ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off to Tyra

"McDonnell said his confidence in Louisville's leadership, including athletic director Vince Tyra and new university president Neeli Bendapudi, was a major factor in his decision"

Reactions: HRTheCard
What say you Zipp?
Oh no! Zipp’s t-shirts just went on clearance!
Since you guys asked... :)

I'll paraphrase what I said on the premium page... Good for Tyra. And after a victory lap, he needs to ring up Walz again and track down a donor or two before he turns in. His job this Spring is far from over.

As the guy in this space who probably attends more baseball games than anyone, this is anything but bad news for me personally. And I'm holding onto all of my T-shirts...

My hat is off to Dan. This is a decision Dan made based on a meeting with Cohen and MSU. Mac’s current contract was negotiated by you know who. That’s what he is working from. Now, it is up to Tyra to give Dan a raise, a bonus or just thanks.

My hat is off to Dan. This is a decision Dan made based on a meeting with Cohen and MSU. Mac’s current contract was negotiated by you know who. That’s what he is working from. Now, it is up to Tyra to give Dan a raise, a bonus or just thanks.

LOL

“I had a chance to learn about their program and what they’ve accomplished,” McDonnell said. “It’s a great program, but ultimately we have done great things here at Louisville and we have great things left to do here.”

McDonnell said his confidence in Louisville’s leadership, including athletic director Vince Tyra and new university president Neeli Bendapudi as a major factor in his decision.

Reactions: wilkie01
Dan's a great man. And he said he likes his bosses, one of which was sitting next to him.

In other news...

“I had a chance to learn about their program and what they’ve accomplished,” McDonnell said. “It’s a great program, but ultimately we have done great things here at Louisville and we have great things left to do here.”

McDonnell said his confidence in Louisville’s leadership, including athletic director Vince Tyra and new university president Neeli Bendapudi as a major factor in his decision.
Dan is a guy who’s motto is do it the right way. If he were perfectly happy with his current situation and had no issues, he would have politely told MSU thanks but no thanks and not wasted anybody’s dime to go and meet with them. And if you read, Dan’s whole statement, it reads Vince did not bring up the topic of his contract... well, Dan just did and as I said, now the ball is in Vince’s court just like with Walz.

If he were perfectly happy with his current situation and had no issues, he would have politely told MSU thanks but no thanks and not wasted anybody’s dime to go and meet with them

LOL so your saying no coach has a right to listen to what other programs have to offer them ? You truly are just trying to be argumentative. Because i don't believe you are really that stupid minded ! But then again!

If he were perfectly happy with his current situation and had no issues, he would have politely told MSU thanks but no thanks and not wasted anybody’s dime to go and meet with them

LOL so your saying no coach has a right to listen to what other programs have to offer them ? You truly are just trying to be argumentative. Because i don't believe you are really that stupid minded ! But then again!
At least I know how to copy a quote. Did you retype that yourself? And at least, I’m not just good ole plain stupid...

...so your (sic) saying no coach has a right to listen to what other programs have to offer them ? You truly are just trying to be argumentative. Because i don't believe you are really that stupid minded ! But then again!
I think the message is you have to be smart enough to filter what someone says and not always take it literally or out of context. For example--and as I said--Tyra was sitting next to Coach when he made those comments. $hit matters...

One thing I can say about Zipp, he ain't stupid. Argumentative, yes but stupid, no. I've actually grown quite fond of the guy even though I disagree with him almost 100% of the time on Pitino.

Reactions: zipp
I think the message is you have to be smart enough to filter what someone says and not always take it literally or out of context. For example--and as I said--Tyra was sitting next to Chat oach when he made those comments. $hit matters...
You and your clown cohorts on here have nothing to say of substance on Mack, Tyra and the new admin. None of your post back up not one dam thing negative you guys attempt too spit out. I'm done even wasting my time replying . I'll just sit back and read the stupidity.

Dan is a guy who’s motto is do it the right way. If he were perfectly happy with his current situation and had no issues, he would have politely told MSU thanks but no thanks and not wasted anybody’s dime to go and meet with them. And if you read, Dan’s whole statement, it reads Vince did not bring up the topic of his contract... well, Dan just did and as I said, now the ball is in Vince’s court just like with Walz.

McDonnell never stepped foot in Starkville. It was all on the phone. Tyra met with him in person Monday and Tuesday night after McDonnell and Cohen talked Monday. Deflect all yall want as I knew you all would. Tyra did his job (what yall said he needed to do and were ‘testing’ him to do). He did it, and now it’s magically all Dan’s doing.

You all must be seriously so miserable. You all hate on Tyra no matter what.

Tyra confirmed to Dan with the new pro locker rooms coming. He confirmed to Dan with the expansion and more. That and Dan knew/knows we can win here.

That doesn’t take away with how traditionally good MSU is in baseball. That also doesn’t take away with what Tyra did to keep him.

It’s a lose lose with yall. You all say Tyra needs to do this and that. Then when he does it, you all say he had no part in it.

Again, LOL

...You all must be seriously so miserable. You all hate on Tyra no matter what...
Not sure who you're referring to, but I've already commended Tyra for keeping McDonnell. For him, that was a pretty good accomplishment, and I wasn't at all sure he could pull it off. There are different perspectives to that however...

One is that, coming from me, those are legit props. Too many of the clown show were gonna defend Tyra if he failed, but they're eulogizing him now for succeeding. That's meaningless tripe from that crowd as it always is.

The flipside is how big of an accomplishment is this really? Jurich said today McDonnell wasn't going anywhere--which I think is mostly his refusal to give Tyra credit. And yesterday, it was opined by some that this would have been no accomplishment LAST year, i.e., the bar has been lowered. And that could be true.

I'm not getting into that because I openly said Tyra better keep McDonnell. He did, I'm happy, I've commended him for it, and as the clown show says, let's "move on"...

Reactions: nccardfan
I agree with nccardfan this had more to do with McDonnell than Tyra. Coach Dan looked at MSU and listened to their proposal and then decided what was best for him. If Coach Dan had gone to MSU and Tyra was able to hire a new coach as good as CDM then I would give him credit for the hire. Making sure you keep the coaches Jurich hired just confirms how good Jurich was.

I agree with nccardfan this had more to do with McDonnell than Tyra. Coach Dan looked at MSU and listened to their proposal and then decided what was best for him. If Coach Dan had gone to MSU and Tyra was able to hire a new coach as good as CDM then I would give him credit for the hire. Making sure you keep the coaches Jurich hired just confirms how good Jurich was.

Jurich was the best in the business at identifying talent. He certainly deserves commendation for that. It is also noteworthy that McDonnell’s and Lolla’s believe in Tyra’s vision for the athletic dept, especially given some of the dire predictions that were made.

Jurich was the best in the business at identifying talent. He certainly deserves commendation for that. It is also noteworthy that McDonnell’s and Lolla’s believe in Tyra’s vision for the athletic dept, especially given some of the dire predictions that were made.
I understand that's what these coaches have said. And I believe that they can't say much else besides saying nothing--which eventually says something as well.

My preference is to look at what they do in the long run and not what they say. They're all conflicted. If all or most are here several years from now, that says something...

Do you enjoy just creating some gibberish to put Tyra’s name in it? Please elaborate that Tyra’s vision is something different than what was already laid out? Jurich’s goal was to make U of L the best athletic department in the country and he was very close to fulfilling it. So again name one specific thing that Tyra has set out to do that wasn’t also in Jurich’s plans? Isn’t he just trying to keep the boat afloat?

Do you enjoy just creating some gibberish to put Tyra’s name in it? Please elaborate that Tyra’s vision is something different than what was already laid out? Jurich’s goal was to make U of L the best athletic department in the country and he was very close to fulfilling it. So again name one specific thing that Tyra has set out to do that wasn’t also in Jurich’s plans? Isn’t he just trying to keep the boat afloat?

He could’ve easily let him leave and told him that we weren’t doing an expansion, couldn’t he ? Yep. (Just like yall assumed he would when he was interim and then hired by the BOT who “want to get rid of athletics”) Guess what he didn’t.

I don’t see why you hate a man for doing his job and keeping the coaches here. There’s absolutely no reason to hate Tyra, yet you all do. Miserable people.

You: Tom Jurich > University of Louisville

Reactions: Knucklehank1

He reorganized the athletic department administration with the stated intent to generate cost savings that would support coaches compensation and athlete experience.

I understand that's what these coaches have said. And I believe that they can't say much else besides saying nothing--which eventually says something as well.

My preference is to look at what they do in the long run and not what they say. They're all conflicted. If all or most are here several years from now, that says something...

That’s all fine and good but yet you’ve decided to act pretty boorish in the meantime regarding anything related to Tyra.

That’s all fine and good but yet you’ve decided to act pretty boorish in the meantime regarding anything related to Tyra.
I will continue to critique Tyra's performance regardless of anyone's opinions...
He reorganized the athletic department administration with the stated intent to generate cost savings that would support coaches compensation and athlete experience.
I posted a few weeks ago that Tyra's now hiring staff into development positions although he still claims $1+ million in cost savings. Something doesn't equate.

And I asked him months ago what his issues are with the "student athlete experience". No answer...

I don't really get the debate here, Tyra did his job he hired a qualified basketball coach and secure the baseball coach. He is in a different mode than Jurich. Jurich was in a growth mode and Tyra is in a maintaining the program phase. He is able to do that because of Jurich. I will never understand why people just can't give props where props are due. Tyra has done a good job to this point only time will tell if he is a bad, good or great AD. The one thing we do know he will never be Jurich.

To me fundraising is his number one challenge and that will take time to heal all the wounds. Hopefully, Jurich will be welcomed back and recognized for his accomplishments at the University. That would go a long way in healing the University of Louisville community.

I don't really get the debate here, Tyra did his job he hired a qualified basketball coach and secure the baseball coach. He is in a different mode than Jurich. Jurich was in a growth mode and Tyra is in a maintaining the program phase. He is able to do that because of Jurich. I will never understand why people just can't give props where props are due. Tyra has done a good job to this point only time will tell if he is a bad, good or great AD. The one thing we do know he will never be Jurich.

To me fundraising is his number one challenge and that will take time to heal all the wounds. Hopefully, Jurich will be welcomed back and recognized for his accomplishments at the University. That would go a long way in healing the University of Louisville community.
Well put. I realized people will say it’s one sided but I encourage everyone to watch the clip of Jurich speaking out on the news last night. I think it was WHAS, I think. He says he bears no ill will toward the university but it’s because he feels that in conclusion he was not let go because of just cause but that he was allowed to retire. On his U of L tickets, they are for his kids and family, he is unsure if he will personally used them, at least for a while. You can see it in his eyes. He’s is a classy guy who was undermined by CRP.

Reactions: TDredbird

Pretty much agree except for the boldfaced remark. The chart below indicates that growth should not be slowing for U of L to keep pace with other athletic programs nationally...

Revenue%20Trend_zpszjim8uvr.jpg

Well put. I realized people will say it’s one sided but I encourage everyone to watch the clip of Jurich speaking out on the news last night. I think it was WHAS, I think. He says he bears no ill will toward the university but it’s because he feels that in conclusion he was not let go because of just cause but that he was allowed to retire. On his U of L tickets, they are for his kids and family, he is unsure if he will personally used them, at least for a while. You can see it in his eyes. He’s is a classy guy who was undermined by CRP.
Jurich was victimized by Pitino's negligence. But make no mistake, Jurich was undermined by the clown show. They wanted Jurich out far more than they were after Pitino. And that's because Jurich controlled a $100+ million operation. I joke about Pitino's nickname, but Jurich was the true "master"...as he should have been.

Pretty much agree except for the boldfaced remark. The chart below indicates that growth should not be slowing for U of L to keep pace with other athletic programs nationally...

Revenue%20Trend_zpszjim8uvr.jpg
I am not saying Tyra doesn't need to grow the department, but at this point he has to do his best to maintain the department while making changes. He had to find a critically important coach, secure a couple other critical coaches and hiring 2 more coaches. He needs to get Jeff taken care of.

The donors are the most difficult because they were emotionally attached to Juich. There are many donors that have the same feelings toward Tyra as you, it will take time to earn their trust. No one was going to come in securing those key donors immediately. Those kind of relationships take years to build trust, is Louisville going to the right thing with their money.

I am not sure any University Athletic Department has gone through what Louisville just went through the last 3 years. To expect no impact to growth during this period seems unrealistic. At this point it doesn't matter what happened or how it was handle. How are they going to get people to trust and believe in Louisville. Again Tyra has done a good job since he has been here and you can't say he hasn't.

Jurich was victimized by Pitino's negligence. But make no mistake, Jurich was undermined by the clown show. They wanted Jurich out far more than they were after Pitino. And that's because Jurich controlled a $100+ million operation. I joke about Pitino's nickname, but Jurich was the true "master"...as he should have been.

Jurich was undermined by his inability to manage RP. I won't get into the insanity of Bevin and the redneck right here in the state.

really; Jurich kicks Rick after Sypher (morality clause) and he's sitting pretty. he needed to be reigned in (imo); he had too much power (Ramsey's doing); but if he would've done the right thing after scandal 1 then I think he would still be here.

I have to wonder; is the Denny faction still angry? this feels like the same thing. I've never seen such a mess of a fanbase but I can't help but think this was the same way when Jurich kicked Denny to the curb. I do know some oldsters that still haven't gotten over that one.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
One thing nobody ever brings up rather than always saying if Jurich had fired Rick he still be here. Okay you fire Rick do you actually think some of the big Rick donor fans would have been on board with that crap hell naw! Jurich was told what to do and at the time. I just believe Ricks crew was a bit more powerful than Grissom and Papa at the time until Bevin got behind them. This just my take on it.

Like none of us every considered a headhunter's offering to move up to higher salary and fringe benefits. So let us not be hypocrites!

15b3184044eef6e94812d0f72355bcb6.jpg

One thing nobody ever brings up rather than always saying if Jurich had fired Rick he still be here. Okay you fire Rick do you actually think some of the big Rick donor fans would have been on board with that crap hell naw! Jurich was told what to do and at the time. I just believe Ricks crew was a bit more powerful than Grissom and Papa at the time until Bevin got behind them. This just my take on it.
Not to mention, keeping or firing Pitino was NEVER Jurich's decision. Pitino made more money than God.

If you think Jurich sitting at his desk made that decision--or that really any ONE guy made it--you're nuts...

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
I am not saying Tyra doesn't need to grow the department, but at this point he has to do his best to maintain the department while making changes. He had to find a critically important coach, secure a couple other critical coaches and hiring 2 more coaches. He needs to get Jeff taken care of.

The donors are the most difficult because they were emotionally attached to Juich. There are many donors that have the same feelings toward Tyra as you, it will take time to earn their trust. No one was going to come in securing those key donors immediately. Those kind of relationships take years to build trust, is Louisville going to the right thing with their money.

I am not sure any University Athletic Department has gone through what Louisville just went through the last 3 years. To expect no impact to growth during this period seems unrealistic. At this point it doesn't matter what happened or how it was handle. How are they going to get people to trust and believe in Louisville. Again Tyra has done a good job since he has been here and you can't say he hasn't.
Tyra doesn't have years. With a revenue curve like that, do you realize how far your program will fall if it hiccups any significant amount of time? Do you realize how far down the P5/G5 food chain you will land? Are you OK being Boston College or Georgia Tech in athletics?

It's an urgent situation now whether the clowns appreciate that or not...

...Jurich kicks Rick after Sypher (morality clause) and he's sitting pretty. he needed to be reigned in (imo); he had too much power (Ramsey's doing); but if he would've done the right thing after scandal 1 then I think he would still be here...
Again, the final decision wasn't Jurich's... And Pitino was the VICTIM in the Sypher extortion case, not the perpetrator. People get that a$$ backwards...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT