ADVERTISEMENT

I Respect Brohm's Decision, But I Believe He Has Just Made The Worst Decision Of His Life

Jun 24, 2009
Devastating day as a UofL fan. There's no other way to spin it.

Yes we will get a coach and will probably get a good coach, but Brohm was the only one who could almost immediately put energy back into the program. Brohm would have almost single hand-idly locked down recruiting for UofL in Jefferson County. Brohm would have had the season tickers holders immediately renewing. Brohm would have brought a hope that this football program, indeed this whole university, needs right now.

I respect Brohm's decision and have respect for the fact that he wanted to show loyalty to his players. It shows how much he cares for them and I can't fault any coach for wanting to stay with his players.

With that said, Brohm will never be at Purdue or any other university what he could have been at UofL. Brohm will never be able to win a National Title or Big Ten title at Purdue, Purdue simply doesn't have the football profile or facilities. At best he can win some Big Ten West titles and have some really good 9 - 3, 10 - 2 type season. At UofL I truly believe Brohm could have won a National Title and in the very least could have won several ACC titles. Even if Brohm has great success at Purdue, he'll always just be a great coach to them. Purdue fans will never have the connection with Brohm that UofL fans have. At UofL he had a chance to become a legend. To become our Bear Bryant, our Knute Rockne, our Bobby Bowden or our Nick Saban. Brohm at UofL had a chance to become the most beloved person in the entire city of Louisville. To become royalty in the city of Louisville. To have schools and roads named after him. Heck, there would be many UofL fans (myself included) who would be okay renaming the city after him if he brought UofL a National Title.

Brohm had a chance to finally finish the vision his head coach, Howard Schnellenberger, laid out all those years ago. The prodigal son, the first elite recruit that bought into Howard's vision, coming home to finish the vision. It would've been a story that Hollywood couldn't have written.

I respect Brohm's decision, and still consider him and the Brohm family the first family of UofL football. With that said, I truly believe Brohm just made the worst decision of his life. He may not regret it immediately, or even in a couple of years, but l do believe later on in life he will greatly regret his decision to not become head football coach here at UofL.

I wish him the best of luck in his coaching career.

Yes we will get a coach and will probably get a good coach, but Brohm was the only one who could almost immediately put energy back into the program. Brohm would have almost single hand-idly locked down recruiting for UofL in Jefferson County. Brohm would have had the season tickers holders immediately renewing. Brohm would have brought a hope that this football program, indeed this whole university, needs right now.

I respect Brohm's decision and have respect for the fact that he wanted to show loyalty to his players. It shows how much he cares for them and I can't fault any coach for wanting to stay with his players.

With that said, Brohm will never be at Purdue or any other university what he could have been at UofL. Brohm will never be able to win a National Title or Big Ten title at Purdue, Purdue simply doesn't have the football profile or facilities. At best he can win some Big Ten West titles and have some really good 9 - 3, 10 - 2 type season. At UofL I truly believe Brohm could have won a National Title and in the very least could have won several ACC titles. Even if Brohm has great success at Purdue, he'll always just be a great coach to them. Purdue fans will never have the connection with Brohm that UofL fans have. At UofL he had a chance to become a legend. To become our Bear Bryant, our Knute Rockne, our Bobby Bowden or our Nick Saban. Brohm at UofL had a chance to become the most beloved person in the entire city of Louisville. To become royalty in the city of Louisville. To have schools and roads named after him. Heck, there would be many UofL fans (myself included) who would be okay renaming the city after him if he brought UofL a National Title.

Brohm had a chance to finally finish the vision his head coach, Howard Schnellenberger, laid out all those years ago. The prodigal son, the first elite recruit that bought into Howard's vision, coming home to finish the vision. It would've been a story that Hollywood couldn't have written.

I respect Brohm's decision, and still consider him and the Brohm family the first family of UofL football. With that said, I truly believe Brohm just made the worst decision of his life. He may not regret it immediately, or even in a couple of years, but l do believe later on in life he will greatly regret his decision to not become head football coach here at UofL.

Salty much? Yikes.

Salty much? Yikes.

Your post is a perfect example of why Purdue fans just don't get it and will never get it. It's also a great example of why Brohm has just made a huge mistake.

To you all he's just another coach. Even if he becomes a great coach at Purdue, he'll still just be a coach. To us, he is family. This definitely feels like a family member letting you down when you needed them the most.

Your post is a perfect example of why Purdue fans just don't get it and will never get it. It's also a great example of why Brohm has just made a huge mistake.

To you all he's just another coach. To us, he is family. This definitely feels like a family member letting you down.

Actually he’s not just another coach to us. He’s resurrected our program and is a celebrity on campus that everyone loves.

Actually he’s not just another coach to us. He’s resurrected our program and is a celebrity on campus that everyone loves.

And if he had resurrected our program in the same way he would rival God himself on campus. Children would be named after him. There's simply no comparison for what he would've meant to UofL compared to what he means to Purdue.

No doubt, he let Louisville down so badly. He'll probably win 7 games per year up there with the occasional bigger season thrown in there because let's not forget, he doesn't have to play the big boys in the West. I could see him absolutely winning 8 games or 9 games when the stars align.

I think he gave the bird to UofL, not happy with him at all. He should've simply told Louisville no from jump, I would've respected that way more than this drawn out saga he just concluded.

Reactions: will1976
No doubt, he let Louisville down so badly. He'll probably win 7 games per year up there with the occasional bigger season thrown in there because let's not forget, he doesn't have to play the big boys in the West. I could see him absolutely winning 8 games or 9 games when the stars align.

I think he gave the bird to UofL, not happy with him at all. He should've simply told Louisville no from jump, I would've respected that way more than this drawn out saga he just concluded.
Good luck with your continuing search

I'm sad...but I'm not mad. He's a winner. That's what we need right now,but there are others that are too.

Reactions: KisteK
It's just business man. Loyalty to any organization or company is foolhardy. Despite the ties Brohm has to UofL, your program is a big risk right now for any coach. Success is never guaranteed in life and certainly not at this level of coaching. Two years of losing records with Brohm as coach and you would all be singing a very different tune. Peace.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver

Only 7 per year? He’s won 6 with flawed rosters and has a top 25 class coming in which will be highlighted by David Bell. Think about Rondale Moore, David Bell, and Milton Wright on the field at the same time. Nightmare for defenses.

He crushed #2 OSU with crap talent, but can’t win the Big Ten? Sour grapes are clouding your judgement. I get the anger and disappointment, but your logic is flawed.

He crushed #2 OSU with crap talent, but can’t win the Big Ten? Sour grapes are clouding your judgement. I get the anger and disappointment, but your logic is flawed.

Every blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. Beating one good team doesn't mean you are going to win the Big Ten. Heck the last Purdue game I saw Minnesota was going up and down the field on you!

Reactions: Gopher love
The man kept his word to his recruits. That is the biggest thing to come from this. It shows his integrity, an integrity that is almost totally absent in the sport today.

I get why he considered leaving and I believe it was very difficult for him but at the end of the day, he had to do what he said. If you fault him for that...it shows the integrity that is lacking in you.

The issue is that he took the job and believed he had 4 years to give (suspecting he would replace Bobby, more than likely). Nobody could have foreseen the timeline being pushed up and it caught him in a bad place.

I think Satterfield is the man up next and I think he will be a great coach.

Dude, you realize this is just football?

That's a funny comment considering we have renamed a street after Muhammad Ali. Not only that but there has been serious talk about renaming the airport and even Cardinal Stadium after Muhammad Ali.

Plenty of people have named their kids after famous coaches and athletes before.

If Brohm had really had a lot of success it's no unrealistic at all that we would name a street or a park after him. The only outlandish thing I said was renaming the city, but I said that as a joke. It seems you missed that.

I feel your pain and agree he could have reunited what probably is going to be a very segragated and delusional fan base. But, his decision did earn my respect because it was one that our much celebrated previous coaches such as Schnellenberger, Corso, Petrino 1.0, and Strong never had the allegiance to the program to make. I really wanted Brohm but I also really admire his loyalty to Purdue, his coaching staff, the university and his players.

That's a funny comment considering we have renamed a street after Muhammad Ali. Not only that but there has been serious talk about renaming the airport and even Cardinal Stadium after Muhammad Ali.

Plenty of people have named their kids after famous coaches and athletes before.

If Brohm had really had a lot of success it's no unrealistic at all that we would name a street or a park after him. The only outlandish thing I said was renaming the city, but I said that as a joke. It seems you missed that.
Are you naming your kid after Pitino?

I have no dog in this fight. Just two cents from a WKU fan. Even though he left WKU, I have nothing but the highest level of respect for Jeff Brohm. He did it the right way. He ALWAYS does things the right way.

I believe he wants to be the head coach at UL. I also believe he gave his word to a program, players, recruits, and administrators that he would be a part of building something from the ground up. At this time, he doesn’t feel like his job is done. That is why he stayed.

A few years down the road, if the situation comes around where he feels he’s given his all to Purdue and the Louisville job comes open, I absolutely think he jumps at the chance, if offered.

I think Jeff Brohm will be the football coach at Louisville someday. The timing just wasn’t right for a man of integrity this go around. Again, just a WKU fans humble opinion. Good luck to both programs.

You think he gain notability because he was an athlete? No it was because he was an ambassador for society. He brought people from all nationalities together. Sports athletes are like everybody else except they’re good at what they do. Doesn’t make them godlike or perfect. Mickey Mantle was my boyhood idol until I found out he was a womanizer and basically a drunk. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t a hell of a baseball player but certainly didn’t merit worshipping the ground beneath him.

Reactions: KisteK

Hes good but he has won 2 more games total, than Tom Allen the past 2 seasons. Has relied twice on beating a mediocre, poorly coached Indiana team to reach a bowl game. "Resurrected."

I feel your pain and agree he could have reunited what probably is going to be a very segragated and delusional fan base. But, his decision did earn my respect because it was one that our much celebrated previous coaches such as Schnellenberger, Corso, Petrino 1.0, and Strong never had the allegiance to the program to make. I really wanted Brohm but I also really admire his loyalty to Purdue, his coaching staff, the university and his players.

This is an amazingly classy take for what I assume is a Louisville guy. We would feel extremely hurt if one of our own...Rod Woodson, Drew Brees, etc. turned us down in the same manner. Very understandable.

Having said that the Purdue alumni that I hang around feel extremely fortunate to have Jeff at our school. His roots are in Louisville and he is all class. All the credit to you who influenced him over the years.

Really tough deal where somebody was going to be disappointed. Best wishes to you all going forward.

You think he gain notability because he was an athlete? No it was because he was an ambassador for society. He brought people from all nationalities together. Sports athletes are like everybody else except they’re good at what they do. Doesn’t make them godlike or perfect. Mickey Mantle was my boyhood idol until I found out he was a womanizer and basically a drunk. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t a hell of a baseball player but certainly didn’t merit worshipping the ground beneath him.

Muhammad Ali would have never had the platform he had if it wasn't for his boxing career. He was a boxer well before he was an ambassador.

And yes, I do believe he would've had the same stuff renamed in his honor even if he had just been a boxer.

You should have just ended with, “I respect Brohm’s decision “.

So do I. Time to move on. Pretty sure there is a rock star coach out there like the one we recently hired to run our men’s basketball program, our Baseball coach, women’s basketball.... etc...

Go get him.

Muhammad Ali would have never had the platform he had if it wasn't for his boxing career. He was a boxer well before he was an ambassador.

And yes, I do believe he would've had the same stuff renamed in his honor even if he had just been a boxer.
That’s not the point. He had charisma. People were drawn to him. He was despised early in his boxing career for his political beliefs. He would have became famous if he wasn’t a boxer.

To you all he's just another coach. Even if he becomes a great coach at Purdue, he'll still just be a coach. To us, he is family. This definitely feels like a family member letting you down when you needed them the most.

You need help......professional help.

That’s not the point. He had charisma. People were drawn to him. He was despised early in his boxing career for his political beliefs. He would have became famous if he wasn’t a boxer.

And he would've been just as famous if he had simply been the best boxer of all time and did nothing in the political arena.

You are right about a lot of people despising him early in his boxing career. Heck a lot of people still hate him, especially in the baby boomer generation. I know my parents (my dad was drafted and served in the Air Force during Vietnam) still absolutely despise him for dodging the draft. My mom in particular always says she has absolutely no respect for him.

This is an amazingly classy take for what I assume is a Louisville guy. We would feel extremely hurt if one of our own...Rod Woodson, Drew Brees, etc. turned us down in the same manner. Very understandable.

Having said that the Purdue alumni that I hang around feel extremely fortunate to have Jeff at our school. His roots are in Louisville and he is all class. All the credit to you who influenced him over the years.

Really tough deal where somebody was going to be disappointed. Best wishes to you all going forward.
Just a ditto from me

Seven annual wins is far more than any IU coach will EVER attain.Big Boys in the West?Yes,IU did top Maryland and Rutgers this year.And the Hoosiers were 0 and 3 against league West division teams this season.You messed up again when you said West instead of East.Are you old enough to remember IU beating OSU thirty years ago?Purdue smoked the Bucks 39 days ago.Good evening.

I realize I'm in a tiny minority of Louisville, but i'm happy Brohm is staying put. he's a good coach, even a very good coach, but not yet a great coach. In no way does his record support the hype UL fans threw his way. He was destined to fail if he came here simply because there was no way anyone could meet the expectations Cards fans had for him.

Reactions: KisteK and gold89

You’re absolutely right about Petrino and Strong. Corso, i have no clue. As far as The Pipe, he only left because UofL admin wanted to join conf USA (which they decided to do) and Schnelly wanted to stay Independent, and that’s exactly why he took the Oklahoma job.

As far as him earning respect? Ha, no. Look, great for Jeff that he gets to brag to recruits that he’s a man of his word, but let’s not act like he didn’t use UofL to get more money. Don’t get me wrong, coaches do that all of the time, but I can’t recall anyone doing it to their alma mater. He’s already swooping in taking what little talent we have here in KY high school football, and using his local connections to do that, but i dont hold that against him just because he does know the area. Jeff could have at least had the decency though to put the kibosh on UofL early out of respect for his former school, he could have used any number of other schools to get more money.

Lastly, one thing I don’t get out of all of this, is why the hell would he choose UofL over Notre Dame only 20+ years later choose Purdue over UofL?

Last edited:
I realize I'm in a tiny minority of Louisville, but i'm happy Brohm is staying put. he's a good coach, even a very good coach, but not yet a great coach. In no way does his record support the hype UL fans threw his way. He was destined to fail if he came here simply because there was no way anyone could meet the expectations Cards fans had for him.

I disagree to that last line somewhat. Obviously, if he would have came here and won big games and had competitive teams after the first couple years, we would have loved him. On the other hand, if he came here and had similar results as Petrino, he probably would not be welcome back to his hometown by some of the local lunatics.

And if he had resurrected our program in the same way he would rival God himself on campus. Children would be named after him. There's simply no comparison for what he would've meant to UofL compared to what he means to Purdue.
I agree. It would be similar to Drew Brees turning down Purdue.

Doesnt play big boys in the west? What was your teams record against the west. When was your last win against OSU?

Brohm will leave that dump of town eventually. You can celebrate for 1 more year.
The only thing that iu fans can cling to. "Purdue has a good coach so he'll leave. We don't have to worry about that because iu is where coaching careers go to die."

Hes good but he has won 2 more games total, than Tom Allen the past 2 seasons. Has relied twice on beating a mediocre, poorly coached Indiana team to reach a bowl game. "Resurrected."
Remember your team needing to beat Purdue teams coached by literally the worse coach in the schools history just to go bowling? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Reactions: BSIT

Maybe Brohm has no interest in a statue or a street being named after him. He was faced with a very tough decision , sticking with his commitment to Purdue and to his players or living someone else’s dream of him coaching UL. Sort of refreshing. The easy thing to do
would have been to come to UL. He chose the difficult route of staying at Purdue. I wish he chose UL but
totally get why he did not.

Reactions: BSIT
ADVERTISEMENT