ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion cut by 6,000 seats????

MtCardinal

2000+
Jun 7, 2001
Someone told me they heard this. I have been expecting some tom-foolery for awhile. I noticed in the new expansion pictures, the infrastructure for the "point" doesn't seem to exist. Let me guess they "cut" the expansion to just under the, Krog"? Anyone else hear anything?

Reactions: Vestavia57
They cut it from 10,000 to 6000, I guess this is the new trend. Instead of growing and getting bigger we will down size. What should we expect we fired the most productive AD in school history and the top fundraiser. Then they are replaced with inexperienced people who don't have clue.

They cut it from 10,000 to 6000, I guess this is the new trend. Instead of growing and getting bigger we will down size. What should we expect we fired the most productive AD in school history and the top fundraiser. Then they are replaced with inexperienced people who don't have clue.
Some people are so dense....our previous AD misled us by saying 10,000 when in reality it was 6000. And that's it !

Some people are so dense....our previous AD misled us by saying 10,000 when in reality it was 6000. And that's it !
Any proof of that or is that simply your supposition?

According to Tyra the university is in the “process of completing a request for proposal on the project that will include the exact number”. To me that indicates that they have some control over what the number will be.

Last edited:
I believe Eric Crawford dug up the original blueprints and the added capacity was around 5,900.

I want to know and we will find out
If the new guys renegotiated the $60 million
existing contract for approximately 4,000
seats less than they should get at least a10 million dollar refund.
Someone is covering up a bad deal to cover their a$$
This looks to be a deal to hurt the football program.

Last edited:
It is not a bad deal. The major part of the expansion was making the whole football complex bigger which includes a major upgrade to meeting and weight room.

The expansion was about increasing the number of luxury suites and suites in general which is where the major money comes from. The reality is the majority of those seats will be general admission which mean they will be generating a fraction of what suite and club level seats have and will generate.

God lord they exaggerated to the press, shocker, the financial fundamentals are still in place as long as they are able to keep those suites and club level sold.

I vaguely remember TJ talking about 6000 seats last spring. As long as the design stayed the same I’m good. I don’t care whether our stadium holds more than Kroger Field LoL. Always makes me laugh. Because even though it’s slightly smaller it’s so much nicer. And with the end zone closed and the new screens it’s going to be awesome. And really loud.

Last edited:
my prediction is that in ten to fifteen years capacity will be 10,000-15,000 seats less than now. new data shows college football attendance down by second sharpest ever. nfl down. and parents are keeping their kids from playing. with better flat screens and slow motion why waste 6 hours fo your weekend going to a game when you can watch at home in 90 minutes without commercials or halftime.

the future is going to be less people wanting to go to games so how are you going to get people there? they are going to make the seats much bigger and wider, more aisle space and more aisles, eventually will feel like going to new movie theaters with reclined seats. food will be delivered and will be restaurant quality not game quality. you'll eventually have at every seat a replay monitor or between every two seats with rewind capabilities so you can rewatch. basically the model they have now of packing people in crappy seats is dying and old. new wave is to make people want to go the the game and be comfortable.

so in ten years, mark my word, there will be a contraction of seats and more, wider aisles added. concessions will be ordered from the seats and delivered. comfort and experiences will be the selling points not the game itself. otherwise, why would i leave my house to pay money for uncomfortable seats, horrible food, high prices, and long waits while sitting outside?

That's why I'm happy that Tyra seems to have fan engagement high on his priority list. If you don't have fans in the seat, then Texas Roadhouse isn't going to spend money on a peanut toss. So seeking out advertising at the expense of fan experience is a bad path to follow at this point. Students that are engaged are much more likely to end up being alumni that give.

so in ten years, mark my word, there will be a contraction of seats and more, wider aisles added. concessions will be ordered from the seats and delivered. comfort and experiences will be the selling points not the game itself. otherwise, why would i leave my house to pay money for uncomfortable seats, horrible food, high prices, and long waits while sitting outside?

All that isn't going to happen. They will just put in folding seats, maybe a roof, and that's it. The schools will just focus more on broadcasting instead of trying to boost attendance.

All that isn't going to happen. They will just put in folding seats, maybe a roof, and that's it. The schools will just focus more on broadcasting instead of trying to boost attendance.
The great Sonny Werblen owner of the NY Giants and TV Mogul said one time that some day the TV experience will be so good you will have to give away tickets to NFL games to get people in the stands to show enthusiasm .
He probably over stated it a bit but my guess is the trend will continue downward due to not only HDTV, the fact young people have so many more activities today, other entertainment competition etc.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Well, TV could just stop televising so many darn games. Force fans to come or miss out on the game. Of course....that would take a miracle to happen. o_O;)

The schools will just focus more on broadcasting instead of trying to boost attendance.
yes, i'm sure they are going to stop trying to sell seats nd focus on tv because 60,000 seats x $100 seat price per average x 5 games = $30 million in seat revenue each year not counting PSA's so i'm sure their focus will be on tv since they are already getting the split of the ACC tv money and will not get any money on their own. . regretfully, they'll improve the seating and concession and reduce seats. mark this post in ten years you'll see i'm right. even commonwealth stadium reduced their seats in their last renovation

Well, TV could just stop televising so many darn games. Force fans to come or miss out on the game. Of course....that would take a miracle to happen. o_O;)
NFL tried that years ago and found it would not work . Reason given was that now fans are more nationally oriented . IOWs if UK or UL are blacked out fans would just stay home to watch Bama, Clemson, Mich etc on whatever the best game of the day is that weekend.

Colleges really have a problem and there will be no easy fix other than lowering price of tickets ,concessions, allowing students to use their meal cards at games, better Wi Fi , and whatever else they can think of to get young people to take up the habit as older fans die off.

...our previous AD misled us by saying 10,000 when in reality it was 6000. And that's it !
I'd like someone to explain to me the rationale of this Marketing 101 sales pitch and why you would OVERstate your capacity...

"Now's your rare chance to buy tickets in the new expansion, and we have thousands of seats available!!..."

Reactions: Chapman123
I'd like someone to explain to me the rationale of this Marketing 101 sales pitch and why you would OVERstate your capacity...

"Now's your rare chance to buy tickets in the new expansion, and we have thousands of seats available!!..."
You have a very valid point there. Doesn't make what I said untrue but your point makes perfect sense

I put in a seat relocation request a few months ago. The process has been delayed almost two months now due to this new seating issue with the renovation. I don't know if it's BS or what, but they are unable to honor relo's at this time until a firm plan is in place with the number of seats in the new addition. It's a TicketMaster/seating chart thing.

I put in a seat relocation request a few months ago. The process has been delayed almost two months now due to this new seating issue with the renovation. I don't know if it's BS or what, but they are unable to honor relo's at this time until a firm plan is in place with the number of seats in the new addition. It's a TicketMaster/seating chart thing.

Someone told me they heard this. I have been expecting some tom-foolery for awhile. I noticed in the new expansion pictures, the infrastructure for the "point" doesn't seem to exist. Let me guess they "cut" the expansion to just under the, Krog"? Anyone else hear anything?
Yes
Let's look attached the original bids for the number of seats...before the UofK
BOYS took over the new bids.

yes, i'm sure they are going to stop trying to sell seats nd focus on tv because 60,000 seats x $100 seat price per average x 5 games = $30 million in seat revenue each year not counting PSA's so i'm sure their focus will be on tv since they are already getting the split of the ACC tv money and will not get any money on their own. . regretfully, they'll improve the seating and concession and reduce seats. mark this post in ten years you'll see i'm right. even commonwealth stadium reduced their seats in their last renovation

I'll mark the post, just to see that you're wrong. You aren't going to be able to boost up the ticket price that much. That's part of the problem now. Die hards are going to show up anyway. That's not the problem. The problem is the casual fan. You aren't getting them to pay $100 a ticket regardless.

Reactions: Vestavia57
I'll mark the post, just to see that you're wrong. You aren't going to be able to boost up the ticket price that much. That's part of the problem now. Die hards are going to show up anyway. That's not the problem. The problem is the casual fan. You aren't getting them to pay $100 a ticket regardless.
I agree . For non premium seats At UK we have something called a pocket pass this year which figures out to about $30 per game.
Our price on The lesser OOC games is only $25 . However we bump that up to $70 when we play U guys. SEC games range from $45 to $65 for some reason.
Of course what bumps the average up is the premium tickets donation which goes from $100 to $1500 a ticket. However there are over ten thousand no premium tickets and we had about 5000 empty seats per game last year. Also MB gave away a bunch of tickets to service and charitable organizations. Just thought those numbers would add to ur discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT