ADVERTISEMENT

I Respect Brohm's Decision, But I Believe He Has Just Made The Worst Decision Of His Life

Devastating day as a UofL fan. There's no other way to spin it.

Yes we will get a coach and will probably get a good coach, but Brohm was the only one who could almost immediately put energy back into the program. Brohm would have almost single hand-idly locked down recruiting for UofL in Jefferson County. Brohm would have had the season tickers holders immediately renewing. Brohm would have brought a hope that this football program, indeed this whole university, needs right now.

I respect Brohm's decision and have respect for the fact that he wanted to show loyalty to his players. It shows how much he cares for them and I can't fault any coach for wanting to stay with his players.

With that said, Brohm will never be at Purdue or any other university what he could have been at UofL. Brohm will never be able to win a National Title or Big Ten title at Purdue, Purdue simply doesn't have the football profile or facilities. At best he can win some Big Ten West titles and have some really good 9 - 3, 10 - 2 type season. At UofL I truly believe Brohm could have won a National Title and in the very least could have won several ACC titles. Even if Brohm has great success at Purdue, he'll always just be a great coach to them. Purdue fans will never have the connection with Brohm that UofL fans have. At UofL he had a chance to become a legend. To become our Bear Bryant, our Knute Rockne, our Bobby Bowden or our Nick Saban. Brohm at UofL had a chance to become the most beloved person in the entire city of Louisville. To become royalty in the city of Louisville. To have schools and roads named after him. Heck, there would be many UofL fans (myself included) who would be okay renaming the city after him if he brought UofL a National Title.

Brohm had a chance to finally finish the vision his head coach, Howard Schnellenberger, laid out all those years ago. The prodigal son, the first elite recruit that bought into Howard's vision, coming home to finish the vision. It would've been a story that Hollywood couldn't have written.

I respect Brohm's decision, and still consider him and the Brohm family the first family of UofL football. With that said, I truly believe Brohm just made the worst decision of his life. He may not regret it immediately, or even in a couple of years, but l do believe later on in life he will greatly regret his decision to not become head football coach here at UofL.

I wish him the best of luck in his coaching career.
Dont think there is enough talent in Jefferson. County for the whole team. It will be ok it's just football

Your post is a perfect example of why Purdue fans just don't get it and will never get it. It's also a great example of why Brohm has just made a huge mistake.

To you all he's just another coach. Even if he becomes a great coach at Purdue, he'll still just be a coach. To us, he is family. This definitely feels like a family member letting you down when you needed them the most.

Completely untrue. Purdue fans know Brohm is a special coach. That's why we were so worried about losing him, despite his 13-12 record.

He will do amazing things in his career. Happy that he will do them at Purdue for at least awhile longer.

You know, it's really funny seeing the arrogance by Purdue fans. Acting like they all are somehow even in the same stratosphere as the blue bloods of college football and not the bottom dweller that they really are. Acting like Purdue is such a better program than UofL, such an absolute joke. I'll be crushing that notion with this post. The stats don't lie:

Last Major Bowl Game:
UofL: 2016
Purdue: 2003

Bowl Games:
UofL: 22
Purdue: 18

Overall Conference Championships:
UofL: 8 (1970, 1972 (Split), 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2011 (Split), 2012 (Split) )
Purdue: 8 (1918(Split),
1929, 1931(Split), 1932 (Split), 1943 (Split), 1952 (Split), 1967 (Split), 2000 (Split) )

Of course this is biased towards Purdue as UofL was an Independent from 1912 to 1962 as well as an Independent from 1975 to 1995 and therefore would not have any chance at a conference title. I am also not counting Purdue's 1891 - 1894 IIAA Conference Championships, a conference where Purdue was the ONLY MEMBER! Talk about pathetic!

Last Split Conference Championship:
UofL: 2012
Purdue: 2000

Last Outright Conference Championship:
UofL: 2006
Purdue: 1929

Last Major Bowl Win:
UofL: 2012 (Sugar Bowl)
Purdue: 1978 (Peach Bowl)

Heisman Trophy Winners:
UofL: 1
Purdue: NONE

Major Bowl Wins:
UofL: 3 (1991 Fiesta Bowl, 2007 Orange Bowl, 2013 Sugar Bowl)
Purdue: 2 (1966 Rose Bowl, 1978 Peach Bowl)

Wow, such tradition by Purdue. I'm particularly impressed by Purdue's pre-WW II prowess. I don't debate that the Purdue program has been around longer than the UofL program or that they had more success back before color TV's were a thing, but the arrogance and ignorance by Purdue fans is amazing.

Newsflash to all Purdue fans, and yes I'm going to yell this intentionally, NO RECRUIT IN THE COUNTRY GIVES A DAMN ABOUT WHAT PURDUE DID BACK IN THE 1920s, 1930s AND 1940s.

By every metric, the UofL program has been far superior to Purdue since Howard Schnellenberger came to UofL in the mid 80s. More conference championships, more bowl games, more bowl victories, more players in the NFL and a Heisman Trophy winner. Howard Schnellenberger told the UofL fanbase in the 80s that we were in a collision course with the National Championship, that the only variable was time. Who heard that very loudly back in that day, Jeff Brohm.

Jeff Brohm and the First Family of Louisville will be coming home to make good on that promise Howard Schnellenberger made all those years ago. I hope Purdue has some good candidates ready because it's a done deal. Everyone thinking reasonably knows that Jeff Brohm would have already signed a contract extension if he was actually staying at Purdue. But Jeff Brohm knows Purdue's history just like you all do, and that is that Purdue is a stepping stone job, nothing more.

It will be so wonderful to bring Jeff Brohm home to a program where he will win a National Championship and become one of the legends of college football! At least you all can say you had him for a few years, similar to Michigan State and Nick Saban, West Virginia and Bobby Bowden and Texas A&M and Bear Bryant.

Oh and BTW, our stadium blows Purdue's high school stadium away. I'm sure it's a decent stadium by college standards, but matriarch Momma Brohm will enjoy sitting on an individual comfortable seat over a cold bench, hahahaha.
Just a reminder of your prognostication skills.

The OP could be right, but not for the reasons he stated. Anyone watching Purdue this year saw that Brohm’s offense does not function as well in bad weather. Rain and cold weather (<30 deg) games seemed to ruin the vertical passing game, and unfortunately Brohm did not have an answer this year. He doesn’t like running the ball much, so his system works best in warmer weather. Louisville is warmer than WL, and plays mostly warm weather teams in ACC. This is the only clear advantage I see Louisville having over Purdue, regardless of what your biases tell you.

My hope is Brohm will adjust to his environment going forward, and call more runs/screens in bad weather. Better defensive recruiting will also help so Brohm doesn’t feel like we need to score 30 in bad weather to win...

The OP could be right, but not for the reasons he stated. Anyone watching Purdue this year saw that Brohm’s offense does not function as well in bad weather. Rain and cold weather (<30 deg) games seemed to ruin the vertical passing game, and unfortunately Brohm did not have an answer this year. He doesn’t like running the ball much, so his system works best in warmer weather. Louisville is warmer than WL, and plays mostly warm weather teams in ACC. This is the only clear advantage I see Louisville having over Purdue, regardless of what your biases tell you.

My hope is Brohm will adjust to his environment going forward, and call more runs/screens in bad weather. Better defensive recruiting will also help so Brohm doesn’t feel like we need to score 30 in bad weather to win...
You are a moron. What is your deal?

just remember brohm just got about a $2,000,000 raise just for taking an interview with tyra. maybe he never wanted to come here at all and knew purdue would give him a raise for nothing. and overall, i think his career plan is to coach in the nfl, not the ncaa so he's going to leave no matter where he went.

Your post is a perfect example of why Purdue fans just don't get it and will never get it. It's also a great example of why Brohm has just made a huge mistake.

To you all he's just another coach. Even if he becomes a great coach at Purdue, he'll still just be a coach. To us, he is family. This definitely feels like a family member letting you down when you needed them the most.

Ya’ll weren’t listening. Tried to tell you. He and H.S. family loved Purdue and Purdue loved him. The day he was hired our AD said, “He is a good fit for Purdue and Purdue is a good fit for him.” Prophetic! Seventy years ago a Purdue legend turned down Purdue. His reasons were he had promised his employer he would give them two years and his wife liked her new home. His name? John Wooden. We have been there.

Reactions: Nieman and BSIT

Yes we will get a coach and will probably get a good coach, but Brohm was the only one who could almost immediately put energy back into the program. Brohm would have almost single hand-idly locked down recruiting for UofL in Jefferson County. Brohm would have had the season tickers holders immediately renewing. Brohm would have brought a hope that this football program, indeed this whole university, needs right now.

I respect Brohm's decision and have respect for the fact that he wanted to show loyalty to his players. It shows how much he cares for them and I can't fault any coach for wanting to stay with his players.

With that said, Brohm will never be at Purdue or any other university what he could have been at UofL. Brohm will never be able to win a National Title or Big Ten title at Purdue, Purdue simply doesn't have the football profile or facilities. At best he can win some Big Ten West titles and have some really good 9 - 3, 10 - 2 type season. At UofL I truly believe Brohm could have won a National Title and in the very least could have won several ACC titles. Even if Brohm has great success at Purdue, he'll always just be a great coach to them. Purdue fans will never have the connection with Brohm that UofL fans have. At UofL he had a chance to become a legend. To become our Bear Bryant, our Knute Rockne, our Bobby Bowden or our Nick Saban. Brohm at UofL had a chance to become the most beloved person in the entire city of Louisville. To become royalty in the city of Louisville. To have schools and roads named after him. Heck, there would be many UofL fans (myself included) who would be okay renaming the city after him if he brought UofL a National Title.

Brohm had a chance to finally finish the vision his head coach, Howard Schnellenberger, laid out all those years ago. The prodigal son, the first elite recruit that bought into Howard's vision, coming home to finish the vision. It would've been a story that Hollywood couldn't have written.

I respect Brohm's decision, and still consider him and the Brohm family the first family of UofL football. With that said, I truly believe Brohm just made the worst decision of his life. He may not regret it immediately, or even in a couple of years, but l do believe later on in life he will greatly regret his decision to not become head football coach here at UofL.

Man you posted this at 7pm and then before 10pm Brohm was no longer welcomed within 75 miles of your stadium.

After you ran out of beer at 9:50pm:

And yes **** your program, you all are still second rate and will always be second rate! Wisconsin will be back up quickly and Scott Frost gets it going at Nebraska your program will be fighting for 3rd in the west. Your program is still a shit program.

As for Brohm, if the Brohm family likes it up there so much they should move there. They are no longer the first family of Louisville. You betrayed your Alma Mater when they needed you the most. Probably be best that you just stay away at this point. Don't even visit.

And yes you can ban me if you want, I don't care, I welcome it!!!!! **** Purdue!

Ya’ll weren’t listening. Tried to tell you. He and H.S. family loved Purdue and Purdue loved him. The day he was hired our AD said, “He is a good fit for Purdue and Purdue is a good fit for him.” Prophetic! Seventy years ago a Purdue legend turned down Purdue. His reasons were he had promised his employer he would give them two years and his wife liked her new home. His name? John Wooden. We have been there.

I don't remember how this felt at the time.

Reactions: BSIT
Maybe Brohm didn't wanna step in this...

01_zps2corf63c.jpg

You’re absolutely right about Petrino and Strong. Corso, i have no clue. As far as The Pipe, he only left because UofL admin wanted to join conf USA (which they decided to do) and Schnelly wanted to stay Independent, and that’s exactly why he took the Oklahoma job.

As far as him earning respect? Ha, no. Look, great for Jeff that he gets to brag to recruits that he’s a man of his word, but let’s not act like he didn’t use UofL to get more money. Don’t get me wrong, coaches do that all of the time, but I can’t recall anyone doing it to their alma mater. He’s already swooping in taking what little talent we have here in KY high school football, and using his local connections to do that, but i dont hold that against him just because he does know the area. Jeff could have at least had the decency though to put the kibosh on UofL early out of respect for his former school, he could have used any number of other schools to get more money.

Lastly, one thing I don’t get out of all of this, is why the hell would he choose UofL over Notre Dame only 20+ years later choose Purdue over UofL?

How did that Oklahoma job work out for Howard? I spoke to him a few years later and he admitted that he regretted the move. If he stayed here he would have been canonized. And, I have to believe our football program would have moved us into a top five conference even earlier.

:eek:

Reactions: ScottyDigital
Man you posted this at 7pm and then before 10pm Brohm was no longer welcomed within 75 miles of your stadium.

And yes **** your program, you all are still second rate and will always be second rate! Wisconsin will be back up quickly and Scott Frost gets it going at Nebraska your program will be fighting for 3rd in the west. Your program is still a shit program.

As for Brohm, if the Brohm family likes it up there so much they should move there. They are no longer the first family of Louisville. You betrayed your Alma Mater when they needed you the most. Probably be best that you just stay away at this point. Don't even visit.

And yes you can ban me if you want, I don't care, I welcome it!!!!! **** Purdue!
He’s a little bitter

No doubt, he let Louisville down so badly. He'll probably win 7 games per year up there with the occasional bigger season thrown in there because let's not forget, he doesn't have to play the big boys in the West. I could see him absolutely winning 8 games or 9 games when the stars align.

I think he gave the bird to UofL, not happy with him at all. He should've simply told Louisville no from jump, I would've respected that way more than this drawn out saga he just concluded.
Let’s see. He met with Tyra Monday, I think. Gave UL answer in less than
48 hours. He met with Tyra out of respect for his hometown. Think he really struggled and I find it refreshing for him to stick to his commitment
to Purdue. Easy decision would have been to pick UL but he chose the hard path to stay. I wish he would ha e come home but he didn’t. Time to get over it.

Reactions: wernox1988 and BSIT

Other than returning home and coaching your school, what benefit would it be to Brohm? Non brainer in that he will be at a school that is in a stronger conference and greater financial resources.

I don't respect his decision, him or his family! Glad the drama queen had the balls to make a decision...finally!
I’m sure his young family is happy they can safely walk from their house to the stadium. WL is a much nicer community for a young family and I’m sure that played a role in his decision

Reactions: fred rerun berry
I don't respect his decision, him or his family! Glad the drama queen had the balls to make a decision...finally!
I don't like purdoo at all, and don't care about Brohm. But..."finally..makes a decision"? You realize that the broilees are still playing the season, as they have a lowlevel bowl game to play. And you don't respect him, his family, or his decision...lol. Maybe fans like you are why he stayed in broileeland.

People just going to ignore that the reason now is when Louisville needed him the most is the dog shit attitude their fans have towards sports?

The same awful mentality that led to Petrino coming back and Pitino having a job in the first place is the the one that leads to people posting this entitled trash. Get a grip.

Reactions: TC4THREE

^^ now that^^ is the purdue mentality at its best. You just cannot make it up-they believe these things!

^^ now that^^ is the purdue mentality at its best. You just cannot make it up-they believe these things!
Imagine having believed a bunch of false information for weeks about your coach wanting to come back and then thinking your in a position to make fun of someone else.

Reactions: BSIT

Hand-idly? Is this Kentucky talk???

The mentality is factually correct. Another reason that may be in play is all the “stuff “ that recently plagued the athletic department. Bad timing for Brohm to come to a mess. If he comes back it will be right before retirement

Brohm will leave that dump of town eventually. You can celebrate for 1 more year.[/QUOTE

UofL is a shitshow. The state of disarray, lack of self awareness, and low self esteem is a problem for y’all. Your UofL community facilitates the messed up culture. Get a grip jackletooths - it’s just sports. Focus on strong core values for a learning institution and maybe your sports teams will follow by accomplishing something with merit and pride.

In Purdue’s world we value education, culture, team- building and commitment. Don’t cheat. We have a university with substance. Purdue is a real college - a learning institution. Our coaches and student athletes come here because of these core values. Further, our facilities, conference, and ethics are top notch. Your hometown savior just shunned you for Purdue University because of all of these things. Everything that you proclaim to value in CJB, he truly values in West Lafayette and Purdue University. That’s why he stayed. BTFU! Scoreboard.

Take some solace though; your state is beautiful. Sip some Eagle Rare, take a breath, take a walk in the hollers. It’s just sports.

Hey fields 9876,

Way to put an ironic twist on your whole rant with that last line! Stay sharp buddy!

Wish I could have quoted your post but this internet stuff is tough for you...guess it’s that prestigious Purdue education.

Last edited:
No doubt, he let Louisville down so badly. He'll probably win 7 games per year up there with the occasional bigger season thrown in there because let's not forget, he doesn't have to play the big boys in the West. I could see him absolutely winning 8 games or 9 games when the stars align.

I think he gave the bird to UofL, not happy with him at all. He should've simply told Louisville no from jump, I would've respected that way more than this drawn out saga he just concluded.

Not here to cause a problem, just to see if hopefully some of the vitriol that was all over the Board last night might have dissipated....For both you all and the Brohm Family’s sake. Please don’t take this wrong but CJB did try to tell the whole sports world how he felt before Louisville tried to officially hire him away. He plainly said Saturday in the Purdue-IU post game press conference that he liked his job, Purdue was where he wanted to be and that he intended to be part of Purdue’s Football Program’s future. It was picked up by the national sports media and addressed across the country. I really think he wanted to avoid the collision that was about to take place between Louisville and Purdue. The problem is that no one in Louisville wanted to believe him....calling it “coach speak”. I don’t blame Louisville for trying to hire him anyway but I don’t understand how anyone can truly believe CJB tried to take advantage of anyone, especially not his Alma Mater which clearly he cares very much about. It’s clear that a lot of Louisville fans understand that already but hopefully once you have a new HC in place calmer waters will prevail and you all won’t blame Brohm for something he did everything in his power to avoid. As to why he agreed to listen to what your AD had to say, think about how it would have been perceived had he just refused to talk to anyone from U of L. Your AD has said it was clear from the first time he talked to Brohm that his heart wasn’t in leaving Purdue...Coach Brohm was truly caught in a double bind...but don’t think U of L doesn’t matter to him. Good luck with finding a great new Coach.

Not here to cause a problem, just to see if hopefully some of the vitriol that was all over the Board last night might have dissipated....For both you all and the Brohm Family’s sake. Please don’t take this wrong but CJB did try to tell the whole sports world how he felt before Louisville tried to officially hire him away. He plainly said Saturday in the Purdue-IU post game press conference that he liked his job, Purdue was where he wanted to be and that he intended to be part of Purdue’s Football Program’s future. It was picked up by the national sports media and addressed across the country. I really think he wanted to avoid the collision that was about to take place between Louisville and Purdue. The problem is that no one in Louisville wanted to believe him....calling it “coach speak”. I don’t blame Louisville for trying to hire him anyway but I don’t understand how anyone can truly believe CJB tried to take advantage of anyone, especially not his Alma Mater which clearly he cares very much about. It’s clear that a lot of Louisville fans understand that already but hopefully once you have a new HC in place calmer waters will prevail and you all won’t blame Brohm for something he did everything in his power to avoid. As to why he agreed to listen to what your AD had to say, think about how it would have been perceived had he just refused to talk to anyone from U of L. Your AD has said it was clear from the first time he talked to Brohm that his heart wasn’t in leaving Purdue...Coach Brohm was truly caught in a double bind...but don’t think U of L doesn’t matter to him. Good luck with finding a great new Coach.

“Everything in his power”...no. He could have squashed all the drama, regarding UofL’s opening, by being open to the press by saying he did not have any interest in leaving Purdue for UofL. He flat out took the interview for money. Just wish he would have used another school other than his Alma Mater to get his pay day. I just hope he fails there because he’s getting recruits from our area, that is the only reason I hope he fails at Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT