ADVERTISEMENT

Harrell is an embarrassment

Don’t disagree that he used a very poor choice of words. But they are all bigs boys in the NBA. I would suspect that these guys exchange pleasantries and smack like this all game long.

no bueno. Nothing against you but this is tone deaf in current times.

Reactions: gocds
come one guys......time to grow a pair. stop complaining!!!!!! These players have been doing this in sports since day one. sometimes you hear about what they say, and most of the time.... you don't. he apologized. move on.

Reactions: coachsales
Easy to say that Montrezl did nothing wrong and can smooth that over with a few words and a pat on the back, but there just can’t be a double standard for those who demand social justice. Take off the blinders and acknowledge the most obvious of points.

Reactions: teamcanada
Easy to say that Montrezl did nothing wrong and can smooth that over with a few words and a pat on the back, but there just can’t be a double standard for those who demand social justice. Take off the blinders and acknowledge the most obvious of points.

Im not arguing that he should have said it but it doesnt make him a racist. Its also not on the level of calling someone the n word or some racial slur.

Im not arguing that he should have said it but it doesnt make him a racist. Its also not on the level of calling someone the n word or some racial slur.

To be honest I don’t know what to make of it. I generally don’t refer to someone by the color of their skin when I trash talk. I certainly never did in the Army. The comment probably falls under the definition of racist. But saying it’s not as bad as the n word I would agree. But where do you draw the line these days. Let’s say it was reversed and Harrell was called a bitch ass black boy. Well how do you think the media handles that? The incident would be on ever newscast I suspect. Having said all that if someone said that to me I would just laugh.

Racism and social justice must.....I said must, work both ways to be fair and the antidote to the hatred of any race toward another race.

Fair and color blind or the hatred will not be wiped out. The human race must be human towards all other humans not just some....or there is nothing, no commonality to get to the love of neighbor as yourself to overcome racism. We are accountable to love one another.

I'll say the same thing I said about Thom Brennaman - I won't defend the words because clearly they are bad. Still I don't want to over-react to them either. Normal people don't have cameras/mics on them and if they did they no doubt have same something that would get them "fired" in a public eye kind of job as well. Seriously, think about that. You don't want to condone the slurs so you have to suspend/fine them or something, but you don't want to ruin careers over it.

“dick” Pitino failed to teach Montrezl anything about team ball. He was only concerned with himself and his stats his last year here and I, for one, was happy to see him move on. Plus he embarrassed UofL by refusing to testify in the NCAA investigation into “strippergate”. That was a CYA move on his part and he may have been able to assist UofL but chose not to. His recent actions indicate that he is not a good or decent person.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

I'll say the same thing I said about Thom Brennaman - I won't defend the words because clearly they are bad. Still I don't want to over-react to them either. Normal people don't have cameras/mics on them and if they did they no doubt have same something that would get them "fired" in a public eye kind of job as well. Seriously, think about that. You don't want to condone the slurs so you have to suspend/fine them or something, but you don't want to ruin careers over it.

I just looked up Thom Brennamen. That is not the same thing. He used a gay slur.

Reactions: RomanOben
“dick” Pitino failed to teach Montrezl anything about team ball. He was only concerned with himself and his stats his last year here and I, for one, was happy to see him move on. Plus he embarrassed UofL by refusing to testify in the NCAA investigation into “strippergate”. That was a CYA move on his part and he may have been able to assist UofL but chose not to. His recent actions indicate that he is not a good or decent person.

Did you want him to lie? Had he admitted what happened, he’d face zero consequences as a nba players.

We we to the elite 8 his last year. We did okay with him apparently ball hogging. What do you think he should have done differently?

Did you want him to lie? Had he admitted what happened, he’d face zero consequences as a nba players.

We we to the elite 8 his last year. We did okay with him apparently ball hogging. What do you think he should have done differently?

How about MAN UP! UofL did great by him and he took off like a scared chicken shit rabbit. I lost all respect for him when that happened. And, by the way, UofL, suspended him from our campus and games for about five years. That screams volumes about him. He did come to a game this past season with his kids so there is that.

How about MAN UP! UofL did great by him and he took off like a scared chicken shit rabbit. I lost all respect for him when that happened. And, by the way, UofL, suspended him from our campus and games for about five years. That screams volumes about him. He did come to a game this past season with his kids so there is that.

UofL suspended him from Campus/games because the NCAA made UofL do that. It was part of the 'punishment' since he would not cooperate with NCAA in investigation if my memory serves me right. I do not believe it was a UofL driven choice.

Reactions: cdbearde

Uofl had to suspend him because he refused to talk to the Ncaa. Its says nothing about him other than he didnt talk to the Ncaa. The school has had him here as a guest in the past couple of seasons btw. Pretty sure Rozier is also suspended.

How was he supposed to man up? We know that Powell and her skanks were here.

Reactions: Riddle-me-this
Similar, gay slur/racial slur, both while on the job and recorded by a mic or camera. Both are bad and shouldn't happen, but Montrezl's career isn't over from this (nor should it be) and Thom's 30 year career shouldn't be over either.

Calling someone white boy and fag are not the same thing. Not even similar. Also Harrell was overheard talking trash on the court. I dont even know why Thom thought that was a good idea to say on the air.

Calling someone white boy and fag are not the same thing. Not even similar. Also Harrell was overheard talking trash on the court. I dont even know why Thom thought that was a good idea to say on the air.

Obviously Thom blew it and it will cost him the balance of his career. But Harrel called the other guy “white boy” in a moment of temper. Is that being racist? I’d say it probably is. If a white guy says “black boy” to an African-American guy is that not racist? I’m thinking that it just might be. The NBA almost has to react to this situation and get that type of language under control. Not sure about the “bitch ass” part of the comment other than a bitch is a female dog and that could be construed to be very negative in a confrontational situation.

Obviously Thom blew it and it will cost him the balance of his career. But Harrel called the other guy “white boy” in a moment of temper. Is that being racist? I’d say it probably is. If a white guy says “black boy” to an African-American guy is that not racist? I’m thinking that it just might be. The NBA almost has to react to this situation and get that type of language under control. Not sure about the “bitch ass” part of the comment other than a bitch is a female dog and that could be construed to be very negative in a confrontational situation.

Id get if Harrell got fined or suspended. Its still not the same as Thom using a gay slur. Thats 2 different levels of F’up.

As far as the rest goes. Its pro sports. Im sure every single player has been called, said, or heard worse.

I just looked up Thom Brennamen. That is not the same thing. He used a gay slur.

It's not really a competition of which slur is worse. I'd say calling anyone a "bitch-ass white/black/brown/yellow boy" would be deemed a slur by the target. Again, I'm not defending any of these words, Thom's or Montrezl's - I'm just saying, ok fine or suspend them because they did these things "on the clock" but neither needs to have their careers ended.

Reactions: cdbearde and gocds
It's not really a competition of which slur is worse. I'd say calling anyone a "bitch-ass white/black/brown/yellow boy" would be deemed a slur by the target. Again, I'm not defending any of these words, Thom's or Montrezl's - I'm just saying, ok fine or suspend them because they did these things "on the clock" but neither needs to have their careers ended.

I agree. Both of them should “pay a price” in some fashion. But neither of them should lose their careers. I know it’s cliche but perhaps some serious, in-depth sensitivity training is also in order.

I think the difference is their professions. I think both were wrong. Harrell is a pro athlete playing a heated contested game and in most circumstances, not many would have heard what he said and made a big deal. However, with no fans, everyone heard it. Harrell is not paid to mind his P and Q’s. Thom on the other hand is a public announcer and has the ear of thousands. You simply have to know when your mic is on or off. Connect the dots and it is likely that Thom shares in this view but just hasn’t publicly said it before. You cannot give people with those kind of views a forum. If he was on an opioniated talk show that’s one thing, but this was baseball which should not be voicing personal views IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT