ADVERTISEMENT

Game by game prediction

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Okay, to get things fired up with August arriving, I'm going to give my game by game prediction for the Cards. With most of the college football experts still not convinced the Cards are a possible contender for the ACC most if not all predictions have UofL #3 in the ACC and #4 counting both divisions. Well, I disagree.

1. Louisville 55 Charlotte 3
2. Louisville 42 Syracuse 20
3. Louisville 30 Florida State 24
4. Louisville 45 Marshall 14
5. Clemson 34 Louisville 30
6. Louisville 52 Duke 20
7. Louisville 38 NC State 23
8. Louisville 41 Virginia 16
9. Louisville 35 Boston College 10
10. Louisville 38 Wake Forest 7
11. Louisville 52 Houston 27
12. Louisville 44 Kentucky 14

ACC
Clemson 7-1 11-1
Louisville 7-1 11-1
Fla State 6-2 10-2

Clemson wins Atlantic division but Louisville gets a top notch bowl and a possible playoff.

So there you go. Depending on what other teams do, a 1 loss Cards team with wins over Fla State and Houston could sneak into the playoff.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Okay, to get things fired up with August arriving, I'm going to give my game by game prediction for the Cards. With most of the college football experts still not convinced the Cards are a possible contender for the ACC most if not all predictions have UofL #3 in the ACC and #4 counting both divisions. Well, I disagree.

6. Louisville 52 Duke 20

ACC
Clemson 7-1 11-1
Louisville 7-1 11-1
Fla State 6-2 10-2

Clemson wins Atlantic division but Louisville gets a top notch bowl and a possible playoff.

So there you go. Depending on what other teams do, a 1 loss Cards team with wins over Fla State and Houston could sneak into the playoff.
Not a bad prediction. But In my opinion a more likely scenario is this:

ACC
Clemson 7-1 11-1
Louisville 7-1 11-1
FSU 7-1 11-1

Clemson has to play us in Tallahassee. Clemson has beaten Florida State 1 time in 12 tries in Tallahassee since FSU joined the ACC in 1992. The only time Clemson beat FSU in Tally since FSU joined the ACC 24 years ago was 2006 and FSU went 7-6 that season. 2006 was the year before Jimbo Fisher arrived as FSU's Offensive Coordinator in 2007. Clemson does have Deshaun Watson but beating a preseason Top 5 FSU team in Tallahassee will be a tall order. If they do it, more credit to them. But you could very well see a three way tie atop the Atlantic and then I have no idea how the tiebreaker would work.

I see you have Clemson losing a game which I guess you are assuming they'll lose to us. I think for us Louisville on the Road is the toughest game on our schedule. I am glad that game is kicking off at Noon on ABC instead of 8 PM on ABC. All of our other toughest games other than Miami on the Road are either at Home or at Neutral sites.

Last edited:

6. Louisville 52 Duke 20

ACC
Clemson 7-1 11-1
Louisville 7-1 11-1
Fla State 6-2 10-2

Stop doing this stuff to yourselves. We aren't blowing out 10 opponents on the way to 11-1. We have our share of dumb, homer fans. We'll be extremely lucky to win at Houston (Marshall too) and you've got us winning both by 30. Nothing else outside of FSU and Clemson is less than a 2 TD game. Absolute silliness

Stop doing this stuff to yourselves. We aren't blowing out 10 opponents on the way to 11-1. We have our share of dumb, homer fans. We'll be extremely lucky to win at Houston (Marshall too) and you've got us winning both by 30. Nothing else outside of FSU and Clemson is less than a 2 TD game. Absolute silliness

We'll beat them both...Marshall by 21+...Houston by 3-7!!!

:cool:

6. Louisville 52 Duke 20

ACC
Clemson 7-1 11-1
Louisville 7-1 11-1
Fla State 6-2 10-2

So you actually think that Petrino will call off the dogs against Kentucky?

UL 268 Charlotte 0
UL 60 Syracuse 3
UL 38 FSU 13 (Whew that was a close one)
UL 54 Marshall 2 (Gave them a safety at the end---kinder and gentler Bobby)
UL 27 Clemson 20 (What's wrong with Petrino)
UL 49 Duke 0
UL 52 NCSt 0
UL 77 UVa 0
UL 45 BC 6 (can't believe BC scored on us)
UL 109 Wake Forest 1 (we let them kick a PAT cuz we felt sorry for them)
UL 42 Houston 17 (Houston is no joke, especially at home)
UL Eleventy Million Billion UK 0

UL 76 UNC 69 (wait wrong sport)
UL 55 Ohio St. 21 (no one said the playoffs would be easy)
UL 34 Alabama 7 (again!)

If the home team is really improved this year, Real's predictions aren't that far out of line. And I'm sure that significant improvement on offense is what he's predicting.

Even with that optimism, I think he has the Clemson score closer than it turns out. And we would play a couple of those victories closer than he expects due to simple variation in performance.

While we're probably improved, I'm not that optimistic about significant improvement. That will have to be proven. But if it happens, Real's projections aren't that crazy...

If the home team is really improved this year, Real's predictions aren't that far out of line. And I'm sure that significant improvement on offense is what he's predicting.

Even with that optimism, I think he has the Clemson score closer than it turns out. And we would play a couple of those victories closer than he expects due to simple variation in performance.

While we're probably improved, I'm not that optimistic about significant improvement. That will have to be proven. But if it happens, Real's projections aren't that crazy...
I'm basing a lot on the talent and on Petrino's history in year 3. I think all Cards fans realize that for these scores to happen, the OL has to be improved. Most seem to believe this is so. As for the opponents, I think some here are not doing their homework. Marshall lost tons of players, especially on defense. They don't have a program that reloads. The Cards will put a hurting on them big time.

As for Houston, I think that the Cards will be more than ready this time for the Cougars, who I think will have a let down from their great season last year. I believe it will start with them being pummeled by Oklahoma to start the season. And since I have the Cards blowing a good team away by more than usual I also have a couple games where the score is closer than usual. I have the Cards in a let down game against NC State but have enough to win and I have the UK score smaller because in game 12 Petrino removes most of the starters in the 4th qrt.

When it comes to predicting a season, there are several things to consider. Injuries, weather, and surprises can be the difference in 11-1 and 9-3. I predict that the Cards will finally beat Fla State who will have a very inexperienced QB in game three. I think they will give a very good Clemson team another tough game like they have the past two seasons. The Tigers lost a lot of defense from last year.

I predicted big offensive numbers because that is what Petrino wants and does. I see no reason why if Jackson stays healthy all year that this team averages over 40 points a game. Of course anything can happen and we could go 8-4, but that would not be what Petrino has done in his career in year 3. The tools and talent are there so I predicted a strong outcome. Last year I said we would be 9-3 so I'm pretty close.

Reactions: SoulSr
My Head: Losses to FSU, Clemson, Houston. (all close games ). 9-3. Cards win bowl game against SEC school. Cards finish ranked # 16

My Heart: Lose to Clemson (close game). 11-1. Clemson wins Division/ACC/CFP semi/NC. Cards win bowl game against SEC school. Go 12-1. Finish ranked #4.

My Head: Losses to FSU, Clemson, Houston. (all close games ). 9-3. Cards win bowl game against SEC school. Cards finish ranked # 16

My Heart: Lose to Clemson (close game). 11-1. Clemson wins Division/ACC/CFP semi/NC. Cards win bowl game against SEC school. Go 12-1. Finish ranked #4.
Well, if we lose to the three ranked teams on the schedule it will be a disappointing season to me. I think we're beyond that now here in year three. Both Fla State and Clemson lost much more than we did from last season and we were right there in those games despite our very young offense. It's not going to be easy beating them this time around but to say my head says no is just not what I expect with all the talent we have. And this respect for Houston as a loss in the head is way overblown. The Cougars snuck up on teams last season and that won't be the case this season. Being the hunted is not the same as being the hunter. It took Houston everything it had to beat the Cards by three in the second game of the season when the Cards were nowhere as good as they will be when we play again.

My prediction is my head. If I didn't think we matched up with these teams I wouldn't predict a win.

Reactions: SoulSr
Your "predictions" are ridiculous...for the reasons stated above. You seem to be a total homer
Well, I would rather be a homer than a wuss who would rather belittle a fan without so much a reason for your opposite opinion. I would gladly accept some reasoning why you don't expect the Cards can perform like I think they can. What are the problems in your opinion? Why is it so ridiculous to think the Cards can score a lot of points and beat very good teams they almost beat last season when they were not as good? Go ahead, tell me. In fact, tell us all, or are you only capable of calling people names?

Reactions: tkdcoach
Because you have this team blowing out 10 of 12 opponents by an average of over 30 pts. Again it's ridiculous and not based on anything other than blind optimism. Can always tell fb season is close when these types crawl out of the woodwork. I don't mean this bad but I don't think you really put a lot of thought into this. Like you, I'd be ecstatic if this happened. But it isn't going to. Not by a long shot. We have lots of fans that can easily give the UK clowns are run for their money. Your argument that "they can score a lot of points against teams they almost beat last year when they weren't as good" isn't exactly in depth analysis

Well, if we lose to the three ranked teams on the schedule it will be a disappointing season to me. I think we're beyond that now here in year three. Both Fla State and Clemson lost much more than we did from last season and we were right there in those games despite our very young offense. It's not going to be easy beating them this time around but to say my head says no is just not what I expect with all the talent we have. And this respect for Houston as a loss in the head is way overblown. The Cougars snuck up on teams last season and that won't be the case this season. Being the hunted is not the same as being the hunter. It took Houston everything it had to beat the Cards by three in the second game of the season when the Cards were nowhere as good as they will be when we play again.

My prediction is my head. If I didn't think we matched up with these teams I wouldn't predict a win.
That's actually not true. FSU returns 10 starters on offense and 6 starters on defense. But you are correct in that we have questions at Quarterback in that our most talented QB is Redshirt Freshman Deondre Francois and our most experienced QB is Sean Maguire who isn't nearly as talented as Francois. So we have a choice between more talented and less experienced vs less talented and more experienced. But we are stacked in other areas. Louisville is also stacked too which means hence it should be a great game.

Because you have this team blowing out 10 of 12 opponents by an average of over 30 pts. Again it's ridiculous and not based on anything other than blind optimism. Can always tell fb season is close when these types crawl out of the woodwork. I don't mean this bad but I don't think you really put a lot of thought into this. Like you, I'd be ecstatic if this happened. But it isn't going to. Not by a long shot. We have lots of fans that can easily give the UK clowns are run for their money. Your argument that "they can score a lot of points against teams they almost beat last year when they weren't as good" isn't exactly in depth analysis
Where I feel he is going wrong is predicting the score. I never try to predict the actual score of the game. Even Vegas doesn't do that. They give a Point Spread and they give an Over/Under. I try to predict who I feel will win or lose the game based on a lot of factors. When Vegas gives a point spread I will at least try to decide if it would be wise to take the points or lay the points. The Over/Under is a guess whether it will be an overall high scoring game or low scoring game. But predicting actual scores is futile in my opinion.

Where I feel he is going wrong is predicting the score. I never try to predict the actual score of the game. Even Vegas doesn't do that. They give a Point Spread and they give an Over/Under. I try to predict who I feel will win or lose the game based on a lot of factors. When Vegas gives a point spread I will at least try to decide if it would be wise to take the points or lay the points. The Over/Under is a guess whether it will be an overall high scoring game or low scoring game. But predicting actual scores is futile in my opinion.
Well, I really don't expect to get the scores right. I would be a powerball millionaire if I could. The scores are just for fun and somewhat of a sense of how well the Cards offense and defense will be. I think beating Duke, Wake, BC, Syracuse, Virginia, Marshall, UK and Charlotte by 30 points is not ridiculous as Jay has so eloquently opined here. Will some of those games be only 20 point wins? Probably. But the point is I think the Cards are much more talented than those teams and a return of the Bobby Petrino style numbers of 2006 I think are not RIDICULOUS!

As for the Seminoles I know they have a lot back. However, in game three on the road at Louisville, I think 'Noles may be in for a beating even though it will no doubt be a close game. But maybe their freshman QB turns out to be a Watson or a Jackson in their rookie years? We'll have to see.

I said in this post that I was going to get things fired up, just didn't expect it would be from a fellow Cards fan. But, I should of known better.

It's alright to be optimistic. Where the line between optimism and expectation starts to blur is where you run into problems. No chance this U of L team should have expectations placed on it that are close to those in the OP.

And unless you fail to meet expectations, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Optimistic = 11-1
Realistic = 9-3
Disappointment begins < 9-3

Well, you would be wrong. I put quite a bit of thought in it. I have read up on the Cards opponents as well as knowing the expectations of the Cards from the coaches and players. I just don't see why you can't see this team blowing out most of the teams on the schedule. Maybe it won't be 30 points, but 20. So what! Who in the hell is Syracuse, Duke, BC, Wake, Virginia, UK and Marshall anyway? I assume you think we'll rout Charlotte. I gave NC State a shot and the blow out of Houston is just a hunch I have. Even if that's a close game, I still think the Cards should blow away these other teams.

It's not like it's unprecedented with a Petrino coached team. He now has his kind of offensive players who have some experience behind it going up against several middle of the pact teams. He also has a defense he never had before which can score TD's as well, running up the points. I can see many a TD coming from getting the ball with short field distant because of a turnover. I took all of that in account when predicting the scores, which by the way I don't really expect to get right. I do expect the Cards to win those games handily.

I think your adamant thinking that this can't happen by a long shot is just as ridiculous and on par with delusional UK fans, although admittedly they are only delusional about what they can do. We just agree to disagree but I'm not crawling out of the woodwork. I've been a follower of Cards football since Howard and I have been confident before. We'll just have to see.

It's alright to be optimistic. Where the line between optimism and expectation starts to blur is where you run into problems. No chance this U of L team should have expectations placed on it that are close to those in the OP.

And unless you fail to meet expectations, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Optimistic = 11-1
Realistic = 9-3
Disappointment begins < 9-3
Don't really think it's an expectation. At least not with all the football pundits out there. We would be a surprise team if my predictions are true. I think we should be a pre-season top 15 team, maybe higher. But I'm sure if we're ranked at all, it will be closer to the bottom.

Don't know about you but how can you not be disappointed if this team can only beat the middle of the pack teams and lose all three to ranked teams? Yeah, 9-3 looks nice but what does it really mean? It means we still are not where we think we should be. It's not like we were blown out by these teams the past two seasons. Petrino has the weapons and I believe if we lose those three games there's not going to be a lot of content coaches and players at being 9-3. I think their expectations is more in line with mine than the pundits.

So it's a matter of whose expectations that matter. The boys at 93.9 The Ville think we're going to finally beat one of the big two ACC teams and they have said a return of the Petrino numbers from 2006 are very possible.

Optimistic = 11-1
Realistic = 10-2
Disappointment = 9-3 if all 3 losses are to the ranked teams.
Tragedy = anything worse.

It is in fact totally unprecedented for just about anyone to blow out 10 out of 12 teams on its schedule. If it's been done, it's been by teams among the all time greatest ever. Which this team isn't. You can "read up" all you want but your predictions are dumb to anyone that can actually watch games with a critical eye and not blind homerism and tell what's going on. I mean no disrespect but you sound kind of like a fan boy who really doesn't watch much football. But keep "reading up" and listening to "The Boys at 93.9."

Too "the numbers from 2006" are NOT likely (apologies to the experts at 93.9) if for no other reason than the quality of opponents is night and day from 2006. FSU ain't Rutgers. Clemson ain't UConn. We really really have some silly fans.

It is in fact totally unprecedented for just about anyone to blow out 10 out of 12 teams on its schedule. If it's been done, it's been by teams among the all time greatest ever. Which this team isn't. You can "read up" all you want but your predictions are dumb to anyone that can actually watch games with a critical eye and not blind homerism and tell what's going on. I mean no disrespect but you sound kind of like a fan boy who really doesn't watch much football. But keep "reading up" and listening to "The Boys at 93.9."
Okay, in 2004 the Cards won 9 games in what I would deem blowouts.

28 over UK
31 over Army
34 over North Carolina
52 over East Carolina
32 over USF
27 over TCU
38 over Houston
63 over Cincinnati
48 over Tulane

Unprecedented huh?

in 2005 they blew out 7 teams and in 2006 it was 8 teams.

I know you mean know disrespect calling me a homer, dumb and a fanboy. Why would I ever think that? What I do know is I'm a big time fan, having watched or attended every Cardinal football game since the 1990's. I made my opinion out of my expectations. I've been wrong before and I have been right. All fans do this. But I'll never be a fan who attacks another Cards fan just because I may differ in my optimism or in your case, pessimism.

Too "the numbers from 2006" are NOT likely (apologies to the experts at 93.9) if for no other reason than the quality of opponents is night and day from 2006. FSU ain't Rutgers. Clemson ain't UConn. We really really have some silly fans.
See, you don't even pay attention to what you read. I didn't predict blowout wins over Fla State and Clemson. So why use them as an example. I predicted blowouts over BC, Wake, Duke, etc.... You know, the kind of teams the Cards blew out from 2004 to 2006 like UNC, Oregon State, TCU, etc....

Other than FSU, Clemson and Houston, what is exactly the quality of opponent compared to those three years of 2004-06?

Okay, here's my updated less silly, dumb, homer game by game predictions. Don't want to be a laughing stock.

Cards 42 Charlotte 14
Cards 30 Syracuse 27
FSU 35 Cards 24
Cards 28 Marshall 24
Clemson 38 Cards 20
Cards 34 Duke 30
Cards 24 NC State 17
Cards 28 Virginia 20
Cards 21 BC 10
Cards 28 Wake 17
Houston 35 Cards 28
Cards 35 UK 24

9-3 what a season. Average win margin less than 10 points. Lets tear down the goal posts with these expectations.

Army, Cincinnati and Tulane. This is the ACC.....the schedule is cumulative e.g. it wears on you having to get up every week as opposed to 1 or 2 games. That schedule (04?) had awful teams on it. Hell UK is even better now. Yes you're a fan boy who has no idea what he (or she) is talking about. This team is not blowing out 10 of 12 opponents. It isn't as good as 04 or 06---not even close and the schedules are night and day. You should take a couple of days off then try again.

All I said was 9-3, I didn't quotes wins or scores. My guess is we win one of those three marquee games and lose a close one unexpectedly. That pretty much embodies "expected"...

It took NUMEROUS Turnovers and BLOWN coverage on our part to LET Houston beat us!!!

:cool:

UofL 11-0 heading into the UK game with a playoff spot on the line for both teams but Drew Baker seals the Heisman with 6 TD's in a 49-23 Cat's win.

Well, I would rather be a homer than a wuss who would rather belittle a fan without so much a reason for your opposite opinion. I would gladly accept some reasoning why you don't expect the Cards can perform like I think they can. What are the problems in your opinion? Why is it so ridiculous to think the Cards can score a lot of points and beat very good teams they almost beat last season when they were not as good? Go ahead, tell me. In fact, tell us all, or are you only capable of calling people names?

I love your optimistic outlook but Jay is right. It's not rational. Blowing out 10 of 12 opponents by 30 or more points is just not a realistic way of thinking especially considering the strength of this schedule.

I believe we are going to be in a bunch of close games because this schedule is going to prove to be very difficult. Best case scenario is 10-2. Worst case, 8-4

EDIT: Just saw your second, more reasonable game by game prediction. That's probably more in line with what is going to happen, but one never really knows. Your original post could turn out to be true, and I for one hope it is. That would be amazing!

Last edited:
Reactions: American Male
I hope we go 12-0, but I think Zipp's take is more realistic. Maybe we beat one of the big dogs then lose a head scratcher somewhere along the way. That's usually how it goes for most good teams unless they're on a miracle run that year.

Reactions: American Male
Taking a page out of WildCard's book and using the Phil Steele +/- power ratings and adding 5 points for home field advantage ... here is a "grounded" prediction for the 2016 Cards:

UofL over Charlotte by 42
UofL over Syracuse by 11
FSU over Louisville by 3
Louisville over Marshall by 8
Clemson over Louisville by 14
Cards over Duke by 13
Cards over NC State by 11
Cards over Virginia by 6
Cards over BC by 5
Cards over Wake Forest by 16
Houston over Cards by 6
Cards over UK by 13

Overall regular season record: 9-3 (6-2)

Funny ... that's pretty similar to TheRealVille's prediction once he decided not to be a laughingstock!

Last edited:
Taking a page out of WildCard's book and using the Phil Steele +/- power ratings and adding 5 points for home field advantage ... here is a "grounded" prediction for the 2016 Cards:

UofL over Charlotte by 42
UofL over Syracuse by 11
FSU over Louisville by 3
Louisville over Marshall by 8
Clemson over Louisville by 14
Cards over Duke by 13
Cards over NC State by 11
Cards over Virginia by 6
Cards over BC by 5
Cards over Wake Forest by 16
Houston over Cards by 6
Cards over UK by 13

Overall regular season record: 9-3 (6-2)

Funny ... that's pretty similar to TheRealVille's prediction once he decided not to be a laughingstock!
But here is the thing: he might be right. But he might be wrong. Hence, that is why they play the games and that is why there is so much suspense. He has an optimistic outlook. Now if he tied expectations to his prediction there is a good chance he might be disappointed.

Reactions: PushupMan
Predicting 11-1 is no dumber than saying we "can't blow out" 8 or 9 opponents. Either can happen. Or not. Odds are it won't of course. But one prediction is no dumber than the other.

The trick is, to blow them out means a lot of D, and a healthy LJ.

I say again, I am heavily leaning to 9-3, with 10-2 as an outside best chance.

10-2 against a schedule of three top 10 teams, two of them on the road, is quite admirable.

I'm sitting at 9-3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT