ADVERTISEMENT

How concerned are you about the season being cancelled?

How concerned are you about the season being cancelled?

• Extremely Concerned

Votes: 44 59.5%
  • Slightly Concerned

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Not Concerned

Votes: 10 13.5%

• Total voters
You are correct. Testing is only part of the strategy. Social Distancing (stay at home) + testing + vaccine = strategy. However because we have no vaccine it has to be done in phases.

as you know, data ala stats are only as good as to what they are intended or used for. Testing would have probably limited the outbreaks in nursing homes and senior facilities. Testing is also good because as we are now finding out, just because you have had the virus does not mean you can’t get it again. Finally, maybe the most important is that you may be a carrier without any symptoms so you wouldn’t even know you had the virus without a test.
My sister in Florida believes her and her husband may have had it already. Who knows whether they infected someone else as they went on their daily lives.

This is the part I read that gets at the actual strategy(-ies)...

"It's crucial of course to help treat, isolate or hospitalize people who are infected. Testing also is important in the bigger public health picture on mitigation efforts, helping investigators characterize the prevalence, spread and contagiousness of the disease..."

The second sentence is what I was alluding to as a 2nd potential strategy, characterizing a broad population. That's a classical sampling approach. Again, that doesn't protect INDIVIDUALS from the virus.

And I don't really understand the efficacy of the first sentence quoted--"isolate"--unless tests are administered almost everywhere at all times. How feasible is that? People are hospitalized because of their symptoms and reactions to the virus, not because they test positive.

Bottom line is you can test negative today, and unless everyone you contact tomorrow has also tested negative, you could get the virus from one of them tomorrow. If that's your goal with testing, in my opinion, you have a lot of work ahead of you...

and will leave it up to the governors of each state
Who INSIST on the right to do it. They all want to “run their State”...until they can’t, or won’t, and then it’s somebody else’s fault/problem.

States rights anybody?

And, if the current administration doesn’t let the Governors “make or break” he’s said to want to be King. There is no winning.

The average billionaire would have told everyone to KMA by now and be in the islands somewhere.

At least he’s not feeling our pain on the golf course.

At this point, I’m expecting to see everything back open by Labor Day. But I do expect many more empty seats at sporting events than we’ve ever seen before.

I anticipate widespread testing by then, and a vaccine to be nearing completion of human trials by that point.

And the biggest question that college football’s major conferences will need to consider over this summer is whether delaying the start of the football season until January will result in bigger crowds and therefore more revenue for the 2020-21 school year. It might, even though it would run concurrently with basketball.

For the universities they have to guarantee their campus is safe for the students. That is impossible without testing. The faster this happens the better. It is kind of the bridge until the vaccine is developed.

There can never be a guarantee - there is no way any enterprise can eliminate all risk of ________. Trying to do so causes alot of harm, as currently being witnessed

Who INSIST on the right to do it. They all want to “run their State”...until they can’t, or won’t, and then it’s somebody else’s fault/problem.

States rights anybody?

And, if the current administration doesn’t let the Governors “make or break” he’s said to want to be King. There is no winning.

The average billionaire would have told everyone to KMA by now and be in the islands somewhere.

At least he’s not feeling our pain on the golf course.
States didn’t insist on it. The Feds bailed on them and said every man for themselves in securing PPE and testing.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
I anticipate widespread testing by then, and a vaccine to be nearing completion of human trials by that point.

There isn't going to be a vaccine by the fall more than likely. Widespread testing? Doubtful.

Nothing wrong with optimism though just sharing opinions!

There isn't going to be a vaccine by the fall more than likely. Widespread testing? Doubtful.

Nothing wrong with optimism though just sharing opinions!

“The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...pe/coronavirus-vaccine-update-oxford.amp.html

widespread human trials (6000 people) are going on right now, with results expected by the end of May.

I think we have to give up on the idea of no one becoming infected or no one getting sick. That’s going to happen. We have to build a strategy around not overwhelming ICUs in hospitals. To do that, it would be best to have a vaccine ( it may be closer than we think!) or a treatment applied ( many will be coming to market, including one developed at UofL) early in the disease course. The question is, will any of that be widely available by September?

“The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...pe/coronavirus-vaccine-update-oxford.amp.html

widespread human trials (6000 people) are going on right now, with results expected by the end of May.

your quote post includes a key point... "if it proves to be effective"

https://www.deseret.com/indepth/202...-covid-19-mrna-dna-barry-bloom-paul-offit-fda

This is an interesting article that outlines setbacks, and then quite a bit goes into "next steps" if a successful vaccine is found.

I want to come back to this thread in September and say "they did it!"

I think the reality is, it ain't looking good. But it's still a way to go.

NCAA making their position clear...
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-presi...rts-without-students-on-campus-162457332.html

I also don't understand this optimism about a vaccine getting everyone and everything back to normal quickly. We don't even have a reliable flu vaccine...

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I also don't understand this optimism about a vaccine getting everyone and everything back to normal quickly. We don't even have a reliable flu vaccine...

Well first, some of us are optimist and then there is you.:p Second, there is a reliable flu shot. I get one every year and I’ve been “fluless” for many years. :) And, NO, that does’t mean “clueless” either.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Well first, some of us are optimist and then there is you.:p Second, there is a reliable flu shot. I get one every year and I’ve been “fluless” for many years. :) And, NO, that does’t mean “clueless” either...
Plenty of people regularly get the flu shot and get the flu anyway because "vaccine" is a misnomer. Hell, some believe that the shot can GIVE you the flu!

My guess is you and I--I seldom get the flu too--stay away from people who carry it around more. I take a lotta vitamins and nutritional supplements, but there's no substitute for keeping away from others who may infect you...

Not exactly the subject of this thread, but I'm curious what season ticket holders plan to do this year as far as buying tickets (or not).

I usually pay in a lump sum just prior to the deadline. This year, I plan to pay on the six-month installment plan and wait to see what the schedule is actually going to be if games are played. If the start of the season is delayed until the middle of winter, I'm asking for a refund on whatever money has been paid.

That would mean games in multiple sports including basketball would be on top of each other. And compounded by the weather, it won't be a problem getting football tickets for any game you choose.

The only other issue was the parking situation and whether "Vince" was messing with that in the Bronze Lot this year. I've heard that the ticket office is telling people that existing parking assignments won't change unless you want to change. Who knows if that's the truth?...

None of the “experts” have been right on any projections or models.

No reason to think any of this comes to pass

I believe to “control” the spread of covid19 we should, indeed must, follow social distancing and mask guidelines. If we DO those things then perhaps we will ensure a football season this coming fall.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

I don’t think there will be a football season this year and that is disappointing. I am hoping for basketball but who knows at this point. Wait and see they will come out with a vaccine or treatment after the election, it will be considered a miracle.

If there is no football I will not be surprised if many schools do away with NCAA athletics. Completely.

There will be no money for T9 compliance so they’ll fold the tent and become “Academic schools”. :p

every company in the world trying to create a vaccine says the same thing. they all make millions of doses ahead of time and hope their vaccine works first and they win the jackpot. no vaccine will be available before spring, period. they won't give emergency approval as side effects take time to show up and last thing you want is putting forth a vaccine that in three years gives everyone brain damage. hence the quickest a vaccine has ever come to market is four years i think so having one in less than 12 months would shatter records. and you'd be a fool to get the shot without it being properly tested. just because it stops the virus doesn't mean it doesn't make your body worse off. so don't expect a miracle to occur on that front.

the only thing that will ever make the world get back to normal is if you get the blood serum test and if that can show that you've had the virus already, and then they have to prove that once infected you cannot transmit or get again, and if all that works then you've got to figure out a system to prove you've got the antibodies where people cannot counterfeit it. and then those with teh proff get to start going back into public. unless america goes on a national face mask mandate, we are in this crap for another 18 months to two years.

and as for the season, unless you put every college team in a bubble no games this fall. no bball. no sports. no music fests. we are still in the first wave of the virus.

On this virus I keep going back and forth between "we have destroyed our economy over a flu, this is a hoax!" and wanting to lock my older, asthmatic parents in their house and throwing away the key.

Reactions: kentuckyshame
I’m curious as to how schools will handle positive tests once the season starts. For example let’s say Clemson plays GaTech week 1. The next day an offensive lineman displays symptoms and tests positive. Clearly he would’ve been in close contact on the bus, in the huddle, in the film room, in the training room, at the training table, etc. So then what? Do they test the whole team again? How long do players with positive tests sit out? Do the defensive linemen on GaTech that he grappled with all game need to quarantine? What about the grizzled 60 year old line coach that has co-morbidities associated with poor COVID outcomes?

While I think games will happen I’m still skeptical we have anything resembling a normal season. If fans aren’t required to wear a mask I will not attend. I’m in excellent physical condition and a former college athlete but it would be asinine for leading research universities to allow fans to attend large-scale events without proper protection.

Reactions: glassmanJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT