ADVERTISEMENT

I think Lamar should stay........

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
Before the game he's only projected as the #7 QB in a very heavy QB class. His passing has been the question about him all along. He's only adding to the questions about his passing today.

7-17 2tds and 2 int as I type this.

Reactions: Vestavia57
He needs to go and get professional QB coaching. I think it is obvious he needs really doesn't understand how to maintain his mechanics when he feels pressure. Unfortunately for him this game highlighted his weaknesses. He was really off today with his accuracy.

He is tremendous competitor and has a great upside.

You mean his current QB coach Saint Nick and CBP aren't good enough?

Actually I think they have done a terrific job with Lamar. He has improved each year under their coaching. With that said he has needs be trained by the best.

Reactions: Mayoman
Fantastic college athlete.
Just from the outside looking:
May need to be a receiver for Sunday play.
However, with the right team and a true pro offensive line protecting him, could turn into a fine quarterback.

Would one more year in college help him develop?
Or would one more year increase his chances of injury?
For your teams benefit, best he stays.
For his benefit, I believe best he goes.

He needs to go and get professional QB coaching. I think it is obvious he needs really doesn't understand how to maintain his mechanics when he feels pressure. Unfortunately for him this game highlighted his weaknesses. He was really off today with his accuracy.

He is tremendous competitor and has a great upside.

I love this statement. “He needs to go and get professional QB coaching”. I wonder how much more he would have improved under a QB coach with Brohm’s type of experience. Hard to tell since our O-line has sucked for two years.

Last edited:
Lamar's athleticism is so far and beyond his competition that he relies on his athleticism to defeat his foes, today being a rare exception of a bad day.

That being said, I think the best thing for Lamar is to get drafted by an NFL that already has a starting QB. Learn at that level, practice at that level, develop behind the scenes at that level. He could come back another year, and sure he'd probably develop a little more, but he'd miss a whole year of salary and put his future at risk due to injury. The worst thing for him would be to be drafted in the 1st round by a Browns, Bengals, whatever and get thrown into the fire because at the NFL level EVERYONE is athletic, fast, and smart.

Personally, I think the Jackson/Petrino combo has been less than ideal in this initial UofL foray in the read option offense. Petrino has never run this type offense before Jackson came along. I guess you could make the argument that Petrino hasn't adapted his scheme to best capitalize on LJ's skill set, OR, you could make the argument that Jackson hasn't developed well enough to efficiently run Petrino's read option offense to score against the country's tougher defenses. Either way, I think it has been an "underachieving" pairing. I would compare it to Michael Jordan's early years with the Bulls without MJ trusting and using his supporting cast or Phil Jackson's coaching and offense. Jordan was the scoring champion, but little else. LJ doesn't seem to trust his supporting cast at times, which results him calling his own number too often, and trying to do it all himself, with often brilliant results, but also sometimes disasterous results against tougher defenses (see today). I actually think Louisville's offense would be more consistent and potent with a more traditional Petrino-esque pro style pocket passer, with some mobility. I think Juwan Pass can and will be that guy. We've got many really good offensive weapons (WRs, TEs, & RBs) who aren't being given the ball often enough or in position to show their skills. I LOVE Lamar Jackson, and what he has done for and given our program, but I just don't think this has been the best match for either Jackson or Petrino. I look forward to going back to the pro style Petrino offense spreading the ball around. JMO.

I think Lamar has to go. As far as I’m concerned Bobby should have ended Lamar’s career after the 76 yard run and score (On a high note). Pass should have played the entire second half. Win lose or draw. As it turns out we lost anyway. Pass could have used the snaps

Last edited:
I think Lamar has to go. As far as I’m concerned Bobby should have ended Lamar’s career after the 76 yard run and score (On a high note). Pass should have played the entire second half. Win lose or draw. As it turns out what we lost anyway. Pass could heave used the snaps

I think Lamar has to go. As far as I’m concerned Bobby should have ended Lamar’s career after the 76 yard run and score (On a high note). Pass should have played the entire second half. Win lose or draw. As it turns out we lost anyway. Pass could heave used the snaps

Well sure that sounds great now that we know the result of the game. But going into it, the approach you suggest, no way. They play to win the game, and you don't bench your Heisman QB in the Gator Bowl just to get your QB of the future snaps. Think about what you are saying.

However, with the right team and a true pro offensive line protecting him, could turn into a fine quarterback.

Respectfully what would make him a good receiver? He has never played the position. Everyone says he’d be a great receiver, but can he catch a pass? He may have awful hands. I’d say his biggest impact in the league would be as a wildcat type player that gets the ball on special occasions. Everyone knows he can run, but the WR speculation is kinda just a stereotype of an athletic QB. As a starting QB he can not play Year 1 in the nfl and be successful. He has to sit and learn for at least 1 year. Ideally 2 years would be a good balance of getting him in the game while he’s young, but also well prepared. That’s why I think New Orleans would be ideal for him.

Personally, I think the Jackson/Petrino combo has been less than ideal in this initial UofL foray in the read option offense. Petrino has never run this type offense before Jackson came along. I guess you could make the argument that Petrino hasn't adapted his scheme to best capitalize on LJ's skill set, OR, you could make the argument that Jackson hasn't developed well enough to efficiently run Petrino's read option offense to score against the country's tougher defenses. Either way, I think it has been an "underachieving" pairing. I would compare it to Michael Jordan's early years with the Bulls without MJ trusting and using his supporting cast or Phil Jackson's coaching and offense. Jordan was the scoring champion, but little else. LJ doesn't seem to trust his supporting cast at times, which results him calling his own number too often, and trying to do it all himself, with often brilliant results, but also sometimes disasterous results against tougher defenses (see today). I actually think Louisville's offense would be more consistent and potent with a more traditional Petrino-esque pro style pocket passer, with some mobility. I think Juwan Pass can and will be that guy. We've got many really good offensive weapons (WRs, TEs, & RBs) who aren't being given the ball often enough or in position to show their skills. I LOVE Lamar Jackson, and what he has done for and given our program, but I just don't think this has been the best match for either Jackson or Petrino. I look forward to going back to the pro style Petrino offense spreading the ball around. JMO.

Well said

Respectfully what would make him a good receiver? He has never played the position. Everyone says he’d be a great receiver, but can he catch a pass? He may have awful hands. I’d say his biggest impact in the league would be as a wildcat type player that gets the ball on special occasions. Everyone knows he can run, but the WR speculation is kinda just a stereotype of an athletic QB. As a starting QB he can not play Year 1 in the nfl and be successful. He has to sit and learn for at least 1 year. Ideally 2 years would be a good balance of getting him in the game while he’s young, but also well prepared. That’s why I think New Orleans would be ideal for him.
All great points. Truth is I don't know. I agree the best thing he could do would go to a solid team and understudy to a pro that was willing to teach. I believe Drew B. Would do that. I also think Rivers would. I have seen several QBs ride behind Brady and go on to have some solid games with other teams.
He's mighty good. So are most NFL defenders. A year to learn, get stronger would never hurt.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
NFL scouts will look at everything one being did he make winning plays at the end of games. NFL games and for that matter college games come down to making plays late in games. Lamar is a great competitor. Lamar doesn't make winning plays late in games against the better teams. The list is pretty long and to be honest I wouldn't spend a high pick on him for this reason alone.

In tight games as a QB he was 3-6 when driving for game winning TD. This is mainly because of his inconsistency in throwing the ball. Late game situations basically eliminates his ability to run.

There is no margin for error in the NFL. His misses yesterday were about as bad as I have seen and they weren't only the picks.

He really does have a tough decision, because he could really drop to 2nd or 3rd round. He is to much of a risk in the 1st round, maybe late. His throwing numbers against the legit defenses aren't very good.

Just for clarification for some: Jackson has said that he's going to the NFL to play QB. He's never played another position, doesn't want to play another position and will never play another position. He's said it repeatedly, with the most recent being at the Heisman ceremony this year.

He's been like this for a long time. He's publicly said MANY times that the reason he chose UofL over "bigger" schools was Petrino told him he wanted him as a QB and nothing else. No other school was offering that.

With that being said, the bulk of the line is back next year and there's a lot of young talent there, 2 true freshman starters this year. They will be better. Dae Williams and Colin Wilson back next year. (Wilson will be a stud). And pretty much the whole receiving corps will be back. If he wants to showcase his passing as being greatly improved, he should have the supporting cast to do it next season.

All great points. Truth is I don't know. I agree the best thing he could do would go to a solid team and understudy to a pro that was willing to teach. I believe Drew B. Would do that. I also think Rivers would. I have seen several QBs ride behind Brady and go on to have some solid games with other teams.
He's mighty good. So are most NFL defenders. A year to learn, get stronger would never hurt.

1. He should go
2. Would like to see him in a situation with a established QB like New Orleans, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Los Angeles Chargers or New England...sit and learn...

He needs to go.

He has nothing left to prove and he deserves to live out his dream on being in the NFL. We were extremely lucky to experience such a great talent, trying to keep him here by arguing why he should stay is just being selfish.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
He needs to go.

He has nothing left to prove and he deserves to live out his dream on being in the NFL. We were extremely lucky to experience such a great talent, trying to keep him here by arguing why he should stay is just being selfish.

Exactly!!

Very difficult question with good points on both sides. I don’t envy Lamar this weekend making a life altering decision. Whatever he chooses, thanks Lamar, and good luck. Don’t forget to get your degree, either next year or in the future. It’s important.

He needs to go because we've done a poor job building the team around him. We went from being on the brink of the CFP with mostly Charlie Strong guys to losing to a middle of pack SEC team with a backup QB.

I always feel Lamar thinks he has to do too much. As a result he turns it over too much.

I'd have to agree with your assessment. I believe this game substantially reduced his chance of being drafted as a QB. He's a great athlete and appears to be good guy. He should switch to wide receiver to enhance his opportunity to get drafted for the plays he can make after catching the ball.

It has already been made clear to the NFL teams that he will only play QB and if they have any designs other then QB don't waste their time. It may drop him in the draft, but that's the word.

It has already been made clear to the NFL teams that he will only play QB and if they have any designs other then QB don't waste their time. It may drop him in the draft, but that's the word.
If he actually told the NFL teams that, it could well. Even if QB was the plan, most NFL franchises don't care to be told what they're gonna do by their future employees.

It really all depends on team need at draft time.

I think Lamar has to go. As far as I’m concerned Bobby should have ended Lamar’s career after the 76 yard run and score (On a high note). Pass should have played the entire second half. Win lose or draw. As it turns out we lost anyway. Pass could heave used the snaps
Out of fairness to LJ, he decided he wanted to play the game for the team unlike others. By making that decision, you let him play. Most fans don’t understand what it means to be an athlete. You’re there to play the game, not watch someone else play. Letting Pass play a half or quarter guarantees what for next year? Nothing. Spring practice will prove if he’s ready, not the last half of a meaningless bowl game. Hell, he could have suffered a serious injury with our offensive line just as likely as LJ. What about LJ’s family? They go to the bowl game to watch him play a half. Our fans who paid airline tickets, hotel, etc. NFL scouts?

I'd have to agree with your assessment. I believe this game substantially reduced his chance of being drafted as a QB. He's a great athlete and appears to be good guy. He should switch to wide receiver to enhance his opportunity to get drafted for the plays he can make after catching the ball.

Uh....he isn’t the first QB to have a horrific Bowl game...they will go by his body of work...his entire film...NFL Combine...The Whiteboard and interview Process..his physical and measurements...background check.

If they went by Bowl Game performance only ...Derek Carr would not have been drafted until the 5th Round.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
If he actually told the NFL teams that, it could well. Even if QB was the plan, most NFL franchises don't care to be told what they're gonna do by their future employees.

It really all depends on team need at draft time.

The player has the final say. Signed, Tim Tebow

Out of fairness to LJ, he decided he wanted to play the game for the team unlike others. By making that decision, you let him play. Most fans don’t understand what it means to be an athlete. You’re there to play the game, not watch someone else play. Letting Pass play a half or quarter guarantees what for next year? Nothing. Spring practice will prove if he’s ready, not the last half of a meaningless bowl game. Hell, he could have suffered a serious injury with our offensive line just as likely as LJ. What about LJ’s family? They go to the bowl game to watch him play a half. Our fans who paid airline tickets, hotel, etc. NFL scouts?

By your logic LJ could have suffered an injury, which at this point would have been way more devastating then Pass being injured. I understand exactly what it is to want to play, but sometimes by not playing you’re benefiting the team. The game was meaningless in reality. So for Pass to play the second half wouldn’t have hurt anyone. And what does he gain? Well anyone that has played sports would realize (And I’m sure you do) nothing is a substitute for real game experience, which Pass got very little time at this year. All we have to do is look back to Brohm and see the benefits of that. Will have to agree to disagree.

And to make sure I’m not misunderstood. I commend LJ for wanting to play. I think any real competitor would want too.

By your logic LJ could have suffered an injury, which at this point would have been way more devastating then Pass being injured. I understand exactly what it is to want to play, but sometimes by not playing you’re benefiting the team. The game was meaningless in reality. So for Pass to play the second half wouldn’t have hurt anyone. And what does he gain? Well anyone that has played sports would realize (And I’m sure you do) nothing is a substitute for real game experience, which Pass got very little time at this year. All we have to do is look back to Brohm and see the benefits of that. Will have to agree to disagree.
I agree with this but that is just one of the differences between younger Bobby and new Bobby. He played Brohm at least one series every game to get his experience. Why? Because he was a hometown hero and fans, no matter how good Stefan was, wanted Brohm to play. Bobby should have found a way to get Pass on the field but the new Bobby catered to LJ’s drive for a repeat Heisman. As a player that’s the coach you want but maybe Bobby lost focus on the future. As it turned out the bowl game was not meaningless from the perspective that we now have the same questions about the defense. If we had lost but our defense played ok, it’s a different story. Maybe Bobby’s plan was to play Pass but then he realized, he owed it to the team to try and win?

This is a really tough call for Jackson, if he is dead set on being a QB. The first domino that needs to fall is what all the Junior college QB's decide. The second is where are the NFL scouts grading him as a QB. The third which teams will commit to him strictly as a QB? The last thing he needs to do is go in the draft and get drafted by a team that isn't 100% behind as a QB.

While improving his mechanics is important part of improving accuracy the real improvement is on the mental side of the game. He would definitely get that physical type of training at the NFL level. The question is would he get the kind of experience needed to improve his accuracy by improving reading defenses, anticipating throws, and moving the defenses with his eyes. Lamar makes special plays with his feet, Teddy made spectacular plays with his arm. The balls Teddy would put on the money were ridiculous, just like the runs Lamar has had.

The number 1 thing he will get coming back is more live action against a really good schedule which is really what he needs. He needs to learn how to move in the pocket without leaving the pocket. He did that a few times this year but his instincts are to run. He won't get that holding a clip board in the NFL.

He is still really young. It will be interesting to see what he does but I don't think this is an easy decision for him or his group. If both Juniors come out next years draft of QB isn't great.

LJ will sell tickets. People love a freak show. That being said, and I've said it before, if he comes out, and he should, the show he will put on at the combine will drop jaws. He has some issues. What young QB doesn't? Put him with the right team, the right coach, the right situation, he'll be a star. He's a human highlight reel.

Reactions: Cue Card
I agree with this but that is just one of the differences between younger Bobby and new Bobby. He played Brohm at least one series every game to get his experience. Why? Because he was a hometown hero and fans, no matter how good Stefan was, wanted Brohm to play. Bobby should have found a way to get Pass on the field but the new Bobby catered to LJ’s drive for a repeat Heisman. As a player that’s the coach you want but maybe Bobby lost focus on the future. As it turned out the bowl game was not meaningless from the perspective that we now have the same questions about the defense. If we had lost but our defense played ok, it’s a different story. Maybe Bobby’s plan was to play Pass but then he realized, he owed it to the team to try and win?
Maybe Brohm was more ready to play than Pass. LJ gave us the best chance to win. That's why he took all the snaps. Period.

Maybe Brohm was more ready to play than Pass. LJ gave us the best chance to win. That's why he took all the snaps. Period.
Combine that with Lefors (though quite good) not being a Heisman caliber QB and you have your answer but, I do think there’s validity to the assertion that BP was trying to get LJ a 2nd Heisman trophy.

This is a really tough call for Jackson, if he is dead set on being a QB. The first domino that needs to fall is what all the Junior college QB's decide. The second is where are the NFL scouts grading him as a QB. The third which teams will commit to him strictly as a QB? The last thing he needs to do is go in the draft and get drafted by a team that isn't 100% behind as a QB.

While improving his mechanics is important part of improving accuracy the real improvement is on the mental side of the game. He would definitely get that physical type of training at the NFL level. The question is would he get the kind of experience needed to improve his accuracy by improving reading defenses, anticipating throws, and moving the defenses with his eyes. Lamar makes special plays with his feet, Teddy made spectacular plays with his arm. The balls Teddy would put on the money were ridiculous, just like the runs Lamar has had.

The number 1 thing he will get coming back is more live action against a really good schedule which is really what he needs. He needs to learn how to move in the pocket without leaving the pocket. He did that a few times this year but his instincts are to run. He won't get that holding a clip board in the NFL.

He is still really young. It will be interesting to see what he does but I don't think this is an easy decision for him or his group. If both Juniors come out next years draft of QB isn't great.
My concern is that it appears all the pundits were looking for ways to push LJ down the QB selection chart before the MSU game, and the game certainly didn't help LJ. I would hope the pro selectors would be more objective than the pundits, but look at what a nail biter TB's selection was. MSU was usually rushing only 4 and dropping back 7. Even doing that, LJ was always under pressure. Also, as usual, we had no running game, so LJ had to everything.
If he comes back next year, I'm not comfortable the CBP will make things any better for him. That is why I feel he needs to drop his QB or nothing stand for the draft or he might be passed by regardless of his potential.

Well, he's made his decision. One of the most exciting players I've ever seen in college ball. He is going to be a healthy and wealthy young man soon enough.
Best of luck to him.

ADVERTISEMENT