna wana watch this game turn into a sissy sport?
The NFL better take a SERIOUS look at the empty seats at NASCAR events. Those geniuses went PC and tried to "clean up" their sport.

No more bumping and rubbing, no more tinkering (cheating to some) with the cars, no more fighting, no more ENTERTAINMENT. Just a bunch of kids hawking sponsors that keep turning left until a tire or engine blows.

And it is on life support.

Yeah, they tried to skin back some of their restrictions, but too many people (me for one) had found other things to do. So FB better be careful what they wish for, and how they try to achieve it.

The times are changing for everybody.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT