ADVERTISEMENT

I hate UK but dang...

As a UK fan....we experts on bad football teams.
I’ll give you this one ;)

We are also experts on teams that are in rebuild mode.
Cant go there because you’ve only seen about four in the last 30 years.

Every time you guys are “turning the corner”, you get T-boned in the intersection.

‘77, ‘84, ‘89, ‘02 “rebuilds all followed by crash and burns.

This year will tell the tale. Even 8 wins will be backsliding.

The pressure is on. ;)

Reactions: BPGhost and Mayoman
I’ll give you this one ;)

Cant go there because you’ve only seen about four in the last 30 years.

Every time you guys are “turning the corner”, you get T-boned in the intersection.

‘77, ‘84, ‘89, ‘02 “rebuilds all followed by crash and burns.

This year will tell the tale. Even 8 wins will be backsliding.

The pressure is on. ;)
I'd say that the 3 I've seen

Mumme had to rebuild the Curry era...probation stalled that along with not really any money being put into the program...

Brooks did the best he could with what he had...awful facilities, little to no money, and competing in the SEC East when it was probably at it's toughest. Got the program to where it could compete...but not really win big unless there was an upgrade in talent...and then Joker happened

Stoops just focused on upgrading the program from top to bottom. Better coaches, better recruits, better facilities, and better funding. It took him time and he struggled...but I think now he's got the program in a good place. Although it will never be looked at as a power...the perception is better...and that's pretty much the entire battle...he was a good marketer and manager. Once he let off micromanaging the in-game decisions...the team did a lot better.

And to be honest...if 8 regular seasons wins is backsliding and a disappointment...wow what a job Stoops has done...because I've never seen UK win 8 regular season games in my lifetime until last year and that's amazing that 8 wins will not be backsliding rather than a once in a lifetime season (granted...I guess it was a once in a lifetime season for me last year haha).

Kentucky being bowl eligible after graduating what they did AND getting a new DC will be a good sign. With the schedule should be 6 to 8 wins. Whole new secondary is a big issue.
Injuries always play their hand.
Louisville is not bare in talent, especially on offense. Depends on how Satterfield wants to use it. Line play is the Cards question. Whole new coaching staff, whole new attitude. Didn't expect you guys team to crash last year, I don't expect it this year. Four wins bottom, outside shot at six. Not an empty cupboard rebuild for Satterfield....more of attitude and discipline adjustment. Worse things are the light recruiting class last year plus defections from Petrino. That stings down the road. Cards are down for a bit, but not out. Only one monster team in the ACC right now.

I'd say that the 3 I've seen

Mumme had to rebuild the Curry era...probation stalled that along with not really any money being put into the program...

Brooks did the best he could with what he had...awful facilities, little to no money, and competing in the SEC East when it was probably at it's toughest. Got the program to where it could compete...but not really win big unless there was an upgrade in talent...and then Joker happened

Stoops just focused on upgrading the program from top to bottom. Better coaches, better recruits, better facilities, and better funding. It took him time and he struggled...but I think now he's got the program in a good place. Although it will never be looked at as a power...the perception is better...and that's pretty much the entire battle...he was a good marketer and manager. Once he let off micromanaging the in-game decisions...the team did a lot better.

And to be honest...if 8 regular seasons wins is backsliding and a disappointment...wow what a job Stoops has done...because I've never seen UK win 8 regular season games in my lifetime until last year and that's amazing that 8 wins will not be backsliding rather than a once in a lifetime season (granted...I guess it was a once in a lifetime season for me last year haha).

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn........what else is going on in Lexington? I so wanna know...

So glad that the #ukaaay #trashcats took the time to come over to OUR board to educate us about OUR team.

GTFOH and go team up with Purdue. They have the garbage, y’all have the trash cans. Perfect Union.

I mean, you could argue everything under the sun. I could argue UK really only had no chance to win one game.

They were an OT and a bad game away from a one loss season.

Just saying, UL can definitely roll out a few wins in the ACC, but to expect an 8 or 9 win season is unrealistic. If it happens, thatd be great... the tickets I sell would be worth a little more.
I’m not expecting 8 or 9 wins.

Kentucky being bowl eligible after graduating what they did AND getting a new DC will be a good sign. With the schedule should be 6 to 8 wins. Whole new secondary is a big issue.
Injuries always play their hand.
Louisville is not bare in talent, especially on offense. Depends on how Satterfield wants to use it. Line play is the Cards question. Whole new coaching staff, whole new attitude. Didn't expect you guys team to crash last year, I don't expect it this year. Four wins bottom, outside shot at six. Not an empty cupboard rebuild for Satterfield....more of attitude and discipline adjustment. Worse things are the light recruiting class last year plus defections from Petrino. That stings down the road. Cards are down for a bit, but not out. Only one monster team in the ACC right now.

Agree with most of what you said. I think UK is minimum 6, with 7 or 8 very possible. 8 home games and an awful non-conference gets you 6 with little effort. Big question will be the MSU, Mizzou, UT, USCjr games. Split those and you get to 8.

I like UofL to win 4 and maybe shock a UK or BC for a 5th. Would be big for momentum heading into the following season..

Reactions: billoliver40
The Cards have enough offensive weapons to hang with most teams.Defense retooling again will hurt .... kids have to adjust. I expect Satterfield will run no-frills defense to begin and tweak as he goes...likely mixing in a lot of blitz packages to help out the line. He has experience at Appy State playing against more "talented" teams and has shown the knack for scheming the plan to be downright nasty...both offense and defense.
Cards will be interesting to watch. Sticking with no less than 4, outside of 6.

The Cats will rely on running back by committee to replace Snell....but his leadership isn't replaceable. Same with Allen and Edwards. Most analysts say Wilson is one of the bottom two Quarterbacks in the SEC....and some of those he's ranked behind didn't play last year.
Strong line...loss of George A.A. offset with Young returning. Good depth on both O-line and defensive front 7. Cats coaches and fans are hoping for that player development jump for a BUNCH of kids like Allen had last year. Defense will be worse. Offense will HAVE to be better. A lot. Schedule lines up for what SHOULD be 7 wins....but we will see...a bad run in that third through seventh week stretch could take the heart out of a team.

Reactions: BlueRattie
The Cards have enough offensive weapons to hang with most teams.Defense retooling again will hurt .... kids have to adjust. I expect Satterfield will run no-frills defense to begin and tweak as he goes...likely mixing in a lot of blitz packages to help out the line. He has experience at Appy State playing against more "talented" teams and has shown the knack for scheming the plan to be downright nasty...both offense and defense.
Cards will be interesting to watch. Sticking with no less than 4, outside of 6.

The Cats will rely on running back by committee to replace Snell....but his leadership isn't replaceable. Same with Allen and Edwards. Most analysts say Wilson is one of the bottom two Quarterbacks in the SEC....and some of those he's ranked behind didn't play last year.
Strong line...loss of George A.A. offset with Young returning. Good depth on both O-line and defensive front 7. Cats coaches and fans are hoping for that player development jump for a BUNCH of kids like Allen had last year. Defense will be worse. Offense will HAVE to be better. A lot. Schedule lines up for what SHOULD be 7 wins....but we will see...a bad run in that third through seventh week stretch could take the heart out of a team.
Sum it up...

UK- Decent depth throughout the team and size on the lines. Skill positions have potential but underdeveloped...Lynn Bowden is elite, but that's it. Terry Wilson has the tools...but just didn't have it together in year 1.

UofL- A lot of speed and skill at the skill positions. Not a lot of depth throughout the roster and very poor line play. If one QB makes a step forward...it will be a somewhat competitive team.

I don't think Wilson has the tools to be an elite QB and not sure of the talent at the skills positions outside of Bowden, remains to be seen if you can overcome not having some of those guys that rarely stay for that precious 4th year.

QB and line depth are our biggest question marks. I keep hearing how CSS schemed his way through games and even shocked some of the big boys, but having to do that 10 out of 12 weeks when you play against bigger, stronger, more physical lines, while battling injuries is the BIG question for me.

I don't think Wilson has the tools to be an elite QB and not sure of the talent at the skills positions outside of Bowden, remains to be seen if you can overcome not having some of those guys that rarely stay for that precious 4th year.

QB and line depth are our biggest question marks. I keep hearing how CSS schemed his way through games and even shocked some of the big boys, but having to do that 10 out of 12 weeks when you play against bigger, stronger, more physical lines, while battling injuries is the BIG question for me.
Yeah.....lotta question marks. Stoops has done well redshirting, but nothing takes the place of in game experience. Despite what many of us hope, I imagine UK stays ground and pound. As good as the line was in run blocking, they weren't elite pass blockers.
Cards get a good picture of what they have in game one. The Irish are solid, if unspectacular.
Cats really don't know what they have till game three. Mullen is building an SEC champ level team....and may be closer than we wished.
Wish season was here. One and done has soured basketball for old timers like me.
Hopes for good seasons for both up till the finale. Mainly no serious injuries.

I honestly think UGA and UF are your only for sure losses this season.

Seems like the UK contingent is 50-50 on the whole one and done thing. I don't mind one here and there, but don't care for it, honestly.

Terry Wilson is garbage, but the coaching staff apparently cant develop a QB they let two QB’s better than him transfer out of the program. Marrow is slick if it weren’t for him most Kentucky kids wouldn’t even be interested anymore. I’m trying to let mine pick on his own but if I were picking out of the current offers he got there’s no doubt where he’d go...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT