ADVERTISEMENT

Heartless & Gutless

It’s on him, Padgett and the players. Game plan was poop. Also, Padgett has been working with the bugs for the last three years so their shitty play is on him.

Nope.

Idiot pitino. His players.
He cant monitor a program is why he isnt here.

You relish FORMER Cards.
First fired Grantham , now clown pitino.

Good riddance to pitino and all of his former players.
May his name be strucken from ALL Louisville records.

A lotta flawed analysis in this thread IMO...

This game was a classic example of where you miss a coach of Pitino's caliber while dropping all the way down to a green assistant. You get softer practices, undisciplined play, and weak defense. Quite honestly, I expected to see more of this thru the conference preseason.

These kids may not be the most talented or the best at motivating themselves. That's because Pitino recruited them to play under him, not Padgett. That's not on either coach, it's just the situation.

And if you're really interested in evaluating Padgett and not just looking for someone to blame, you have to give Padgett the time to learn those lessons on-the-job a little longer while recruiting kids who can play well under him. It's probably not all of the guys we have now...

They endorsed him to be interim head coach. And if that’s the difference in them getting what they want or not then they will not be very successful in their future endeavors.

I guess they're not as giddy as you are with RP getting the boot. (Imagine that) I get the feeling they could careless what you or any of the other fans that supported booting their coach thinks.

They endorsed him to be interim head coach. And if that’s the difference in them getting what they want or not then they will not be very successful in their future endeavors.

Would a different coach got a different result ?
Ahole was 2-8 (?) at COruppT arena.

They chose him cause he was an assistant to the asshole who recruited him.
The players loved the a-hole, just hated the tough practices.

That choice doesnt mean anything. Just an impulse choice under extenuating
circumstances.

Knuckle wants to believe the players had a choice in the matter. They're the ones that got screwed and all he can do is criticize them.

Knuckle wants to believe the players had a choice in the matter. They're the ones that got screwed and all he can do is criticize them.

Actually I got ripped by a few posters when I said the players “were victims”. Get your facts straight and the come back.

Would a different coach got a different result ?
Ahole was 2-8 (?) at COruppT arena.

They chose him cause he was an assistant to the asshole who recruited him.
The players loved the a-hole, just hated the tough practices.

That choice doesnt mean anything. Just an impulse choice under extenuating
circumstances.

I didn’t say a different coach would’ve equaled a victory. I thought it was strange how they laid down. Two mutually exclusive thoughts...shocking.

Reactions: BPGhost
I guess they're not as giddy as you are with RP getting the boot. (Imagine that) I get the feeling they could careless what you or any of the other fans that supported booting their coach thinks.

I’d suggest RP gave himself the boot

Reality is the next few years will be lean. Rookie coach. Tough schedule. Limited recruits. Ls will mount.

There is no overcoming that in the next 24 months. However, after that, we will rise again. We’re one of the top destination jobs for coaches and we have recruiting advantages to rebuild quickly.

Reactions: irishcat1965
Reality is the next few years will be lean. Rookie coach. Tough schedule. Limited recruits. Ls will mount.

There is no overcoming that in the next 24 months. However, after that, we will rise again. We’re one of the top destination jobs for coaches and we have recruiting advantages to rebuild quickly.

Good reason to self impose a post season ban for next two seasons. They’ve taken our past, now the NCAA will take our future. Unless of course we make the logical decision to self impose.

Omega's got the right slant on this... People are looking for someone to blame. You can't blame 18-20 year olds for wanting a coach they're familiar with. The coaches all wanted to keep Jurich--should they all be fired now?

Pitino's not responsible for these players--he recruited them to play for him, not Padgett. And Padgett didn't recruit any of them. If you're hellbent for blood, does Tyra get any grief for hiring Padgett?

Even I ain't going there...yet. :)

Omega's got the right slant on this... People are looking for someone to blame. You can't blame 18-20 year olds for wanting a coach they're familiar with. The coaches all wanted to keep Jurich--should they all be fired now?

Pitino's not responsible for these players--he recruited them to play for him, not Padgett. And Padgett didn't recruit any of them. If you're hellbent for blood, does Tyra get any grief for hiring Padgett?

Even I ain't going there...yet. :)

It’s tough to decipher anything Omega writes. Obviously the players wanted to play for Pitino and because of actions outside their control, they were stripped of that opportunity. That being said, if expect them to play some for themselves, for their family, for their school and for their interim coach. They just rolled over today. That can’t just be explained as some adolescent protest.

This really is an impossible situation for basically everyone involved. There are so many dynamics playing out and will continue to play out as the season moves on. The kids and Coach Padgett need to be willing learners and try to improve each week. All fans can do is support them.

Nope.

Idiot pitino. His players.
He cant monitor a program is why he isnt here.

You relish FORMER Cards.
First fired Grantham , now clown pitino.

Good riddance to pitino and all of his former players.
May his name be strucken from ALL Louisville records.
Who’s “relishing”? Your problem is that rather than be able to look at something analytically or dispassionately, your emotions rule your opinions and then you try to make shit up to bolster your point.

“Strucken” - lol.

Louisville played well to start the game. The initial game plan appeared to be good, which was to take Knox out of his game and focus on interior defense. Kentucky was coming off a loss and returning home to face a rival. This game was likely more important to UK than UofL. If the Cats lose this one, it's gonna be a long season. With the game being in Rupp, UK's young players had the edge.

I would also add, Rick Pitino may be a questionable human being, but he's a hall of fame coach and he has always been able to get players to perform at a higher level than their ability. Today we saw what the same players could do on their own, without whatever tactics Pitino used to motivate them.

I think Padgett is a fine young man, a man with integrity and an excellent knowledge of the game of basketball. Even when he played for Rick, he was like a coach on the floor, making sure the team carried out the game plan. However, he's enduring a trial by fire this season. I feel for him.

As I said above, his initial plan seemed good. It was neck and neck for much of the first half. But when foul trouble hit and UK punched back, that's when he was in over his head. In the second half, with everyone back on the floor, the Cards traded baskets with UK, but when the Cats kept fighting, the Cards lost discipline and stopped defending. They didn't appear to be in the same shape Rick always had them in, as he monitored their diet and body fat, among other things. It seems the lighter, more enjoyable practices haven't produced the same intensity you're used to seeing.

This really is an impossible situation for basically everyone involved. There are so many dynamics playing out and will continue to play out as the season moves on. All fans can do is support them.

Well said. To add on to your thought, the future once the season comes to an end is also not very good.

Fans complaining are out of touch with the situation.

Your players are not the team that was originally planned. Kids decomitted, one just can't play. I doubt Padgent was salivating about this idea six months ago.
These are kids that WANT to play for you guys. That means a lot.
Kentucky is a team that can catch fire or flame out. Too young, no true point guard.
Long season though, and a whole lot can change for both teams, good and bad.

It is extremely unfair to be critical of David Padgett. It is like a kid from a really strict demanding family heading of to college for the first time. They are on their own and making their own decisions for the first time. The players are going through that with Padgett. They have been given freedom in games and in practice. He isn't as demanding, he is still figuring out what buttons to push, and learning how to coach in game. It is up to the players to decide their path. They are really struggling with this new freedom.

The other reality is Padgett isn't getting the job and it has nothing to do with his coach ability. Louisville is a program that has to have a coach that energizes the fan and donor base. Padgett isn't that kind of personality and doesn't have the experience to create that energy. The good thing is Louisville is an attractive job bad news there are only a handful of coaches that could step in the current situation.

In my opinion Louisville should go all in on Chris Mack.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
to play devil's advocate, i remember a few of pitino's teams getting blown out too, sometimes the other team is just going to thwomp you that night. and seems to me going 3-25 beyond the arc doesn't have much to do with coaching. they were 6-13. if we hit 10-25 a totally different game but live by it die by it. no different than pitinio's style, maybe crp might have made it an 8 point game but whoever was coaching we were losing.

remember, uk just lost to ucla, you think they were going to lose twice with the second one at home? reality folks, let it sink in. we were not going to win nor did we have a chance that's why there was no real banter going on this year. if you expected a win or more that was you fault, you are not paying attention with you head, stop using your heart to wish this team better

Not to be the bad guy here...but the players had no choice. The timing of Pitino being fired, followed by Jurich...there was virtually no time to pick a coach...get a staff...and implement new offensive and defensive sets in place, so the players get operate. Not saying its any better, especially after yesterday's game...IMHO, I think they would be lucky to be 10 and 3. They were talking Tom Crean as interim...really? So, the players don't Padgett, because of the performance yesterday. Unfortunately, we are in a world that the high caliber players we get, could care less about the rivalry because of the one and done rule. What gets me, its works for Cal, but a Pitino didn't. Cal 10-2 , Pitino 2-9 and Padgett 0-1...and we don't who is coach next year. Tired of losing to the UK A-holes....need change.

Nah. Don’t think so. Maybe it’s all the patty cake practices that Anas was so happy about. Padgett is in waaaaay over his head. He couldn’t carry Scotty davenports jock!
Anas was a major disappointment. I was critical of Ray earlier in the season, but he and Malik were the only ones who brought it yesterday. I was surprised to see we were only outrebounded 44-37. I thought it would have been more like 54-27 from what I saw.

3 for 25 from behind the arc was horrific. I doubt that I saw 3 of those shots taken with the shooter's feet square and in rhythm.

Reactions: poppycat
Anas was a major disappointment. I was critical of Ray earlier in the season, but he and Malik were the only ones who brought it yesterday. I was surprised to see we were only outrebounded 44-37. I thought it would have been more like 54-27 from what I saw.

3 for 25 from behind the arc was horrific. I doubt that I saw 3 of those shots taken with the shooter's feet square and in rhythm.

That led to FT disparity. 25 untested shots, hitting 12%,,, no need to guard.
Another 25 (est) taken without feeding the post or driving to the basket, which is how shooting FTs are created. 25 to 19 fouls is not so bad. ..the shooting FT attempts is.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
This really is an impossible situation for basically everyone involved. There are so many dynamics playing out and will continue to play out as the season moves on. The kids and Coach Padgett need to be willing learners and try to improve each week. All fans can do is support them.
It's unbelievably tough. I imagine Pitino runs a good-cop, bad-cop routine with one of his assistants and Padgett was probably the good cop for these guys for the last 3 years. He was the one who was nice, accommodating, and encouraging when Pitino was ripping them to shreds. It's hard to turn into the other guy with the same players when they are going through an extremely stressful situation. It's especially hard when the other assistants were fired too and you have to bring in 2 guys they have never met to try to fill the other roles. If this team did something special it was going to be a miracle. They can still pull it together and make the tournament, but yesterday they were lost and quit in the second half. That's a gut check for everyone involved. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

I also was at the game and normally about 10% of the crowd in Rupp is wearing red. Yesterday that was more like 1 in 50 if even that much. I went 2 weeks ago to watch the Cats play Va Tech and they had more fans in Rupp than you all had yesterday so you need to get behind these guys if you want them to succeed as well. This is one Cat fan that will be pulling for you all the rest of the way. Good luck!

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT