ADVERTISEMENT

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
(I love posting in the darkest of times...)

...but this still just counts as one loss. And unfortunately, we're still finishing no worse than 2nd in the ACC, and we still have to suck it up and go to the Orange Bowl to play the Big Ten champ in all likelihood.

I know how bad that makes some of us feel, when it would be better for U of L to simply disband its football program and ask for a release from our ACC grant-of-rights.

Perish the thought if Clemson loses on Saturday, we have to muster every ounce of remaining energy we have and play for the conference championship. It's tremendously unfair to be in this situation, but we've made this bed for ourselves. We can only hope that someone emerges from the back of the pack to upset Lamar for the Heisman...

Well, one bright spot was that the punter had a good game. Rest of the team....not so much.

My disappointment will end when the sun comes up tomorrow AM. Life is too short as it is.

Reactions: SoulSr and gocds
Winning 10 games and going to the Orange bowl is not fools gold.
They had a legitimate shot at the playoffs, just didn't get it done.
You dont win Seven games by 31 or more because of luck........

The meaning of "fool's gold" escapes you. Fool's gold doesn't mean luck.

The 10 wins IS the fool's gold, not an argument against it.

The margin of victory WAS the fool's gold, not an argument against it.

This is/was not a playoff level team. They lead the country in fumbles.

The number of wins and margin of victory gave an unrealistic view from some of our fans-that is the fool's gold.

The reality is we are a good team that shoots itself in the foot ALOT and a good offense can exploit our mistakes. We just have not had enough good offenses on our schedule to show us that, leading many to being fooled into thinking we are actually better than we are.

We have a very good team, but not a great team.

Last edited:
IF this team gets attitudinal, and doesn't pout, we can end up with 2 big wins.

If not, who knows.

The infighting is concerning, and you have to wonder how long it's been building.

Reactions: WKCard
(I love posting in the darkest of times...)

...but this still just counts as one loss. And unfortunately, we're still finishing no worse than 2nd in the ACC, and we still have to suck it up and go to the Orange Bowl to play the Big Ten champ in all likelihood.

I know how bad that makes some of us feel, when it would be better for U of L to simply disband its football program and ask for a release from our ACC grant-of-rights.

Perish the thought if Clemson loses on Saturday, we have to muster every ounce of remaining energy we have and play for the conference championship. It's tremendously unfair to be in this situation, but we've made this bed for ourselves. We can only hope that someone emerges from the back of the pack to upset Lamar for the Heisman...

A Heisman, a NY6 bowl, a Top 10 final season ranking - plenty left to play for.

This team will get better ... Better players and a better offensive line. It's only a matter of time.. they are good now... Damn near great... Just not there yet. Let's let the season play out and after our last win. Then let's discuss the what ifs. That's the fun of what we as (Louisville) is accomplishing.

The glass is always half full as I remember going to games to watch louisville football playing at a baseball field lol. Look where the program has come since then.... Yes there have been setbacks but dayum... The upside has been much better.... Let's play out this year and let's keep moving the chains forward!

Reactions: SoulSr
No question Thursday night was disappointing, and I'm not saying otherwise. Some of these emotions don't translate efficiently in internet posts.

What I am saying is that the sky ain't falling. We have a pretty good shot unless we blow it and some major chaos occurs, at playing in the OB against the Big Ten champ and with our very first Heisman Trophy winner.

And if looking at things that way paints me as an optimist, a sunshine pumper, fanboy, or a guy who gives our coaches unequivocal support--based on the evidence in hand for and against those positions--so be it...

I would say fans probably earned a day of mourning. They're not going anywhere and will be right back on the train.

The glass is still half full. We took a step backward on Thursday night but the good news is there are still at least 2 games left to play. Win both and it's another 11 win season, another Orange Bowl victory, and likely the first Heisman winner in program history.

If Clemson lays an egg tonight then the Cards get an extra game to play before the bowl game. That would only enhance Lamar's chances of winning the Heisman AND he's coming back next year. The way we finish will lay the foundation for next year.

You guys can flame me if you want; this time, I'll understand.

There's a lot off disappointment in this room today; with certainty, much of it justified.

As a Clemson fan, I've been there more times than I care to remember - and, as a Clemson fan, I'm positive I'll be there again.

It sucks; it's best not to dwell on it.

With that said, look at how far your program has come in a very short time, and look how well it's positioned for the future.

As proof of that: you guys are still position for a 10-win season, a NY6 bowl, and a possible Heisman.

Let those words sink in for a minute.

If you've pondered those thoughts, even for a moment, I'll challenge you with this: each of those points are signs of a fairly solid program. How many teams out there right now would trade places with you immediately, if they could?

I'm betting that if every team and fanbase in the nation answered that question with absolute internal honesty, the answer to that question would have three digits.

My point here is that you've come a long way, if those hallmarks represent a disappointing season for you.

How many years back would you have to go to find a point in time where you yourselves would have loved to have each of those things for your program? I'm betting that number can be counted on one hand.

Tremendous progress.

I can somewhat agree with the poster above in some of this season appearing, on the surface, to be fools gold; however, I'd counter that by suggesting you played much the same schedule last year. Did it go exactly the same? From my perspective, it went much better this year.

I'll leave some final parting thoughts: it's OK to be disappointed - it's a valid emotion, it's OK to question your coaching staff on how they can prevent repeat performances of the Houston game, but it's not OK to tear your team down because you didn't become National Champions overnight.

Your staff and players worked their asses off to move you guys from also-rans to national prominence in just one year, and they've positioned themselves well to do it again next year.

That's a team with which most fans wouldn't be too disappointed.

Maybe no one else will say it, but I will: Congrats on the tremendous progress and a great season.

Go Cards!

IT...thanks for your candid POV. Truly life is too short to sweat the small stuff....and really, matters that are not life and death, are all 'the small stuff' that wraps folks around the axle...if they let it. Life is a choice and your personal attitude is a choice.

Like you....I choose to recognize and celebrate the successes and learn from the set backs.

Go Cards! Go ACC! - but today I am a Wake Forrest fan for selfish reasons so I can not say Go Tigers and truly mean it.

Last edited:
IT...thanks for your candid POV. Truly life is too short to sweat the small stuff....and really, matters that are not life and death, are all 'the small stuff' that wraps folks around the axle...if they let it. Life is a choice and your personal attitude is a choice.

Like you....I choose to recognize and celebrate the successes and learn from the set backs.

Go Cards! Go ACC! - but today I am a Wake Forrest fan for selfish reasons so I can not say Go Tigers and truly mean it.

I appreciate your candor, Mayo.

If our roles were reversed, I'd be pulling for Wake, too.

Nothing wrong with that.

To hell with this half full crap. Our glass is just short of overflowing. Looking at a potential 11 win season that would include a bowl we could barely dream of during the not so long ago Krags or Cooper years. We have the Heisman front runner leading the team, one of the best damn stadiums in CFB, an expansion in the works, and a path every year to the CFP if we take care of business.

I think we all want the cup to run over, but let's not sell ourselves short. Even this year there is still an outside shot at the playoff if thing go off course in just one game tonight in Winston-Salem. If the Cards made and won the ACC CG we would be right back in the mix. They aren't going to take 3 B1G teams so it would probably come down to the ACC champ or PAC champ barring a miracle in the B12.

I'll take this over hoping for an bowl upgrade to avoid the Motor City Bowl. Losing to Houston still sucks, but the sky isn't falling.

The best part Rob is the future looks even better. LJ will be a true junior next year and he'll have a whole lot of returning talent to help him hopefully make a run at his second Heisman and get a step closer to the ultimate prize, the national championship. :D

It's hard to get past what most see as a missed opportunity. (I tend to think of an MO as something like losing the Houston game on a missed FG instead of a blowout...)

But I said in the preseason that ANY year in which we have double digit wins in football is successful. And I stand by that...

The meaning of "fool's gold" escapes you. Fool's gold doesn't mean luck.

The 10 wins IS the fool's gold, not an argument against it.

The margin of victory WAS the fool's gold, not an argument against it.

This is/was not a playoff level team. They lead the country in fumbles.

The number of wins and margin of victory gave an unrealistic view from some of our fans-that is the fool's gold.

The reality is we are a good team that shoots itself in the foot ALOT and a good offense can exploit our mistakes. We just have not had enough good offenses on our schedule to show us that, leading many to being fooled into thinking we are actually better than we are.

We have a very good team, but not a great team.
Good post, 'hop. I believe Houston was grossly underrated after their 2 losses. We may have been somewhat overrated by our large wins over teams that may not be as good as can be expected from a power 5 conference. With the large amount of conference games that have been played this year, there were not many outside the conference matchups to give us a prospectus of the overall strength of the ACC this year.

Last edited:
We are still a very good football team and I am not one who will let this one horrific game to define this season.

Beat the crap out of UK and I will be looking forward to a huge Bowl game.

This is still a very young team and they still make mistakes related to that youth. Sometimes you simply cannot coach the youth out of them.

This is still a very young team and they still make mistakes related to that youth. Sometimes you simply cannot coach the youth out of them.
Not young on defense or OL. That's what was bad Thursday night. The OL are like Peter Pan, I guess. They just won't grow up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT