ADVERTISEMENT

Finally a beat writer without an agenda and sensible C.L.Brown

Lotta feel good stuff in that article. But I didn’t see much in the way of compelling arguments why Top 10 recruiting classes will be the norm under Kenny Payne. And I don’t agree with the “NCAA cloud” defense when it didn’t appear to harm anyone else.

Brown would have been better off trying to convince me why (lack of) talent was at the root of our problems last year. We don’t know how much a good recruiting class is gonna matter…

Zipp, can you not make the distinction that the cloud UofL was under was due to being a repeat offender? I find that you not considering this obvious difference with the other programs hard to understand.

These other programs had a whole lot more rope than Louisville. They had more options and a far less ominous outlook than Louisville. And they were proved to be right despite Louisville not receiving additional penalties.

All of those recruits that turned away from Louisville truly believed there was a total mess at Louisville that either more sanctions or a lack of leadership would prove. No way was Louisville a viable option.

On the other hand, the other programs involved in the FBI sting had nothing like this happening. There is a clear distinction.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Zipp, can you not make the distinction that the cloud UofL was under was due to being a repeat offender? I find that you not considering this obvious difference with the other programs hard to understand.

These other programs had a whole lot more rope than Louisville. They had more options and a far less ominous outlook than Louisville. And they were proved to be right despite Louisville not receiving additional penalties.

All of those recruits that turned away from Louisville truly believed there was a total mess at Louisville that either more sanctions or a lack of leadership would prove. No way was Louisville a viable option.

On the other hand, the other programs involved in the FBI sting had nothing like this happening. There is a clear distinction.
How does a repeat offender stack up against a coach who was directly implicated in pay-for-play?

Pitino’s charge was not informing the NCAA about a rumor involving DePaul.

No one anywhere had the fallout experienced by U of L. I wonder why…

I clicked on a couple a couple of other articles by C.L. before I went limit up and found them full of insight and not the usual anti-UofL bias the C-J normally displays. I may have to reconsider a digital subscription. Can't believe I just said that.

Last edited:
Lotta feel good stuff in that article. But I didn’t see much in the way of compelling arguments why Top 10 recruiting classes will be the norm under Kenny Payne. And I don’t agree with the “NCAA cloud” defense when it didn’t appear to harm anyone else.

Brown would have been better off trying to convince me why (lack of) talent was at the root of our problems last year. We don’t know how much a good recruiting class is gonna matter…
Couldn’t agree more. IMHO, the talent level was never as bad as portrayed, certainly not a 4-28 level bad. That leaves a lot of weight on the shoulders of the coaches. I’ll remain a skeptic until I see the product on the court. Truly, recruiting is great, but it doesn’t solve all problems. See: Calipari, John.

It was his first full cycle to recruit and he obviously did better than last year. There are some real nice prospects in the fold, yes.

But one thing the article didn't mention is the biggest question that I have.

Can he keep the core of these prospects with the program and out of the portal to get the desired results in the future and build the program this way in this era? The author of the article points out the portal but only the one way part of who we gain out of the portal. The author doesn't question who we will lose to the portal.

There are a lot of questions. But this is a big one.

Reactions: LouisvilleKid79
We only have limited data. We can all cherry pick our points. He landed a top 5 class with no cloud. Timing of hire last year impacted high school recruiting not the cloud.

Portal there is no one can predict the portal. The roster more than anything will dictate what the staff does in recruiting. Next year maybe more transfers than high school kids. It is a young roster with talent.

Success or failure is 100 percent in KP’s hands.

As disgusted as I was about 4-28, I as a fan am willing to give a mulligan and forget about it. Payne is the coach next year regardless of my opinion, so I may as well root for the Cards to win. The incoming class/transfers look very good, especially within the context of coming off of a 4-28 season. This roster should go to the NCAA Tournament and anything less than that is unacceptable.

This UofL team will be thrust into the fire early next season with the Empire Classic featuring IU, UConn, and Texas in November. They will not have the benefit of a long early season cupcake schedule.

Will this be a horrible rerun of last seasons Maui Invitational? We'll find out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT