ADVERTISEMENT

Former UofL Players to Pay for Jared Lorenzen's Funeral

Where are the uk alums? Surely they're doing something?

Just playing it low key maybe?

Where are the uk alums? Surely they're doing something?

Just playing it low key maybe?

God I hope so. There are some really well paid former cats in and out of the NFL. I hope they're donating behind the scenes.

To me, the Redman et al donation speaks volumnes about the respect for the core of honorable competition. I can't tell you how heartwarming that is.

It is a wonderful gesture on the part of those former UofL players and, any other former player or current fan of any program to donate to help the Lorenzen family. That said, if his reported net worth of 2.7M at the time of his unfortunate passing is accurate, here’s hoping that the Lorenzen family does the right thing of donating those funds to an organization that assists people who truly need help burying their loved ones.

It is a wonderful gesture on the part of those former UofL players and, any other former player or current fan of any program to donate to help the Lorenzen family. That said, if his reported net worth of 2.7M at the time of his unfortunate passing is accurate, here’s hoping that the Lorenzen family does the right thing of donating those funds to an organization that assists people who truly need help burying their loved ones.
True.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Great men setting an example above self. We hate each other on these message boards and will never stop talking trash, but as I've said before....these guys we cheer for are human beings at the end of the day.

I just read that generic websites that mentioned his supposed $2.7 million net worth based on his career earnings...but you never know what his financial situation could be like right now. He made a lot of money for a few years in the NFL, but after that you just don't know if he saved it or not. You don't know if his medical expenses were covered under health insurance. You don't know if he had a life insurance policy. I'd imagine the guys donating probably have a good idea of the situation before they donate.

Not only his weight...but football players do face health problems beyond. The NFL only gives retired players health insurance up to 5 years after retirement. A guy like Jared probably took a beating and it probably contributed to his mental health issues that made his weight/health worse. If he didn't have a good health policy...those medical bills to save his life probably were through the roof and the hospital can collect based on his net worth. A life saving surgery...a week in intensive care on life support...combined with any other bills he may have had the last few years.

The money money for the funeral and other things is probably to give his kids and parents some relief. I've had do deal with the closing of estates after a death...and someone like Jared who wasn't prepared to die and had young kids in a divorce would be a very hard thing to settle. Things could get busy from paying the hospital, lawyers, and any other outstanding debt(houses, car, etc.). No wife, kids under 18, and parents who should never have to bury their own child....

God Bless these players for stepping up and helping.

That got me wondering just what Jared may have been worth and I doubt it was much. His best contract was for 912K to play in 2008 bet he was cut before the season. If he was lucky he made 2M in those 3 seasons. He would have paid roughly half that in taxes and another 80K to his agent. That would leave 900K, but he lived in NYC for most of 3 years, then got divorced and would have been paying significant child support. I bet he had very little left.

Regardless of the finances of the Lorenzen children, this is a wonderful manner in which to pay condolences as well as tribute. My hats off to all these men, and I am just certain that there are others we have not heard from.

Most of us unfortunately know the tough part is beginning....for the kids, the parents and the friends. Life is just a bit emptier for them now.
Peace to all.

Huge big blue fan here.Just want to praise the U of L players totally class move. We can trash talk on these boards all day long but in the end we are all Kentuckians.

Thank you to Jamon Brown and other UL players not named. It is simple respect even though they never played against each other. Class move by all UL players that contributed...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT