ADVERTISEMENT

Glad we didn't hire Brohm

Chapman123

800+
Jan 20, 2018
Louisville
Let those idiots pay him 6 mil a year for this crap. Is the big ten that bad ???

Petrino/Louisville played with Auburn and busted 3 Rd ranked Florida under strong! Purdue is and always will be garbage

I AM SO GLAD we didn't end up with Brohm

Reactions: cardinalrod
I think the OSU game was the anomaly since they had no other games where they played like that. PU has had other srinkers this year. I think we made the right call in Satterfield.
I agree. The only anomaly was PSU beating OSU the way they did. It got coach Brohm a nice fat pay raise though so I'm happy for him. Even happier he is sticking it to Purdue. LOL.

I think the OSU game was the anomaly since they had no other games where they played like that. PU has had other srinkers this year. I think we made the right call in Satterfield.
I love hiring Satterfield but give me a break about JB’s year at Purdue. He took over a sagging wreck of a bottom feeder in the Big 10 less than 2 years ago and has done more with less than anyone could have imagined. Yes, that includes beating the crap out of of Top 10 Ohio St team and pounding a physical Boston College team this year not to mention what Brohm did to get it started last year.

I get that we as Cards fans want to prove him wrong for staying at Purdue but let’s at least see how this plays out, just a little for Gods sake.

That guy in West Lafayette has lost as many games as he has won in two seasons there. I don’t believe Louisville fans are making fun of his “accomplishment”. I believe we are reveling in the thought that anyone would be willing to pay 6 million dollars for those results thus far.

Let’s be honest. All Purdue’s coach has done is recruit one exceptional player to his program from his hometown. A player that UofL didn’t even recruit.

All I can say to the “One Win Wonder” is you’re going to have a tough time recruiting Louisville kids to Middle of Nowhere, Cornfield County, Indiana with Coach Satterfield running the program in your hometown.

I love hiring Satterfield but give me a break about JB’s year at Purdue. He took over a sagging wreck of a bottom feeder in the Big 10 less than 2 years ago and has done more with less than anyone could have imagined. Yes, that includes beating the crap out of of Top 10 Ohio St team and pounding a physical Boston College team this year not to mention what Brohm did to get it started last year.

I get that we as Cards fans want to prove him wrong for staying at Purdue but let’s at least see how this plays out, just a little for Gods sake.

At least you get it...

Purdue probably has the worst collection of overall talent on its roster in all of power 5. Hazell absolutely destroyed the program with his four #79 ranked overall recruiting classes. Last year Brohm had to bring in grad transfers to duct tape together a team. May have to do a bit of the same in year 3 but they should be improved next year. At least 7 regular season wins. Year 4 is when things should really start clicking

Lots of sour grapes in this thread. Frankly, it’s not a good look.

Having said that, the Auburn beatdown of Purdue yesterday was an ass-kicking of epic proportions. 56-7 at the half, and Auburn takes a knee at the Purdue one to keep from scoring 70. Yeesh. Jeff had better apologize profusely to the Purdue fans who made that trip.

I also do hope that Coach Brohm loses every recruiting battle he gets into against Coach Satterfieid.

The main concern with Brohm is his offense is a finesse/passing offense in a division that is polar opposite with multiple teams that play physical run base systems along with solid defenses. You have to be able to run the ball in that division. Purdue last year was 103rd in rushing offense....Louisville was 102nd ouch. The other problem with Brohm is his teams defensively have been just OK and bad at times.

I am convinced you have to be able to run the ball and play good defense to compete at the highest level. The only odd ball in the playoffs is Oklahoma. FYI I bet they get absolutely destroyed by Alabama. The other 3 are physical run based teams with great defenses.

Brohm may regret not coming to Louisville. The West is getting better in a hurry. Minnesota was extremely young and looked terrific in the 2nd half of the year. Frost will get Nebraksa back. The west has 5 teams that are identical physical, well coached, and disciplined teams. They will all beat up on each other.

Louisville may have gotten the better coach. His system mirrors what the elite teams do, run the ball and play solid defense. I really thought that is what Petrino was going to bring when he came back. The Jackson offense was run based but not in the physical way the Lefors team was with Bush/Shelton/Gates/Smith. It was more finesse. I still don't understand why his offensive lines weren't more physical. Still confused on what happened. Satterfield looks like Petrino 1st go around.

Reactions: Law007

That's the point. He took over a sagging wreck of a bottom feeder in the Big 10 that has been and will always be a B1G bottom feeder in my lifetime, yet all the low class idiotic Purdoo fans who came over here to gloat as if they're on par with Alabama was enough to change my mind about how I hope things turn out for him there. He gets to stick it to them for a ridiculous salary, makes a lot of money then gets to move on to a real coaching job while the Purdoo fans get to whine about how great they could have been.

Last edited:
Remember when this place was lousy with Boils about a month ago rubbing their coach in our face? I’m sure they still feel great about their keep, but I, for one, couldn’t feel great about that beat down.

10,000 more empty seats without Brohm doesn't make me glad for anything...
You don’t know that those seats would be filled with Brohm or will be empty with Satterfield. Like I’ve said so many times, it’s about this little thing called “winning”.

You don’t know that those seats would be filled with Brohm or will be empty with Satterfield. Like I’ve said so many times, it’s about this little thing called “winning”.
"Filled" and "empty" are extremes. I said 10,000 seats.

But you're saying that an overwhelming majority of fans didn't want Brohm over another football coach? And that there's so much support for "Vince" that it didn't matter which coach he hired?

Nobody's winning big here right away. But "Vince" needs to balance his budget right away...

"Filled" and "empty" are extremes. I said 10,000 seats.

But you're saying that an overwhelming majority of fans didn't want Brohm over another football coach? And that there's so much support for "Vince" that it didn't matter which coach he hired?

Nobody's winning big here right away. But "Vince" needs to balance his budget right away...
If we’d have signed Brohm you’d have said that we paid too much. I’ve been accused of being a pessimist more than once, you on the other hand live it 24-7. You’re constant pounding of the drum against the AD is a tired broken record.

Reactions: AKG17
Coach Dabo was close to being fired before his luck changed, which coincidentally had something to do with Spurrier retiring and USCjr not being able to win back recruits.
The one reality we can all agree with is if you don't recruit at a high level your not beating the brand names that recruit classes in the top 10 on a consistent basis. That is why you only are seeing brand names in the playoffs every year. That is the a sobering reality because 90 percent of the of the program's competing for titles have no shot.

Reactions: BleedinGold
If we’d have signed Brohm you’d have said that we paid too much. I’ve been accused of being a pessimist more than once, you on the other hand live it 24-7. You’re constant pounding of the drum against the AD is a tired broken record.
I said that firing Petrino and hiring Brohm to the tune of $24 million was a boondoggle. We didn't have the money, and there was no chance that outlay would pay back anytime soon. In large part, I've said that was due to Brohm being overrated as a head coach. The Music City Bowl result didn't exactly make me look bad.

Paying $15 million or so to bring in Satterfield after very publicly going after the unanimous fan favorite was another PR disaster for "Vince". And there's no question it will come at the expense of fan support, as in attendance. More fans, recruits, and money would have accompanied Brohm, justified or not.

Appreciate the opportunity to clarify my position. And if you're getting tired of this "broken record", I've told Jack Coffee that I would suggest folks move behind his pay-wall ("Collision Course") to get away from it/me. I'm trying to keep most of this here on the free side, and you don't have to thank me...

Reactions: Law007 and swurv99
I said that firing Petrino and hiring Brohm to the tune of $24 million was a boondoggle. We didn't have the money, and there was no chance that outlay would pay back anytime soon. In large part, I've said that was due to Brohm being overrated as a head coach. The Music City Bowl result didn't exactly make me look bad.

Paying $15 million or so to bring in Satterfield after very publicly going after the unanimous fan favorite was another PR disaster for "Vince". And there's no question it will come at the expense of fan support, as in attendance. More fans, recruits, and money would have accompanied Brohm, justified or not.

Appreciate the opportunity to clarify my position. And if you're getting tired of this "broken record", I've told Jack Coffee that I would suggest folks move behind his pay-wall ("Collision Course") to get away from it/me. I'm trying to keep most of this here on the free side, and you don't have to thank me...

Oh, isn’t this just lovely? “Zipp” creating a hypothetical to try and make Mr. Tyra look bad, even though the hypothetical is unsubstantial. “Zipp,” your credibility on this board since Jurich was fired has been dropping at an alarming rate. Maybe stick to the Collision Course for a few years, let Mr. Tyra have a chance to actually do his job and have proper time to be graded on actual events that are real and not some made up “Zippish” fantasies. Just some friendly, and evidently much needed, advice.

Oh, isn’t this just lovely? “Zipp” creating a hypothetical to try and make Mr. Tyra look bad, even though the hypothetical is unsubstantial. “Zipp,” your credibility on this board since Jurich was fired has been dropping at an alarming rate. Maybe stick to the Collision Course for a few years, let Mr. Tyra have a chance to actually do his job and have proper time to be graded on actual events that are real and not some made up “Zippish” fantasies. Just some friendly, and evidently much needed, advice.
There's nothing hypothetical about the fan support for Brohm. It was overwhelming. People here like KR said "done deal", just a matter of time. Except for me, very few pushed back. (I said from the get-go that Brohm lost too many head scratchers.)

Tyra lost out on the obvious choice. "Vince" thought he was all in, except he probably got a little cheap in the final analysis. But he still spent dearly to bring in a new coach. Maybe Satterfield's even better than Brohm, but it doesn't matter if he ain't the fan favorite. There won't be the outpouring of fan support there would have been for the hometown boy bringing in hometown recruits.

My credibility's looking pretty good on all "Vince" related subjects. He's bleeding money at a huge clip, and now he's bleeding coaches. Eventually, that stuff translates to wins and (more) losses. And I have no issue with being patient. God willing and luckily for everyone, I'll still be here to talk about it...

There's nothing hypothetical about the fan support for Brohm. It was overwhelming. People here like KR said "done deal", just a matter of time. Except for me, very few pushed back. (I said from the get-go that Brohm lost too many head scratchers.)

Tyra lost out on the obvious choice. "Vince" thought he was all in, except he probably got a little cheap in the final analysis. But he still spent dearly to bring in a new coach. Maybe Satterfield's even better than Brohm, but it doesn't matter if he ain't the fan favorite. There won't be the outpouring of fan support there would have been for the hometown boy bringing in hometown recruits.

My credibility's looking pretty good on all "Vince" related subjects. He's bleeding money at a huge clip, and now he's bleeding coaches. Eventually, that stuff translates to wins and (more) losses. And I have no issue with being patient. God willing and luckily for everyone, I'll still be here to talk about it...

You absolutely created a hypothetical when you so facile stated that Brohm would have pulled in more fans, recruits, and money than Satterfield. There is no way it could ever be empirically proven.

Blah, blah, blah, blah...

You absolutely created a hypothetical when you so facile stated that Brohm would have pulled in more fans, recruits, and money than Satterfield. There is no way it could ever be empirically proven.
You're right. Brohm's popularity as U of L's next football coach was shaky at best...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
You're right. Brohm's popularity as U of L's next football hire was shaky at best...

What on earth are you babbling about? When did i ever say Brohm would not have been a popular hire?

You presented, as fact, that Brohm would have pulled in more money, fans, and recruits than Satterfield, in an attempt to belittle Mr. Tyra’s coaching hire. Now you’re trying to put words in my mouth.

Ive asked you before but you didnt answer, so ill ask again. What did Mr. Tyra do to “Zipp” for “Zipp” to wage this war against him?

What on earth are you babbling about? When did i ever say Brohm would not have been a popular hire?

You presented, as fact, that Brohm would have pulled in more money, fans, and recruits than Satterfield, in an attempt to belittle Mr. Tyra’s coaching hire. Now you’re trying to put words in my mouth...
Then why did "Vince" go after Brohm? Because they're both Trinity grads? Why was Brohm the #1 choice with no obvious 2nd until Brohm turned him down?

Not A popular hire. THE popular hire by a moonshot. As usual, "Vince" just didn't get it done...

Then why did "Vince" go after Brohm? Because they're both Trinity grads? Why was Brohm the #1 choice with no obvious 2nd until Brohm turned him down?

Not A popular hire. THE popular hire by a moonshot. As usual, "Vince" just didn't get it done...

Obviously he was his first choice for several reasons, former player, former coach here, his whole family played here, yada yada yada. None of this has anything to do with your assumption that Brohm would pull more money, recruits, and fans than Satterfield. There is no way to prove that statement, which you are trying to do by saying Brohm would have been the more populare hire, which again, does not prove your statement. It’s easy to make “definitive” statements to make people look bad, especially when we’ll never be able to prove that statement right or wrong.

However, Mr. Tyra did get it done, he didn’t overpay for Brohm, even though he was the obvious (and most popular) first choice. Bravo to VINCE, he kept his wits at the negotiation table, and he got us an up and comer who seems to have fire. Hopefully the hire works out for us.

Reactions: cardrock
Obviously he was his first choice for several reasons, former player, former coach here, his whole family played here, yada yada yada. None of this has anything to do with your assumption that Brohm would pull more money, recruits, and fans than Satterfield...
Of course not. There's absolutely no reason in the world, certainly nothing tangible, why you would go all in to get one guy over everyone else combined. Has nothing to do with money or fan support.

260px-River_Nile_map.svg.png

Of course not. There's absolutely no reason in the world, certainly nothing tangible, why you would go all in to get one guy over everyone else combined. Has nothing to do with money or fan support.

Again “Zipp” you’re just assuming we didnt have the money to pay Brohm, when any UofL fan with any sense knows it would have been foolish to try to outbid what Purdue is paying Brohm. This has zero to do with denial (are all your arguments based off assumptions?). That salary that Purdue gave Brohm is not justified, and although i can’t speak for all UofL fans I can tell you im happy Vinve did not try to outbid them.

If you really take a step back and take away the hometown boy title.....Brohm hasn't done much if anything in his career "yet". He may or may not, but 6 mil a year is a gamble and after last Friday....I am really glad we didn't. He looks like Petrino light. If he came here and had to be fired at some point, it would have been an akward situation. He can stay at Purdue and go 6-7 every year and they will be happy. Not here

Before any hiring was made and rumors were flying that Petrino was getting fired...Zipp was all about saying UofL shouldn't and can't afford to pay a lot for a coach. Now that Vince didn't land the first,. Zipp is all over it like fly on dog shit with a different agenda.

Same song different day

Last edited:
unless you are playing for a title, bowl games should not be a tool to judge coaching. giving kids a month off effects them. some want to play, some don't, but don't judge how good a coach is by how a team does in an insignificant exhibition game. every single one of us wanted brohm to come here and sour grapes to wish bad upon him

Reactions: BleedinGold
If we had paid Brohm $6m he'd BETTER win big and win FAST.

And I don't think he would have.

Either way he went, it was probably going to end up somewhere between apathy and anger with UL fans.

He's with Ramsey, TJ, RP, and BP today.

Gone, with no looking back

Again “Zipp” you’re just assuming we didnt have the money to pay Brohm, when any UofL fan with any sense knows it would have been foolish to try to outbid what Purdue is paying Brohm. This has zero to do with denial (are all your arguments based off assumptions?). That salary that Purdue gave Brohm is not justified, and although i can’t speak for all UofL fans I can tell you im happy Vinve did not try to outbid them.
You were willing to pay $23 million to dump Petrino and get Brohm. But you weren't willing to pay $24 million. No lunacy in that.

giphy.gif

...Before any hiring was made and rumors were flying that Petrino was getting fired...Zipp was all about saying UofL shouldn't and can't afford to pay a lot for a coach. Now that Vince didn't land the first,. Zipp is all over it like fly on dog shit with a different agenda.

Same song different day
Unlike many posters, 'zipp' knows how to focus on the issues...

It was stupid as hell to spend $20+ million to dump Petrino to get Brohm. It would never be (or become) cost justified. And I don't think Brohm is destined for greatness.

BUT ONCE YOU EMBARK DOWN THAT PATH, YOU GET THE JOB DONE. ...Unlike "Vince" was able to do. He's spent nearly $20 million, and he ends up with Purdue's sloppy seconds. That's because he's in an AD job over his head. He doesn't know what he's doing. He loses money AND he loses coaches.

Glad I could clarify that point. Thanks for bringing it up...

Last edited:
You were willing to pay $23 million to dump Petrino and get Brohm. But you weren't willing to pay $24 million. No lunacy in that.

So this is what you do when you lose an argument, you create a straw man. This is the second time you’ve done this to me in this thread alone.

What did Vince do to you personally “Zipp” to make you hate him so much? The guy keeps making all the right moves and you just keep dogging him. Look man, i liked Jurich too, but he sealed his fate letting Pitino get away with an affair that embarrassed the univeristy, then he didn’t fire him when again one of Pitino’s coaches were treating our dorm rooms like the back rooms at the .25 peep shows. It’s not Vince’s fault that Jurich made the wrong call on Pitino, and Vince is doing his best here, what’s wrong with a little support?

The one reality we can all agree with is if you don't recruit at a high level your not beating the brand names that recruit classes in the top 10 on a consistent basis. That is why you only are seeing brand names in the playoffs every year. That is the a sobering reality because 90 percent of the of the program's competing for titles have no shot.
We don’t know that for sure. Who knows if UCF puts on a better performance than Notre Dame. The CFP is slighted towards the P5 conferences. Also who’s to say that Georgia didn’t deserve it over OU but pundits didn’t want a rematch of SEC championship so there is some subjectivity built in as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT