ADVERTISEMENT

HVL shooting 4 shots per game

beauxregard2

No-Ranking Prospect
Oct 22, 2016
I first want to say I love our coaching staff and think they are great. That said, Hailey only shooting ONLY 4 shots in any game during the tourney is very very bad coaching!!!! Its absolutely ridiculous. This team needs to have a handful of plays that directs HVL to get shots. I believe we still have the talent to win it all, but we have NO shot unless the coaching is a helluva lot better than it has been the last two games. Please Jeff learn from your mistakes and fix it. Coach to get HVL 10-12 shots and remove the bull's eye somewhat off Dana's back and let her be an All American!!!!!

Last edited:
Easy there. She got two early fouls and had to sit. She scored 13 points. All good.
Granted, however she should have been coached to get more shots yesterday as well. I wouldnt bitch if this was a one game issue!!!! Its OBVIOUS Jeff needs to design plays to get HVL more shots!!!

Sometimes you have to work yourself open to get a shot too. The passing the last two games has been less than desirable and that hinders getting open shots

Sometimes you have to work yourself open to get a shot too. The passing the last two games has been less than desirable and that hinders getting open shots
Agreed however HVL has moved without the ball fantastically the last half of the season. I am not paid to coach so when a simple coaching change that the stats show will pay major dividends immediately and I see it, but its not being made, makes me damn concerned!!!!

HVL has missed only 4 shots in the tourney. Three of those misses were behind the 3 point line where she is shooting above 57%. Really do not understand any pushback from Cards fans because its crystal clear she needs to be shooting 3 or 4 times more shots than she is thus far!!!! She could be shooting 10% les than her current rate and every true Card fan would be ecstatic!!!!! Its simple Jeff needs to get his best shooter on the team RIGHT NOW more shots against Oregon. Push back as much as you want just the TRUTH!!!!

HVL has missed only 4 shots in the tourney. Three of those misses were behind the 3 point line where she is shooting above 57%. Really do not understand any pushback for Cards fans because its crystal clear she needs to be shooting 3 or 4 times more shots than she is thus far!!!!
Listen, I am Team HVL. In fact, when it’s clutch time, I’d rather she, not Dana, take the big shot. But, you know, game plans change, circumstances change. HVL is integral whether she scores or not. Her time will come. This will be her team for next 3 years.

Listen, I am Team HVL. In fact, when it’s clutch time, I’d rather she, not Dana, take the big shot. But, you know, game plans change, circumstances change. HVL is integral whether she scores or not. Her time will come. This will be her team for next 3 years.
She is currently shooting 57% behind the 3 and better than that in overall shooting. She needs plays specifically designed for her. Whether she gets an open shot or has to make a play for someone else I have faith HVL will make the right decision. She is our best option right now!!!

She is currently shooting 57% behind the 3 and better than that in overall shooting. She needs plays specifically designed for her. Whether she gets an open shot or has to make a play for someone else I have faith HVL will make the right decision. She is our best option right now!!!
You’re preaching to the choir. It’s not about individuals right now, though. Win and advance as a team. #1 priority.

You’re preaching to the choir. It’s not about individuals right now, though. Win and advance as a team. #1 priority.
Sorry but I disagree!!! The top priority is to win!!!! Coach your team and put them in the most optimal position to win. Right now that means ensure, for the sake of the team, that HVL gets more shots than she has the last two games. Its amazing you criticize the absolute and extreme obvious. You continue to be critical and then say I am preaching to the choir. Not sure you understand "what preaching to the choir" means!!!! Jeff needs to get HVL more shots I am just stating the TRUTH!!!! THE END!!!!

Most of the shots, and dribbling are given to Dana. It's a mirror of men's game with Carlik. However, by doing so you allow opposition to concentrate on her. Team stands around waiting for her to shoot.

I agree rh62531, the only complaints I had about the game tonight was lack of movement by the players. It was especially obvious anytime we went to inbound the ball, nobody was moving you would see one player trying to get away from a defender and everyone else standing still. The other complaint was why did it take so long to change our defense when what we were doing wasn’t working.

I think someone is really upset with the number of shots HVL is getting. She did have a really good game vs Marist. I think she is playing well and has found her eay after slumping a bit. Did she get many opportunities tonight? No. But, that doesn’t seem to be a reason to come on here and get rather aggressive with other Cardinals supporters. You have a right to your opinion like everyone else; but, getting defensive and aggressive about it is silly.

Reactions: CardsRuleTheWorld
I think someone is really upset with the number of shots HVL is getting. She did have a really good game vs Marist. I think she is playing well and has found her eay after slumping a bit. Did she get many opportunities tonight? No. But, that doesn’t seem to be a reason to come on here and get rather aggressive with other Cardinals supporters. You have a right to your opinion like everyone else; but, getting defensive and aggressive about it is silly.
I honestly think it’s HVL’s mom or dad. All good, though.

I think HVL is playing within her game and just doing what is available to her. Right now there is no mental pressure on her it is all on Dana. She was more focused on getting the ball to the open players. She had a good game but the thing that impressed me about her game last night was she didn’t take any bad shots.

Reactions: Guardman
I think this person hasn’t been following the team all year. There was a stretch of 3-4 games where it seemed that HVL had hit the FR wall. She was 3-13 I think against ND. But she figured it out. Now we got to get Dana back in groove.

Most of the shots, and dribbling are given to Dana. It's a mirror of men's game with Carlik. However, by doing so you allow opposition to concentrate on her. Team stands around waiting for her to shoot.
That hasn’t been true over the last several games. As a matter of fact Dana has been benched while must of our runs have taken place.

Reactions: rh62531
I first want to say I love our coaching staff and think they are great. That said, Hailey only shooting ONLY 4 shots in any game during the tourney is very very bad coaching!!!! Its absolutely ridiculous. This team needs to have a handful of plays that directs HVL to get shots. I believe we still have the talent to win it all, but we have NO shot unless the coaching is a helluva lot better than it has been the last two games. Please Jeff learn from your mistakes and fix it. Coach to get HVL 10-12 shots and remove the bull's eye somewhat off Dana's back and let her be an All American!!!!!
Lol. Very strange take. HVL moves with the ball has assists one of the top rebounders and shoots when she has a shot. Had 17 against Marist. Yesterday was Kianna’s, Cochran’s, and Dana’s day. That’s how this team needs to roll. That’s what makes us dangerous you never know whose going to step up. We get in trouble when we rely on one player. Share the wealth. Bad coaching my a$$. Bad take yes.

This is Dana’s team - we know this. Yet, they know they all need to contribute and can contribute. HVL is super talented and she will get het shots. A little hard at times to just feed one person.

HVL had 13 points yesterday. Maybe only 4 shots but 13 points is a pretty good contribution. We had balance scoring between the starters yesterday. And it can get better.

Sorry but I disagree!!! The top priority is to win!!!! Coach your team and put them in the most optimal position to win. Right now that means ensure, for the sake of the team, that HVL gets more shots than she has the last two games. Its amazing you criticize the absolute and extreme obvious. You continue to be critical and then say I am preaching to the choir. Not sure you understand "what preaching to the choir" means!!!! Jeff needs to get HVL more shots I am just stating the TRUTH!!!! THE END!!!!

I don't think you're reading what I'm typing. I said the top priority is to win. I'm not criticizing. I'm praising HVL. I'm not being critical. You keep saying HVL this and HVL that, and I'm agreeing with you. But, in your mind, I'm debating with you. Relax.

For us to have the best chance to win HVL needs to shoot the ball more because she hits her shots at a higher % than anyone else on the team right now. HVL's 13 points should have been 20+. As a huge fan of this team why would I want to give up 7+ more points a game when the obvious, smart coaching move would be for Jeff to get Hailey more shots!!!! This is the simple TRUTH.

HVL had 13 points yesterday. Maybe only 4 shots but 13 points is a pretty good contribution. We had balance scoring between the starters yesterday. And it can get better.
When one player is shooting and scoring better and more efficiently then anyone else on the team scoring balance is not important.

Rather have HVL take the shot over Dana? Maybe right now but throughout the season Dana made the clutch shots. If not for Dana we don’t win the ACC regular season. We definitely don’t beat WF the first time. I think most who follow the WBB would disagree with this. Dana no doubt is in a slump, but HVL went through her own slump mid season and only broke out during the ACC tournament. And HVL. Is mature enough to point that fact out and she has.

Rather have HVL take the shot over Dana? Maybe right now but throughout the season Dana made the clutch shots. If not for Dana we don’t win the ACC regular season. We definitely don’t beat WF the first time. I think most who follow the WBB would disagree with this. Dana no doubt is in a slump, but HVL went through her own slump mid season and only broke out during the ACC tournament. And HVL. Is mature enough to point that fact out and she has.
If it's a case of driving to the basket; Dana. If it's a 3 point shot; HVL.

She gets her shots. So do the other players on the court. There have been games where HVL has shot more often. As I said...you have to be open. To me, she took good shots and did not force her game. She was doing that a few games ago - putting up bad shots, rushing herself, etc. if she has a good shot she will take it (and she should).

Reactions: CardsFirst
If it's a case of driving to the basket; Dana. If it's a 3 point shot; HVL.
Lately I would agree during the season not so much. Don’t get me wrong HVL will be super star, but Dana has been a two time ACC player of the year for a reason.

She gets her shots. So do the other players on the court. There have been games where HVL has shot more often. As I said...you have to be open. To me, she took good shots and did not force her game. She was doing that a few games ago - putting up bad shots, rushing herself, etc. if she has a good shot she will take it (and she should).
HVL is shooting over 57% behind the three point line and better overall and shot 4 shots yesterday. You believe she is getting "her shots", which implies its the optimum amount. PLEASE STOP!!!!! Jeff needs to ensure HVL gets more shots in the next game/s or we will LOSE. That may satisfy you, but it wont me and I doubt many of our current players or fans. GO CARDS!!!!!

Actually HVL is shooting just under 40% from three and Dana is shooting over 33% from three. HVL is shooting .433 overall and Dana is at .425. Those are season stats. You’re looking at two games. I don’t think Coach Walz will alter his game plan based on two games. Instead he’ll likely look at the next opponent’s strengths and weaknesses and try to utilize all his players to counter the strengths and exploit the weaknesses. He’s been doing that rather successfully for a long time.

I like team ball most of all and we look at our best when we are passing the ball around looking for an open shot. We look at our worst when we start playing hero ball. HVL played great team ball last night and only took good shots. She was more interested in finding the open shooter.

Reactions: fredburgcard
I like team ball most of all and we look at our best when we are passing the ball around looking for an open shot. We look at our worst when we start playing hero ball. HVL played great team ball last night and only took good shots. She was more interested in finding the open shooter.

Koz - To use your handle once “Again” I agree with your analysis. When our young women play team ball they are bordering on being unbeatable.

What HVL was smart enough to recognize about yesterday’s game was that the strength of Northwestern’s team was in its great, tall guards who are great defenders. So she executed the offense correctly by getting the ball inside to Cochran and Dixon.

The problem I saw with our offense in the first half was that Northwestern was being very physical (fouling us, to be honest), and the baseline official on that end of the court was not calling anything. In the second half, those same plays were there, and when Northwestern would hack us, Northwestern was getting called for the foul.

What HVL was smart enough to recognize about yesterday’s game was that the strength of Northwestern’s team was in its great, tall guards who are great defenders. So she executed the offense correctly by getting the ball inside to Cochran and Dixon.

The problem I saw with our offense in the first half was that Northwestern was being very physical (fouling us, to be honest), and the baseline official on that end of the court was not calling anything. In the second half, those same plays were there, and when Northwestern would hack us, Northwestern was getting called for the foul.
Part of our come back was the refs starting to call fouls on NW, fouls they didn’t call in the first half. It that shouldn’t surprise any of us who follow WBB. Refs are horrible.

I like team ball as well. A large part of team ball is finding who is playing the best at the time and using that to serve the team!!! Doesnt matter, because Dana is now playing and shooting great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT