ADVERTISEMENT

Football Coach Contract Buyout

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
“Kansas Athletics ended up paying more in legal fees after David Beaty sued than they ended up saving on his buyout itself. KU paid $470k in legal fees, saved them just $450k of the buyout.“

While it may seem simple to contest the terms of contract, sometimes it bites you more than you expect.

There’s a good article on SaturdayDownSouth about Bielema written about 8 months ago. It said that, after Arkansas found out that Bielema was only making $50,000 per year working for the Patriots, Arkansas simply stopped sending him their monthly $320,000 buyout checks. The article anticipated that there would be a lawsuit.

Not sure whether Petrino’s contract had a similar “must seek comparable employment” clause. but I do not think so. That’s too bad, because Tyra would have some legal grounds to withhold at least part of Petrino’s buyout, since he chose to take an FCS head coaching job worth only $250k per year.

There’s a good article on SaturdayDownSouth about Bielema written about 8 months ago. It said that, after Arkansas found out that Bielema was only making $50,000 per year working for the Patriots, Arkansas simply stopped sending him their monthly $320,000 buyout checks. The article anticipated that there would be a lawsuit.

Not sure whether Petrino’s contract had a similar “must seek comparable employment” clause. but I do not think so. That’s too bad, because Tyra would have some legal grounds to withhold at least part of Petrino’s buyout, since he chose to take an FCS head coaching job worth only $250k per year.

Petrino’s contract did not include that clause (mitigating damages).

Petrino’s contract did not include that clause (mitigating damages).
Common law of contracts required that you mitigate your damages by trying to find other employment. I presume these coaching contract have negotiated exemptions from the common law.

I wish this was true but an FCS school is where Petrino is at this stage in his career. And, IMO that’s where he’ll stay. Can’t see him digging out of it again!

What if he wins a lot? He’ll be back soon in D1 & then onto P5. The man can coach & only had one spectacularly bad season. Now he’s a liar & a not a very nice person but if he returns to his winning ways he’ll get another chance

ADVERTISEMENT