ADVERTISEMENT

Huge News - ACC Network

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
ACC network by 2018. Grant of rights until 2036. ND has to join ACC if it joins a conference for football before 2036.

This is big.

Reactions: Mayoman
What great news! We won't have to worry about this league for a generation. The ACC is set. WVU fans have to be upset right now. Too bad. :)

It's gonna also mean mo' money. The tiger jackwagon that's now MIA again can start linking articles on how many more millions per ACC school will result.

And to think I lost all that sleep worried about the imminent expiration of the GOR, the implosion of the conference, and how much more money we would have made staying in the AAC. Maybe I'll be smarter next time.

:rolleyes:

I wonder what the amount that Louisville will get from the ACCN? For example UK got like $31.2 million for the SECN..

It's gonna also mean mo' money. The tiger jackwagon that's now MIA again can start linking articles on how many more millions per ACC school will result.

And to think I lost all that sleep worried about the imminent expiration of the GOR, the implosion of the conference, and how much more money we would have made staying in the AAC. Maybe I'll be smarter next time.

No, you won't be smarter. I was right about that other discussion, and I was right about this too.

It means the BIG and SEC CAN'T Expand into Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina or Virginia now...They ARE STUCK with AAC, B-12, C-USA and MAC Teams for Expansion Teams...It's only a matter of time before the B-12 is D-E-A-D!!!

The BIg has four teams they are down to...Connecticut, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas!!!

The SEC is down to Houston, a Oklahoma School and West Virginia...Don't see them wanting SMALL private schools like Baylor, SMU or TCU!!!

The PAC is down to the Oklahoma Schools, Texas and Texas Tech...OR...Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech...Which makes more sense since it adds four Mid-Western States to their footprint, and ties Arizona, Colorado and Utah together!!!

The ACC...WELL...Notre Dame and Texas FULL TIME...WOULD...BE...EPIC!!!

Short of Texas, theres always Cincinnati, Connecticut and/or Houston???

IMHO, Baylor, BYU and TCU are MWC Bound!!!

:cool:

It means the BIG and SEC CAN'T Expand into Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina or Virginia now...They ARE STUCK with AAC, B-12, C-USA and MAC Teams for Expansion Teams...It's only a matter of time before the B-12 is D-E-A-D!!!

The BIg has four teams they are down to...Connecticut, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas!!!

The SEC is down to Houston, a Oklahoma School and West Virginia...Don't see them wanting SMALL private schools like Baylor, SMU or TCU!!!

The PAC is down to the Oklahoma Schools, Texas and Texas Tech...OR...Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech...Which makes more sense since it adds four Mid-Western States to their footprint, and ties Arizona, Colorado and Utah together!!!

It's my opinion that if the B12 implodes (or explodes), that Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State will all go together wherever they may end up. I won't predict where they end up, but those 3 seemed to be joined at the hip.

It's my opinion that if the B12 implodes (or explodes), that Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State will all go together wherever they may end up. I won't predict where they end up, but those 3 seemed to be joined at the hip.

That sounds logical, but from an emotional angle I think Oklahoma (like everyone else) is sick of Texas. I'd look for Oklahoma to flee to the Big Ten to reunite with old foe Nebraska. Or, they can go to the SEC and resume rivalries with Missouri and Texas A&M. Texas might end up ruling over a very inconsequential small school league or going independent like Notre Dame.

If there's a true Big XII implosion, it will be every school for itself. And there won't be any school this side of Texas and Oklahoma setting terms for joining up. A school like Oklahoma State will be in the water grasping for a life raft...

Maybe not, but you still won't be the a$$hat educating me...

Get over yourself. I was right about the Big Ten's contract, and I was right about the ACC getting a network. You have this need to start arguments for no reason, even when you are proven wrong.

Reactions: nccardfan

The PAC is the ONLY place they could end up together if they ARE tied at the hip!!!

If there's a true Big XII implosion, it will be every school for itself. And there won't be any school this side of Texas and Oklahoma setting terms for joining up. A school like Oklahoma State will be in the water grasping for a life raft...
Oklahoma State isn't hurting at all regardless. Boone T Pickens gave the Cowboys a 1 billion dollar donation (strictly for the athletic department from my understanding). They'll be fine for some time with that kind of coin.

The Big 12-2 announced today (coincidence?) that they will expand by up to 4 teams...

If the Big 12-2 decides to add Cincinnati, Memphis, BYU and UNLV (if Raiders build dome) or Colorado State it may stabilize the Conference. It will be a huge conference stretching from Morgantown to possibly Vegas and Ames to Austin. I really don't think they will want to take one of the Florida directional schools.

If it implodes then schools like Iowa State, K-State and West Virginny may be the newest additions the the American Athletic.

Reactions: American Male

Show me da money...SHOW ME DA MONEY!
;)

Reactions: 65bird
I wonder what the amount that Louisville will get from the ACCN? For example UK got like $31.2 million for the SECN..

Articles linked above say its about $7.5 million for the SEC Network and the B1G Network per school and your figure is total distribution to the Cayuts from the SEC with all sources of revenue distribution included. Compare that to estimates in 2 articles above for the ACC being at between $5 million and $8 million in a best case scenario. I found the business data about varying sources of revenue to be very interesting. Others would rather watch paint dry. What all should know is nothing is guaranteed but rather a partnership of the league and ESPN. So the all ACC schools will be promoting online purchases to its alumni around the world. The new thing about this deal is more of it will be online than on broadcast. So subscribers now that are on UoL's site will be directed to ACC sites for about the same amount of money. Probably an annual fee of somewhere from $15 to 20 dollars if you have ESPN service through another provider. But we will see how this works with a Netflix monthly or annual membership online as Howie and Matt have been talking about.

My guess is the online content bought without ESPN through cable or satellite with be a big part if it is successful.

Last edited:
Well let's say the average per school is on the low end of projections...IIRC last year ACC schools averaged about $26.5 million with everything included. Let's add $3 million per school which gets us to roughly $29.5 M per. IMFAO it's going to be close enough to make any "our check is bigger than your check" an exercise for the truly dense.

It will depend on the success of the networks. Simply having a network doesn't guarantee that the payouts will be similar enough to prevent expansion from affecting the ACC. The SEC payouts are projected to reach $50 million in the coming years. If that happens in not sure that it matters who the SEC asks to join, they will. If the SEC and B1G networks plateau and the ACC network is successful enough to match or nearly match the other networks then you're right it will be the Big 12 that the other confetemces poach and the ACC will remain intact

It will depend on the success of the networks. Simply having a network doesn't guarantee that the payouts will be similar enough to prevent expansion from affecting the ACC. The SEC payouts are projected to reach $50 million in the coming years. If that happens in not sure that it matters who the SEC asks to join, they will...
If the GOR withstands a legal challenge, it will trump everything. A liability for 20 years of media rights runs into the hundreds of millions of dollars. That will anchor everyone under such a restriction.

And if I was an LPT fan, I'd be more worried about future football revenue sharing models. The sure-fire way for Bama and Florida to increase their conference revenue is to surrender less of it to schools like LPT and Vandy. There's also nothing inequitable in that situation since the latter two schools are simply bottom feeders.

Indeed, I think that's a future dynamic in all conferences, esp. a weaker one in order to keep it together. If the Big XII is close to imploding, why not offer Texas and Oklahoma an outsized piece of the Big XII's $300+/- million pie annually? Oklahoma's not gonna care how it gets its $50 million...

And if I was an LPT fan, I'd be more worried about future football revenue sharing models. The sure-fire way for Bama and Florida to increase their conference revenue is to surrender less of it to schools like LPT and Vandy. There's also nothing inequitable in that situation since the latter two schools are simply bottom feeders.
That will never happen because:
1) There are only a few schools would benefit or vote yes
2) The goal is to improve the conference so taking money from the programs that need it the most doesn't serve that purpose. The SEC wants Vandy and UK to be better in football

2) The goal is to improve the conference so taking money from the programs that need it the most doesn't serve that purpose. The SEC wants Vandy and UK to be better in football

Really? Since when? Delusion runs rampant in that belief. Would be interested in your proving that assertion with some links or facts to support it.

When it comes to money.....zipp is right....Alabama and Florida, etc, might just decide that their portion should be much more than a couple cellar dwellers. Proportionately speaking based on value and performance.....not just membership.

Of course, uk might want more of the BB revenue brought in too.....though that would not be from an equal sized pool of revenue in my estimation of BB vs FB.

That's the perspective from a bottom feeder. It's easy to see Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Bama, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M favoring a rich-get-richer SEC revenue model. And that's half of your conference.

Also, keep in mind there's nothing like a GOR preventing SEC schools from forming a son-of-SEC conference for a ridiculous amount of money per school.

So the rest of the minnows in the SEC football pond need to make sure to keep fattening up the bass.

LPT Football: Stupes needs to go on a diet anyway...

Last edited:
"The SEC payouts are projected to reach $50 million in the coming years. If that happens in not sure that it matters who the SEC asks to join, they will."

With all due respect you have absolutely no clue how hard it would be to get any of the four NC schools to leave the ACC. UNC has been told for decades that any time we wanted to switch we would be welcome. Ask Slive. And you can also ask Slive how many times he heard "Sorry, but Hell is stiil hot".

Actually heard a comment on an LPT sports talk show tonite that, with the advent of a TV network, maybe the slappies would be better off in the ACC.

To continue the metaphor... If the big fish start eating the little ones, maybe that's an interesting idea.

LPT Football: Fish food...

Reactions: atiba and NENCHeel
Really? Since when? Delusion runs rampant in that belief. Would be interested in your proving that assertion with some links or facts to support it.

When it comes to money.....zipp is right....Alabama and Florida, etc, might just decide that their portion should be much more than a couple cellar dwellers. Proportionately speaking based on value and performance.....not just membership.

Of course, uk might want more of the BB revenue brought in too.....though that would not be from an equal sized pool of revenue in my estimation of BB vs FB.
Where is your proof that programs are interested in moving to a profit sharing model that would send less money to schools that earn less money in a sport? The motivation for going to a 9th conference game is to generate more conference revenue and to increase the strength of schedule for its members. You aren't going to help your strength of schedule if you are purposely holding back the bottom of your conference. If the SEC wants to hold onto it's place as the elite conference in college football it must do so by encouraging the bottom of the conference to make strides towards respectability.

You open an entirely different can of worms when you start talking about adjusting funding based on win-loss records for non-revenue women's sports. You're setting yourself up for a title IX lawsuit. It would be a very messy, not to mention cut throat proposal. The commissioner's job is to protect the stability/quality of the conference and that means every member. It's never going to happen

Where is your proof that programs are interested in moving to a profit sharing model that would send less money to schools that earn less money in a sport? The motivation for going to a 9th conference game is to generate more conference revenue and to increase the strength of schedule for its members. You aren't going to help your strength of schedule if you are purposely holding back the bottom of your conference. If the SEC wants to hold onto it's place as the elite conference in college football it must do so by encouraging the bottom of the conference to make strides towards respectability.

You open an entirely different can of worms when you start talking about adjusting funding based on win-loss records for non-revenue women's sports. You're setting yourself up for a title IX lawsuit. It would be a very messy, not to mention cut throat proposal. The commissioner's job is to protect the stability/quality of the conference and that means every member. It's never going to happen

10866818_G.jpg

You are on the Cardinals board......it is up to you to provide proof that supports your POV, not me. You made the assertion that needs to be validated, not me. You have only your opinion that the SEC wants uk and vandy to be strong in FB, so where is your proof other than your own opinion and not a fact you can validate.

SO, an opinion was rendered back to you.....that when the haves in the SEC get tired of pulling the FB cellar dwellers along, they might just take up a position that monetary reward should be performance related, not just membership related.

That was a predication, not a fact in evidence. I was only discussing CFB......don't know where you get anything about non-revenue women sports. Try and stay on topic. You got nothing.....and your opinion does not sway me and likely anyone else on this board.

Using the word 'never' is 'never ever' a good choice of words. I think Trump used those 2 words last night in his speech.

Your crystal ball might be clouding your judgement. Of course it is.....or why would you be a Cat fan in the first place on the Cardinals Rival board.

Reactions: American Male

When the Big XII expands, the incoming schools will receive a much smaller slice of the conference pie, at least for starters. Before you say that's what happens when a conference expands, it didn't happen when U of L joined the ACC. Translation: The more you're wanted, the better deal you're gonna get.

There's nothing set in stone that will restrict an unbalanced revenue model to NEW conference members. It can and should happen to any team siphoning off from better teams. I'd look for that to start getting serious consideration when the NCAA basketball revenue model is turned on its ear, because you'll start getting more credit financially for having a good basketball team--which will help the slapd!cks. Maybe Bama and LPT will get the same amount of money in the end, but it won't be based on generosity and fairness. One school has a basketball team that sucks; the other has a football team that sucks.

LPT Football: Thank God for basketball...

Last edited:
When the Big XII expands, the incoming schools will receive a much smaller slice of the conference pie, at least for starters. Before you say that's what happens when a conference expands, it didn't happen when U of L joined the ACC. Translation: The more you're wanted, the better deal you're gonna get.

There's nothing set in stone that will restrict an unbalanced revenue model to NEW conference members. It can and should happen to any team siphoning off from better teams. I'd look for that to start getting serious consideration when the NCAA basketball revenue model is turned on its ear, because you'll start getting more credit financially for having a good basketball team--which will help the slapd!cks. Maybe Bama and LPT will get the same amount of money in the end, but it won't be based on generosity and fairness. One school has a basketball team that sucks; the other has a football team that sucks.

LPT Football: Thank God for basketball...

The reason the new Big 12 schools will get less money is because of the pro rata clause in the Big 12 TV contract. Per that clause, the Big 12's contract increases proportionally so the payouts will stay the same. In other words, if the TV contract pays $20 million per team now, it will go up enough so that everybody still gets $20 million. The catch is, it doesn't go up for a net increase. This is because when Nebraska and Colorado left, ESPN and Fox agreed not to void the Big 12 contract, and the pro rata clause was the catch. What the Big 12 is going to do is only give the new teams a small share, and distribute the remainder to the current members.

The guy is correct, that the conferences aren't considering changing the revenue-sharing model. There simply isn't evidence of that. Even with the Big 12 scenario, that's only due to the pro rata clause, and they aren't going to apply it to current members.

...What the Big 12 is going to do is only give the new teams a small share, and distribute the remainder to the current members...
That's a conference DECISION based on how much the incoming teams are wanted, and it's exactly what I said. If Notre Dame was involved, they'd be getting a full share. The media contract does not stipulate who gets what, just what the total is and how that's calculated. If the Big XII wants to give every nickel to Texas and Oklahoma, there's not a damn thing anyone else can do about it.

Now, start another bull$hit argument that you're renowned for...

That's a conference DECISION based on how much the incoming teams are wanted, and it's exactly what I said. If Notre Dame was involved, they'd be getting a full share. The media contract does not stipulate who gets what, just what the total is and how that's calculated. If the Big XII wants to give every nickel to Texas and Oklahoma, there's not a damn thing anyone else can do about it.

Now, start another bull$hit argument that you're renowned for...

That's not the point. You were speculating that conferences like the SEC might do that to schools like Vanderbilt and Kentucky. There simply isn't evidence they are even considering that.

That's not the point. You were speculating that conferences like the SEC might do that to schools like Vanderbilt and Kentucky. There simply isn't evidence they are even considering that.
That has never been a conversation had by anyone in power with any conference that I'm aware of. UL fans like to fanaticize about the situation because UK fans brag about the TV contract money that the SEC network creates. So the response to those people is usually something about UK not earning it's share or being a charity case. That response evolved into a profit sharing model whereby UK gets less money or gets kicked out of the SEC. Neither are ever going to happen but we're on a message board so none of this matters anyway

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT