ADVERTISEMENT

Game grade?

Sirmon still needs to go. The run was there for Kent State a lot of times than not. 3rd and 13 turned into a 1st down on a QB SCRAMBLE multiple times.

I think the D played much better in the 2nd half but still needs improvement. The O-line is what it is. They need experience. LJ isn’t playing his best right now. Bright spot Pass looked pretty good.

I'm going with a D.

44 point favorite and won by 39. Didn't cover the spread. Gave up WAY too many yards after contact on defense. Too many turnovers and a lack of true focus.

The good news is Murray State is next and the team is 3-1 with their only loss (so far) to the defending national champs.

Hard to give any sort of real grade as bad as Kent st. is. With neither of their QBs being able to throw the ball 10 yards downfield, it wasn’t hard to know what was coming. That said, our lack of size at LB created a lot of YAC. That big freshman RB of theirs run over and through the LBs several times.

Sirmon still is no bueno IMO.

Reactions: Louisvillian
C+ Too many TOs. Lamar gets a C.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

My issue is that we should have been able to establish a run game and we only outgained Kent by a little. That's disturbing. We should have had this game in hand sooner so the young guys get more reps. Liked what I saw from Pass and Wilson!

Tough crowd. You all have to realize that we didn't cover because Kent state ran a play about every 30 seconds and we turned it over 4 times. They played not to lose big. Complaining about defense?! We gave up 150 yds and 3 points playing a lot of freshmen. We can stop the run and that's what Kent state did. I would be more curious to see how we fare against teams that throw the ball around the yard, so I would give the defense a B+ because Kent state was so vanilla. The offense gets a B- because of the turnovers and a couple of 3 and outs. I liked what I saw from Williams and Wilson.

I'm glad Bobby played a lot of young guys. He clearly was unhappy with the effort against Clemson and is getting some guys attention. We'll see what they are made of going forward

Incomplete.

I reiterate. This game and the next are practices.

Glad to see all the players who played.

Go Cards !

I don't get the focus on the spread. If you bet $$ on the Cards that is tough with the fumble at the 5 late, but Kent ran the play clock down every play which makes covering a 6 TD spread tough. The defense essentially pitched a shutout, as the field goal was after a Lamar fumble where Kent went three and out and kicked a 47 yarder. They allowed 2.6 yards per carry on the ground to an option team, forced three turnovers, and scored a TD. Even against an abysmal team that's a good day at the office.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
I don't get the focus on the spread. If you bet $$ on the Cards that is tough with the fumble at the 5 late, but Kent ran the play clock down every play which makes covering a 6 TD spread tough. The defense essentially pitched a shutout, as the field goal was after a Lamar fumble where Kent went three and out and kicked a 47 yarder. They allowed 2.6 yards per carry on the ground to an option team, forced three turnovers, and scored a TD. Even against an abysmal team that's a good day at the office.
The spread is our measuring stick. The people who set those lines are the true experts. Had the Cards not got in their own way, they would have covered easily. That's the large bitter pill a win like this comes with. 3 turnovers by the returning Heisman winner against a horrible team is about as bitter as it gets.

BTW, if Kent State would have scored a touchdown then this defense would have failed today. Kent State had 1 FG against Clemson, 0 points against Marshall, and 1 FG today. They've played 3 power 5 teams and have managed a total of 6 points. Hell, they only beat the Howard Bison by 7 at home. Kent State does not have a good football team. They need work just to be a bad football team.

Reactions: BPGhost
The spread is our measuring stick. The people who set those lines are the true experts. Had the Cards not got in their own way, they would have covered easily. That's the large bitter pill a win like this comes with. 3 turnovers by the returning Heisman winner against a horrible team is about as bitter as it gets.

BTW, if Kent State would have scored a touchdown then this defense would have failed today. Kent State had 1 FG against Clemson, 0 points against Marshall, and 1 FG today. They've played 3 power 5 teams and have managed a total of 6 points. Hell, they only beat the Howard Bison by 7 at home. Kent State does not have a good football team. They need work just to be a bad football team.

Not covering a 42 1/2 point spread by "only" winning by 39 is negligible. If the spread is truly the measuring stick, the difference between a good and bad performance could be said to come down to a third string WR fumbling a ball at the 5-yard line in garbage time. The spread when it's that big is irrelevant when you come within a few points.. sucks if you had money on it, but I'd argue betting on a spread that large isn't a smart bet anyways, too many variables when non-regulars are playing.

The offense shot itself in the foot too many times today and it's troubling the lack of push the O-line could get against the Kent D-line at times, although they were able to run between the tackles better in the second half, so I don't disagree with you there. But any complaints against the defense are just nitpicking, they allowed a similar amount of yards (150) to Clemson (120) and only allowed a FG due to the offense turning the ball over in FG range for Kent.

Last edited:
Not covering a 42 1/2 point spread by "only" winning by 39 is a negligible. If the spread is truly the measuring stick, the difference between a good and bad performance could be said to come down to a third string WR fumbling a ball at the 5-yard line in garbage time. The spread when it's that big is irrelevant when you come within a few points.. sucks if you had money on it, but I'd argue betting on a spread that large isn't a smart bet anyways, too many variables when non-regulars are playing.

The offense shot itself in the foot too many times today and it's troubling the lack of push the O-line could get against the Kent D-line at times, although they were able to run between the tackles better in the second half, so I don't disagree with you there. But any complaints against the defense are just nitpicking, they allowed a similar amount of yards (150) to Clemson (120) and only allowed a FG due to the offense turning the ball over in FG range for Kent.
Love your post. A solid retort and hard to argue with. I didn't have money on the game, but I'm sure people who did are pretty ticked off if they gave up the points and bet on the Cards.

On the flip side, UofK just covered the spread and lost their 31st straight game to Florida.

I'm happy. :D:D:D:D

Reactions: arizan
Love your post. A solid retort and hard to argue with. I didn't have money on the game, but I'm sure people who did are pretty ticked off if they gave up the points and bet on the Cards.

On the flip side, UofK just covered the spread and lost their 31st straight game to Florida.

I'm happy. :D:D:D:D

I'll take a win over a cover any day. As has been said by many this week, it's essentially a prep for NC State in two weeks. That game looks a lot tougher after today.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
bq604.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT