ADVERTISEMENT

Gophers senior center Matz Stockman to transfer

He didnt play 1 game at Minny. He isn't good. He was a project that never panned out.

He's a one year rental that would probably only play out of necessity. He's a big body thats about all you can say about him and because we know he won't tie up a scholarship past this year I say if we can't use the scholarship, why not bring him in. Its not going to change anything about next seasons team whether he's here or not.

Pitino has had a kid drafted into the NBA in each of the last 5 years and also won a title. Not sure where your statement is coming from.

Pitino has had a kid drafted into the NBA in each of the last 5 years and also won a title. Not sure where your statement is coming from.

The low number of Louisville players who landed on an NBA roster during Rick's time here was shockingly low. We can talk about his ability to coach and prepare a team but for the most part his recruiting was substandard.

Reactions: Smithereen
You want NBA, follow Duke or the team down the road.

The last time I checked those kids still played for Duke. 1-2 OAD per year built around multi year players is the key to success. To act like you don’t want or wouldn’t want a player like Bagley for one year is hilarious. It takes an NBA player on the team to win a college title. Give me one time in the last 5 years that won a title without an NBA player. I’ll wait. I’ll be waiting awhile actually.

The last time I checked those kids still played for Duke. 1-2 OAD per year built around multi year players is the key to success. To act like you don’t want or wouldn’t want a player like Bagley for one year is hilarious. It takes an NBA player on the team to win a college title. Give me one time in the last 5 years that won a title without an NBA player. I’ll wait. I’ll be waiting awhile actually.
As usual, you don’t understand. I love the Rozier’s and Mitchell’s that go on to play in the NBA. I just don’t want to target NBA talent as our priority for our team. I would take a dozen Luke Hancock’s, Kyle Kuric’s, Peyton Siva’s any day. If you’re looking for NBA talent, you probably miss on these guys. You want good players that turn into leaders and young men with great character, not just freakish athletes.

You want NBA, follow Duke or the team down the road.
Thanks for your help but I have followed the program long enough to know we were capable of much better recruiting while Pitino was here. When Pitino had talent as in 2013, he won. The problem is, we did not have nearly as much talent most of the time as we should have. That is why we only went to one Final Four before 2012. Our inability to recruit big men was often embarrassing and that is how we wound up with Pitino's International House of Projects (IHOP) that included Stockman. Just absurd especially when lesser programs were getting better talent or even taking local Louisville talent that Rick turned up his nose at and being productive.

As usual, you don’t understand. I love the Rozier’s and Mitchell’s that go on to play in the NBA. I just don’t want to target NBA talent as our priority for our team. I would take a dozen Luke Hancock’s, Kyle Kuric’s, Peyton Siva’s any day. If you’re looking for NBA talent, you probably miss on these guys. You want good players that turn into leaders and young men with great character, not just freakish athletes.
You make those 3 guys sound like walk ons or something. Siva was a McD AA, Kyle was obviously a talented and underrated player, and Hancock could flat out play. They could have played for us even if we had substantially more talent. When you have to play a 6'4 outside player like Kuric at the 4 position, which we sometimes did, its a disgrace and something Kuric should never be asked to do. But that is just more proof of Pitino's lack of recruiting.

When you have to play a 6'4 outside player like Kuric at the 4 position, which we sometimes did, its a disgrace and something Kuric should never be asked to do. But that is just more proof of Pitino's lack of recruiting.

I agree that big man recruiting could have been better some years but your example above for Kuric is a bad one.

He had to play PF that year because the starting and back up PFs both had season ending injuries that season.

Reactions: nccardfan
You make those 3 guys sound like walk ons or something. Siva was a McD AA, Kyle was obviously a talented and underrated player, and Hancock could flat out play. They could have played for us even if we had substantially more talent. When you have to play a 6'4 outside player like Kuric at the 4 position, which we sometimes did, its a disgrace and something Kuric should never be asked to do. But that is just more proof of Pitino's lack of recruiting.
You had better stop there just shows your ignorance on basketball. You can fault CRP’s personal life but he was as good a basketball coach as there was.

I agree Mike, it seemed like nearly every year we were lacking talent at a certain position and would have to piece meal or play a player out of their natural position. Some seasons it was no center, other seasons not PF, others no point or SG. Most of the time I felt we were one player shy of putting a starting lineup out there that had all the parts needed.

Give me Bob Huggins or Jim Boeheim with some 3 and 4 star players over Calimari and his 5 top burger boys any day! That’s why he felt he had to go get a grad transfer. When that fails, maybe he’ll look in the mirror.
And I will take a great coach with great talent any day. History tells us you are way more likely to win a national title with well coached great talent than well coached good talent. The exceptions are few and far between. I hope Mack can keep two or three 5 star players on the roster every year. If he does that we will be a contender most of the time in a way we were not with Pitino.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT