ADVERTISEMENT

I Respect Brohm's Decision, But I Believe He Has Just Made The Worst Decision Of His Life

He was obviously referring to your current hatred of UofL
Thanks for clarifying. I looked for beano at the women's basketball game last nite but don't recall seeing him. There was a bunch of us "haters" there... :p

Your post is a perfect example of why Purdue fans just don't get it and will never get it. It's also a great example of why Brohm has just made a huge mistake.

To you all he's just another coach. Even if he becomes a great coach at Purdue, he'll still just be a coach. To us, he is family. This definitely feels like a family member letting you down when you needed them the most.
Attached is an interview you need to listen to. Especially listen at the end. He was/is torn because his family is still in Louisville.
http://www.espnlouisville.com/the-deener-show/

I’m sure his young family is happy they can safely walk from their house to the stadium. WL is a much nicer community for a young family and I’m sure that played a role in his decision
It is not. WL is North Terre Haute

Your post is a perfect example of why Purdue fans just don't get it and will never get it. It's also a great example of why Brohm has just made a huge mistake.

To you all he's just another coach. Even if he becomes a great coach at Purdue, he'll still just be a coach. To us, he is family. This definitely feels like a family member letting you down when you needed them the most.

If he was family, then it should have worked both ways...

I suspect that very early in his coaching career was when Brohm needed L'ville most. They demoted him after one down year as the OC, and they let him walk.

He was seemingly ignored by L'ville for the next 10 years while holding a variety of coaching at several schools. I imagine he would have jumped at the chance to become the HC at L'ville 2014, but when L'ville saw the success that WKU was having at the time, they elected to rehire the HC coach who they knew well and who had proven at several stops since leaving L'ville that character was not at the top of his list of attributes. (Seems ironic now that the L'ville fanbase is now chastising Brohm for his lack of character.)

Only now, when L'ville football is having a bit of a tough stretch, and Brohm is getting the opportunity to show what he is capable of at P-5 school, is L'ville so heavily invested in bringing him back into the fold, and apparently since he has been so well taken care of by his family L'ville for the last decade, he should feel obligated to come back and clean up the mess.

I'm sure Brohm does think of L'ville as family, and that probably did make the decision a difficult one. But, the argument that he "owed" L'ville to come back is kind soft given the history. It's not like had been groomed there for the last 10 years and then bolted for a better gig. Plus, I suspect that if Petrino was taking L'ville to CFP this year and was simply retiring after the season, the L'ville coaching search would not have focused singularly on Brohm given his relatively meager 6-6 regular season record the past 2 years.

Reactions: indy35 and SoulSr
Not here to cause a problem, just to see if hopefully some of the vitriol that was all over the Board last night might have dissipated....For both you all and the Brohm Family’s sake. Please don’t take this wrong but CJB did try to tell the whole sports world how he felt before Louisville tried to officially hire him away. He plainly said Saturday in the Purdue-IU post game press conference that he liked his job, Purdue was where he wanted to be and that he intended to be part of Purdue’s Football Program’s future. It was picked up by the national sports media and addressed across the country. I really think he wanted to avoid the collision that was about to take place between Louisville and Purdue. The problem is that no one in Louisville wanted to believe him....calling it “coach speak”. I don’t blame Louisville for trying to hire him anyway but I don’t understand how anyone can truly believe CJB tried to take advantage of anyone, especially not his Alma Mater which clearly he cares very much about. It’s clear that a lot of Louisville fans understand that already but hopefully once you have a new HC in place calmer waters will prevail and you all won’t blame Brohm for something he did everything in his power to avoid. As to why he agreed to listen to what your AD had to say, think about how it would have been perceived had he just refused to talk to anyone from U of L. Your AD has said it was clear from the first time he talked to Brohm that his heart wasn’t in leaving Purdue...Coach Brohm was truly caught in a double bind...but don’t think U of L doesn’t matter to him. Good luck with finding a great new Coach.
brohm told Tyra through Friebert that he would take the job. He then had second thoughts and pussed out and left Tyra holding the bag but not before taking purdoo to the cleaners for another 2M a year. All of the bullshit in between was just that - bullshit. Don't need your condolences or uninformed opinions - just take a hike granny and take the rest of the boils with you.

brohm told Tyra through Friebert that he would take the job. He then had second thoughts and pussed out and left Tyra holding the bag but not before taking purdoo to the cleaners for another 2M a year. All of the bullshit in between was just that - bullshit. Don't need your condolences or uninformed opinions - just take a hike granny and take the rest of the boils with you.
You might want to listen to this
http://www.espnlouisville.com/the-deener-show/

It is not. WL is North Terre Haute
You appear to be in denial. West Lafayette has one of the best public school systems in the nation.

Top Ranked Indiana Schools
To be eligible for a state ranking, a school must be awarded a national gold, silver or bronze medal.

• mini-badge-color.svg

Signature School
    610 Main St, Evansville, Indiana 47708
  • mini-badge-color.svg

Herron High School
    110 E 16th St, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202
  • mini-badge-color.svg

Zionsville Community High School
    1000 Mulberry St, Zionsville, Indiana 46077
  • mini-badge-color.svg

West Lafayette Jr./Sr. High School
    1105 N Grant St, West Lafayette, Indiana 47906
  • mini-badge-silver.svg

Carmel High School
    520 E Main St, Carmel, Indiana 46032
  • mini-badge-silver.svg

Hamilton Southeastern High School
    13910 E 126th St, Fishers, Indiana 46037
  • mini-badge-silver.svg

Munster High School
    8808 Columbia Ave, Munster, Indiana 46321
  • mini-badge-silver.svg

Floyd Central High School
    6575 Old Vincennes Rd, Floyd Knobs, Indiana 47119
  • mini-badge-silver.svg

Fishers High School
    13000 Promise Rd, Fishers, Indiana 46038
  • mini-badge-silver.svg

Yorktown High School
    1100 S Tiger Dr, Yorktown, Indiana 47396

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/indiana

Reactions: BSIT
Thanks for clarifying. I looked for beano at the women's basketball game last nite but don't recall seeing him. There was a bunch of us "haters" there... :p
I was at the women’s game too, they’re always a lot of fun, and inexpensive. I suspect some others who post on here were also there. Most of us think that “we win” only when the Cardinals win.

Reactions: zipp
I was at the women’s game too, they’re always a lot of fun, and inexpensive. I suspect some others who post on here were also there. Most of us think that “we win” only when the Cardinals win.
And see you there tomorrow...

Devastating day as a UofL fan. There's no other way to spin it.

Yes we will get a coach and will probably get a good coach, but Brohm was the only one who could almost immediately put energy back into the program. Brohm would have almost single hand-idly locked down recruiting for UofL in Jefferson County. Brohm would have had the season tickers holders immediately renewing. Brohm would have brought a hope that this football program, indeed this whole university, needs right now.

I respect Brohm's decision and have respect for the fact that he wanted to show loyalty to his players. It shows how much he cares for them and I can't fault any coach for wanting to stay with his players.

With that said, Brohm will never be at Purdue or any other university what he could have been at UofL. Brohm will never be able to win a National Title or Big Ten title at Purdue, Purdue simply doesn't have the football profile or facilities. At best he can win some Big Ten West titles and have some really good 9 - 3, 10 - 2 type season. At UofL I truly believe Brohm could have won a National Title and in the very least could have won several ACC titles. Even if Brohm has great success at Purdue, he'll always just be a great coach to them. Purdue fans will never have the connection with Brohm that UofL fans have. At UofL he had a chance to become a legend. To become our Bear Bryant, our Knute Rockne, our Bobby Bowden or our Nick Saban. Brohm at UofL had a chance to become the most beloved person in the entire city of Louisville. To become royalty in the city of Louisville. To have schools and roads named after him. Heck, there would be many UofL fans (myself included) who would be okay renaming the city after him if he brought UofL a National Title.

Brohm had a chance to finally finish the vision his head coach, Howard Schnellenberger, laid out all those years ago. The prodigal son, the first elite recruit that bought into Howard's vision, coming home to finish the vision. It would've been a story that Hollywood couldn't have written.

I respect Brohm's decision, and still consider him and the Brohm family the first family of UofL football. With that said, I truly believe Brohm just made the worst decision of his life. He may not regret it immediately, or even in a couple of years, but l do believe later on in life he will greatly regret his decision to not become head football coach here at UofL.

I wish him the best of luck in his coaching career.
I thought I was ok with the prodigal son turning us down, but I woke up today crying knowing he isn’t coming. It was such a perfect match and now we are set back decades. I just see no promise for our future. Someone please tell me otherwise.

Wow! Things change frequently during negotiations. Sometimes they work out and sometimes they don’t Brohm told his AD he was leaning toward Lville and the AD continued to negotiate sooo...Brohm also told several of his players he would be at Purdue. He told that to Rondale a year ago.

Wow! Things change frequently during negotiations. Sometimes they work out and sometimes they don’t Brohm told his AD he was leaning toward Lville and the AD continued to negotiate sooo...Brohm also told several of his players he would be at Purdue. He told that to Rondale a year ago.
Thanks for the update. You brought as much in the way of salient information as the rest of the boil fans.

Idiot.

They told Denny Crum he made the biggest mistake of his life when he chose "lowly" UofL over UCLA. Besides, Louisville FIRED Brohm once, and you just expect him to come waltzing back with a happy face? Then they could have hired him from WKU, and chose not to. After hiring the turd Petrino, which was a bad look. He was doing nothing wrong in life, enjoying his career, and then Louisville up and fired their coach, interjecting their problems into his world. Once you are a grown up and doing grown up things, you will see many people make these decisions, once they go outside of Louisville, and find that "sometimes", the grass is greener out there. My kid did the same, turned down her "dream job", because she found she liked the current one more than she expected. Its life. It happens. We need to move on.

I thought I was ok with the prodigal son turning us down, but I woke up today crying knowing he isn’t coming. It was such a perfect match and now we are set back decades. I just see no promise for our future. Someone please tell me otherwise.
Otherwise!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT