ADVERTISEMENT

I 'll ask the question about Satterfield again

KerryRhodes

15000+
Dec 15, 2007
Why hasnt any other P5 schools poached him ?

UNC passed him up for a retread who is 67 and hasnt coached in 6 years.

There has to be a better guy than Satterfield.

Last 4 years at App State....6th Highest Winning Percentage in College Football...I’m sure Purdue fans were wondering why would they hire a 2 year HC at C-USA WKU....

Reactions: GoldCard
Last 4 years at App State....6th Highest Winning Percentage in College Football...I’m sure Purdue fans were wondering why would they hire a 2 year HC at C-USA WKU....

What, has there been 16 or 18 P5 openings and none wanted him ?

Why does UofL have to be his proving ground.

Hopefully Chip Long is the guy.
Im still holding out for Bob Stoops.

Reactions: GoldCard

Chip Long...if I was going to go with an Offensive Coordinator not named Ryan Day at the P5 Level I would look at Tony Elliot at Clemson WAY Before Chip Long...

Get any of the 3 you mentioned Louisville will be fine.

Last edited:

I’d rather not have a coach who’d rather be playing golf - so Stoops would be a No. Plus he isn’t going to cone out of retirement to coach at Louisville. So just remove those thoughts from your head.

As for Satterfield - there are some things that concern me...primarily recruiting ability and just his general fit at Louisville. That being said, he obviously can coach, he obviously has a strong team culture at App St and he plays a very balanced offense but one that incorporates newer schemes and his defenses can tackle.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
I just don’t get the stubbornness of some people.

Do you think he should’ve jumped at the first P5 job that offered? Maybe he likes App State so much that he wants the right opportunity to come along. UNC Chapel Hill is not the right opportunity for football. Look what happened to Fedora. I’m guessing that if they put out any feelers, Satterfield told them indirectly thanks but no thanks. Either that, or UNC is stupid enough to retread Mack Brown instead of taking Satterfield.

What other major program jobs have come open in the last year or two that should’ve taken Satterfield? Quit looking the gift horse in the mouth. We are fortunate to get him while he’s hot.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Why hasnt any other P5 schools poached him ?

UNC passed him up for a retread who is 67 and hasnt coached in 6 years.

There has to be a better guy than Satterfield.
UNC wanted to make boosters happy. It was a dumb move. A lot of things come in to play that we can’t know, like was it the right fit, was the money right, etc.. All I know is the dude wins consistently at a place where that is tough to do. From what I know he’s a perfect fit. Just what the doctor ordered. Could he be another Krag? Sure. But Satterfield has a much stronger resume than Krags did. Also, the pool of applicants is not as good as most years. There hasn’t been a lot of movement. Finally, in our current situation, even though we have much to offer, the absence of a Tom Jurich and unknowns regarding the university administration and trustees make us less attractive than we normally would be. Satterfield would be a great hire, based on what I know.

Recruits are still bailing and we don't have time to chase guys who are not interested. Get all the interviews done by today and choose a coach no later than Monday.

With that being said I think our options are Satterfield and Norvell. I don't know if Long was interviewed. If so then pick one from that group and be done. My favorite was Fickell but I havent heard his name in a while so I wasn't sure if he was taken off the list.

Recruits are still bailing and we don't have time to chase guys who are not interested. Get all the interviews done by today and choose a coach no later than Monday.

With that being said I think our options are Satterfield and Norvell. I don't know if Long was interviewed. If so then pick one from that group and be done. My favorite was Fickell but I havent heard his name in a while so I wasn't sure if he was taken off the list.

Norvell is not being considered. Pretty certain of that.

Reactions: Smithereen
Maybe other schools are taking a wait and see approach. Maybe his agent doesn’t pimp him out. Maybe he doesn’t have an agent. Maybe other schools have simply missed out. Maybe I haven’t been paying attention and he has been in the mix in previous years. Maybe he’s a bad interview. I’ve never heard the guy speak. I know nothing about his personality. I do know his overall record is pretty damn good. If it’s him, I imagine I’ll be fully on board. He needs to kill it during the press conference.

I’d rather not have a coach who’d rather be playing golf - so Stoops would be a No. Plus he isn’t going to cone out of retirement to coach at Louisville. So just remove those thoughts from your head.

As for Satterfield - there are some things that concern me...primarily recruiting ability and just his general fit at Louisville. That being said, he obviously can coach, he obviously has a strong team culture at App St and he plays a very balanced offense but one that incorporates newer schemes and his defenses can tackle.

I understand some of your points, but you csn see the angst when a home State flagship University passed him.

I hope he's not another guy from Tulsa.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
I understand some of your points, but you csn see the angst when a home State flagship University passed him.

Wouldn’t you agree them hiring Brown was not clever, creative, or anywhere near innovative or exciting? I’m thinking old guard leadership is slipping with their decision making. Therefore, not an indictment on Satterfield, but on them.

Disagree that Norvell isn’t being considered as most people think he is on the list of four. His offense is putting an absolute whipping on UCF right now (31 points in less than 20 minutes of play). Also saw a stat that Memphis is #1 in the nation in touchdowns per possession. That’s #1, as in better than everyone else!!! I like Norvell better than Satterfield but would be OK with either. Clearly both know how to run a program. Recruiting is the big question with both.

I definitely don’t think Satterfield is a cant miss guy, but I don’t think there are any can’t miss prospects out there. Quite frankly that was the disappointing thing about Brohm because we knew he could compete well at the highest level.

I definitely don’t think Satterfield is a cant miss guy, but I don’t think there are any can’t miss prospects out there. Quite frankly that was the disappointing thing about Brohm because we knew he could compete well at the highest level.

So wouldn't Tucker, Fickell Long or Elliot be more desirable ?

Petrino screwed is in 07 and begat Kragdud
What is 2019 going to be like ?

So wouldn't Tucker, Fickell Long or Elliot be more desirable ?

Petrino screwed is in 07 and begat Kragdud
What is 2019 going to be like ?

Tyra prefers a coach that has head coaching experience. I like Elliott but he and Long are really young. Are either of them ready to take over a P5 program? Tucker is fine but looks like he is going to Colorado. And Tucker is older than Satterfield so why hasn’t a school already pegged him before now? The issue with Fickell is that he runs a boring offense. Tyra knows that UofL fans like to be entertained with offense. So just not sure why any of those 4 would be anymore of a sure thing than Satterfield.

Tyra prefers a coach that has head coaching experience. I like Elliott but he and Long are really young. Are either of them ready to take over a P5 program? Tucker is fine but looks like he is going to Colorado. And Tucker is older than Satterfield so why hasn’t a school already pegged him before now? The issue with Fickell is that he runs a boring offense. Tyra knows that UofL fans like to be entertained with offense. So just not sure why any of those 4 would be anymore of a sure thing than Satterfield.

I"ll counter with Tucker hasnt been a HC.
Satterfield has been a coach and been routinely passed up.

Need defense to go along with the offense.

I'm not considering anybody a lock is all. Just been nice to toss around names without any hassle

i'll say this my boss big donor whoms a friend to the AD . Satterfield is it ! I said what i was told about Brohm .Their are those that know

Here is what I like about Satterfiled for a offensive and defensive perspective.

His offense is not a finesse offense it is a power game. It is physical. He doesn't abandon his game plan he sticks with the run. Petrino 2.0 offense was a finesse not physical at all. He wanted to throw the ball all over the place even in a monsoon. This will be a significant change for the Oline. There aren't many teams that can throw the ball all over the place an compete at the highest level. You have to be able to run the ball. A physical offense helps the defense because they practice against it every day. It may be labeled as boring at times, but with the right pieces it can be incredibly difficult to stop.

He defensive philosophy is solid. This year are top 5 in pass defense and top 25 in rush defense. They don't
wow you with the other defensive stats i.e. sacks, turnovers, or tackles for loss but they have a very solid system they run.

Here is what you are getting, if he comes, a physical offense that will focus on running the ball and a solid defense. Full disclosure this is not a pass happy offense which is good. The question is can he replicate his success at Louisville with all the benefits that come with being at a power 5 school.

No one else being discussed has this kind sustained success, it is a educated gamble by Tyra. All the other candidates are a gamble, besides Fickell, because you have no idea how they would handle the current situation at Louisville. Satterfield brought App St through the the transition to FBS which had to be extremely challenging.

Some of our fans need to come to grips with reality. A few months ago I recall pointing out the pool of candidates should Petrino be fired may be disappointing. Yet. Here we have posters critiquing candidates. The past few weeks should have been a wake up call for where the program is right now but I guess the alarm is on snooze!

Reactions: CATFANFOLIFE87
Some of our fans need to come to grips with reality. A few months ago I recall pointing out the pool of candidates should Petrino be fired may be disappointing. Yet. Here we have posters critiquing candidates. The past few weeks should have been a wake up call for where the program is right now but I guess the alarm is on snooze!
Brohm was the only coach that was going to get complete buy in, no one that was a serious candidate was going to move the needle. All have question marks.

Recruiting-Louisville has never recruited classes consistently in the top 30. It is somewhat fantasy land to think anyone coming in here will elavate recruiting to Top 20 level. Louisville is effectively App St, but in the ACC. It will never outrecruit FSU, Miami or Clemson. Can he bring in classes and build a program that compete on field with FSU and Clemson? I believe he can absolutely outrecruit Syracuse, Wake, BC, Virginia, and NC State. He has ties in all the places Louisville already has ties in Ga and Fl.

It is just going to take time for him to build the program back, but maybe not too long. The offensive players match his system. If he can get the line fixed they can implement his run game. I think the pieces are there to do this next year. The defense is the problem. That is a absolute mess but his system works. I am just not sure they have the pieces in place to be very good.

Reactions: CTownCard
At least they fill their stadium.
Boone is the epitome of a college town. Football game and the whole town shuts down. I hope Tyra takes that into consideration, taking Satterfield out of a rural mountain town into an urban environment, where kids have too many options to get in trouble.

I"ll counter with Tucker hasnt been a HC.
Satterfield has been a coach and been routinely passed up.

Need defense to go along with the offense.

Why did it take so long for Chris Peterson to go from Boise State to a P5 school? Maybe some coaches and their families like where they are. Maybe they have a set goal, and only want to move on when they feel they have peaked.

You should be very excited Satterfield is considering UofL. That is like getting Mark Few to take your call for a Basketball HC opening. He is a proven winner.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
Here's how I view it.

There's a number of guys that I wouldn't mind to get but they aren't coming...Venebles, Ryan Day.

There's a number of guys that I wouldn't mind to take a look at but they're buyout is too high...Dino Babers, Matt Campbell.

There's a number of guys I wouldn't mind to consider but they have red flags in their past....Mike Leach, Mike Norvell, Neal Brown.

There's former coaches that have contacted Louisville that I have no desire to hire...Jim McElwain, Brad Childress, Jim Mora Jr.

There's high level coordinators that have never been a head coach...Chip Long, Mel Tucker.

There's lower level head coaches that have been successful but we're unsure if they can recruit and win at the highest level....Scott Satterfield, Seth Litteral, Matt Wells, Bill Clark.

Then there's Luke Fickell - A head coach at a mid-level program.
And there's Joe Whitt Jr - An NFL defensive passing game coordinator. Tons of question marks about his ability.

So, thats how we get our current options. The lower level HCs, the coordinators and Luke Fickell.

I would rather take a chance on a guy who's shown he can be a head coach and win big. So for me that eliminates Chip Long and Mel Tucker. We have no idea if they can run a program or develop and recruit without the help of their blueblood employers.

I'm not sure why Luke Fickell hasn't been more of a contender.

Of those lower level coaches we're left with I think you can easily make a case that Scott Satterfield is easily the best option. Once you read up on him, watch his videos, and read what other coaches, media members and agents have to say about him he runs away from the field as the clear best option. Obviously there are risks....there are risks with every candidate we can choose from. But I say give the guy who's shown he can dominate at his level, who's shown he can develop talent, and who has a great reputation with his players, media and other coaches. Its a risk, but Satterfield is the best option in my opinion.

The ESPN announcers this morning spoke very highly of Satterfield and said he will be a P5 coach next season. UNC wanted Mack 2.0 and that was set in stone. Had Mack declined, Satterfield would have been their next choice most likely. He was on short list for Ga Tech as well. I think he will be a good choice for us among the names I have heard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT