ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Directors Cup

Someone's not going to like this.
depositphotos_4346323-stock-photo-zipper-on-white-background-isolated.jpg

Best ranking ever in the Fall for UofL. And with a potentially very good Spring semester coming up. The ranking kinda speaks for itself.

I wish there was a huge cash award for those rankings...

I wish there was a huge cash award for those rankings...

Yeah, that would be great. But these rankings are about PR and they do, indeed, give these higher ranked schools, a public relations boost. That might be worth some financial positive gains.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: PHCARD
The huge cash award for our fall 2019 excellence increased sales of ACC Network subscriptions throughout the country (and especially in and around the Louisville area), plus renewed interest and increased season ticket sales for UofL football’s 2020 season after a much better than expected 2019 performance. In other words, it will be reflected in the 2019-20 revenue numbers when those are reported.

The huge cash award for our fall 2019 excellence increased sales of ACC Network subscriptions throughout the country (and especially in and around the Louisville area), plus renewed interest and increased season ticket sales for UofL football’s 2020 season after a much better than expected 2019 performance. In other words, it will be reflected in the 2019-20 revenue numbers when those are reported.
LOL...can I quote you on that?

To hell with revenue which set a record last year... How about just a little LESS red ink this year? THAT would be progress. Got any quotes on that? :D

Change-in-Net-Position-2019.jpg

To hell with revenue which set a record last year... How about just a little LESS red ink this year? THAT would be progress. Got any quotes on that? :D

How come every thread I see you on turns into a thread about revenue or budget or Vince?

The reasoning behind the revenue concern is, $ problems could lead to stalling success in the programs, right? Abilities to bring in top hires, fund the programs, etc...$ problems could = ability to win problems.

I'm sure there's more to it than that.

But, with this D Cup finish, shouldn't that at least quell to some extent the impact of $ problems concern? Or, would we need to see a few more years results. If that's the case, let's all hope we live long enough to review it!

The reasoning behind the revenue concern is, $ problems could lead to stalling success in the programs, right? Abilities to bring in top hires, fund the programs, etc...$ problems could = ability to win problems.

I'm sure there's more to it than that.

But, with this D Cup finish, shouldn't that at least quell to some extent the impact of $ problems concern? Or, would we need to see a few more years results. If that's the case, let's all hope we live long enough to review it!
No question all of this stuff matters. We've already talked about football and basketball cuts, and everyone likes the job that Mack and Satterfield are doing. Assume you're one of these longstanding coaches who's also performing--or will perform--well in the DC...

Men's Golf -0.9%
Women's Golf -3.9%
Men's Swimming -1.1%
Women's Swimming -2.5%
Women's Volleyball -1.0%
Women's Track/CC -1.7%

Those are their FY2020 budget cuts which are necessary because we evidently can't control spending in other areas. (2019 revenue set a record.) After more than a decade of systematic budget increases, that's the reward some of these coaches are getting along with Mack and Satterfield.

Will these coaches hang around to see the benefits that come with the DC results? Or will they go where the financial situation isn't as dire?...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
No question all of thus stuff matters. We've already talked about football and basketball cuts, and everyone likes the job that Mack and Satterfield are doing. Assume you're one of these longstanding coaches who's also performing--or will perform--well in the DC...

Men's Golf -0.9%
Women's Golf -3.9%
Men's Swimming -1.1%
Women's Swimming -2.5%
Women's Volleyball -1.0%
Women's Track/CC -1.7%

Those are their FY2020 budget cuts which are necessary because we evidently can't control spending in other areas. (2019 revenue set a record.) After more than a decade of systematic budget increases, that's the reward some of these coaches are getting along with Mack and Satterfield.

Will these coaches hang around to see the benefits that come with the DC results? Or will they go where the financial situation isn't as dire?...

Great info thx Z.

Reactions: zipp

Isn’t that referring to 20-21?

No question all of this stuff matters. We've already talked about football and basketball cuts, and everyone likes the job that Mack and Satterfield are doing. Assume you're one of these longstanding coaches who's also performing--or will perform--well in the DC...

Men's Golf -0.9%
Women's Golf -3.9%
Men's Swimming -1.1%
Women's Swimming -2.5%
Women's Volleyball -1.0%
Women's Track/CC -1.7%

These cuts are puny. I don’t think the operation of a program is affected significantly.

Isn’t that referring to 20-21?
2019-2020 revenue numbers are complete on June 30, 2020. That's the end of FY2020, and are normally reported around November each year.
These cuts are puny. I don’t think the operation of a program is affected significantly.
First, those are nominal cuts. The inflation rate for college athletics expenses is around 4-1/2% annually. So subtract 4-1/2 from each of those numbers.

The REAL financial investment in women's swimming was cut 7% this year. In women's golf, it was cut almost 8-1/2%. Men's basketball was hacked by over 10%.

Nothing "puny" about those numbers, esp. for programs that were systematically seeing 6-8% INCREASES for more than a decade. That's a huge trend change like everything else financially...

Last edited:
There’s always fat that can be cut during harder times. As long as the fat trimming is made from the top down, then folks within the org tend to agree that “ expenditure” was wasteful.

There’s always fat that can be cut during harder times. As long as the fat trimming is made from the top down, then folks within the org tend to agree that “ expenditure” was wasteful.
It's also not just what you're doing. It's what everyone else is doing around you. If Duke's and Carolina's budgets are 5% higher, your decline just magnified by that much.

You're driving 50 mph, and the car in the oncoming lane is doing 50. The impact of your crash is 100. Hurts a little more...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT