ADVERTISEMENT

I see the NBA to Louisville movement is running smoothly.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
http://www.wdrb.com/story/38476101/...e-resigns-from-investment-group-he-co-founded
tenor.gif

It's running as well as I want it to be.

Although the local politicians, downtown hacks, and LAA will keep trying. Count on it...

Pro soccer team would be waaaaayyyy cooler, even a hockey team. Who watches the NBA round here ?
I think there's a market for the basketball, but I think that soccer market is growing much faster. I'm warming up to it my damn self.

There is bound to be more to come on the unraveling of the NBA to Louisville group and it will only get uglier.

There is bound to be more to come on the unraveling of the NBA to Louisville group and it will only get uglier.

And that’s just fine and dandy with me. Plus I heard that there will be a “groundbreaking” on the new soccer facility this coming Thursday, the 28th. Good news for the soccer crowd.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I oppose all pro sports in Louisville.

ALL ...
With you on that 100%. But, especially the NBA. Some in the community want to criticize Jurich for not being a team/community player.
He did his job and always had UofL’s best interests in his decisions.

As great of an AD as Jurich was it may be that being a team/community player on the YUM Center (and not Kragthorpe) that could actually be his biggest mistake as our AD. Why? Because I’m not sure he wasn’t misled, lied to, and outsmarted on this the arena deal. I think the powers-to-be (Jim Host, etc.) knew what they wanted from the get go.

Not only could an NBA team be detrimental to UofL basketball but the fact that they were probably 100% deceitful in negotiations makes me pull for Seattle, Kansas City, Mexico City, Nashville, Cincinnati and every other place that may want a team. I wish them all well.

I’m sick of the new NBAtoLou organization, Dan Issel, J.Bruce Miller, and all the local media who blow hard this issue 24-7. Screw the NBA.

What’s wrong with the Louisville Bats or Lou City FC?

I do agree with this comment. Professional sports are just fine so long as they are able to be supported by our community. Professional sports should always be a part of the quality of life in a community, not an embarrassment. That is one of my fears of an NBA team plus the competition for “entertainment dollars” with UofL. So in answer there is, in my opinion, nothing wrong with the Bats or LCFC.

Reactions: earsky
What’s wrong with the Louisville Bats or Lou City FC?
The opinion I expressed is fundamental, but few things are B&W... I oppose major league sports in Louisville the most because they're the biggest threat. Minor league teams are less of a threat.

But at some level, they ALL compete with U of L for recreational dollars. Even if it's one corporate account that decides Louisville Bats season tickets over U of L season tickets.

And it has nothing nothing to do with how well they coexist or who got here first, e.g., Louisville was home to pro baseball long before U of L baseball rose to prominence. It's all about supporting U of L sports.

This is the mindset that Jurich was accused of, directly or implicitly, in the recent newspaper article. That account was to some degree true IMO although he would have never conceded that publicly. I think that is the way he operated--again fundamentally--and unquestionably with great success.

I've also said this before and stand behind it... Although the world isn't B&W, I'm not a big believer that it's easy to be half pregnant. If you say you're a huge U of L fan and you support Louisville FC or NBA2LOU, those priorities don't completely match up. You're a bigger supporter of the Louisville community and less so of U of L than you admit. That's fine, just acknowledge it.

What I've described, however, doesn't mean you're anti-community. U of L growing and max-ing out that growth are never gonna be anti-Louisville. It only means the power is concentrated in the hands of someone like Jurich. As long as it's someone of that competency, the risks are less and the benefits greater...

Reactions: Law007
One of the things I love about the city of Louisville is that we aren’t a one trick pony. I’d hate if we were strictly a college town. You can have your Starkville’s, Tallahassee’s, Morgantown’s, etc. I love being in a place with options. Quite frankly, I think that our eclectic mix of opportunities helps attract and retain great coaches. I think when the city thrives, UofL benefits as well and vice versa.

Reactions: gocds
[one trick horse or 2 trick pony ,the NBA schedule priority will comprise Louisville's bb schedule for good dates as well as scion off sports dollars spent on the university and its vendors ( who benefit form Louisville sales)
Only if the NBA picks up the majority of Louisville rent obligation to YUM can I see any advantage for a NBA team to the university. THE NBA may help the city coffers but not the university coffers

Also what kind of team will be in Louisville a "new" team that will have a losing record for years and take time to build up or a team not doing well in another city and also have a losing non playoff record. Basketball and Louisville should left to the University. Finally look at the NBA sponsors, KY univ hand maids .

One of the things I love about the city of Louisville is that we aren’t a one trick pony. I’d hate if we were strictly a college town. You can have your Starkville’s, Tallahassee’s, Morgantown’s, etc. I love being in a place with options. Quite frankly, I think that our eclectic mix of opportunities helps attract and retain great coaches. I think when the city thrives, UofL benefits as well and vice versa.
You have plenty of options right in Louisville. They just don't include pro sports at the major level. And IMO that's fine since you have Cincy, Indy, and Nashville all within short drives. Finally, if you just HAVE TO see that in your own community, you live in a free country--pull up stakes and move a short drive away.

Despite what you're led to believe, those aren't better towns than Louisville. They're just a little bigger and with pro sports. I think having a unique identity is desirable. There's nothing wrong with being the "best college sports town in America". A vision keeps you focused and not mixing up your priorities. There's plenty here to keep most people happy...

Last edited:
You have plenty of options right in Louisville. They just don't include pro sports at the major level. And IMO that's fine since you have Cincy, Indy, and Nashville all within short drives. Finally, if you just HAVE TO see that in your own community, you live in a free country--pull up stakes and move a short drive away.

Despite what you're led to believe, those aren't better towns than Louisville. They're just a little bigger and with pro sports. I think having a unique identity is desirable. There's nothing wrong with being the "best college sports town in America". A vision keeps you focused and not mixing up your priorities. There's plenty here to keep most people happy...
Agree 100%. I think it’s time that Bob Valvano, Mayor Fisher, Bozo, Eric Crawford, J. Bruce, and toothless Dan picked up stakes and sold their BS in Kansas City.

I didn’t say that having a major league team establishes city supremacy or not. Other than the Reds, I watch very little major league sports. However I think it is important that a city have a nice variety of options, including professional level teams. I’ve lived in several major cities and a few not so major cities. I’ll take Louisville over any of them. That being said, I never want Louisville to be strictly a college sports town.

I didn’t say that having a major league team establishes city supremacy or not. Other than the Reds, I watch very little major league sports. However I think it is important that a city have a nice variety of options, including professional level teams. I’ve lived in several major cities and a few not so major cities. I’ll take Louisville over any of them. That being said, I never want Louisville to be strictly a college sports town.
Louisville isn't strictly anything... But in sports, it is predominantly a college town. And that should be what we strive to be the most and the best. It's who we are.

When you get lost is when you try to be someone/something you're not. You make bad decisions...

I oppose all pro sports in Louisville.

ALL ...
With you on that 100%. But, especially the NBA. Some in the community want to criticize Jurich for not being a team/community player.
He did his job and always had UofL’s best interests in his decisions.

As great of an AD as Jurich was it may be that being a team/community player on the YUM Center (and not Kragthorpe) that could actually be his biggest mistake as our AD. Why? Because I’m not sure he wasn’t misled, lied to, and outsmarted on this the arena deal. I think the powers-to-be (Jim Host, etc.) knew what they wanted from the get go.

Not only could an NBA team be detrimental to UofL basketball but the fact that they were probably 100% deceitful in negotiations makes me pull for Seattle, Kansas City, Mexico City, Nashville, Cincinnati and every other place that may want a team. I wish them all well.

I’m sick of the new NBAtoLou organization, Dan Issel, J.Bruce Miller, and all the local media who blow hard this issue 24-7. Screw the NBA.

On the contrary. You are half correct. Jurich, Ramsey were pressured into going along with building the arena downtown. It wasn’t Jurich and Ramsey who got out smarted, it was Host, Miller and the State. Jurich and UofL agreed as long as the they got scheduling rights. The ironclad contract Jurich agreed to killed the NBA to Louisville plans of yanking the YUM from UofL. They knew without a new arena they would never get a NBA team here, but they didn’t figure UofL out stepping them with the contract.

And that is why Jurich had to be removed. As long as TJ was here they never would get an NBA team into the Yum. And although they have a better shot I still don’t think VT and our new President will cave. Plus I just don’t think the NBA sees us as a viable market no matter what Dan Issel and all the media people want.

And now that the little coalition is having issues it’s even less likely. I don’t know how anyone that supports UofL could possibly think an NBA team here would be good.

But if it happens maybe we become a FB centered school.

Reactions: zipp
First, I agree. But I think at some point, you'll hear Tyra say he endorses the NBA initiative. Not sure what that means exactly, but that will be his position...

First, I agree. But I think at some point, you'll hear Tyra say he endorses the NBA initiative. Not sure what that means exactly, but that will be his position...

You maybe right, but I hope that he shows his loyalty and backs UofLs interest. We will see.

I am not so confident that Tyra wouldn’t support an NBA team like I have said many times he was appointed to his job. He got the job for other reasons than his qualifications, time will show us what it was.

Reactions: Law007

I don’t agree zipp. I give VT more credit than you do. If he were, indeed, to come out in support of an NBA franchise in Louisville, he would lose the support of a vast majority of UofL’s fan base and, therefore, his position as athletic director. Whether he lost his job in reality or effectively, he would still be persona non grata (sp). Just my opinion. Vince reacted in the way most UofL fans wanted him to in the CDM to Mississippi State situation and I think he did so because he “likes” his job and wanted to gain further support with the fanbase. He ain’t no idiot.

tyra is dog excrement..period. Odd how no one (blowsh!t, crapford etc.) hasn't/wont ask him his position on a nba ----chise to Louisville. The uk scumbag is a plant and I can't wait to see him squirm. ANY pro team here would hurt UofL.

He may very well support the NBA but that remains to be seen. I personally don’t think it will matter because I think the NBA to Louisville is a pipe dream and it won’t happen.

Second, we could have done far worse than VT. Anyone else that board brought in would have been beholden to them and no telling how south this could have gone. For one I doubt we get Mack because VT had to fight Grissom to make that happen. VT carries the family name and reputation and he has the ability to push back when a outsider would not. I think you are underestimating VT. And don’t understand how south this really could have gone.

Look I wish TJ was still here, but he’s not and won’t be again. So IMO we got a solution that works for now. He’s managed to keep all the top coaches they must see things differently than you. And if they thought he was doggy you know what they would have bailed when they had a chance, but didn’t.

...we could have done far worse than VT. Anyone else that board brought in would have been beholden to them and no telling how south this could have gone...
That's damning Tyra with faint praise. Not exactly the standard I want in an AD...

I don’t agree zipp. I give VT more credit than you do. If he were, indeed, to come out in support of an NBA franchise in Louisville, he would lose the support of a vast majority of UofL’s fan base and, therefore, his position as athletic director. Whether he lost his job in reality or effectively, he would still be persona non grata (sp). Just my opinion...
I've said before, you're a good gauge on Tyra. Fortunately, this is also a situation where I don't believe we will have to keep guessing. On this issue, Tyra will have to eventually go on record as U of L AD...

As a resident of Cincinnati, I've got to agree with Zipp. The pro sports is one of the reasons UL is in the ACC and U of Cincinnati is not, and the population of Greater Cincinnati is twice the size of Greater Louisville. The Bearcats will always be second banana to the Reds, Bengals, and now the new soccer team. It will always be second banana to OSU in the state of Ohio. Pro sports in Louisville is no help to the Cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: CardX
As a resident of Cincinnati, I've got to agree with Zipp. The pro sports is one of the reasons UL is in the ACC and U of Cincinnati is not, and the population of Greater Cincinnati is twice the size of Greater Louisville. The Bearcats will always be second banana to the Reds, Bengals, and now the new soccer team. It will always be second banana to OSU in the state of Ohio. Pro sports in Louisville is no help to the Cards.

I don’t know if any adverse effects that the Columbus Bluejackets or the Columbus Crew have had on OSU sports.

Reactions: CardVille
I don’t know if any adverse effects that the Columbus Bluejackets or the Columbus Crew have had on OSU sports.
There are several ways to respond to this example...
  • Hockey and soccer are not (yet) major college sports.
  • Ohio State is tOSU and isn't fighting anyone for priority, certainly not in Columbus.
  • The last ranking I can find (2016) shows Ohio State ranked third nationally in athletics revenues.
  • You ain't Ohio State--never will be in all likelihood--and you're probably falling further behind.
In the 2016 USA Today ranking, Louisville's finances were between the Universities of Iowa and Nebraska. Those are programs and regions to better gauge competition...

There are several ways to respond to this example...
  • Hockey and soccer are not (yet) major college sports.
  • Ohio State is tOSU and isn't fighting anyone for priority, certainly not in Columbus.
  • The last ranking I can find (2016) shows Ohio State ranked third nationally in athletics revenues.
  • You ain't Ohio State--never will be in all likelihood--and you're probably falling further behind.
In the 2016 USA Today ranking, Louisville's finances were between the Universities of Iowa and Nebraska. Those are programs and regions to better gauge competition...

I think you are looking at this from a small time mentality. One way for UofL to increase its revenue is for the profile of the city to increase. Other entertainment options, including diverse professional sports help achieve that goal. I see no data points that show that the city of Columbus or Ohio St suffered because of those major league teams. The city of Columbus was able to increase the pie, which was beneficial for the city and the university.

I think you are looking at this from a small time mentality. One way for UofL to increase its revenue is for the profile of the city to increase. Other entertainment options, including diverse professional sports help achieve that goal. I see no data points that show that the city of Columbus or Ohio St suffered because of those major league teams. The city of Columbus was able to increase the pie, which was beneficial for the city and the university.
You're looking at THE Ohio State University in the State's capital with, what, a hundred years head start on those franchises. And a Top Five athletics budget nationally. Very little does that program compare to U of L's, and you won't find anyone else making that comparison.

All of that said, I'll guarantee you there is SOME support for their pro sports that comes at tOSU's expense. No, I don't have data, I simply believe in never saying "never". The only question about that cannibalization is if you care. Ohio State doesn't because the issue is nowhere on their radar. It's like the elephant worrying about the ant.

Let Ohio State athletics become mismanaged for a long period of time, and let pro sports in Columbus and in the rest of Ohio grow unabated. Them come back and talk to me about how Ohio State views the landscape.

I love the "small time mentality" argument that eventually comes up in this discussion. I could just as easily flip it around and accuse the other side of a "sucker's mentality". Pro sports ain't showing up in Louisville because it benefits you. It's likely to not even benefit you at all...

...we could have done far worse than VT. Anyone else that board brought in would have been beholden to them and no telling how south this could have gone...
That's damning Tyra with faint praise. Not exactly the standard I want in an AD...

Faint praise hardly. He’s done exactly what he needed to so far. We could have ended up with someone that wouldn’t challenge Grissom and who knows who we end up as our head B.B. coach. And we lose DM and JW and now we’re talking compounded issues. He has kept the ship afloat and moving forward. We could have ended up with someone who wanted to recreate the program and that was very likely. This was an unfortunate situation that was created by individuals in our BB program that put themselves first and it was going to end badly sooner or later. As far as VT he’s made it as smooth a landing as possible so far. And the minimum may seem insignificant but it was far from that. Now he needs to work on bringing the big time donors back and we’re right back on track. I think if Grissom would resign that would help in that endeavor.

Do I have concerns yep, but I would have concerns with anyone not named TJ. He’s darn near irreplaceable.

I'm curious then, how is Tyra not "beholden" to the BoT? What has he done so far where he's thumbed his nose at management, THIS Board? And how can Tyra do that in reality and keep his job? What are his unique skills to pull that off when another person couldn't?

I understand the desire to "move on" as people say and remain optimistic. How is that much different from seeing what you wanna see, which is just some form of delusion? You can believe Tyra handled this or that well--I gave him props for retaining McDonnell against a legit threat. But it's way too early IMO to be forming any fundamental conclusions about Tyra.

Rumor has it that Pitino was not the number one target of Bevin and the NBA supporters that are donating to his presidential ambitions. Their number one target was Jurich. Time will tell.

Reactions: zipp
Rumor has it that Pitino was not the number one target of Bevin and the NBA supporters that are donating to his presidential ambitions. Their number one target was Jurich. Time will tell.

Bevin's next likely ambition is unseating Mitch McConnell. The NBA supporters that donate to his cause are also trustees on UofL's board. Getting rid of Jurich was two fold. He had too much power that didn't gel with new regime, and he resisted the NBA. So, everyone keep in mind the people in power at UofL, who are supposed to have UofL's best interests in mind, are supporters of the NBA to Louisville, in order to fatten their own wallets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT