ADVERTISEMENT

HEY CLEMSON !

Good analysis, which sets up for an epic close game, probably lower scoring than a lot of people are thinking. What is the over/under on this game?

Second hand information here (heard it on the radio this morning) - the over/under is 67.

Reactions: cutiger653
I believe the clemson line backers try to muddy the waters and come for Lamar, but we are prepared for them and that we use our skill players to run away with this game. Brandon Ratcliff is an after thought from our opponents and I believe this is the week he goes nuts and has like 150-200 yards. Lamar will be patient and let the defense think they can blitz and not get burned. The run will set up the pass and Lamar will torch them for a lot of yards.

All of the talking heads have Louisville pegged as a one man team. This week the world will know this Louisville team is very special.

I am not being a Homer with this prediction, I am thinking about how well we moved the ball last year, and how a fumble and a punt return gifted clemson a win. This year I think we serve them a crap sandwich and beat them 58-24 but if we are able to run the ball and mix in the tight ends over the middle, we beat them 63-24.

Clemson had real trouble with Troy. The couldn't run the ball against Troy. We are going to have a national audience and bust them.

Prepare to eat a crap sandwich clemson. We don't owe you anything but a woodshed whippin. Cards take flight 63-24 and Lamar makes the clemson folks say his name just like Ali.

go cards.

giphy.gif

Okay,we will see..

No...but they are unbiased and they set the line...the $$ is heavily on Louisville...think about it...you're at home...and the underdog....and at LB the edge is Louisville...we have the 1st Team All American in Fields and the 1st Team All ACC in Kelsey...,
Genius, the line is set by the betting public, money bet one way or the other.

we shake up college football this weekend. All of the talking heads hate Bobby, Hate the Cards and want us to lose. We shake our wangs at them this weekend

Genius, the line is set by the betting public, money bet one way or the other.
No genius, it's not set by the public. The opening line is set by the expert handicappers that major sports books rely on to deliver an opening line that will not entice the knowledgeable bettor to want to pound it either way.

Now if you want to talk about what moves the line I can explain that for you as well. What Public Enemy said may have blurred together 2 points but still, learn before opening yapper and lighten up Frances.

If Louisville comes into clemson and beats us in the valley on a Saturday night with the whole country watching, you earned the top spot in the conference and in the country. you will get no sour grapes or excuses out of me, just a well deserved tip of the cap.

the last team that came in there and blew us out like you guys feel like you are going to do won the national title. it feels good when you are coming of age. Honestly, even if clemson wins, last year was more fun because no one expected to make that run. your team is playing loose. that's an advantage. maybe our d and the scene can cause some discomfort, maybe not.

Grantham strategy for Clemson's tempo in Death Valley:

It's a non-factor. Grantham is only about the millionth coach to employ the flop against an effective tempo offense. Clemson would do it too if Petrino's version of tempo starts taking over the game and Clemson begins running low on timeouts.

If Louisville comes into clemson and beats us in the valley on a Saturday night with the whole country watching, you earned the top spot in the conference and in the country. you will get no sour grapes or excuses out of me, just a well deserved tip of the cap.

the last team that came in there and blew us out like you guys feel like you are going to do won the national title. it feels good when you are coming of age. Honestly, even if clemson wins, last year was more fun because no one expected to make that run. your team is playing loose. that's an advantage. maybe our d and the scene can cause some discomfort, maybe not.
No doubt. If Louisville comes into our house at night and handles us, there's no reason they shouldn't win it all. The ACC Atlantic has three of the top 8 teams in the country.

No genius, it's not set by the public. The opening line is set by the expert handicappers that major sports books rely on to deliver an opening line that will not entice the knowledgeable bettor to want to pound it either way.

Now if you want to talk about what moves the line I can explain that for you as well. What Public Enemy said may have blurred together 2 points but still, learn before opening yapper and lighten up Frances.

It was set at 3 as you know to get $$$ from both ends...but as we see from the onset from the wise guys early to the general public now that line is now at -3 Louisville in Bovada...most other places have it at 2.5....that is a unbelievable shift...most projections also have it as a Louisville win...but the game is played on the field...can't wait

Jackson is a stud and has been since he was in HS. I remember being pissed when Clemson took a commitment from Tucker Israel instead of waiting on Jackson. Petrino's development of him cannot be understated either, as he's one of the best QB coaches in the sport at any level.

Only thing that jumps out to me is his completion percentage of 58%...why is it so low? He take a lot of low percentage shots downfield or is he just not that accurate. They never show his misfires on the highlight reel.

He's missed at least a couple in addition to the previously mentioned drops. Part of the low percentage is that the passing game we have run is very aggressively vertical. We have had very few of those easy completion wide receiver screens out of a bunch formation this year. That's why we are averaging 17.3 yards per catch, as well as the 58% completion percentage.

Also, Petrino is calling a lot more of the deep passes because defenses have been trying to shut down the run and contain Lamar. The typical strategy has been to slow rush him and of course use one or two spies. Committing that many players to the line of scrimmage without getting the sack or pressure gives the offense time for those deeper routes to develop.

Last edited:
He's missed at least a couple in addition to the previously mentioned drops. Part of the low percentage is that the passing game we have run is very aggressively vertical. We have had very few of those easy completion wide receiver screens out of a bunch formation this year. That's why we are averaging 17.3 yards per catch, as well as the 58% completion percentage.

Also, Petrino is calling a lot more of the deep passes because defenses have been trying to shut down the run and contain Lamar. The typical strategy has been to slow rush him and of course use one or two spies. Committing that many players to the line of scrimmage without getting the sack or pressure gives the offense time for those deeper routes to develop.
The day Lamar puts up an A game will be a nightmare for whatever team it happens to. He is basically destroying teams with what is graded a c/d game to this point. That is something to consider.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
The day Lamar puts up an A game will be a nightmare for whatever team it happens to. He is basically destroying teams with what is graded a c/d game to this point. That is something to consider.

He's a perfectionist, so I doubt he will ever give himself an "A" grade. Even if he completes all of his passes in a game, he will be upset that he didn't read a coverage right or read the defensive end correctly one time on the read option.

I have been convinced since his very first game last year that Lamar was going to be a star, but he's still human. The one thing I definitely did not like was his one interception last week. He allowed himself to get frustrated that the offense was not scoring on every possession, so he just chucked the ball deep downfield after eluding pressure. It was the same mistake he made against Houston last year.

He has to realize that sometimes the defense makes a great play and stops you. Early in the game, you throw the incompletion or take the sack, don't commit a turnover, punt the ball, and let your teammates on defense get it back for you. There is a time for the play he attempted to make against Marshall, but's it's definitely not early in the first half with your team leading 7-0.

He has to realize that sometimes the defense makes a great play and stops you. Early in the game, you throw the incompletion or take the sack, don't commit a turnover, punt the ball, and let your teammates on defense get it back for you.
I agree, but in this case, his INT was pretty much a punt and it didn't hurt us. I understand your point, and I agree with it. I was more upset about the INT that took points off the board when he was picked off in the end zone.

I agree, but in this case, his INT was pretty much a punt and it didn't hurt us. I understand your point, and I agree with it. I was more upset about the INT that took points off the board when he was picked off in the end zone.

Like a punt, yes, but a punt that UofL wasn't prepared to cover. We were fortunate that the interception wasn't returned for a big gain or a TD, as it was last year against Houston (the big gain, not a pick six).

Petrino said he was mad at himself about that interception against Florida State. He said that, while it wasn't Lamar's best throw, it wouldn't have been an issue had he (Petrino) chosen to run the football instead of calling a pass in order to pick on an inexperienced cornerback who had one-on-one coverage.

Last edited:
I now know the meaning of Deja vu ... didn't we just get this same post from the FSU fans?

At least when they said it, it was true ... we had beaten Charlotte and Syracuse at that point.
I'm not a Clemson fan but facts are facts!!

I'm not a Clemson fan but facts are facts!!

While true, the "fact" that you are stating is an opinion.

A fact would be that Louisville beat the #2 ranked team in the nation 63-20 on September 17th. Another fact is that the then #2 ranked team is now ranked #12. So you're opinion that we haven't beaten anyone is disputed by those facts.

Here is my opinion on the game. Louisville is much more explosive on offense than Clemson is. If the game becomes a shootout I think Louisville has the edge. And Louisville will score points, even as good as Clemson is on defense. But I don't think Louisville will light the scoreboard up like they did against us. 1) Clemson has proven to be much more disciplined on defense than we are. We are last in the country in giving up plays over 20 yards on defense if you can believe it. Clemson makes you earn everything. 2) Clemson has this game at home which makes their defense even more effective. So the Louisville offense against the Clemson defense is the most interesting matchup. On the other side, Clemson has talent on offense and Louisville is no slouch on defense.

So really this is as even of a matchup as you can get. And what usually tips the scale in an even matchup? TURNOVERS and Special Teams. I look for a close game with those two things determining the outcome.

Last edited:
Your reputation precedes you and you will see a HUGE turnout from Cards fans because of it. The Clemson hospitality and atmosphere has been the talk of the town since our trip there 2 years ago. People have been planning the trip for over a year. What an awesome scenario to have 2 of the top teams in the country with Heisman trophy candidate QB's!!! Pinch me! GO CARDS!!

Greatest game day atmosphere in any sport with the stadium being on campus and bars within walking distance. I hate I am going to miss it but i'll be cheering my Tigers on from DC! Hoping for a great game and that everyone stays healthy.

I feel like the game will come down to 1 or 2 plays and it could go either way. We will see in about 24 hours... :)

Reactions: PushupMan
we have a free board. good grief
Let me clarify my position. If you go the Clemson Rival site, the free board is the bad apple. It is essentially dead. All of the real discussion happens on the paid board. Clemson has several free boards which I posted for them to visit earlier. Clemson used to have robust free board on the rival site, but that was many years ago. A few gamecock posters (one in particular named Trooper Del) shut it down. There were legit threats of violence, people threatening other peoples families etc. it was pretty bad. That is when Chris Ard said "ya know what? I can solve this AND make more money at the same time!" "Let me close the board to non paying customers." and the rest is history. I was a paying member for a long time but I was banned for having a public disagreement with him, LOL.

He's a perfectionist, so I doubt he will ever give himself an "A" grade. Even if he completes all of his passes in a game, he will be upset that he didn't read a coverage right or read the defensive end correctly one time on the read option.

I have been convinced since his very first game last year that Lamar was going to be a star, but he's still human. The one thing I definitely did not like was his one interception last week. He allowed himself to get frustrated that the offense was not scoring on every possession, so he just chucked the ball deep downfield after eluding pressure. It was the same mistake he made against Houston last year.

He has to realize that sometimes the defense makes a great play and stops you. Early in the game, you throw the incompletion or take the sack, don't commit a turnover, punt the ball, and let your teammates on defense get it back for you. There is a time for the play he attempted to make against Marshall, but's it's definitely not early in the first half with your team leading 7-0.
He kind of punted on 3rd down a few times last year. He has held that in check somewhat this season. You can see that coaching is having a great effect on Lamar and the growth is obvious.
You are spot on in his maturation and his need to further understand down and distance. Not every team will be inept in defending him, so he must learn to process what is open as it compares to what may be a gamble.

Lamar is 5 games into his sophomore season, and he is playing at a level of a seasoned veteran. The recent road games will help his reads, and understanding of where to go with the ball, and show the world Cardinal football.

#L1C4

Go Cards

Reactions: PushupMan
I have a feeling the Cards win this one by about a touchdown. I hope I'm wrong, but our offense just hasn't found its groove yet. Unless that happens tomorrow, I just don't see any way Clemson wins. Regardless, we will find out tomorrow.

In any case, I hope any of you guys making the trip down to the game have safe travels and enjoy your time in Tiger Town!

Ditto

Absolutely
If the Cards win sat.night i firmly believe they will go to the CFP and do well there. If they lose I believe if both teams win out they should both go but the SEC and Big 10 may have something to say about that..

Mgxmellow is not a Clemson fan. I apologize for his gamecock stupidity. We have learned to ignore it and live with it. You guys played a great game. All of us were very impressed!!!
So this dude is a Coot trying to make Clemson fans look bad...I get it.

ADVERTISEMENT