ADVERTISEMENT

Football staff

Tyra and Scott Satterfield are meeting today to discuss this. So we will have to wait a bit to see, who gets kept and who will be added.

Tyra and Scott Satterfield are meeting today to discuss this. So we will have to wait a bit to see, who gets kept and who will be added.
To me, you have to give Satterfield the keys and let him drive. We've entrusted him with the program, so all of those calls should be his. Why should Tyra be involved with that process at all?

To me, you have to give Satterfield the keys and let him drive. We've entrusted him with the program, so all of those calls should be his. Why should Tyra be involved with that process at all?

I think he has to be in order to stay on budget. Not sure of the assistant package negotiated, but I'm sure its competitive as we paid BVG 950K for one of the worst D's ever in the history of college football.

I think he has to be in order to stay on budget. Not sure of the assistant package negotiated, but I'm sure its competitive as we paid BVG 950K for one of the worst D's ever in the history of college football.
I agree, and there's no doubt in my mind that Vince has given him a pool of money to work with. CSS has to manage that though, and allocate it to those he sees fit.

There has been rumors about Cort Dennison returning. But I don't think it will happen because he wants to be at least Co-DC and I think Nate Woody will be the DC.

Looks like Brown and Ponce will be joining the staff from App St. Their roles haven’t been determined yet but Brown was the DC after Woody left for GT.

Reactions: wilkie01
Looks like CSS is telling Woody “Hey you left me for greener pastures. Good luck”

Funny stuff reading about financial constraints imposed on Satterfield by "Vince"--not that I'm questioning that's happening.

The new coach can be constrained on the order of tens and hundreds of thousands, but his boss is unconstrained to spend millions and tens of millions.

And sorry to digress, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall when "Vince" has some frank financial discussions with other coaches like Walz and McDonnell....

Looks like CSS is telling Woody “Hey you left me for greener pastures. Good luck”
This could just give Woody time to be fully vetted by App St I believe he is a candidate for their job. Once that decision is made if he doesn't get it he may end up here. No reason to bring him here yet if he wants the App St gig. I would actually prefer Brown and bring in Dennison to be his top assistant. I am not sure there is room for both Woody and Dennsion.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
This could just give Woody time to be fully vetted by App St I believe he is a candidate for their job. Once that decision is made if he doesn't get it he may end up here. No reason to bring him here yet if he wants the App St gig. I would actually prefer Brown and bring in Dennison to be his top assistant. I am not sure there is room for both Woody and Dennsion.
I didn’t know he was a candidate.

Figured he left ASU and was going to be out of a job now.

The rumblings are he is going to put together a terrific staff. The Satterfiled coaching network is bigger than we thought. One guy is currently an Oline coach at NC State who is terrific. There is a guy on the Arkansas staff that is supposedly a great recruiter.

It will be interesting to watch the staff come together. It could be a terrific young collection of talented coaches.

Reactions: Chapman123
Funny stuff reading about financial constraints imposed on Satterfield by "Vince"--not that I'm questioning that's happening.

The new coach can be constrained on the order of tens and hundreds of thousands, but his boss is unconstrained to spend millions and tens of millions.

And sorry to digress, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall when "Vince" has some frank financial discussions with other coaches like Walz and McDonnell....
Isn’t that the way it usually is? Doesn’t a boss have greater spending authority than his employees? I would guess that Dr Bendapudi has greater spending authority than the academic deans, Vice Presidents or the AD.

Reactions: wilkie01
Isn’t that the way it usually is? Doesn’t a boss have greater spending authority than his employees? I would guess that Dr Bendapudi has greater spending authority than the academic deans, Vice Presidents or the AD.
Authority is not the issue, it's behavior. The guys under the boss are supposed to count nickels while he lights cigars with $20 bills...

Let's see how the staff plays out before saying he is pinching pennies. This may have been structured to give Satterfield more $$$ to build a staff, recruiting and quality control personnel. We will have to see, but I like the plan. They seems to get the importance the role the Louisville football community will have on recruiting. I like Tyra bringing former players back and asking them to help rebuild the program. Mack is doing the same. The push with high school is a no brainer.

I think everyone brought is going to be a good recruiter. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Eric Wood brought into quality control position, let him get his feet wet in coaching without having to recruit. His experience/knowledge would be a tremendous asset. There are too many former players who live in the area that could help the program as long as the program is open.

Authority is not the issue, it's behavior. The guys under the boss are supposed to count nickels while he lights cigars with $20 bills...
I think authority is entirely the issue. You’re suggesting the Vince NQ is wasting money. Hard to argue that when he just “wasted” millions on your salary.

I think authority is entirely the issue. You’re suggesting the Vince NQ is wasting money. Hard to argue that when he just “wasted” millions on your salary.
"Wasting" is in the eye of the beholder. Are you arguing that "Vince" isn't spending millions of dollars that his athletics programs aren't bringing in? Surely not...

I think the money issue is more related to booster wanting to see where the athletic department was heading and frankly getting over Jurich. The reality some won't come back. Jurich, if he truly loved Louisville, would try to bring them back. His ego won't let that happen though. Funny how Crum never waivered even though he felt he was done wrong.

Let's see what happens in the upcoming years. You are assuming the Jurich money will never come back. These coaches he has hired/retained are going to get into the community that will only help rebuild some of the relationships.

Reactions: wilkie01 and Art79
"Wasting" is in the eye of the beholder. Are you arguing that "Vince" isn't spending millions of dollars that his athletics programs aren't bringing in? Surely not...
You’re the one who brought up the image of lighting cigars with $100 bills. If that is the analogy, then you yourself must believe he is wasting money.

You’re the one who brought up the image of lighting cigars with $100 bills. If that is the analogy, then you yourself must believe he is wasting money.
The guy lighting the cigar doesn't think so. He just thinks he's got an endless supply of them. That's my point...

I think the money issue is more related to booster wanting to see where the athletic department was heading and frankly getting over Jurich. The reality some won't come back. Jurich, if he truly loved Louisville, would try to bring them back. His ego won't let that happen though. Funny how Crum never waivered even though he felt he was done wrong.

Let's see what happens in the upcoming years. You are assuming the Jurich money will never come back. These coaches he has hired/retained are going to get into the community that will only help rebuild some of the relationships.
Jurich needs to be be recruited back. I don't expect him for a minute to come to the rescue of the clowns who replaced him.

I wouldn't either. As big a supporter as I am of U of L athletics, I advise everyone I meet to keep a tight hold on their checkbooks. Why would I expect anything more from Jurich?...

The guy lighting the cigar doesn't think so. He just thinks he's got an endless supply of them. That's my point...

The supply isn’t endless, but it’s close to it... essentially 1,200,000 of them each year. Before the ACC Network comes on line....

The supply isn’t endless, but it’s close to it... essentially 1,200,000 of them each year. Before the ACC Network comes on line....
The crazy reality for "Vince" is that's not enough...

Jurich needs to be be recruited back. I don't expect him for a minute to come to the rescue of the clowns who replaced him.

I wouldn't either. As big a supporter as I am of U of L athletics, I advise everyone I meet to keep a tight hold on their checkbooks. Why would I expect anything more from Jurich?...
Jurich is getting exposed,,,,

Reactions: jmac1029
Your point might be a lot more compelling if you had not been scornful of Tyra and dismissive of virtually anything he has done since his first day on the job, and if you would stop the childish use of quotes around his name. It’s clear that you are Anti-Tyra simply because he is not someone else. As for examples of where he is wasting large sums of money, please feel free to inform us of specific situations. And you can exclude the Petrino buyout, because although that is some serious money, most people on this site agree it was necessary.

Your point might be a lot more compelling if you had not been scornful of Tyra and dismissive of virtually anything he has done since his first day on the job, and if you would stop the childish use of quotes around his name. It’s clear that you are Anti-Tyra simply because he is not someone else. As for examples of where he is wasting large sums of money, please feel free to inform us of specific situations. And you can exclude the Petrino buyout, because although that is some serious money, most people on this site agree it was necessary.
Art - you are wasting your time buddy thinking that you might get a straight answer. Zipp is the owner / operator of the biggest mulberry bush farm you’ll ever see.

I treat "Vince" in a manner that puts him in what I consider to be the appropriate light along with the unfounded accolades he receives from my fellow posters. Obviously, that puts me in contrast to them, and it makes sense that it would.

You can interpret "Vince" in quotation marks as my sarcasm about the asinine situation of using his first name by people who have no personal connection to him. Not unlike me calling Trump "Donald" because I like him and that's what he wants his fans and supporters to call him. I'm not Trump's or Tyra's friend/fan. They're paid to do jobs, and I respect or disrespect them based on that sole criterion. I never called Jurch "Tom" which would be just as asinine.

Again, the other poster said he was "wasting money". I simply remark about "Vince" spending it. In his world, it's not waste at all--he's completely justified in burning thru millions. If you want evidence of that, I'll be glad to trot out my charts and graphs again. But that's not really on topic for this thread...

Art - you are wasting your time buddy thinking that you might get a straight answer. Zipp is the owner / operator of the biggest mulberry bush farm you’ll ever see.
Come up and reintroduce yourself to me at a future ballgame. (I've forgotten what you look like.) I'll give you a couple of free passes to my u-pick-em operation...

Thanks for the post and the advice. As you can see from the reply I received, you were exactly correct.

Reactions: BPGhost
Thanks for the post and the advice. As you can see from the reply I received, you were exactly correct.
Feel free to stay on point in addressing mine. Or you can talk about berry bushes...

App State running game has been terrific. The first guy he should bring is Shawn Clark, O Line coach. Great coach and recruiter. Players love him!

Come up and reintroduce yourself to me at a future ballgame. (I've forgotten what you look like.) I'll give you a couple of free passes to my u-pick-em operation...
Lol - as many times as you reference it, that must have been a big day for you. You’d have to wear that Jurich t-shirt agin - it’s the only reason I knew it was you before.

You bet, hate to see you waste a bunch of time and effort by getting trapped in his circular web of nonsense.

Lol - as many times as you reference it, that must have been a big day for you. You’d have to wear that Jurich t-shirt agin - it’s the only reason I knew it was you before.
You bet, hate to see you waste a bunch of time and effort by getting trapped in his circular web of nonsense.
For a guy who's ignoring my posts and "nonsense", you sure do like talking about it/them. Try harder...

ADVERTISEMENT