ADVERTISEMENT

Field Hockey knocked out of ACC Tournament

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
The old adage "they who score most usually win, unless it's golf" held true in Durham yesterday, as #6 seed Louisville Field Hockey was defeated by #3 seed Virginia 1-0. A Cavs goal with 4:30 left in the first quarter did the trick for Virginia.

Louisville must now wait until Sunday night to see if they'll make the NCAA Tournament or not. The Cards started the season 8-1, but finished 4-6, so they'd be a long shot for the nine-team "at-large" group. 10 conferences get their conference winner into the NCAA Tournament. Louisville dropped from a #4 ranking nationally to a #12 ranking.

Post game Justine Sowry:

“Tough game, tough loss. I think the first half was pretty competitive between both teams, back-and-forth with momentum changes, but in the second half, we were lights out, dominant. I’m just so proud of the way we played with the ball, playing Louisville field hockey and defending as a unit. We had our chances to win, unfortunately we were unable to put one in the back of the net. Now we wait. Our resume is still strong. We’ll be watching closely. I think we still have a chance and with the hockey that we’re playing, a potential opponent in the NCAA tournament would not want to face the Louisville field hockey team.”

Selection show is Sunday night, 10 p.m. at ncaa.com

--sonja--

Agreed. With the strangely minimal field my guess is UofL may be left watching the tourney. Strange how they spiraled the second half of their season. I hope heading into next season coach can find a remedy for the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT