ADVERTISEMENT

I hate UK but dang...

acf1016

One-Star Poster
Feb 27, 2017
They are recruiting at a high level right now. Just landed a 5 star commitment to go along with their 3 four star commitments. It will be interesting to see if they can hold all of them until signing day but very impressive start.

Can't wait until CSS gets us to that level of recruiting.

Reactions: Bank Cat
Do you remember when Coach Charlie Strong recruited high ranked talent. It was fun and UofL won ALOT of games.
To all the kitty Kat fans. ENJOY IT, while it last. It wont last forever.
As for Coach Satterfield, he better wake up soon, and start recruiting top level talent. This is the ACC, where the big boys play.

Wake up?

He just inherited a 2-10 team. A team who was telling last years recruits to go elsewhere.

Give the guy a break. Everybody was giddy when “Cort” came back. Recruiting was going to rock we said. But 2-10 is a hard number to dance to.

I think these guys will be fine....once they show kids what they can do. W

BTW, when the wheels come off at uk, as they always do, they may not get any of those guys.

I don't expect Satterfield too bring in that type talent in mainly because U of L has never been a consistent top tier 4 & 5 star recruiting program. Not fair to expect that and especially comparing that to Uk which is an anomaly . The difference that Uk has over us is that yes the ACC is a big boy conference however their is really only three teams that those higher level kids really have a desire for .Clemson,Fl.St and Miami the latter two mainly because they are Florida schools. And too be honest alot of top kids feel the SEC football is the best so they are willing to go their at any cost ie even UK . Once Satterfielsd shows what he can do he will get better talent winning cures all.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I don't expect Satterfield too bring in that type talent in mainly because U of L has never been a consistent top tier 4 & 5 star recruiting program. Not fair to expect that and especially comparing that to Uk which is an anomaly . The difference that Uk has over us is that yes the ACC is a big boy conference however their is really only three teams that those higher level kids really have a desire for .Clemson,Fl.St and Miami the latter two mainly because they are Florida schools. And too be honest alot of top kids feel the SEC football is the best so they are willing to go their at any cost ie even UK . Once Satterfielsd shows what he can do he will get better talent winning cures all.
The "star" talent is overrated. And it's not the SEC...Stoops found a niche in becoming the only SEC program to come in and recruit Big 10 country...we had tried Georgia/Florida for years...but it just wasn't going to happen. We started in Ohio...then started adding Pennsylvania, Michigan, Maryland, etc...

Stoops came in and focused on getting Power 5 level players. He didn't get the best...but got guys that were good enough to fit his style an built his classes quickly so he wouldn't get burned late and had to start dishing out last minute offers. Now that he's shown progress every year and has a 10-win season and NFL players to show from his 2 win to 10 win rebuild...he can start going after the higher ranked recruits.

Classes in the 20-40's every year. Big and strong. Maybe not close to the Bama, Georgia, Clemson level....but good enough to win/compete with the right development. Depth at every position. Guys fast and big enough to go up against P5 guys every week.

That's why Satterfield is a similar hire for you guys. He seems to be building for his style. Bobby wanted high level skill guys...but in Power 5 ball you can't win with focusing only on skill speed...you have to have good line play or you'll run out of gas. Satterfield knows that...from what I've seen he wants a strong/physical team that can hold its own week in and week out. That's what Charlie built too.

The "star" talent is overrated. And it's not the SEC...Stoops found a niche in becoming the only SEC program to come in and recruit Big 10 country...we had tried Georgia/Florida for years...but it just wasn't going to happen. We started in Ohio...then started adding Pennsylvania, Michigan, Maryland, etc...

Stoops came in and focused on getting Power 5 level players. He didn't get the best...but got guys that were good enough to fit his style an built his classes quickly so he wouldn't get burned late and had to start dishing out last minute offers. Now that he's shown progress every year and has a 10-win season and NFL players to show from his 2 win to 10 win rebuild...he can start going after the higher ranked recruits.

Classes in the 20-40's every year. Big and strong. Maybe not close to the Bama, Georgia, Clemson level....but good enough to win/compete with the right development. Depth at every position. Guys fast and big enough to go up against P5 guys every week.

That's why Satterfield is a similar hire for you guys. He seems to be building for his style. Bobby wanted high level skill guys...but in Power 5 ball you can't win with focusing only on skill speed...you have to have good line play or you'll run out of gas. Satterfield knows that...from what I've seen he wants a strong/physical team that can hold its own week in and week out. That's what Charlie built too.

The Satterfield / Stoops comparison is an interesting one, if only because the both inherited a mess. I think that the best case scenario with Satterfield, though, is as a Frank Beamer clone. Beamer took over a mess at VaTech and steadily built a winner (in the ACC, no less) by evaluating hard-nosed, under the radar talent. It seems that Satterfield is big on finding and developing high character kids that fit his system. That's more or less what Beamer did. If he can do that, UofL will be competitive in the ACC again. However, he's going to have to have a long leash. If the fans / administration expects him to turn it around in three recruiting classes then they're fooling themselves. A complete overhaul takes five years.

Reactions: The-Hack
The Satterfield / Stoops comparison is an interesting one, if only because the both inherited a mess. I think that the best case scenario with Satterfield, though, is as a Frank Beamer clone. Beamer took over a mess at VaTech and steadily built a winner (in the ACC, no less) by evaluating hard-nosed, under the radar talent. It seems that Satterfield is big on finding and developing high character kids that fit his system. That's more or less what Beamer did. If he can do that, UofL will be competitive in the ACC again. However, he's going to have to have a long leash. If the fans / administration expects him to turn it around in three recruiting classes then they're fooling themselves. A complete overhaul takes five years.
Satterfield/Beamer thing is Beamer had the two main things working in his favor that you really need in FB to succeed especially the lesser FB programs.

1. Va Tech is in the backyard of a much more fertile recruiting area.

2. Bud Foster stayed with him they kept a defensive identity without having to change every so many years having a revolving door of coordinators kills certain programs more than others.

It's also going to be on attacking what's in front of you today...instead of reaching for the top immediately.

Stoops came in at the bottom...so while he focused on building the core. He didn't need to jump into the top of the SEC because it wasn't going to happen...he needed to focus on beating who he could. Vanderbilt, Mizzou, and South Carolina were all attainable programs to go after...and he has now consistently beat those teams year in and year out. Once he got there...then he could focus on competing with Miss State and Tennessee. There's a spot for a team right under Georgia and Florida...he got us in competition for that spot...where if there's a lucky break we could sneak in and have a big year if we remain consistent.

That's where Satterfield is going to need to attack. Louisville at minimum needs to be consistently ahead of Wake Forrest, Boston College, Syracuse, and Virginia. Then the next step will be passing NC State...then holding that spot right below FSU and Clemson. Which that is where you guys were Bobby's first 3 years...given enough time and patience...I can easily see Satterfield getting to that point.

Reactions: The-Hack
Recruiting is important within your conference. That is your competition. The tendency is to compare Louisville and Kentucky. UK has had better classes more often then not. The SEC, outside of Vandy, helps the every team in the conference recruiting wise.

Satterfield has to recruit better than everyone in their division except FSU and Clemson. That isn't a tall task in the ACC. He does that then he is going to be fine. If he struggles to out recruit Wake, Virginia, Boston College, Syracuse and even NC State that is a problem. Right now we just don't know how good the staff is at recruiting only time will tell.

Wake up?

He just inherited a 2-10 team. A team who was telling last years recruits to go elsewhere.

Give the guy a break. Everybody was giddy when “Cort” came back. Recruiting was going to rock we said. But 2-10 is a hard number to dance to.

I think these guys will be fine....once they show kids what they can do. W

BTW, when the wheels come off at uk, as they always do, they may not get any of those guys.

Agreed … Stoops will prove what type of coach he has become and what type program he has built this coming year. If the wheels fall off then his 10 win season won't mean much and he will lose those recruits.

Agreed … Stoops will prove what type of coach he has become and what type program he has built this coming year. If the wheels fall off then his 10 win season won't mean much and he will lose those recruits.

This years schedule is pretty favorable. I don't see 9-10 wins but 7-8 is doable.

I mean I don't think the wheels fall off...he's shown progress every year...hasn't gone back in record. Now of course we aren't expecting 9-10 wins every year...but I think he's shown he can recruit and develop at a level to keep us competitive...and also attract a good staff. QB development has been an issue since Neal Brown left...I'd like to see that improve with Terry Wilson because he has a lot of raw talent...big arm and crazy speed...just needs to put it together.

The schedule sets us up for at least 6 wins next year(4 NC + Vandy & Arkansas)....then you have toss-up games with Mizzou, SC, Miss State, and UT. The embarrassing Florida streak is over...but UGA and Florida will be longshots as always...but I think there's at least belief in the kids that they won't get beat when they get off the bus.

The big thing for Stoops is that the players really do love him and play hard for him....which I see that trait in Satterfield as well...you guys saw what it was like when kids didn't want to play for a coach...I think your admin did their due diligence and got the fit they wanted and didn't chase the prized Brohm in a bidding war.

The Rogers kid may not be a 5-star DEFENSIVE lineman. That's evidently not where the major programs recruited him, but where the slapd!cks promised he could play. Not to mention, they lost their D coordinator who delivered their best defense in years.

I think I'll let the cake bake...

Ranked # 1 in the state of Michigan and #10 nationally? How did he get out of that state for UK?
Follow the money comes to mind. UK really is trying to follow in BB's foot steps. If this commit sticks, well I don't know what is next....maybe pigs will start flying.

Reactions: indy35
Give UK credit they have taken thr Louisville baseball recruiting approach and have gotten really good players from the North. The have a good recruiting connection in that part of the country. The SEC is the conference kids want to play in that much is clear.

Ranked # 1 in the state of Michigan and #10 nationally? How did he get out of that state for UK?
Follow the money comes to mind. UK really is trying to follow in BB's foot steps. If this commit sticks, well I don't know what is next....maybe pigs will start flying.

UK was the first school to offer him a scholly in 8th grade.

I'll give it to the UK staff, they do a great job of building relationships.

Great a freakin’ thread for Ky fans to invade. Why? Oh why? Who give a $==t!!

I have season tickets to UL football games. Two sets of them actually. My brother is a UL grad. My wife is a UL grad.

So, I keep tabs on UL sports.

Sorry if that upsets you.

Love the HC hire, btw.

The Rogers kid may not be a 5-star DEFENSIVE lineman. That's evidently not where the major programs recruited him, but where the slapd!cks promised he could play. Not to mention, they lost their D coordinator who delivered their best defense in years.

I think I'll let the cake bake...

Rivals head of recruiting said Roger's is a 5 star on either LOS. He also participated in the last elite camp he went to solely as a DT and dominated. And he played DE and Linebacker some for his school. He's built perfectly for a DT. think he'll do just fine on the Dline.
Defense will be fine. Stoops was a great DCood at Arizona and then national champion FSU. its wishful thinking that our D will fall off a cliff because our DCoord went to the NFL as a LB coach

Reactions: Dncmaxwell
Great a freakin’ thread for Ky fans to invade. Why? Oh why?

Alright, men, check your floatation devices, and keep your powder dry ‘till you see the front ramp drop.

We’re hittin’ ‘em on a “beach” just West of the Second Street Bridge. Ignore the bodies in the water . . . they’re taking ACC baseball pretty seriously now!!!

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Bet you will.
Rivals head of recruiting said Roger's is a 5 star on either LOS. He also participated in the last elite camp he went to solely as a DT and dominated. And he played DE and Linebacker some for his school. He's built perfectly for a DT. think he'll do just fine on the Dline.
Defense will be fine. Stoops was a great DCood at Arizona and then national champion FSU. its wishful thinking that our D will fall off a cliff because our DCoord went to the NFL as a LB coach
"What’s his position?
One reason Rogers was reportedly high on Kentucky was the Wildcats’ willingness to let him play defense. McCall found himself in a similar situation as a recruit and has thus far stuck at nose guard for the Wildcats.

Rogers is rated as an offensive guard by the recruiting services, but analysts have been high on his potential to play on either side of the ball. If the traditional powers become more open to Rogers playing defensive line as their 2020 classes are filled out, that might represent a threat to Kentucky’s hold on his commitment..."

LINK

I'm not interested in analyzing slapd!ck recruits. But this tells me how LPT landed his commitment and what legit football schools think about him...

I have season tickets to UL football games. Two sets of them actually. My brother is a UL grad. My wife is a UL grad.

So, I keep tabs on UL sports.

Sorry if that upsets you.

Love the HC hire, btw.

I don’t really give a crap. :D

Alright, men, check your floatation devices, and keep your powder dry ‘till you see the front ramp drop.

We’re hittin’ ‘em on a “beach” just West of the Second Street Bridge. Ignore the bodies in the water . . . they’re taking ACC baseball pretty seriously now!!!

Huh?

LOL

The kid got paid. Everybody at real programs knows this. Nobody cares because he’s going to UK where he won’t matter.

"What’s his position?
One reason Rogers was reportedly high on Kentucky was the Wildcats’ willingness to let him play defense. McCall found himself in a similar situation as a recruit and has thus far stuck at nose guard for the Wildcats.

Rogers is rated as an offensive guard by the recruiting services, but analysts have been high on his potential to play on either side of the ball. If the traditional powers become more open to Rogers playing defensive line as their 2020 classes are filled out, that might represent a threat to Kentucky’s hold on his commitment..."

LINK

I'm not interested in analyzing slapd!ck recruits. But this tells me how LPT landed his commitment and what legit football schools think about him...

LPT....lol. you lost by 50 last year dude. :) delusional

They always flourish this time of the year, decommits will happen like always. Signing day is a LONG way away. And since you’re so concerned about the five star, Kentucky offered to let him play defense where he’s probably around a three star talent according to several analysts.

What analysts said he was a 3*?

They always flourish this time of the year, decommits will happen like always. Signing day is a LONG way away. And since you’re so concerned about the five star, Kentucky offered to let him play defense where he’s probably around a three star talent according to several analysts.

Literally nobody has said that.

I mean, I get that it stings, but making stuff up isnt going to dull the pain. Or maybe it will?

Either way, at this point, I'm just happy UK is even able to garner interest from a 5*, especially from out of state, let alone land a commitment. Guy is probably the highest rated recruit to ever commit to UK. We used to be ecstatic with 3* kids, trying to justify that they were under the radar. Some were (Randall Cobb, Josh Allen, Benny Snell), most weren't.

Weve come a long way from the Joker days, for sure.

What analysts said he was a 3*?
Kentucky was the only school recruiting him for defense, NOBODY else. I’m not going to knock a kid that I’ve never seen, but if he’s really a great player, he will NOT go to Lexington. Kentucky has studs commit every spring, most change their decisions before signing day.

....nothing in this post is not true either.

Literally nobody has said that.

I mean, I get that it stings, but making stuff up isnt going to dull the pain. Or maybe it will?

Either way, at this point, I'm just happy UK is even able to garner interest from a 5*, especially from out of state, let alone land a commitment. Guy is probably the highest rated recruit to ever commit to UK. We used to be ecstatic with 3* kids, trying to justify that they were under the radar. Some were (Randall Cobb, Josh Allen, Benny Snell), most weren't.

Weve come a long way from the Joker days, for sure.
Kentucky football is never a “pain” to me, it’s funny that you believe that.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Kentucky was the only school recruiting him for defense, NOBODY else. I’m not going to knock a kid that I’ve never seen, but if he’s really a great player, he will NOT go to Lexington. Kentucky has studs commit every spring, most change their decisions before signing day.

....nothing in this post is not true either.

So, nobody said that?

https://n.rivals.com/news/analysis-kentucky-commit-justin-rogers-a-five-star-on-both-sides

That's all you had to say, was nobody said it. But you're probably right... I'd say he flips to UGA before signing day.

Still, it's fun to even be able to garner attention of 5* prospects. Dont think UK has ever had one.

Kentucky football is never a “pain” to me, it’s funny that you believe that.

Well UL was a pain when they were beating UK by 50. Anytime UK lost by 50 (and there were A LOT of games) was a pain to me. Perhaps I'm just more passionate about the game.

ADVERTISEMENT