ADVERTISEMENT

How concerned are you about the season being cancelled?

How concerned are you about the season being cancelled?

• Extremely Concerned

Votes: 44 59.5%
  • Slightly Concerned

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Not Concerned

Votes: 10 13.5%

• Total voters
I don’t think there will be a season because I think universities will do all online classes first semester. You could argue they would do games without fans. However if there were a team that has a cluster outbreak the blowback would be tremendous. The headlines would be “Cash Starved Universities Gamble with Lives of Unpaid Athletes”.

All that being said, if we get to a point where there is effective treatment and widespread testing then I think there could be a shortened season.

if you really want a season then encourage mass productions of testing kits mandated through the federal executive branch

If there is no season because of CV19 we will have bigger things to worry about.

HOSPITALS are furloughing people during National MEDICAL CRISIS.

Who saw that coming?

If this thing is still a factor in another month it is going to negatively affect 90% of this board.

If there is no season because of CV19 we will have bigger things to worry about.

HOSPITALS are furloughing people during National MEDICAL CRISIS.

Who saw that coming?

If this thing is still a factor in another month it is going to negatively affect 90% of this board.

Hospitals aren’t making money because they aren’t performing lucrative elective procedures.

I see Trump trying to open things up. I see the Blue states (and the Blue Cities within the Red States) trying to keep things closed up tight. I see public school systems and public colleges staying shut due to political correctness pressure and to legal liability avoidance.

If the schools and colleges stay shut (which will certainly be known by July 1st), then there will be no organized sports at any level.

I think this is the likeliest outcome until an absolutely perfect and instantaneous-results test is widely available OR a vaccine has been created and fully administered.

I think group meetings of all kinds (concerts, religious ceremonies and services, sports at all levels including Pros, parties, etc) are completely out until one or both of these conditions is met.

Americans have become conditioned to want to be 100% protected by their nannies (all the governments and quasi-government agencies and institutions). Americans do not know how to balance lost economy and lost jobs with reduced health and increased death.

I see Trump trying to open things up. I see the Blue states (and the Blue Cities within the Red States) trying to keep things closed up tight. I see public school systems and public colleges staying shut due to political correctness pressure and to legal liability avoidance.

If the schools and colleges stay shut (which will certainly be known by July 1st), then there will be no organized sports at any level.

I think this is the likeliest outcome until an absolutely perfect and instantaneous-results test is widely available OR a vaccine has been created and fully administered.

I think group meetings of all kinds (concerts, religious ceremonies and services, sports at all levels including Pros, parties, etc) are completely out until one or both of these conditions is met.

Americans have become conditioned to want to be 100% protected by their nannies (all the governments and quasi-government agencies and institutions). Americans do not know how to balance lost economy and lost jobs with reduced health and increased death.

Not sure what political correctness has to do with this. The Ivy League was the first League to take action and I think it was because they have smart people that understood the science. I would assume that science will drive decision making going forward for our institutes of higher learning.

Is this because of the national business shut down or an inability to perform elective procedures and virus treatment at the same time.

Hospitals were encouraged to stop elective procedures because they tied up resources (many of which are/could be in short supply)

Not sure what political correctness has to do with this. The Ivy League was the first League to take action and I think it was because they have smart people that understood the science. I would assume that science will drive decision making going forward for our institutes of higher learning.
Smart people that understand science in their institutes of higher learning hold no sway over media and politicians distorting reality.

Smart people that understand science in their institutes of higher learning hold no sway over media and politicians distorting reality.

With all due respect Guardman please explain what the “truth” is that these media and politicians distorting reality” are doing? Help me out brother with the “truth”. Perhaps it’s the administration that isn’t seeing the forest for the trees (or the science) that is a major part of the problem. The science is screaming loudly and we must listen. Have a wonderful and Happy Easter.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: BlueTick2
With all due respect Guardman please explain what the “truth” is that these media and politicians distorting reality” are doing? Help me out brother with the “truth”. Perhaps it’s the administration that isn’t seeing the forest for the trees (or the science) that is a major part of the problem. The science is screaming loudly and we must listen. Have a wonderful and Happy Easter.

I'm taking neither "side". I'm saying that the "truth", which is something that the media has no taste for, is likely that we must face human loss if we are to get back to some sort of normalcy. I'm not arguing for any political point of view. A science and economist point of view might be pretty good. This is neither a pro or anti Trump post.

Truth is rarely understood until it is too late.

But as it pertains to college football being played I would think college presidents will rely on the science (and the attorneys)

It still boggles my mind that we aren’t mobilizing resources for mass testing capabilities. I really can’t understand any political or scientific calculus that would think that’s a bad idea. Get the tests so we can have football!

Nice post, not that you need validation from me LOL!

It still boggles my mind that we aren’t mobilizing resources for mass testing capabilities. I really can’t understand any political or scientific calculus that would think that’s a bad idea.

I think it is safe to say things could have been, and still could be handled differently. Hoping for the best for everybody!

It’s fairly easy to understand. The current administration doesn’t have the leadership necessary and will leave it up to the governors of each state while putting pressure on them to open up for the sake of the economy. It things go good, they take the credit. If it goes bad, the blame goes on the governors...

Football at this point is 51-49 for the season to go on as planned. In other words, nothing would surprise me!

I make the guess that NBA/MLB cancel. NCAAF cancels. NFL may try shortened season that begins in November. PGA, they could maybe pull off an early fall return.

That's only if this virus flatlines or drops. Big ifs! Lots of moving parts. Rough times.

Testing is the key for getting back to some kind of normalcy for all of us. A vaccine will come later - how much later is anyone’s guess.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
As with everything, “science” can be swayed and have an agenda.

The WHO (science) originally said “no problem”. Can’t be spread human to human.

Our current quack Fucci(?) (science) agreed. He HAD to agree didn’t he?
After all, that info came from scientists didn’t it?

But, after a while he says “OH! I have more data so now I can change my mind!” More “different” data from “scientists”. I wish I could get do overs in the stock market.

The science says don’t take Ibuprofen. Other science says no problem.

Then some science says hydroxychloroquine can save people. Some say it can’t.

Then victims testify that hydroxychloroquine saved their life while other “science” says maybe it didn’t.

Then you get the media “scientists” that say anything the Pres suggests is wrong and will kill people.

So would someone please direct me to exactly WHICH “science” we should follow?

The ones who said we could not build enough hospitals to care for all the victims? Or the ones who say it’s apparent now that we won’t need said hospitals?

“Science” seems rather confused on the issue.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Rollem Cards I think you are looking for a black and white answer and I’m not sure there is one. All we have for sure is that God will give us the answer in due time. I seem to remember that is called faith. Brother I hope and pray that is the answer.

Rollem Cards I think you are looking for a black and white answer and I’m not sure there is one. All we have for sure is that God will give us the answer in due time. I seem to remember that is called faith. Brother I hope and pray that is the answer.

Yeah, it’s a fluid situation. The data continues to roll in and continues to be analyzed.

I’m astounded that Dr. Fauci is getting heat from some circles. I admire that he says what the data analysis is telling him but almost admits when the data is incomplete to reach a reasonable conclusion.

Reactions: SoulSr and gocds
Dr. Fauci is getting “flak” from those that don’t feel he’s toeing the Trump line the way they think he should. He has served 6 presidents back to President Reagan. I don’t think any of them ever gave him any problem nor did he give them any problem. I think he’s doing what his professional ethics require of him. I’m not sure what Mr. Trump thinks of him but some of his staff don’t really care for him. Oh well, tough noogies.

As with everything, “science” can be swayed and have an agenda.

The WHO (science) originally said “no problem”. Can’t be spread human to human.

Our current quack Fucci(?) (science) agreed. He HAD to agree didn’t he?
After all, that info came from scientists didn’t it?

But, after a while he says “OH! I have more data so now I can change my mind!” More “different” data from “scientists”. I wish I could get do overs in the stock market.

The science says don’t take Ibuprofen. Other science says no problem.

Then some science says hydroxychloroquine can save people. Some say it can’t.

Then victims testify that hydroxychloroquine saved their life while other “science” says maybe it didn’t.

Then you get the media “scientists” that say anything the Pres suggests is wrong and will kill people.

So would someone please direct me to exactly WHICH “science” we should follow?

The ones who said we could not build enough hospitals to care for all the victims? Or the ones who say it’s apparent now that we won’t need said hospitals?

“Science” seems rather confused on the issue.
No, science was right all along, it’s a neuro Coronavirus, unlike anything before because it’s new. Everything else after that was speculation by some persons medically qualified and mainly by others unqualified. People started believing what they wanted to believe. Of course nearly everyone is only concerned about when we get through this instead of doing what needs to be done first before that happens.

I agree with most of the above.

My gripe is those who say “trust the science”. As said, the science is changing.

Fauci HAS to preach doom and gloom, and hope he’s wrong.

How PO’d do we get at the friggin Weather Reporters (science) who say “100% chance of rain at game time”....and it doesn’t rain a drop. Thats why they VERY seldom say “no chance”.

Science is not exact, and is often wrong many times before it’s “right”.

Reactions: PHCARD
But as it pertains to college football being played I would think college presidents will rely on the science (and the attorneys)
More so the attorneys. We are in uncharted territory and I expect university presidents to be even more risk adverse than usual in the near term. And rightfully so.

It still boggles my mind that we aren’t mobilizing resources for mass testing capabilities. I really can’t understand any political or scientific calculus that would think that’s a bad idea. Get the tests so we can have football!

Yeah, uh, that is exactly why we need the tests.

I read yesterday that outdoor concerts and music festivals may not return until 2021. I think if you ask the CFB powers that be, they'd say no, the upcoming season will not happen as scheduled. A lot needs to happen between now and August, when players report. I'm 40/60 right now.

The Ivy League administrators made the call, and they don’t understand science any better than the man in the moon. They are guys with good contacts who raise money. A huge chunk of their alumni are in New York, the epicenter of the pandemic, and Washington, the seat of state power.

Money talks.

-The colleges have an entire athletics budget dependent on football.

-ESPN and Fox have subscription fees for their cable networks based on college football. ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox have massive ad revenues they’d lose with no college football.

The economy is in the toilet and people don’t want to watch Trump vs. Biden every day for a year. The colleges and networks need football, it’ll happen one way or another.

PGA "targeting" June 14th return. Going to be interesting to see if they are a go. Non contact sport obviously, always thought golf would be first sport back. We shall see.

For the universities they have to guarantee their campus is safe for the students. That is impossible without testing. The faster this happens the better. It is kind of the bridge until the vaccine is developed.

Reactions: PaNDalum
I agree with most of the above.

My gripe is those who say “trust the science”. As said, the science is changing.

Fauci HAS to preach doom and gloom, and hope he’s wrong.

How PO’d do we get at the friggin Weather Reporters (science) who say “100% chance of rain at game time”....and it doesn’t rain a drop. Thats why they VERY seldom say “no chance”.

Science is not exact, and is often wrong many times before it’s “right”.

So, so true. I could not tell you how many times in my medical career that Doctors, Nurses and Administrators said to me : "Medicine is an inexact science,_ _ _ _". And don't hold me to it.

To believe that humans in the medical arena are without bias, prejudice, arrogance among other human vices; and are not agenda driven, is beyond naive. Money talks and BS walks.

It exists in the scientific and medical community just as it does in the rest of society. Those who hold the Power and the Money get to exert their influence in ways that us ordinary humans do not get to see or hear. Behind closed doors is not just a saying. The common folk get to experience the results of the so called experts decisions all the time. As we see playing out today and tomorrow. 'As the world Turns!'

Reactions: gocds
I used to do a lot of testing and data analysis in the good old days (at least that was when I got paid for it!) My question for those who advocate more testing and what that testing would accomplish...

What would you envision done with the results?

If you plan to incubate people who test negative, that would conceivably keep those people virus free. For example, the NFL could sequester entire teams in Arizona and literally play all of their games in empty but safe facilities for an extended period of time. That's if safety and complete virus eradication for sporting and recreational events is the priority.

If you plan to use test results merely as an indicator of mass population viral activity--up or down over a period of time--that would have merit. It would indicate that risk is increasing or decreasing and that the geographical area tested is or isn't showing progress. But that type of application on its own doesn't protect individuals from the virus, even those who test negative.

I have no issue with testing as part of a strategy. But what is that strategy? Testing on its own does little or nothing but give you an individual snapshot in time...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT