ADVERTISEMENT

I reiter.......awww screw it.

Dropping from one of the most profitable if not the most profitable athletic program in college to somewhere in the middle is not a big deal to me...
Again, that's a glib comment without a grasp of the consequences. In case you haven't heard, basketball finances a lot of the other sports programs. Tell those coaches and players there won't be as much money coming their way, as well as the fans who support them...

There is no quick fix to this mess, not sure why you think there is when then basketball program was part of the 2 largest scandals EVER! Like it or not Louisville was the face of the last scandal. It is going to take time, but I like the new leadership. Football in a lot of ways is paying the price in fans anger or apathy.

Winning in both will go a long way in bringing people back.
Tyra came in with the expectations of a seamless transition. "Ain't about one guy" was his proud comment. Looks like it was...

Zipp trying to put a statue for an AD that left you in the shape you are in now. This football season and upcoming basketball season might as well be added to his list of accomplishments too zipp.

Reactions: awf
I don't understand why we have to draw a line in the sand on everything now. Most of the time the truth is somewhere in the middle. Jurich was obviously a great AD in most ways, he generated tons of money, built Louisville into a top institution on all of athletics and moved Louisville into a major power 5 conference. He had missteps, he had his faults. Just in my opinion from the outside he seemed to run the athletic department like a mafia don more-so than an athletic director and he took FULL advantage of everything being athletic director allowed and some it didn't.

Bottom line is that he had to go, just like Pitino had to go. There's no way around it. Far too many scandals within the school and the athletic department for Louisville to turn a blind eye and keep everyone in power. Jurich was the AD who stood by and gave Pitino a contract extension after 3 scandals in 5-6 years.

Tyra has done as well as anyone could expect at this point. Of course funds are going to be down. We had to pay Jurich, the fans are experiencing scandal fatigue and the football program is a disaster. It would be ridiculous to think that funds wouldn't be dipping right now with as much change that is taking place. But I have absolutely ZERO doubt that basketball will be back and I absolutely love the new personality of the new administration. Mack and Tyra have been great from a social engagement standpoint. Louisville may have had the worst combination of AD, basketball coach, and football coach in the country as far as engaging, fun personalities.

I just don't know why we still talk about Jurich. He's gone. He did great things and he did dumb things. Move on.

...I just don't know why we still talk about Jurich. He's gone. He did great things and he did dumb things. Move on.
People have trouble understanding subjects and relevant arguments...

The point I raise is only indirectly about Jurich. Recounting his good and bad traits is irrelevant. The dilemma is how to fix U of L's huge financial problems. Like it or not, most of that is related to Jurich's dismissal. When he left, so did the money, and it obviously ain't coming back because the name is "U of L" or Tyra's a good AD.

If you wanna fix the mess, you check egos and opinions at the door. And if you really wanna wage a counter-debate, you start trying to convince me why recruiting the Juriches back to U of L won't work. Or how that will turn away more people than it attracts. While you're at it, you might also inform me how we can OTHERWISE address the situation because what we're doing now ain't working...

Reactions: kl40504
Seamless transition? I dunno man!!!
Guarantee you this guy thought it would be...

tyra%20bow%20tie_zpsk8irhszs.jpg

People have trouble understanding subjects and relevant arguments...

The point I raise is only indirectly about Jurich. Recounting his good and bad traits is irrelevant. The dilemma is how to fix U of L's huge financial problems. Like it or not, most of that is related to Jurich's dismissal. When he left, so did the money, and it obviously ain't coming back because the name is "U of L" or Tyra's a good AD.

If you wanna fix the mess, you check egos and opinions at the door. And if you really wanna wage a counter-debate, you start trying to convince me why recruiting the Juriches back to U of L won't work. Or how that will turn away more people than it attracts. While you're at it, you might also inform me how we can OTHERWISE address the situation because what we're doing now ain't working...

I just don't believe that a program as large as Louisville's is all the sudden going to fall by the wayside because Tom Jurich isn't running it anymore. Will it go through a rough patch? Take some time to transition? Absolutely. But I fail to believe that just because Tom Jurich left that all the sudden all of Louisville's athletics is going to collapse because of his massive importance. Especially when you consider the sheer amounts of money he spent while the AD. You'll see a more fiscally responsible administration go through some tough times but the ship will get righted.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I just don't believe that a program as large as Louisville's is all the sudden going to fall by the wayside because Tom Jurich isn't running it anymore. Will it go through a rough patch? Take some time to transition? Absolutely. But I fail to believe that just because Tom Jurich left that all the sudden all of Louisville's athletics is going to collapse because of his massive importance. Especially when you consider the sheer amounts of money he spent while the AD. You'll see a more fiscally responsible administration go through some tough times but the ship will get righted.
It's not about what Jurich "spent". It's about how much money he made.

That's what fans and I think Tyra fail to recognize about a nonprofit. You spend what you earn, and Tyra's way overspending what he earns. Last year that deficit was $17 million or about 16% of his budget. U of L athletics will have to start contracting or downsizing because there's zero indication he's getting revenue turned around.

And that relates to your "collapse" of athletics. Sure Tyra can grow it back if he gets money to return. But that wasn't last year, it's not this year, and it probably won't be next. The clowns running our University are not going to subsidize athletics--they believe that was the prior regime's problem.

None of this is grounded in what you or I believe. It's about what the results already show. Unless you start hearing news about major donors and fans flocking back to U of L, the financial news is only gonna get worse...

Tell the guys on the sidelines their paychecks may not clear. Let me know if they care...

What sidelines? If we are talking the ones in Cardinal Stadium let Bobby tell’em. They are his kin folk. Unless they are blind they can see the empty seats. They should already be sending out resumes.

Even if the crap hits the fan and U of L Athletics enters full recession mode survivors can cope. Drop the men’s and women’s teams for the 3 or 4 most expensive sports with the lowest financial return.

For the record, I think a fan base who can put about 10,000 people in seats for an NIT game will quickly return and buy tickets to watch basketball 2018-2019. Even if I’m wrong there is still ACC television money.

But you keep hoping for that great sports depression.

What sidelines? If we are talking the ones in Cardinal Stadium let Bobby tell’em. They are his kin folk. Unless they are blind they can see the empty seats. They should already be sending out resumes.

Even if the crap hits the fan and U of L Athletics enters full recession mode survivors can cope. Drop the men’s and women’s teams for the 3 or 4 most expensive sports with the lowest financial return.

For the record, I think a fan base who can put about 10,000 people in seats for an NIT game will quickly return and buy tickets to watch basketball 2018-2019. Even if I’m wrong there is still ACC television money.

But you keep hoping for that great sports depression.
All of the coaches basically get paid out of the same bank account. Tell Dan McDonnell that "balance sheets and checkbook statements" NOT "hanging from the rafters" are the reason his baseball program has to live on less. His own season ticket sales ain't footing his bills.

You can't just drop sports that don't generate revenue. Title IX requires you to maintain most of those sports unless you wanna give up a huge sport like football with 85 men on scholarship. And that would further cut into your revenue.

2018-19 is the problem. U of L just reported that basketball ticket revenue is running $5 million short of expectations. That doesn't include corresponding CAF donations. And all of that "TV money" was spent in the existing budget. Your approach won't fix a newly discovered financial problem.

I don't "hope" for anything in this world except good health. I just report and analyze...

Reactions: swurv99
Sure, but it was in the past and it didn't faze the NCAA.

Did the NCAA nod or wink that's a credit next time? I wouldn't assume that. Did Tyra and Postel ask for that credit then? More stuff we will never know...

If we’re still playing basketball once the NCAA decides what penalties to enforce against us for paying BBSr $101,300, while already on probation, then you can assume we were given credit for cleaning house.

SMU did basically the same thing (continued to pay players while on probation) to get the death penalty in football in the late 1980’s....

If we’re still playing basketball once the NCAA decides what penalties to enforce against us for paying BBSr $101,300, while already on probation, then you can assume we were given credit for cleaning house.

SMU did basically the same thing (continued to pay players while on probation) to get the death penalty in football in the late 1980’s....
Unless you know the trigger date, I'm not sure we were on probation when the $1,300 was paid by Kenny Johnson...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT