ADVERTISEMENT

Guess it’s all Brohm now

Are you kidding that was a good win but Brohm is a Card period. He’ll come when needed.
Your athletic department ain't in Texas. Brohm money wasn't within reach BEFORE tonite's game...

Your full of you know what. Unless your names Tyra what you say means nothing.
Because my name's not Tyra, I know how much money's in the bank--the only place he knows where to look for it...

Zipp butt hurt!
b34.jpg

LOL...because this guy's winning the lotto this week.
Jeff Brohm= just hit the lotto? What a sorry ass contrarian, at all costs statement that is.

Pretty weak, wavering among viewpoints. “He’s not proved himself enough”, all the way to the chicken sh!t..... weeeeeee can never afford Him.... to............next?

No newcomer here. I called this 13 months ago, as did others on here that know what they are looking at.

Jeff Brohm= just hit the lotto? What a sorry ass contrarian, at all costs statement that is...
The reference was to KR... Evidently, he's making this Brohm thing happen regardless of cost. Gonna be fun watching...

A lot of assuming at this point but let's assume Petrino isn't back. I think they find the money if, and I think it is a big if, Brohm wants to leave Purdue. If he decided to come back home money isn't the driving factor. Money will come with time. This would be more on the lines of Howard coming to Louisville. The opportunity to be a legend in your hometown.

For the fan base this would be a absolute home run hire. It would immediately energize the whole fan base similar to what Mack has done with basketball. The downside to this is if he doesn't come the next coach won't generate the same kind of positive vibe. They wouldn't get the same kind of patience that Brohm would be given. They fan base would be divided no matter who was hired.

My guess would be if they can't get Brohm, Petrino will be back or that is what I would do.

Last edited:
A lot of assuming at this point but let's assume Petrini isn't back. I think they find the money if, and I think it is a big if, Brohm wants to leave Purdue. If he decided to come back home money isn't the driving factor. Money will come with time. This would be more on the lines of Howard coming to Louisville. The opportunity to be a legend in your hometown.

For the fan base this would be a absolute home run hire. It would immediately energize the whole fan base similar to what Mack has done with basketball. The downside to this is if he doesn't come the next coach won't generate the same kind of positive vibe. They wouldn't get the same kind of patience that Brohm would be given. They fan base would be divided no matter who was hired.

My guess would be if they can't get Brohm, Petrino will be back or that is what I would do.
This is exactly what a couple of us have been saying for several weeks now. Glad to have you on board!

Reactions: wilkie01
I’d say this: I either want Brohm or Petrino coaching next year. No I’m between hires.

That Purdue team reminds me so much of the Petrino's teams the first go around. The execution and play calling last night were terrific. You can tell the players believe in the coaching because their execution was terrific on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: GoldCard and earsky
That Purdue team reminds me so much of the Petrino's teams the first go around. The execution and play calling last night were terrific. You can tell the players believe in the coaching because their execution was terrific on both sides of the ball.
They apply pressure by making you defend every inch of the field, then bust it up the middle for big chunks.

Nothing vanilla, that's the key.

I would go out on a limb a bit and say that Brohm would try to smooth the financial burden by the athletic department to make this happen as long as Tyra reciprocates.

Cart before the horse? Yeah, probably.

Reactions: BPGhost

I suspect they trust and respect the assistants too. That is where in my opinion we’re lacking.

I would go out on a limb a bit and say that Brohm would try to smooth the financial burden by the athletic department to make this happen as long as Tyra reciprocates.

Cart before the horse? Yeah, probably.

If and when that occurs those things can be negotiated. If he wants to come home he won’t try to bankrupt the university. There is insensitive for him to come home, one being home.

Reactions: earsky
I don't follow the details for other programs, so I'll leave this with the experts...

Can anyone name me a successful, big time coach on an uptick who took less money to return home or to his alma mater? Never heard of that person.

I also believe Purdue wouldn't just back away from whatever competition U of L represents financially. Notre Dame or Ohio State would probably get their guy regardless. But U of L?... Purdue thinks they're a better opportunity for Brohm, and so likely does the rest of the Big Ten...

Last edited:
I don't follow the details for other programs, so I'll leave this with the experts...

Can anyone name me a successful, big time coach on an uptick who took less money to return home or to his alma mater? Never heard of that person.

I also believe Purdue wouldn't just back away from whatever competition U of L represents financially. Notre Dame or Ohio State would probably get their guy regardless. But U of L?... Purdue thinks they're a better opportunity for Brohm, and so likely does the rest of the Big Ten...
Who says it would be for less money? Oh that’s right - you do, to try and make your argument and for the sake of your question. The better question is whether you think that Brohm would choose UofL over Purdue if the offers were similar.

Btw - Scott Frost, Bob Huggins and Roy Williams just off of the top of my head. That does not include guys like Frank Beamer and Jay Wright who had offers for substantially more money but stayed where they were.

Who says it would be for less money? Oh that’s right - you do, to try and make your argument and for the sake of your question. The better question is whether you think that Brohm would choose UofL over Purdue if the offers were similar.

Btw - Scott Frost, Bob Huggins and Roy Williams just off of the top of my head. That does not include guys like Frank Beamer and Jay Wright who had offers for substantially more money but stayed where they were.

NBA players also sacrificed monies by leaving a team that could offer max money,
to teams that could only sign you for 30 % less.
Money isnt everything.

Venebales has turned down several head coaching jobs that would pay quadruple
than being a coordinator.

Who says it would be for less money? Oh that’s right - you do, to try and make your argument and for the sake of your question...
Well, what do these remarks mean?...
...If he decided to come back home money isn't the driving factor. Money will come with time...
I would go out on a limb a bit and say that Brohm would try to smooth the financial burden by the athletic department to make this happen...
If and when that occurs those things can be negotiated. If he wants to come home he won’t try to bankrupt the university...
NBA players also sacrificed monies by leaving a team that could offer max money,
to teams that could only sign you for 30 % less.
Money isnt everything...
Can't believe I'm quoting the last guy, but these posters are all talking about financial concessions of some type. Do you have hard examples of other high-performing coaches who have done that? I need the terms and dollar amounts in addition to their names.

Well, what do these remarks mean?...

Can't believe I'm quoting the last guy, but these posters are all talking about financial concessions of some type. Do you have hard examples of other high-performing coaches who have done that? I need the terms and dollar amounts in addition to their names.
You are clearly missing the point - intentionally no doubt as is your MO. If Brohm comes back to UofL, it won't be because he is going to get the "max" contract here that he most likely could get at a larger university. He'll get paid of course but it will be the intangibles that will make the difference - not the dollars and cents. Again, you get that but you are simply being intentionally obtuse to try and further your point. Let me put into this closer perspective - do you go to the fall baseball practices only because they are free?

I've provided you multiple names of well known situations that are in direct conflict with the premise of your question - another data point for you - if you will. Should you want to know the exact details of those instances - google is your friend. I've no intention of chasing myself around this mulberry bush you've created.

You are clearly missing the point - intentionally no doubt as is your MO. If Brohm comes back to UofL, it won't be because he is going to get the "max" contract here that he most likely could get at a larger university. He'll get paid of course but it will be the intangibles that will make the difference - not the dollars and cents. Again, you get that but you are simply being intentionally obtuse to try and further your point. Let me put into this closer perspective - do you go to the fall baseball practices only because they are free?

I've provided you multiple names of well known situations that are in direct conflict with the premise of your question - another data point for you - if you will. Should you want to know the exact details of those instances - google is your friend. I've no intention of chasing myself around this mulberry bush you've created.
Well said. I think Zipp just likes to stir it!

You've simply quoted coaches who have returned "home". That's not proof of anything, and of course there are plenty of those examples.

What people are speculating is that a top shelf coach will make financial compromises to take a job he really wants, like Brohm to U of L. I simply asked for examples of where/when that's happened. Don't get upset...If you don't have them, that's fine...

No crystal ball but if Pudue has a great yr Brohm will be contacted by alot of big fish. Beating tosu convincingly, not via fluke or weather aided puts him on everybody's radar.

What $ amount can Auburn offer? Who else figures to be shopping?

Agreed. Brohm could zoom right past the Louisville job regardless of the cost.

Most of the Brohm drum beaters overlook that Mack just left his alma mater for money and opportunity. Maybe Mack's not cut like Brohm...

'zipp' holds people accountable for their statements. True, that often has the side effect of "stirring things up"...

At the same time being a flaming hypocrite who constantly moves the goalpost.

The arena, Pitino, Jurich, Tyra, Mack, now Brohm. You keep striking out.

Keep up being a contrarian.

At the same time being a flaming hypocrite who constantly moves the goalpost.

The arena, Pitino, Jurich, Tyra, Mack, now Brohm. You keep striking out.

Keep up being a contrarian.
If you have specific examples of my "hypocrisy", you know I'd love to hear them. That is, when you're writing big checks for Petrino's buyout...

You've simply quoted coaches who have returned "home". That's not proof of anything, and of course there are plenty of those examples.

What people are speculating is that a top shelf coach will make financial compromises to take a job he really wants, like Brohm to U of L. I simply asked for examples of where/when that's happened. Don't get upset...If you don't have them, that's fine...
Providing names of coaches who “returned home or to their alma mater” was exactly what you asked for - sorry that it bothers you that you couldn’t come up with those basic examples. In those instances - those coaches made financial compromises to take - or keep - jobs they really wanted. I’m not upset in the slightest - if anything you seem upset to be called out (again) on your intellectual dishonesty for the sake of trying to be “right”.

It really is your least endearing quality. :)

$14 million for Petrino. $6 million for Jurich. $4 million for Brohm’s Purdue buyout. $4 million for Brohm’s first year coaching at UL. Another $4.5 million for his staff’s first year at UL.

Does the university of Louisville athletic department have $32.5 million dollars to spend in December of 2018? You want Jeff Brohm, that’s what you are going to have to pay. And yes, he probably would take a home town discount. Given his abilities, $4 million a year *is* the home town discount.

I am positive he is going to leave Purdue for a better job long before he retires or gets fired. But I am also positive that job isn’t going to be Louisville. Removing the alma mater angle, it would be at best a lateral move. I am positive his career ambitions are quite a bit higher than Louisville. If he leaves, he’s not going to go rebuild another lower tier P5 dumpster fire. It’s going to be an Auburn, USC, or Ohio State type job.

Reactions: CATFANFOLIFE87
Providing names of coaches who “returned home or to their alma mater” was exactly what you asked for - sorry that it bothers you that you couldn’t come up with those basic examples. In those instances - those coaches made financial compromises to take - or keep - jobs they really wanted. I’m not upset in the slightest - if anything you seem upset to be called out (again) on your intellectual dishonesty for the sake of trying to be “right”.

It really is your least endearing quality. :)
No, you haven't provided any examples and you know that. You saying "those coaches made financial compromises" don't make it so. And your fighting that battle merely confirms what I suspected--it hasn't happened with other good coaches.

But hey, maybe Brohm's the first. If he is, it only means there's something even better about the guy than I'm giving him credit for. Let's hope that happens...

$14 million for Petrino. $6 million for Jurich. $4 million for Brohm’s Purdue buyout. $4 million for Brohm’s first year coaching at UL. Another $4.5 million for his staff’s first year at UL.

Does the university of Louisville athletic department have $32.5 million dollars to spend in December of 2018? You want Jeff Brohm, that’s what you are going to have to pay. And yes, he probably would take a home town discount. Given his abilities, $4 million a year *is* the home town discount.

I am positive he is going to leave Purdue for a better job long before he retires or gets fired. But I am also positive that job isn’t going to be Louisville. Removing the alma mater angle, it would be at best a lateral move. I am positive his career ambitions are quite a bit higher than Louisville. If he leaves, he’s not going to go rebuild another lower tier P5 dumpster fire. It’s going to be an Auburn, USC, or Ohio State type job.

Unless it’s a really whacky contract I don’t think their salaries have to be paid out in one month.

ADVERTISEMENT