ADVERTISEMENT

From someone in attendance...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
A few points that I see mentioned or that are worth mentioning...
Bolin was not anywhere close to the form he was in for the LPT game. Sure, it was a much better opponent. But the missed throws last nite were largely unforced. He plays that way against LPT and it would have been a loss.For that and other reasons, I had no issue with Bonnafon coming in to replace Bolin when he did. There was no big momentum swing on the long INT because we had no offensive momentum to change. Truth be told, I was wondering about the time he came into the game if Bonnafon wouldn't provide a positive momentum change. And you don't know until you try. Had Bonnafon been successful, there would be the "where was Bonnafon?" cries from all of our Monday morning quarterbacks.And reflecting back, anyone who made that comment about Bolin after the LPT game can submit your mea culpa in this thread. Such is the up-and-down life of a rookie QB.I saw another UGA poster make this same remark... Despite UGA's gaudy rushing numbers, U of L's front seven consistently stuffed their rushing attempts at the line of scrimmage. Had the U of L offense been more effective, the U of L defense wouldn't have been on the field so long. And UGA couldn't simply pound the ball until an opening occurred.Where our defense failed consistently was in getting off the field on third downs. Something Strong used to harp on. I don't know enough about coaching to comment on how that gets addressed.I don't really care what posters or LPT fans may say here... The UGA faithful in attendance were happy to get that win. It was most likely a combination of needing something positive, fearing a loss, and respecting your opponent. All I know is I heard a lot of "woofing" after the game--most of it without being derisive--from happy Bulldog fans.
If you were there, you know these things to be true or nearly so...

Originally posted by zipp:

For that and other reasons, I had no issue with Bonnafon coming in to replace Bolin when he did. There was no big momentum swing on the long INT because we had no offensive momentum to change. Truth be told, I was wondering about the time he came into the game if Bonnafon wouldn't provide a positive momentum change. And you don't know until you try. Had Bonnafon been successful, there would be the "where was Bonnafon?" cries from all of our Monday morning quarterbacks.
This is an excellent point.

What I saw was Bonafon can't process the information and make the right read. He predetermines where he is going to throw the ball. The interception into double coverage was a horrible read because he had a man wide open in the flat.

Bolin does process the information but he just couldn't deliver the ball accurately.

The Louisville offense simply needed to be more productive in scoring points and making first downs to possess the ball and give their defense a chance to rest and they just couldn't do it.

I said Bolin was all that after the uk game. He was.

The difference is, in uk game he didn't have time to get nervous. He didn't think, he just reacted. He had a month to think about UGA and it showed.

I still say he was the best option last night. He LOOKS like a QB playing QB.

And if we played again next week I'd want him at QB.

UGA is very good. I knew it was going to be a tough matchup because their line is really good. Overall, move impressed with UGA than upset with Louisville.

The front seven had a decent game but the Floyd, Gaines and Holliman aren't real physical which against a real physical team is going to burn you. The 82 yard run was because Holliman didn't do his job in filling his gap, the first Chubb Td Reve's didn't wrap up and multiple whiffs by the CB's. I will give Holliman credit he did put his nose in there more this game than he has in prior games.

QB play it has been average all year and that is what it was last night. Bolin definitely makes quicker reads but accuracy needs some work. The biggest mistake he made was after Louisville stopped UGA he made a terrible decision in throwing a pick on the next play. Reggie he is still learning the position but I don't know if he is going to make it at QB. He just doesn't have the natural instincts and is really slow making reads. Time will tell.

2015 is going to be an interest year a year where they could take a step back. The offensive line is a huge question mark and you can't win without a good line.

Bolin seemed fine at the start, then Bonnafon came in. When Bonnafon threw the pick and was pulled that had to be running through Bolin's head ... 'I don't want to get pulled in front of a national TV audience at a bowl'. I didn't like the two QB thing, it rarely works.

Yeah. it was easy to see that Bolin was overwhelmed with it all. He did seem to be able to move around the pocket very well. And looks like he might have some speed. Who knows with another year of experience and maturation.

Zipp hit it on the money pretty much. I was there, hell i'm still here just now leaving. Georgia fans were very excited about the win. They showed georgia fans dancing on the jumbo tron all game long having a good time. They cheered hard all game long.

I dont know the fan ratio but it looked 50/50 Georgia and Louisville. Everyone was wearing red and black and the north carolina locals made several comments about not seeing so much red and black all their lives. There was 1 cat fan who wore ky gear to the game that stood out in a sea of red.

Georgia fans were barking and chanting dawgs from south mint street all the way up to south tryon street after the game.

I had 3 Georgia Fans sitting behind me in a louisville section waving a georgia flag and saying as long as Louisville has Grantham then we have a chance to win.

Everything zipp posted pretty much summed up the game.

No mea culpa here.

Even after the 'bad' night last night Bolin has the highest rating and highest yards per attempt of the 2014 QBs.

Maybe the supposed savior is not among those three but of the 3 Bolin fits best.

Laying this game on him is unfair. The challenges on both sides of the ball were obvious.

Originally posted by zipp:
A few points that I see mentioned or that are worth mentioning...
Bolin was not anywhere close to the form he was in for the LPT game. Sure, it was a much better opponent. But the missed throws last nite were largely unforced. He plays that way against LPT and it would have been a loss.For that and other reasons, I had no issue with Bonnafon coming in to replace Bolin when he did. There was no big momentum swing on the long INT because we had no offensive momentum to change. Truth be told, I was wondering about the time he came into the game if Bonnafon wouldn't provide a positive momentum change. And you don't know until you try. Had Bonnafon been successful, there would be the "where was Bonnafon?" cries from all of our Monday morning quarterbacks.And reflecting back, anyone who made that comment about Bolin after the LPT game can submit your mea culpa in this thread. Such is the up-and-down life of a rookie QB.I saw another UGA poster make this same remark... Despite UGA's gaudy rushing numbers, U of L's front seven consistently stuffed their rushing attempts at the line of scrimmage. Had the U of L offense been more effective, the U of L defense wiouldn't have been on the field so long. And UGA couldn't simply pound the ball until an opening occurred.Where our defense failed consistently was in getting off the field on third downs. Something Strong used to harp on. I don't know enough about coaching to comment on how that gets addressed.I don't really care what posters or LPT fans may say here... The UGA faithful in attendance were happy to get that win. It was most likely a combination of needing something positive, fearing a loss, and respecting your opponent. All I know is I heard a lot of "woofing" after the game--most of it without being derisive--from happy Bulldog fans.
If you were there, you know these things to be true or nearly so...
UGA's Coach said basically the same thing during his post game press conference.

When Bolin replaced Bonnafon Georgia smelled blood in the water. Bolin tried to seize the momentum back. The long stike to Quick on third down seemed to give us a boost but we could not capitalize. MAKE NO MISTAKE: the game was soley in Georgia's hands when we trapped them inside their 5 and we allowed that long run. We were in the game until that point.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Zipp - I have to disagree. It was definitely not the time to put in Bonnafon. Georgia scored to take a 7-0 lead after we took the opening kickoff and failed to score on the opening drive. Bolin lead us to a game tying TD by going 4-6 for 58 yards and a TD pass to Christian. Georgia fails to score and we get the ball back. On our next possession we go 3 and out with De la Cruz dropping a pass. Our punter then kicks a 34 yard punt which Georgia capitalizes by being able to kick a FG.

At that point we needed to answer Georgia with either a FG or go ahead TD. Bolin had done nothing wrong up to that point to warrant a switch. In comes Bonnafon and the next two series is history. Georgia scores on its next 2 possessions to take a 20-7 lead which we would never have overcome if they never scored another point....

Originally posted by KingHenry_X:
When Bolin replaced Bonnafon Georgia smelled blood in the water. Bolin tried to seize the momentum back. The long stike to Quick on third down seemed to give us a boost but we could not capitalize. MAKE NO MISTAKE: the game was soley in Georgia's hands when we trapped them inside their 5 and we allowed that long run. We were in the game until that point.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I think it was more along the lines of being prepared for him. They shifted a safety to a linebacker position to keep an eye on him.

Reggie's lack of experience showed when he did not recognize the field and take advantage of the missing safety.

I don't know if Reggie's injury still was an issue or not.

An experienced Reggie would have fared much better IMO.

As for the long run, it was a deflating moment, no doubt.

I couldnt believe how inept we were on 3rd and long all night long.

Bad bad tackling didnt help. Not much on a pass rush too.

get us some physical tacklers and a good punter, i like our chances next year.

Oh, and when they arent going to snap the ball on 4th down, i believe over the last few years we are 0-10 on not having an offside called against us.

ADVERTISEMENT