ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Scrimmages

jpa2825

One-Star Poster
Feb 15, 2021
I was looking for scheduled start times for the 2 announced scrimmages (v. Purdue on 9.24 and @ Miami (OH) @ Prasco Park near Cincinnati on 9.18). I didn't find anything on the GoCards.com website, but Prasco Park's website has the game starting at 11:30 AM on SUN, SEP 18.

If you're not familiar with it, Prasco Park is religiously affiliated and everything is free (even concessions). They hosted the Reds alternate site during Covid and I've heard nothing but good things about the facility and the way it is run. Should be a good venue to see some Fall Ball.

My guess is McD won't set the start time for the Purdue game until the home football game against USF gets a scheduled kickoff time. They usually go before or after to try to route some fans attending the football game to Jim Patterson for a few innings to stir up interest.

If anyone hears anything different, please post.

Reactions: earsky
There should be intra squad scrimmages starting soon. Perhaps as soon as this weekend.

Didn't get out to the intra squad scrimmage yesterday but per Twitter I saw some of the best performances of the day.
Guys, it looks as though Patrick Forbes from Bowling Green may be the next coming of Brendan McKay. I know, I know what you're thinking. That's crazy.
Three for three yesterday at the plate. I didn't expect to see him doing anything other than pitching. I sure hope I'm right.

Other top performers- Grundy and Freshman Biven from New Albany on the bump and Noah Smith.

They do it again today at 3. Hoping to see this Forbes kid pitch today.

Actually, Forbes did pitch yesterday 😳
Two innings, no hits and 3 KS.
There was another Freshman that had a good day. Blane Schmitt, who I believe is a first baseman had three hits.
Remember these new names. They appear to be serious newcomers for pt.

Got over today. Unlike last year there are roster sheets floating around but I didn't get one. There are some good looking Freshmen but they'll have a hard time getting into the everyday rotation.
There are a few that could though...

Saw the last couple of inning on SAT.
  • Hawkes was very strong for 2 innings
  • Galvan velo was good but location was not great and couldn't spot breaking ball
  • LH (49) that looked very similar to Kuehner throwing motion found a lot of barrels in the last half inning.
  • Knap was playing 2B, Smith was at SS and Beard was playing 3B
  • #30 was playing 1B and looked the part at the plate in 1 AB. Long frame in a left handed bat.
  • Hawkins crushed HR to LF that as a no-doubter off the bat.
  • Can't recall, but I think Anderson was also playing 2B
  • A few nice plays in the OF.
  • Payton was catching for 1 team. Did not recognize the other C.

Saw the last couple of inning on SAT.
  • Hawkes was very strong for 2 innings
  • Galvan velo was good but location was not great and couldn't spot breaking ball
  • LH (49) that looked very similar to Kuehner throwing motion found a lot of barrels in the last half inning.
  • Knap was playing 2B, Smith was at SS and Beard was playing 3B
  • #30 was playing 1B and looked the part at the plate in 1 AB. Long frame in a left handed bat.
  • Hawkins crushed HR to LF that as a no-doubter off the bat.
  • Can't recall, but I think Anderson was also playing 2B
  • A few nice plays in the OF.
  • Payton was catching for 1 team. Did not recognize the other C.
Yeah I got there 5 minutes before it started and couldn't get my hands on the roster sheet|. At least they have one this year. I was having trouble with names and faces except for Gillen #5.
I did see two outstanding catches in the outfield. Humphrey robbed Gillen on an over-the-fence top 10 play. King made an outstanding diving catch in left and Knap made a great play up the middle.

I expect a full report fellas. Lol
I'll be on my way to Pawleys Island tomorrow but I'll be in Patterson next Saturday.

Reactions: nccardfan
I expect a full report fellas. Lol
I'll be on my way to Pawleys Island tomorrow but I'll be in Patterson next Saturday.
I think they moved next weekend against Purdue to SUN the 25th. It was originally announced as SAT the 24th.

Went to the scrimmages yesterday at Prasco Park in Mason, OH. I live about 10 miles from there and had no idea the ballpark existed. It's a top-notch facility.
The Cards won both 7 inning scrimmages, 11-3 and 1-0. The second game was scoreless till the top of the 7th when Louisville manufactured a run with an infield single, stolen base, sac fly and single.
There were far more Louisville fans present than Miami fans.

Agree as to the facility. Given that the Reds used it for the "taxi squad" during the shortened 2020 COVID season, I expected it to be nice.

I only stayed for the 1st game but a few observations:
  • Schmeltz got hit pretty hard in the 1st inning. Settled down after that but a runner thrown out at the plate on a very nice tandem relay on a ball off the wall helped keep them to 1 run. Couple of hard hit outs.
  • I was surprised Schmeltz pitched 3 innings. Pitch count must have been low.
  • 49, who I referenced above as their delivery looking a lot like Kuehner's, is Justin West from Paducah Tilghman. He struggled with control, walking 2 and hitting a batter but got out of his inning unscathed.
  • 30, Tucker Biven from New Albany, pitched an inning and did well. Watched him warm up in the bullpen and his compatriots seemed impressed. They referenced him as a closer or "Jared replacement" which I assume means Poland.
  • Grundy gave up a couple of runs but seemed OK.
  • Liggett worked well.
  • Bats were slow to wake up as they were held to 2 hits through 4 or 5.
  • Beard hit a "no-doubter" after Cards had manufactured a run or 2.
  • Things broke open in the 5th with a bases clearing triple by Payton.
  • Defense looked solid other than a "little league" sequence in the 1st on a short fly ball that Beard called for but couldn't get which Humphries picked up and the team threw it around the orchard a bit after that.
  • Knap played all innings I saw at SS and made a couple nice plays.
  • Anderson at 3B
  • Beard at 2B
  • Cook (#45) at 1B is a big target which helps.
  • Hawkins started in LF and moved to CF later.
  • Benson started in CF and moved to LF when he and Hawkins switched.
  • I forget who replaced Humphries in RF.
  • Forbes was the EH in GM1 and had a nice opposite field single after a "sword" in his 1st AB.
  • Didn't see who replaced Payton at C but think it may have been #31.
Any idea where Luke Seed is?

Agree as to the facility. Given that the Reds used it for the "taxi squad" during the shortened 2020 COVID season, I expected it to be nice.

• Schmeltz got hit pretty hard in the 1st inning. Settled down after that but a runner thrown out at the plate on a very nice tandem relay on a ball off the wall helped keep them to 1 run. Couple of hard hit outs.
  • 49, who I referenced above as their delivery looking a lot like Kuehner's, is Justin West from Paducah Tilghman. He struggled with control, walking 2 and hitting a batter but got out of his inning unscathed.
  • 30, Tucker Biven from New Albany, pitched an inning and did well. Watched him warm up in the bullpen and his compatriots seemed impressed. They referenced him as a closer or "Jared replacement" which I assume means Poland.
  • Liggett worked well.
  • Defense looked solid other than a "little league" sequence in the 1st on a short fly ball that Beard called for but couldn't get which Humphries picked up and the team threw it around the orchard a bit after that.
  • Anderson at 3B
  • Beard at 2B
  • Forbes was the EH in GM1 and had a nice opposite field single after a "sword" in his 1st AB.
Good stuff jpa. I think 31 is Will Vierner from Wisconsin. He and Matt Klein from Trinity battling for that back up spot.

• Liggett worked well.
  • Anderson at 3B
  • Beard at 2B
Thanks for the great summary! I hope I'm wrong on this and Luke is trying to rehab but I suspect Luke's baseball career may be over.

Reactions: Bardman
Oh hell,the rain’s moving out,the skies are starting to clear and it’s shaping up as a great day for baseball ⚾️.
First pitch 1 pm against the Boilermakers. This will be the last time the Cards lineup against somebody other than themselves before February.

Good stuff jpa. I think 31 is Will Vierner from Wisconsin. He and Matt Klein from Trinity battling for that back up spot.
I stand corrected. I had Vierner and Klein mixed up. Klein is 31 and Vierner is 5 ala JB(?)

Yes indeed. Lol
Hey Kilen is 5 and Vierner is 4
Killen starting at ss and Knap at 2nd

Last edited:
Knap at 2d really seems to make sense (at least to me).
Just can't keep a better defensive ss down. I'm sure Knap has to deal with this but knowing him he will rise to the challenge.
Btw, the Cards are feasting on Purdue pitching. If we were wondering about the home runs they've hit 6 thru 6.
Hawkins has 2. King,Biven,Bamberg and Humphrey all have 1.

Okay so I didn't get into a lot of detail, but we got there early enough to see how juiced up Purdue was for this scrimmage.
The Cards took most of the air out of their charge early and often.
Purdue has some legitimate star power at the front of their lineup, but Grundy,Webster,Kuehner and Koger held them in check,scattering 8 hits or so over 7 innings as the Cards rolled in the first game.
Juco 1st baseman Ryan McCoy and Freshman catcher Brantley Bramberg joined a veteran group of fielders that blasted 6 homers in the first game.
King,Hawkins and Humphrey in the outfield and Kilen,Knap and Beard at 3rd base. Beard and Humphrey are just phenomenal ball players.
Only watched 2 innings of the second game but coach had an entirely different 9 going. Yes, this is a talented and deep group guys.
At one point, I was having deja vu of the scene in The Natural when Pop and his assistant coach were sitting in the dugout after having gone through all the losses and Roy is taking batting practice. They're just on cloud 9 as the Knights are in the middle of a winning streak,talking about some random subject. 😆

Last edited:
Saw the 1st 6 innings of GM1. Won't repeat what was said above.

Interested to see how Koger does in YR2. I am hoping for good things.

Looked like Payton took a foul tip off his meat hand and was replaced by Bamberg at C. Hope it was precautionary.

Really impressed by the depth of the squad. Sometimes that is a cop out for having average players up & down the bench. Don't think that's the case here.

Pizza Bowl should be very competitive.

For now, weakness appears to be established starting pitching.

Any word on Riley Phillips ("Big Red")? I can't recall seeing him this fall.

Any word on Riley Phillips ("Big Red")? I can't recall seeing him this fall.
Don't know what's up with Red. I've yet to see him either. Needless to say, that established starting pitching you referred to takes a huge blow if he's not ready by March or so. Really counting on him to pick up where he left off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT