ADVERTISEMENT

"I Thought This Was Going To Be A Rebuilding Year."

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Pitino:I think they've got the makings of being a great team. I really do. I'm going to be very upfront: I thought this was going to be a rebuilding year, even with the additions. This trip has given me renewed hope, because of practice, that it's not going to be. Trey and Damion, Nanu's improvement, Mangok's improvement, the length of our basketball team -- remember, these are professional athletes.

If there was any disappointment in Louisville, it was in the first game. I was disappointed in the performance in that first game.

I was struck by that comment too. RP has been more willing lately to use that rebuilding language. Rebuilding year, bridge year -- who knows the difference? I think this season is get through the regular season's ups and downs the best we can and then just pray in March. Definitely a lower ceiling than last year.

I was struck by that comment too. RP has been more willing lately to use that rebuilding language. Rebuilding year, bridge year -- who knows the difference? I think this season is get through the regular season's ups and downs the best we can and then just pray in March. Definitely a lower ceiling than last year.

We'll miss Trez at PF for sure. But I'm going to wait until later to see how high or low this team's ceiling is. They have seemingly improved in some ways- outside shooting being one- but taken a step back maybe in others.

We looked like a rebuilding team last night.

Agreed. Last night was ugly, but then keep in mind these are experienced professionals or near professionals who wanted to come out and stuff us after staying close the night before. Our guys just have to learn the level they have to play at, night in and night out. They are still learning to play as a team. As ugly as last night was, I saw some good play out of Stockman (yes, Matz!) and Johnson. These kinds of games are necessary to improve us for later on.

I still think we are going to be very good and a very tough out in the NCAAs.

JJ Barrea and Ronaldo Blackman didn't even play last night for the National team.

It is so early but right now just based on what I have heard listening to Paul Rogers, our lineup is:

Onuaku - C
Spaulding - PF
Adel - SF
Lewis - PG
Lee - SG

Onuaku is by default, Mango has not improved offensively
Spaulding has a motor similar to Trez and asst coach Johnson says Spaulding has a bigger wingspan than Trez!
Adel gets the nod only because Snider is uncertain and lacks confidence. He has changed the arc on his shot but now he is thinking too much, which means Lewis needs to play PG. As you can see, that would mean 4 brand new starters even though Lewis and Lee are 5 year seniors. It is going to take a lot of adjustment.
Note: Mitchell is more raw than I expected.

We need Snider, Johnson and Mathiang to step up their games.

Reactions: beasleythecard
We don't have a starting lineup, that seems kind of obvious to me.

It will be fluid all year, it may remain fluid all the way up to the ACC tourney. It may even change in the post season.

Reactions: beasleythecard
JJ Barrea and Ronaldo Blackman didn't even play last night for the National team.

It is so early but right now just based on what I have heard listening to Paul Rogers, our lineup is:

Onuaku - C
Spaulding - PF
Adel - SF
Lewis - PG
Lee - SG

Onuaku is by default, Mango has not improved offensively
Spaulding has a motor similar to Trez and asst coach Johnson says Spaulding has a bigger wingspan than Trez!
Adel gets the nod only because Snider is uncertain and lacks confidence. He has changed the arc on his shot but now he is thinking too much, which means Lewis needs to play PG. As you can see, that would mean 4 brand new starters even though Lewis and Lee are 5 year seniors. It is going to take a lot of adjustment.
Note: Mitchell is more raw than I expected.

We need Snider, Johnson and Mathiang to step up their games.
I like your starting five for now, but remember they have a lot more to learn between now and december.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT