ADVERTISEMENT

I am thinking of cutting off my cable/dish provider...anyone with experience streaming

No.1Cardfan

2000+
Nov 20, 2001
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...-death-watch-q2-cord-cutting-soars-to-566000/

from Netflix or.... perhaps the technology isnt quite there. 380,000 cut their cable in the first 3 months this year and another 560k? did in the next 3 months... thats almost a million that have cut off the fat cow. Will I lose all my favorite sports or is it available through other streaming sources...methinks not yet... sports will be the last to get this option....

I used SlingTV for the last couple of months of college basketball season last year. It's not the greatest at broadcasting live events. It goes down and has to be reset periodically, and on rare occasion doesn't work at all.

If you live and die for every second of the games, this is not the solution for you. If you're looking to be cheap and still have a good taste of games most of the time, it may be a good solution.

I wish they had a "tivo" type option, where you could watch the games from a recording instead of live broadcast.

Still, for the price it's much better than cable. I'm going to add on the $5 sports package to get ESPNU, SEC Network and a few others. It also already has WatchESPN/ESPN3. And if you're on SlingTV you can access games through ESPN's interface, which is superior to SlingTV.

You'll also want to get a digital antenna to pick up local channels.

Thanks for all the good info and thought starters. It would be nice to breakaway from ESPN and HGTV etc as their agendas grow old and it's too high for what you get. 4 or 5 watchable channels out of hundreds.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...-death-watch-q2-cord-cutting-soars-to-566000/

from Netflix or.... perhaps the technology isnt quite there. 380,000 cut their cable in the first 3 months this year and another 560k? did in the next 3 months... thats almost a million that have cut off the fat cow. Will I lose all my favorite sports or is it available through other streaming sources...methinks not yet... sports will be the last to get this option....

The answer to your cable availability vs. streaming availability question is "Not all, but mostly, especially if you can occasionally be happy with delays". For example, in the old days I'd watch football all day on cable. Now, I watch 1-2 relevant games (depending on whether we have a home game, of course), and then over the course of the weekdays I go back and catch _universally free_ ESPN replays and such. as other posters have noted, if you have to have your way in all things as they happen, I advise you stick with cable, if not, then there is still a lot of content going and all content going in replay (more or less...some SEC games are excepted). Hope that helps! If you're going to follow the recommendations on Sling (and there are a few other for-pay options) you'd be mostly all set. I prefer to go without the for-pay streams. Also, don't forget there are a ton of broadcast options on Saturdays on 3, 11, 32, and 41. Go Cards!

Reactions: No.1Cardfan
Broadcast TV + Watch ESPN, it's a wonder anyone can ever figure that out.
What is complicated is figuring out when/where ESPN and the other broadcasters will blackout a game. I live in northern KY and their coverage maps have been off many times for BB in the last two seasons. Leaves you scrambling to find a streaming feed that actually works and is worth watching.

Reactions: tkdcoach
What is complicated is figuring out when/where ESPN and the other broadcasters will blackout a game. I live in northern KY and their coverage maps have been off many times for BB in the last two seasons. Leaves you scrambling to find a streaming feed that actually works and is worth watching.

In my case, helps that I went to a football school! I hear we have a decent basketball team but am not real sure. ;-P That is to say, far fewer blackouts (kidding about the football school...we are an ALL-Sports juggernaut). Go Cards!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT