ADVERTISEMENT

For those ready to blow up football and chuck the season...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
...you haven't seen the basketball season play out. You haven't seen how many games we're gonna win minus one HOF coach and in his place a 30-year old assistant who was destined to be the head guy at Furman or Towson State in a couple more years. And with less recruits in fold than Bellarmine probably has committed.

(Speaking of which, you think Scotty Davenport isn't licking his chops at the opportunity to play U of L in a few weeks?)

And I'm headed out to watch baseball practice in a couple hours... From the few practices I've seen, we're FINALLY gonna be looking at a rebuilding year. I'm hoping for an NCAA bid.

Of course, we should be pretty good at women's basketball but I'm not sure how many diehard WBB fans we have?

My message is to lower your sights for the time being, and man up. When the football team gets a Russell Athletic or Belk bid at year end, you'd best relish that as an opportunity to see U of L excel at SOMETHING this year and maybe for the next few years. Those opportunities for awhile could be few and far between...

Last edited:
It sure looks that way. Some dark days ahead.

Momma said there would be days/times like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deeva
...you haven't seen the basketball season play out. You haven't seen how many games were gonna win minus one HOF coach and in his place a 30-year old assistant who was destined to be the head guy at Furman or Towson State in a couple more years. And with less recruits in fold than Bellarmine probably has committed.

(Speaking of which, you think Scotty Davenport isn't licking his chops at the opportunity to play U of L in a few weeks?)

And I'm headed out to watch baseball practice in a couple hours... From the few practices I've seen, we're FINALLY gonna be looking at a rebuilding year. I'm hoping for an NCAA bid.

Of course, we should be pretty good at women's basketball but I'm not sure how many diehard WBB fans we have?

My message is to lower your sights for the time being, and man up. When the football team gets a Russell Athletic or Belk bid at year end, you'd best relish that as an opportunity to see U of L excel at SOMETHING this year and maybe for the next few years. Those opportunities for awhile could be few and far between...
Here’s the thing though Zipp - I think to a person, those calling for petrino to go are doing so in the hopes that it would mean Brohm would come in as a replacement. Were that to happen, I don’t think football would be “blown up” at all. I think relatively few are calling for change simply for the sake of change.

Not even factoring in that there is a legitimate argument to be made that Brohm is a better coach than petrino right now - he certainly is held in 1000% better regard than petrino by the overall fan base. That certainly wouldn’t hurt ticket sales and donations...

What's Brohm's recruiting track record?

For the last several years, Louisville has been recruiting at about the same level as teams like UNC, Arizona State, Cal, and the bottom half of the SEC.

Petrino is an excellent coach but the talent gap between Louisville and the elites is tough to overcome.

I think I'll watch a little more football this year before I say confidently that Jeff Brohm would be a major upgrade over Bobby Petrino. And that's the only reason you make that change.

And I'm not as sure as some of you are that Brohm even wants the job in January 2018. Many think that Brohm would not work for Jurich. (I'm not one of those BTW...) And why not stay where things are a LITTLE less tumultuous and expectations are lower? We're not making this decision for him. Hell, Brohm might be offered the ND job in another year.

Reactions: gocds and Mayoman
Bottom line is we might be just a wee bit spoiled. I know I am. I expect the Cardinals to put a great team on the field every year. I know that's not practical or even rational but they call us fanatics for a reason.

We are in the ACC now. There are no good excuses for putting a bad team on the field. We're 4-2 and if this team doesn't find some defensive improvement fast, they won't win many more.

Bottom line is we might be just a wee bit spoiled. I know I am. I expect the Cardinals to put a great team on the field every year. I know that's not practical or even rational but they call us fanatics for a reason.

We are in the ACC now. There are no good excuses for putting a bad team on the field. We're 4-2 and if this team doesn't find some defensive improvement fast, they won't win many more.

Hey I'm guilty of that too when it comes to UK basketball my friend. Even during the later Tubby years when it was clear to anyone with a pair of eyes that we weren't a serious threat to go anywhere in the tourney, I was pissed when we lost.

Your football program's progress the last 15 years is phenomenal. I wish UK could put a consistently good football team on the field.

Reactions: billoliver40
Our trouble with football John is we never had anyone over coach level that would invest in the program. Face it, for years Kentucky football was willing nonstick the teat of the SEC....raking in their share without putting anything back in. We became one of the premier dead stops in college ball. Brooks did a creditable job, but the schedule was dumbed down.
Joker was way over his head in the Big chair. He and that staff recruited UK to mid level OVC abilities, then didn't do squat coaching them up.
Stoops has recruited phenomenally well all things considered ( matter of fact given current investigations I have concerns over how well) but after five years I'm not sure Marks best position isn't head recruiter. Some of a fifth year coaching calls are not head scratchers, they are just bad.

Not real sure UK will not always be a basketball school. Good enough, but sure frustrating for a college football fan.

Reactions: JohnKBA
What's Brohm's recruiting track record?

For the last several years, Louisville has been recruiting at about the same level as teams like UNC, Arizona State, Cal, and the bottom half of the SEC.

Petrino is an excellent coach but the talent gap between Louisville and the elites is tough to overcome.

I understand what you’re saying but my problem is that we were playing tougher during Petrino’s year 1-3. The players then were clearly not the caliber that we need to compete in the ACC. Yet we did so. Whats changed? Coaching in my mind. We did we’ll especially on defense with Charlie’s players, but as we’ve started relying on CBP recruits things have headed the wrong direction. However our recruiting classes have improved. Therefore I say it’s coaching. I’m not advocating a head coach change this year. However if things continue to decline into next year I would make a change in year 18-19. Having said that if fundamentals don’t improve on D by the end the season; Sirmon must go.

Reactions: Deeva and JohnKBA
my problem is that we were playing tougher during Petrino’s year 1-3. The players then were clearly not the caliber that we need to compete in the ACC. Yet we did so. Whats changed?

I don't know that you can really say Louisville isn't playing tough this year, or conversely that they were playing tougher before. Louisville is 4-2 at this point. The season closes out with Boston College, Florida ST, Wake Forest, Virginia, and Syracuse. Wake Forest and Virginia are better this year, and might be a little tricky, but there really aren't any teams on the schedule that can hurt Louisville like NC State did. I think the problem this year is the two toughest conference games came early in the year.

Reactions: Cardhorn and zipp
I think I'll watch a little more football this year before I say confidently that Jeff Brohm would be a major upgrade over Bobby Petrino. And that's the only reason you make that change.

And I'm not as sure as some of you are that Brohm even wants the job in January 2018. Many think that Brohm would not work for Jurich. (I'm not one of those BTW...) And why not stay where things are a LITTLE less tumultuous and expectations are lower? We're not making this decision for him. Hell, Brohm might be offered the ND job in another year.
If Brohm is looking for a place with low expectations, he ought not sign up for the gig in South Bend.

If he’s looking for a combination of realistic expectations and an ability to win at the highest level - there might not be a place better than Louisville for Jeff Brohm specifically.

If Brohm is looking for a place with low expectations, he ought not sign up for the gig in South Bend...
At ND, they want someone better than Brian Kelly. Here, it's someone better than Bobby Petrino...

Reactions: gocds
At ND, they want someone better than Brian Kelly. Here, it's someone better than Bobby Petrino...
Not exactly sure what point you’re trying to make here Zipp but I’ll say, petrino 2.0 and Kelly are about the same.

my problem is that we were playing tougher during Petrino’s year 1-3. The players then were clearly not the caliber that we need to compete in the ACC. Yet we did so. Whats changed?

I don't know that you can really say Louisville isn't playing tough this year, or conversely that they were playing tougher before. Louisville is 4-2 at this point. The season closes out with Boston College, Florida ST, Wake Forest, Virginia, and Syracuse. Wake Forest and Virginia are better this year, and might be a little tricky, but there really aren't any teams on the schedule that can hurt Louisville like NC State did. I think the problem this year is the two toughest conference games came early in the year.

Let’s see where do I start. This team: Tackling we don’t hit hard and miss tackle after tackle due to poor techniques. For the first time since 2009 we’ve gone two games in a row without a sack. One of the teams that was against was Murray St. a horrible team. Over all our sacks are way down. So that means zero to near zero pressure on any QBs. Some of that’s by design. As you may remember over the last few years we pressured pretty darn well. Secondary, what secondary. If their not being beat their not turning to the ball. No running game well except Lamar. Stupid penalties....false start after false start after false start. Oh yeah against Clemson first 3 meetings we lost by a total of 15 points all three games combined. That included the runner up and NC team. Dropped passes and more dropped passes. The reason most fans are upset is because we’re seeing poor fundamentals and the D is just a mess. However they do seem to hold their own inside the 5. Is the season a bust not yet, but if we don’t correct things fast I can see losses to Wake, FSU (Is one I didn’t expect to win prior to the season starting), and even Kentucky. However we’re capable of running the table if they correct some of those issues. Will see.

We as a fan base needed that win last night bad. I would have thought the coaches and the team needed that win last night too. I'm not part of UL athletics, but maybe they feel as beat up as I do physically and mentally over the last several days. Just a thought!
I would say as a football player and coach if you can't get focused to play a game because you're thinking about U of L in the media, then you're not a very good motivator. Those are reasons to come out and play with your hair on fire. Us against the world. No excuses.

Nobody tackles in practice anymore to keep injuries down.

I've noticed everything you see on tv at practice is "shadow boxing". They just fire out, take a snap, or whatever, any run against nobody. Or at best a "two-hand-touch" approach.

Making it harder to "coach up" as far as being physical is concerned. IMO

Well, Louisville has been tackling like 6 year old peewee football players so far this season. And I would hate to be an offensive lineman blocking for Lamar Jackson, given he is everywhere and rarely runs the called play.

Not exactly sure what point you’re trying to make here Zipp but I’ll say, petrino 2.0 and Kelly are about the same.
How can you honestly say that?

ND had a 4-6 record the same week last year (of Nov 14) that U of L was being discussed for the playoff.

(And he ends 4-8 and KEEPS HIS JOB--picture Petrino doing that here.)

U of L beat ND at South Bend during Petrino's tenure with Reggie Bonnafon at QB, a guy who can't really hold down a legit starting position anywhere.

These two guys are on different planets. AND I'd argue the programs really have different expectations nowadays. U of L wants to beat FSU and Clemson on the way to the ACC and a national championship. ND's priority is to remain independent keep its own TV contract.

Brohm's chances of being successful with ND fans are greater than the same at U of L. Their bar currently is appreciably lower...

I understand what you’re saying but my problem is that we were playing tougher during Petrino’s year 1-3. The players then were clearly not the caliber that we need to compete in the ACC. Yet we did so. Whats changed? Coaching in my mind. We did we’ll especially on defense with Charlie’s players, but as we’ve started relying on CBP recruits things have headed the wrong direction. However our recruiting classes have improved. Therefore I say it’s coaching. I’m not advocating a head coach change this year. However if things continue to decline into next year I would make a change in year 18-19. Having said that if fundamentals don’t improve on D by the end the season; Sirmon must go.
Recruiting has only really improved for the 2017 class and current 2018 class. I think we gotta give these guys 1 or 2 more years to definitively say that they deserve the boot. It's apparent that their schemes rely on better athletes than the other team. That's why we've lost to better teams this year. But I think by 2018 and 2019 seasons we could have the personnel to be a contender for the ACC title. We as fans, me included, get caught up in instant gratification, but after a lot of our starting guys went down with injury we are looking at a tough season because we have NOT recruited depth.
Edit: Also probably about half of the 2014 recruiting class is not even on campus anymore due to being junior college, never making it because of grades or trouble, and transferring because of playing time.

Reactions: PHCARD
How can you honestly say that?

ND had a 4-6 record the same week last year (of Nov 14) that U of L was being discussed for the playoff.

(And he ends 4-8 and KEEPS HIS JOB--picture Petrino doing that here.)

U of L beat ND at South Bend during Petrino's tenure with Reggie Bonnafon at QB, a guy who can't really hold down a legit starting position anywhere.

These two guys are on different planets. AND I'd argue the programs really have different expectations nowadays. U of L wants to beat FSU and Clemson on the way to the ACC and a national championship. ND's priority is to remain independent keep its own TV contract.

Brohm's chances of being successful with ND fans are greater than the same at U of L. Their bar currently is appreciably lower...
Zipp, I just simply disagree with several of your points. First off petrino 2.0’s winning % is .667 and Kelly’s is .663 at ND - both with comparable schedules though I’d say ND’s is more difficult year in and year out.

Kelly kept his job after last year’s crap fest at least in part to the administration cringing at buying out another coach with all of the money that ND has shelled this century. Make no mistake though - as you’ve alluded to as well - if he doesn’t have a really good year in 2017 - he’s gone.

ND’s fans expect a NY6 bowl every year and honestly feel that they should be in the playoff talk every year as well. To compare the respective fan bases in terms of expectations is just silly. Brohm’s chances are better here because he has the relationship already with our fan base and therefore a longer lease.

Reactions: JohnKBA
...you haven't seen the basketball season play out. You haven't seen how many games we're gonna win minus one HOF coach and in his place a 30-year old assistant who was destined to be the head guy at Furman or Towson State in a couple more years. And with less recruits in fold than Bellarmine probably has committed.

To me any bowl bid is a successful season. He think many people's expectations are out of whack and then there's. a loss and everyone goes apeshit. Baseball, by all accounts, will be good but not college world series great. I think there's solid players on the squad but a lot of youth.

To me any bowl bid is a successful season. He think many people's expectations are out of whack and then there's. a loss and everyone goes apeshit. Baseball, by all accounts, will be good but not college world series great. I think there's solid players on the squad but a lot of youth.

Depends on the bowl. 6-6 season is not successful as far as I’m concerned. We might go to a bowl but not anything close to what we should expect. As a matter of fact I would base it on 8-4. Anything less is a bad season. And I’m ok if we’re competitive, but we weren’t against NCSU. If we play like that there’s a good chance we lose to UVA, Wake Forest, FSU, and SuCK. I’m hoping we get our act together, but now we’re without all of our running backs except Reggie. And we’re without Thomas on D. Not good.

Why is it every year the football playoff has the same people competing for the title? Great coaches have great talent. To expect Louisville with its recruiting limitations to be great every year is not realistic. Outside the traditional top 10 every college team is going to have years that are really good and rebuilding years. The fan base expects 9-10-11-12 wins every year and I have no idea what that expectation is based on, especially now that they are in the ACC.

The margin for error for a school like Louisville is so small. They have to be incredibly lucky injury wise, they have to play mistake free football, and they have to do an incredible job building a roster to be really good. That is incredibly tough to do in today's game. Bottom line down years will happen at
Louisville.

Why is it every year the football playoff has the same people competing for the title? Great coaches have great talent. To expect Louisville with its recruiting limitations to be great every year is not realistic. Outside the traditional top 10 every college team is going to have years that are really good and rebuilding years. The fan base expects 9-10-11-12 wins every year and I have no idea what that expectation is based on, especially now that they are in the ACC.

The margin for error for a school like Louisville is so small. They have to be incredibly lucky injury wise, they have to play mistake free football, and they have to do an incredible job building a roster to be really good. That is incredibly tough to do in today's game. Bottom line down years will happen at
Louisville.

What do you consider a down year now that we’re in the ACC?

Lol....you guys are looking at a solid season of between 8-4 and 9-2. Rebuilding your offensive line and entire defense while you're doing it. You have the Heismann winner who is still looking like a repeat candidate.
You had a great shot at State. Football breaks caught you. Clemson is going to chew almost anyone they meet into bits.
Seems like you're in pretty good shape football wise.

Time for you to follow your own advice - lower your sights too bub. This team has not excelled in over a year's worth of games, and that trend that was discussed weeks ago is snowballing.

AND I'd argue the programs really have different expectations nowadays. U of L wants to beat FSU and Clemson on the way to the ACC and a national championship. ND's priority is to remain independent keep its own TV contract.

Wrong.

ND has fired 3 coaches since 2000. Kelly would be the 4th if/when he's relieved.

They do not accept the status quo there. The pressure to win in South Bend is real.

Reactions: BPGhost
Time for you to follow your own advice - lower your sights too bub. This team has not excelled in over a year's worth of games, and that trend that was discussed weeks ago is snowballing.
Bub, my sights probably weren't where yours started this season. So far, which one of us has been more accurate?

And would you be hopping on these posts from last week if we had won on Saturday? My guess is "no"...

Kelly's record at ND last year was 4-8.

I can imagine the environment here if Petrino goes winless the rest of the year...

I mean, the next two games are on the road. I don't know thats there's a UL fan in the world that expects them to go into FSU and beat FSU...So thats 3 straight losses. Next we're at Wake...we all remember what happened last year, UL got their butts kicked for 3 quarters and then the wheels fell off of Wake and UL won by 3-4 TDs. We also know what happened after Wake...because of that they will be MOTIVATED to win like never before. Wake only lost to FSU by 7, only lost to Clemson by 14, and beat BC 34-10...I've seen nothing from UL that would make me think they beat a motivated Wake team on the road....that UVA game on 11/11 could see UL coming off 4 straight losses...at best probably 1-3, after a bye week....that stadium won't have 25,000 people in it. UVA is 5-1 and Syracuse just beat Clemson. Last there's UK....UKs offense is supremely boring but I've seen them play 3-4 times this year and while they've looked bad in 4 of the 6 games I've seen them they've won all 4 games they've looked bad in. They found a way to win games where UL has found ways to lose games. UK under Stoops has always played down to the bad teams and played up to the good teams....I think we know they'll be up for a home game against Louisville, regardless of what ULs record is.

Based on what I've seen against the 5 P5 teams UL has played this year I think there's a decent chance UL goes winless to end the season. It is unlikely though...honestly if i had to bet on what ULs record is at the end of the year I would probably bet on 6-6 but I have absolutely no clue which 2 of the remaining 5 I would say they will beat with any confidence.

I can imagine the environment here if Petrino goes winless the rest of the year...

I mean, the next two games are on the road. I don't know thats there's a UL fan in the world that expects them to go into FSU and beat FSU...So thats 3 straight losses. Next we're at Wake...we all remember what happened last year, UL got their butts kicked for 3 quarters and then the wheels fell off of Wake and UL won by 3-4 TDs. We also know what happened after Wake...because of that they will be MOTIVATED to win like never before. Wake only lost to FSU by 7, only lost to Clemson by 14, and beat BC 34-10...I've seen nothing from UL that would make me think they beat a motivated Wake team on the road....that UVA game on 11/11 could see UL coming off 4 straight losses...at best probably 1-3, after a bye week....that stadium won't have 25,000 people in it. UVA is 5-1 and Syracuse just beat Clemson. Last there's UK....UKs offense is supremely boring but I've seen them play 3-4 times this year and while they've looked bad in 4 of the 6 games I've seen them they've won all 4 games they've looked bad in. They found a way to win games where UL has found ways to lose games. UK under Stoops has always played down to the bad teams and played up to the good teams....I think we know they'll be up for a home game against Louisville, regardless of what ULs record is.

Based on what I've seen against the 5 P5 teams UL has played this year I think there's a decent chance UL goes winless to end the season. It is unlikely though...honestly if i had to bet on what ULs record is at the end of the year I would probably bet on 6-6 but I have absolutely no clue which 2 of the remaining 5 I would say they will beat with any confidence.

4-8 is a real possibility and more likely than 6-6. Just can’t see 2 wins in their future.

Could very well find out in the next few weeks.

You see any games over the next 5 you feel comfortable about winning. I sure hope we find a way to pull out a couple more, but it will take a major transformation by the defense for it to happen.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
Could very well find out in the next few weeks.

You see any games over the next 5 you feel comfortable about winning. I sure hope we find a way to pull out a couple more, but it will take a major transformation by the defense for it to happen.
Bobby will still be in the job because Kelly is. Hop assures me...

Bub, my sights probably weren't where yours started this season. So far, which one of us has been more accurate?

And would you be hopping on these posts from last week if we had won on Saturday? My guess is "no"...

I didn't think the team would be very good this year. I also think it's hard to win 8+ games a year and fans have unreasonable expectations.

So you're wrong again.

And way to stick with your statistical evidence strategy, bub. "If we had won Saturday"

You stay in fantasy land with your "what ifs" I'll stick to the reality that I've been spreading all year - the program is trending in the wrong direction.

I'm only pointing out the program is trending south - I'm not even saying he is or isn't capable of fixing it, or will want to stick around to try next year.

Only he knows if he's cut like that.

Last edited:

They are #13 in the country right now, and he's still on this list at #23.

http://coacheshotseat.com/

Again, you go with your day's fantasy talking points, the "if Petrino goes winless"...

Reality, ND has fired 3 coaches since 2000, all for performance.

To suggest fans at ND don't have high expectations is about the dumbest perspective I've seen here, and that's really saying something.

Last edited:

The difference is that the previous year ND didn’t absolutely collapse and get dominated the way Louisville has - that has a lot to do with the current fan perspective. The fact that it has continued this year has just thrown gasoline onto that fire.

This season definitely feels like kragdump’s first season to me.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Bobby will still be in the job because Kelly is. Hop assures me...

best-you-mad-with-hat-gif.gif

We see eye to eye on a lot, but had we not fumbled, and won that game, it would still leave a lot of question marks about where we are as a program AFAIC.

And how we're "trending" (a little young person lingo thrown in there). :p

I just think Bobby's got to take charge as HC and not just be the OC.

If he does, I think we're ok.

ADVERTISEMENT